Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
chimanbj
All Star Reserve

The best thing about this game

I love to take a losing franchise and turn it around into a winner.
I love to insert myself and see how I would turn out as a baseball player.
I even enjoy making a team of supermen and seeing if they can run the table (haven't seen a 162-0 season yet).

But the best thing about this game, for me, is the historical replays. The complete randomness of players that bubble up to the top continues to amaze me. I have a monster league going now, including the standard MLB setup, with six rookie leagues, and six NCAA conferences (and growing). I keep adding a conference or two every few years to see where the game starts to bog down. But it really hasn't.

On my replays, I start in 1901, create the standard minor league structure, with ghost players, and let it go on autopilot. In the 1960s, I start making adjustments to the minor leagues, adding new leagues, and moving teams around to their proper league/division. In 2011, I added my first group of college conference (each, its own feeder league), and rookie leagues into Dominican and Venezuelan Summer Leagues.

I'm now in 2015, and I'm looking back at some of the best of the best. The home run leader is, as you probably guessed, Boog Powell. He bested everyone with 749 dingers. He's followed by A-Rod, Ran Santo (earning his HOF honors, finally), Frank Thomas and Carlos Delgado, all with over 600 homers. What happened with the Babe? Well, he was a decent pitcher for the White Sox, but never materialized as a batter. Hank Aaron still hit over 500 home runs, but he didn't turn out to be the home run champ like he is today.

Al Simmons holds the all time career batting average at .357, his entire career as a Phillie, where he was on 3 World Series championship teams. Ted Williams batted .323, so he was still pretty awesome for his career.

It's interesting to see some of the iconic names that didn't make a name for themselves. Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Mike Schmidt are a few that didn't live up to their real life careers. And that's awesome! It just goes to show that having the historical stats doesn't make it automatic that you'll be the best of the best in OOTP. The games still have to be played...
Old 10-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimanbj View Post
I love to take a losing franchise and turn it around into a winner.
I love to insert myself and see how I would turn out as a baseball player.
I even enjoy making a team of supermen and seeing if they can run the table (haven't seen a 162-0 season yet).

But the best thing about this game, for me, is the historical replays. The complete randomness of players that bubble up to the top continues to amaze me. I have a monster league going now, including the standard MLB setup, with six rookie leagues, and six NCAA conferences (and growing). I keep adding a conference or two every few years to see where the game starts to bog down. But it really hasn't.

On my replays, I start in 1901, create the standard minor league structure, with ghost players, and let it go on autopilot. In the 1960s, I start making adjustments to the minor leagues, adding new leagues, and moving teams around to their proper league/division. In 2011, I added my first group of college conference (each, its own feeder league), and rookie leagues into Dominican and Venezuelan Summer Leagues.

I'm now in 2015, and I'm looking back at some of the best of the best. The home run leader is, as you probably guessed, Boog Powell. He bested everyone with 749 dingers. He's followed by A-Rod, Ran Santo (earning his HOF honors, finally), Frank Thomas and Carlos Delgado, all with over 600 homers. What happened with the Babe? Well, he was a decent pitcher for the White Sox, but never materialized as a batter. Hank Aaron still hit over 500 home runs, but he didn't turn out to be the home run champ like he is today.

Al Simmons holds the all time career batting average at .357, his entire career as a Phillie, where he was on 3 World Series championship teams. Ted Williams batted .323, so he was still pretty awesome for his career.

It's interesting to see some of the iconic names that didn't make a name for themselves. Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Mike Schmidt are a few that didn't live up to their real life careers. And that's awesome! It just goes to show that having the historical stats doesn't make it automatic that you'll be the best of the best in OOTP. The games still have to be played...
Are you using recalc?
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
chimanbj
All Star Reserve

No recalc used here...
Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Are you doing random debut? Who has the most wins as a pitcher and how many?
Old 10-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
chimanbj
All Star Reserve

No random debut. I'm using the historical database, and they enter the league when they're supposed to, but there is a draft each year, so they can end up wherever. And with the minor league system, some folks can get stuck down below.

The pitcher with the most wins is Jim Shaw, who, in real life, played for the Senators from 1913-1921 and won 84 games. In this simulation, he played for the Dodgers from 1913 - 1938 and won 426 games.

Jim Shaw - 426
Dutch H Leonard - 413
Kid Nichols - 382
Cy Young - 367
Pud Galvin 364
Fernando Valenzuela - 358
tom Hughes - 349
Don Sutton - 348
George Uhle - 343
Tim Keefe - 342
John Clarkson - 328
Harry Krause - 325
Ray Sadecki - 322
Bob Feller - 319 (The Strikeout King, with 4987!)
Johnny Babich - 313
Old Hoss Radbourn - 309
George Chalmers - 307
Mickey Welch - 307

Another interesting development, Mark Prior didn't have to worry about Dusty Baker and is putting together a very good career, 236-99, 2.90 for his career, with a 3371/763 K/BB ratio. A future HOF for sure.
Kerry Wood only lasted 4 years, before rupturing a tendon, and ending his career.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Man I love it when people share this kind of stuff. So cool.