Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #21
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
The only reason valve would terminate a steam account is if you were buying and selling them which is a violation. Or if you were doing really shady stuff like stealing money/fund etc.

But every online place has that. Just like all the FPS that ban your account or block your ip when caught cheating or stealing funds/money.

And its only if the game actually requires a steam account. Example you cannot launch OOTP directly from the .exe it will always launch steam first.

But plenty of Paradox games and others I recently played Underrail you can directly browse the folder and launch the game without steam even needing to be open.

Its why my CK2 time is so far done. I played the heck out of that game 7 years ago but I launched it directly from the exe not going through steam. So it doesn't even log your hours in steam since the interface is not even opened.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #22
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates View Post
It was a simple question that I asked.
My statement is factually correct.
You obviously can't understand the question asked or you don't have the ability to answer said question.
The only reason you are getting annoyed, is one could assume you don't have the ability to answer said question.
And that, answers my question on why people rent vs own, for the exact same price per asset.
Thank you for that.
As I said in another thread, I didn't even know what Steam was until OOTP gave out a Steam Key a few years back with preorders. Back then I had crappy internet and Steam turned out to be my best option. I have better internet now, so I could easily revert to direct purchase, but I love Steam. I don't have to worry about where my license is, nor how many I've used. Buy a new computer, install Steam, download the game. I like the automatic updates. 9 times out of ten, they install while I'm at work and I'm ready to play when I get home. If I'm renting, so be it.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #23
Pirates
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
The only reason valve would terminate a steam account is if you were buying and selling them which is a violation. Or if you were doing really shady stuff like stealing money/fund etc.

But every online place has that. Just like all the FPS that ban your account or block your ip when caught cheating or stealing funds/money.

And its only if the game actually requires a steam account. Example you cannot launch OOTP directly from the .exe it will always launch steam first.

But plenty of Paradox games and others I recently played Underrail you can directly browse the folder and launch the game without steam even needing to be open.

Its why my CK2 time is so far done. I played the heck out of that game 7 years ago but I launched it directly from the exe not going through steam. So it doesn't even log your hours in steam since the interface is not even opened.
Thank you.
I appreciate your answer, and although I don't agree, I respect your answer.

To be honest, I don't know what FPS means, nor do I understand how one would cheat in a video game online.
But that's my problem.

Thank you again.
Pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #24
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It was a simple question that I asked.
My statement is factually correct.
You obviously can't understand the question asked or you don't have the ability to answer said question.
The only reason you are getting annoyed, is one could assume you don't have the ability to answer said question.
And that, answers my question on why people rent vs own, for the exact same price per asset.
Thank you for that.
Okay, first: If you want to call someone dumb, just call them dumb.

Second: don't get into a fight over assets with an accountant. Your non-point might rapidly depreciate in value.

Third: Why download and apply a multitude of patches manually, sometimes several in a week, when I can have Steam do all that for me?

Finally: you are still hijacking a thread for your agenda, whatever it may be. Also, your vitriol.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.

Last edited by Westheim; 03-07-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:01 PM   #25
Pirates
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Okay, first: If you want to call someone dumb, just call them dumb.

Second: don't get into a fight over assets with an accountant. Your non-point might rapidly depreciate in value.

Third: Why download and apply a multitude of patches manually, sometimes several in a week, when I can have Steam do all that for me?

Finally: you are still hijacking a thread for your agenda, whatever it may be. Also, your vitriol.
First, I did not call you dumb.
Second, I'm a retired CPA with over 30 years experience. On my worst day I would put my accounting knowledge up against yours.
Good accounts/CPA's don't answer financial question the way you did. Nice Try.
Third, It was a simple question. I was not looking for a debate. One thoughtful educated answer, was all I was looking for.
Forth, your downloading answer, would have been a sufficient answer, thereby answering my question.
Wow...............

Last edited by Pirates; 03-07-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #26
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If your steam account is shut down(for whatever the reason) you lose access to play all your games.
That's because the steam agreement states thats all purchases are for your ability to play a game. That right can be taken away from you at anytime.

Using your example makes my point.
OOTP = You own the license for that particular individual unit/game.
Steam = You rent the license for that particular individual unit/game.

See the difference. Why rent when you can own?

You don't "own" the game, though. That was my point.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #27
Pirates
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
You don't "own" the game, though. That was my point.
I'm not sure what your definition of "OWN" is compared to my definition of "OWN" is.. But, that does not mean you are wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to give a respectful answer.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #28
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

To me OWN will always mean one thing and one thing only...….OPRAH
Old 03-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #29
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not sure what your definition of "OWN" is compared to my definition of "OWN" is.. But, that does not mean you are wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to give a respectful answer.
What if you lose your license and Esellerate(no clue if that's what it's called) shuts down completely. Markus and Co. shut down as well. Your computer crashes and you have to buy a new one.

I know this is all far fetched, but so is the getting booted from Steam example.

Last edited by David Watts; 03-07-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:31 PM   #30
Pirates
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
What if you lose your license and Esellerate(no clue if that's what it's called) shuts down completely. Markus and Co. shut down as well. Your computer crashes and you have to buy a new one.

I know this is all far fetched, but so is the getting booted from Steam example.
I would say the only difference is in the contract/agreement. Steam agreements clearly states, they have the right to close your account and you are only renting games.

Unless there is a law, I am unaware of, OOTP/Marcus has no legal right, to ever yank my ability, to play a game, that I purchased from them.

Being a retired a CPA, I would never agree to lease an asset, that I can just buy outright. (Take out all tax issues and Liability issues for the purpose of this discussion).

But, I do understand the point you are trying to make.
Thank you.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #31
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good accounts/CPA's don't answer financial question the way you did. Nice Try.
Good accountants/CPAs also don't hopelessly derail a topic that had a pretty neat and rather basic question about how many hours Steam showed they had played in OOTP... if you want deep financial philosophy as discussion topic, please seek out the Off Topic area.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #32
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
No but OOTP could ban your ootp account if you were ripping money off from users through their portals.

Every online account works that way for everything.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote