Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 06-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Online league file clarification

What can be taken out of the zip file and the owners still have what they need?

The /news directory has alot of stuff in it, including the league HTMLs.

The players directory inside the news folder must house the ratings as I just zipped a file without it in there and no ratings show to the owners.

It would help if we knew what could be taken out to minimize the file size, but what must be in there for league functionality.

Markus, can you speak to this?
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
SC_Dawg
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol
What can be taken out of the zip file and the owners still have what they need?

The /news directory has alot of stuff in it, including the league HTMLs.

The players directory inside the news folder must house the ratings as I just zipped a file without it in there and no ratings show to the owners.

It would help if we knew what could be taken out to minimize the file size, but what must be in there for league functionality.

Markus, can you speak to this?
Cooley, I was told Fidel Montoya was "efforting" this one. I would also like to know these things because it does make a determination on whether or not I ever start a OOTP 2006 online league.
SC_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:35 AM   #3
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Best I can tell, the players.dat file no longer contains all the ratings. They seem to be housed in the players directory.

I initially zipped only the .dat files and messages, but the owners couldn't see the player ratings. I then added the players directory and they can see them, but that's an html file for every player, increasing the zip size by 10Megs.

Smallest I've got an initial league file for 4 leagues is around 13 Megs.

I'm hoping fidel or Markus give me some good news, because file sizes that large will be the death blow to dial up users in an online league environment.
Really no need for the files to have to be that large.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:45 AM   #4
Stu
All Star Starter

That can't be right because my news\html\players file is empty.

I think most of the html files can be deleted other than the box scores and game logs. Obviously the images don't need to be included in every league file. The important thing is to clean out the news folder because this is where the game puts the reports you create.

I'll try to play around with this more tomorrow, but I have a feeling league file size is going to be a problem.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:54 AM   #5
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

All I know is after the zip file without the players folder, they couldnt see ratings.
After adding that folder to the zip file, they could see the ratings.

With past versions, all you really needed were the .dat files, boxscores, and game logs.

That doesnt seem to be the case here.

Another thing I don't like: Past versions created the html reports in a folder outside your .lg folder. This one places them inside the .lg folder, forcing WinZip to run though those 12XXX files every time you create a zip file. You have to wait as it goes through all of those files just to delete them, lengthening the time to zip a file by about 5 minutes, IMO.

Markus, please let us tell the game where to put the HTMLs instead of hardcoding it to place them in the .lg folder AND giving us the option to copy them to a folder of our choice.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:10 AM   #6
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

bump
Old 06-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
SC_Dawg
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Best I can tell, the players.dat file no longer contains all the ratings. They seem to be housed in the players directory.

I initially zipped only the .dat files and messages, but the owners couldn't see the player ratings. I then added the players directory and they can see them, but that's an html file for every player, increasing the zip size by 10Megs.

Smallest I've got an initial league file for 4 leagues is around 13 Megs.

I'm hoping fidel or Markus give me some good news, because file sizes that large will be the death blow to dial up users in an online league environment.
Really no need for the files to have to be that large.
Hmmmm... This morning I just did a quick test where I created a new .lg folder and included in it only the .dat files from my test league. Then I opened up the game and loaded the new .lg. When I went into the team I am the GM of I could see all of their ratings.

Now if I went and tried to open a box score it gave me an error because I did not copy the box scores or game logs over. But I actually expected that.

This is confusing if as you say Cooley in your league your owners could not see the ratings. Let me ask you this, could they not see any ratings or just the ratings of theor own team or just the ratings of another team?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
SC_Dawg
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Markus, please let us tell the game where to put the HTMLs instead of hardcoding it to place them in the .lg folder AND giving us the option to copy them to a folder of our choice.
Have not tried this but on the Create Reports & FTP Upload screen there is a field called "Folder to copy file into (optional;PRESS ENTER). Is this what you are looking for Cooley?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
battists
Hall Of Famer

I haven't had a chance to play with this either, but please, if someone figures out a magic answer, please PM me. I'd be happy to update the game guide with that information.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
Stu
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Dawg
Have not tried this but on the Create Reports & FTP Upload screen there is a field called "Folder to copy file into (optional;PRESS ENTER). Is this what you are looking for Cooley?
That copys the files into a seperate folder but I think what's he's looking for is the ability to specify which folder they initially get created in. This would reduce the need to clean out the html folder when creating your league file.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
Recte44
Global Moderator

I REALLY wanted this to be a built in feature to OOTP2006. Guess not.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #12
arod23
Major Leagues

This is a critical issue, the lg file is way too large now. If you zip everything except the html files, does the game recreate those for online owners? If not, then those files are needed to evaluate roster moves, lineups, etc. Not much use if you can only change linueps without looking at stats and other information.
arod23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #13
Stu
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod23
This is a critical issue, the lg file is way too large now. If you zip everything except the html files, does the game recreate those for online owners? If not, then those files are needed to evaluate roster moves, lineups, etc. Not much use if you can only change linueps without looking at stats and other information.
As far as I can tell, the game recreates *most* of the html files. I'm running a test now and will post my findings.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

You guys have got off on the HTML creation issue. Thats a separate issue that needs to be fixed.

That's not what the initial post was asking.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #15
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Dawg
This is confusing if as you say Cooley in your league your owners could not see the ratings. Let me ask you this, could they not see any ratings or just the ratings of theor own team or just the ratings of another team?
He reported seeing no ratings for any player.

I then included the /players directory from the news directory and he could see all the ratings.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #16
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
That copys the files into a seperate folder but I think what's he's looking for is the ability to specify which folder they initially get created in. This would reduce the need to clean out the html folder when creating your league file.

Wrong again.

I'm asking, as the first post says, which files MUST be in the league zip file.

What you refer to is a separate issue. No need to have them created inside the .lg folder with an option to copy them elsewhere. Just let us tell it where to create them as in past versions.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #17
Stu
All Star Starter

Ok here's what I found. I'm going to go through directory by directory on what should be included, should be left out and stuff you have the option of leaving out.

This test was done with a 20 team league with 3 levels of minor leagues.

root:
.DAT files - obviously must be left in

import_export - delete files, contains export files from teams
messages - delete files, messages are re-created when the game is loaded
page_links - don't delete, contains bookmarks
news:
html
box scores -
optional. Contains box score files. This grows very quickly (78mb by mid-season) I recommend deleting these files but it is important you keep a copy that contains all of them on your PC. Box scores will not be viewable in the game if you delete these, but will still be viewable on the league website if included in the html reports.
coaches - delete. I had coaches turned off but I assume this works like the players directory. See below.
game_logs - delete. Game creates these files as needed.
history - delete. Game creates these files as needed.
images - optional. I would include these as a seperate DL or in the first league file only but it was only 1MB for my league, so can be left in.
leagues - delete. Game creates these files as needed.
players - delete. Game creates these files as needed.
reports - I've never seen any files in this directory.
teams - delete. Game creates these files as needed.
temp - I've never seen any files in this directory.
txt
leagues -
contains league news and transaction files which should not be deleted. Also contains game_logs which the game uses to create html game logs. I recommend deleting these because it grows very quickly. Game logs will not be viewable in the game if you delete these, but will still be viewable on the league website if included in the html reports. Another option I recommend is to go into Game Setup and select Only Save Game Logs from Human Teams, which will prevent it from saving game logs from minor league teams.
players -
don't delete. Contains player histories. Technically you could delete these and make player histories only viewable in the html reports, but these files are so small when zipped that it doesn't matter.
teams -
don't delete. contains team logs. (transactions, development, injuries, etc) The game uses these files to create the corresponding html pages. Like players, they could be deleted but are small enough zipped to include.

Notes:
- Zipped League file at start was 4.7 MB
- Zipped League file at season's end was 7.7 MB, without html box scores and game logs
- You should create and upload your html reports before deleting anything.
- You should keep a "master" copy of the league on your PC that contains all box scores and game logs. You can also divide these up by year.

EDIT - Battists, feel free to use anything here that is useful to the game guide

Last edited by Stu; 06-08-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #18
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

stu,

Thanks.

One note on the boxscores. You mention it grows quickly, but you can delete the old ones and only include the ones from the past sim without inflating the zip file size by too much.

Not sure why my test owner couldnt see ratings initially without the players directory, but I'll trust you on this one and use this as a guide.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #19
marky32082
Minors (Triple A)

This should be stickied if it's accurate.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #20
fantom1979
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky32082
This should be stickied if it's accurate.
I dont play in online leagues, but I completely agree.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote