Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Garethw87

German Language support (+ others) Why not? and When?

Maybe this has been answered in the past but with mointoring FHM feedback and forums and more and more requests for other languages... Why isn't OOTP games in German at least? Considering you are Germans?!

Germany is a huge market, especially for simulator games. There is nothing better than going to the Simulation aisle in a Saturn store Its like heaven!

So yeah why no German? I understand the others would mean hiring somebody or paying for translations.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

It is A LOT of text that needs to be translated. When we did the retail version of FHM 2 the publisher wanted to translate it into German, saw the amount of text, heard how much it would cost to do it and decided to just do a german manual.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I obviously don't know of any sales numbers, but I can't imagine that they are high in Germany. I'd *guess* less than 1,000. Heck, I'm not even buying every year.

It is true that simulators are very popular in Germany, but baseball is not. It is *wildly* not. It comes not only after soccer, basketball, hockey, and claiming to be a football fan after having watched the Super Bowl (once)... it comes probably well after dressage, figure skating, and rowing.

My lone hope for a popularity boost was for a come-from-behind walkoff grand slam by Max Kepler to win the Twins a World Series, but that won't happen.

But I'd guess if anybody does a German translation, it's for like eleven people. Since baseball is not in the German-language media, any nutjob into the game through wicked ways (slowly raises hand) is familiar with the English vocabulary anyway, since that is all you get. 'Gee, I'd buy this baseball manager if only it was in German' said nobody ever.

And when I just see words like "Schlagdurchschnitt" I get sick already. Good luck translating OPS then. Or BABIP. German can be very wordy.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #4
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
It is A LOT of text that needs to be translated. When we did the retail version of FHM 2 the publisher wanted to translate it into German, saw the amount of text, heard how much it would cost to do it and decided to just do a german manual.
Thats better than nothing! Nice of you guys
Old 10-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I obviously don't know of any sales numbers, but I can't imagine that they are high in Germany. I'd *guess* less than 1,000. Heck, I'm not even buying every year.

It is true that simulators are very popular in Germany, but baseball is not. It is *wildly* not. It comes not only after soccer, basketball, hockey, and claiming to be a football fan after having watched the Super Bowl (once)... it comes probably well after dressage, figure skating, and rowing.

My lone hope for a popularity boost was for a come-from-behind walkoff grand slam by Max Kepler to win the Twins a World Series, but that won't happen.

But I'd guess if anybody does a German translation, it's for like eleven people. Since baseball is not in the German-language media, any nutjob into the game through wicked ways (slowly raises hand) is familiar with the English vocabulary anyway, since that is all you get. 'Gee, I'd buy this baseball manager if only it was in German' said nobody ever.

And when I just see words like "Schlagdurchschnitt" I get sick already. Good luck translating OPS then. Or BABIP. German can be very wordy.
That does make total sense. I guess once we get OOTP Train Sim Manager we'll for sure see a German version
Old 10-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
That does make total sense. I guess once we get OOTP Train Sim Manager we'll for sure see a German version
I can understand (even if I would not play) train simulations but Farm Simulator?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
I can understand (even if I would not play) train simulations but Farm Simulator?
Ive never tried any of the Farm sims, yet. I don't mind train sim but too much DLC

One German language game i'd love translated is Handball Manager.. hint hint guys
Old 11-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

I do wonder if Spanish and or Japanese translations would make sense, although it woukd obviouy be a lot of work.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

all the compound words wouldn't fit in the current UI (Deutsch)

Hilarous thought... just use the google translate and poop out a game with broken german translation... guaranteed some funny things will be seen. nothing like translating from a language that uses characters instead of letters, but still odd i guarantee.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-09-2017 at 08:25 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

According to the ladies and gentlemen living in the Google Translator tool thing, ERA translates to 'verdienter Laufdurchschnitt'. That doesn't even make sense. Not even in terms of baseball. That doesn't make sense as consecutive words.

Bases-clearing triple is not actually translated at all. It pukes out 'Basen-Räumung Triple'. See paragraph 1.

Hot takes come with trying to translate something as simple as the pitcher himself. Google INSISTS on the translation being 'Krug'. This is a ****ing 'Krug': https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krug_(...gSteinzeug.jpg

shortstop - Kurzschluss (which is the actual translation of short circuit)
slugging percentage - Sturz Prozentsatz (which is the percentage of times you fall down)
bases-loaded walk - Basen-beladener Spaziergang (which would actually be a nice walk with your female cousins)

ONLY GOOD THINGS CAN COME FROM THIS.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

muahahah

names aren't for translating, though. sometimes google is smart enough to notice this, nowadays... it's actually improving - as much as i joke about it above. i've seen it give the phonetical spelling as opposed to the translation recently (it was used in a sentenct, not just 1 word).

ie how you'd say the name, not the translated word... ai will destroy the world, yet..

Last edited by NoOne; 11-10-2017 at 03:57 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote