Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #261
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Learned another good thing today, Wes Ferrell hit 3 out in one game in my sim. Seemed odd to me, so off to baseballreference.com we go, he actually hit 7 in one season during his career. Looks like he was used as a PH.

Anyone have similar results with Mr. Ferrell?
Playing some 1B and LF early in his career Wes hit 52 HR's in 575 games in my last sim. Highest single season output was 11.The only batting highlight in his history was a 5-7 day, double, four singles and 2RBI. So no multiple dinger games.

As a pitcher he went 139-132 with a 3.55 ERA (He ended up AL which used a DH)

Last edited by Edster007; 07-19-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #262
Lordofbrewtown
Minors (Triple A)

Sorry if I missed it; but, are you using neutralized stats for this league? Was that fixed in OOTP19? Last I remember, several longtime users were mostly running their historical leagues using OOTP16 for the neutralized stats.

Thanks. And keep posting, enjoy reading these.
Lordofbrewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #263
Reed
All Star Starter

A few months ago I think Spritze said neutralized stats are fixed and up to date so I started using again. In my historical (not random), neutralized stats (3years, double weight current year) seems to be working fine (OOTP 19).
I will say that in my 50 year test sim home runs seems to run consistently a little low but I do not know if that is a function of neutralized stats, the game engine, or my settings. To counter this I have been going into the stats & AI tab on opening day (after it makes its calculations and predictions) and adjust the HR modifier up by 5%.
Overall, I am happy with neutralized stats.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #264
Edster007
All Star Starter

Question: I want to import a few players into the draft. I went through the steps with the first one and the import was successful but the player is showing up as a free agent and not listed in the draft pool. Is there a way to move him from free agent to the draft?
Old 07-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #265
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Did you ✅ import into draft pool on the import page?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #266
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofbrewtown View Post
Sorry if I missed it; but, are you using neutralized stats for this league? Was that fixed in OOTP19? Last I remember, several longtime users were mostly running their historical leagues using OOTP16 for the neutralized stats.

Thanks. And keep posting, enjoy reading these.
Using Real Stats with 5-year double weighted recalc. Decided to go with it on OOTP19 because a) I didn't want to be stuck with no players who debuted after 2014, and b) the neutered stats mess that was involved with OOTP19. It's been fine so far. I've just hit a lull, and can't seem to get past the day before Opening Day, 1906. I'll get there eventually, but for now that's where I'm stuck.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #267
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Using Real Stats with 5-year double weighted recalc. Decided to go with it on OOTP19 because a) I didn't want to be stuck with no players who debuted after 2014, and b) the neutered stats mess that was involved with OOTP19. It's been fine so far. I've just hit a lull, and can't seem to get past the day before Opening Day, 1906. I'll get there eventually, but for now that's where I'm stuck.
Lulls happen to me but after two or three days I miss my sim. Just starting 1926 with Satchel going #1 overall to the Senators. Have imported 130 NLers in my semi random way. My goal is to get to at least 1970 in this sim unless I really mess something up, which is always possible, but getting less likely as I move along in my HRDs.
You will start 1906 when it is time to start 1906.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #268
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Lulls happen to me but after two or three days I miss my sim. Just starting 1926 with Satchel going #1 overall to the Senators. Have imported 130 NLers in my semi random way. My goal is to get to at least 1970 in this sim unless I really mess something up, which is always possible, but getting less likely as I move along in my HRDs.
You will start 1906 when it is time to start 1906.
Just started my new RDL in 1954. Opening Day Jim A Devlin (1875-1877) set the bar high with 18K's in a two hit shutout. IRL he passed away at age 34 from Typhoid Fever, makes Syndergaard's hand, foot and mouth disease seem like a common cold.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #269
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
Just started my new RDL in 1954. Opening Day Jim A Devlin (1875-1877) set the bar high with 18K's in a two hit shutout. IRL he passed away at age 34 from Typhoid Fever, makes Syndergaard's hand, foot and mouth disease seem like a common cold.
Almost sounds like what happened to Addie Joss in Cleveland, he died young of tuberculosis, I believe.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #270
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Almost sounds like what happened to Addie Joss in Cleveland, he died young of tuberculosis, I believe.
Meningitis I believe. Hey what do you know? We're both right according to wikipedia. He died of tuberculous meningitis.

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Old 07-28-2018, 06:44 AM   #271
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Meningitis I believe. Hey what do you know? We're both right according to wikipedia. He died of tuberculous meningitis.
It's one of the reasons I fell in love with doing RD. I knew Joss was a great pitcher but I didn't know his story. I spend as much time learning and researching the players that pop up in game that I am either not that familiar with or never heard of as I do playing the game.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #272
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
It's one of the reasons I fell in love with doing RD. I knew Joss was a great pitcher but I didn't know his story. I spend as much time learning and researching the players that pop up in game that I am either not that familiar with or never heard of as I do playing the game.
Exactly the same here, Google and baseball reference get a workout everyday I sim.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #273
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Not to hijack the thread, but here is pretty touching quote from his biography on the SABR website:

Joss's funeral was held in Toledo on April 17, a day when Cleveland had a scheduled game against Detroit. Despite orders from American League President Ban Johnson for the Naps to play the game, all of Joss's Cleveland teammates insisted on attending the funeral. George Stovall, the Naps team captain, declared his team on strike, proclaiming, "I may be captain, but I'm still a ballplayer." Finally Johnson relented, and the game was postponed. Former ballplayer turned evangelist Billy Sunday delivered Addie's eulogy at the funeral, which at the time was the second-largest in Toledo's history. "Joss tried hard to strike out death, and it seemed for a time as though he would win," Sunday proclaimed. "The bases were full. The score was a tie, with two outs. Thousands, yes, millions in a nation's grandstands and bleachers sat breathless watching the conflict. The great twirler stood erect in the box. Death walked to the plate."
Jeff1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:12 PM   #274
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1787 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but here is pretty touching quote from his biography on the SABR website:

Joss's funeral was held in Toledo on April 17, a day when Cleveland had a scheduled game against Detroit. Despite orders from American League President Ban Johnson for the Naps to play the game, all of Joss's Cleveland teammates insisted on attending the funeral. George Stovall, the Naps team captain, declared his team on strike, proclaiming, "I may be captain, but I'm still a ballplayer." Finally Johnson relented, and the game was postponed. Former ballplayer turned evangelist Billy Sunday delivered Addie's eulogy at the funeral, which at the time was the second-largest in Toledo's history. "Joss tried hard to strike out death, and it seemed for a time as though he would win," Sunday proclaimed. "The bases were full. The score was a tie, with two outs. Thousands, yes, millions in a nation's grandstands and bleachers sat breathless watching the conflict. The great twirler stood erect in the box. Death walked to the plate."
There is no such thing as hijacking this thread my man...And thanks for the story. I remembering hearing that it caused a huge ripple in the baseball world, and that everybody was upset by it because he was universally loved and admired.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:52 AM   #275
Dukie98
All Star Reserve

Oddly enough, my other dynasty (in addition to the 48-team random debut league) is an Indians dynasty beginning in 1902 - Joss's rookie season. He was solid, but unspectacular, and fairly injury prone -- after 1906, his arm had basically decayed and he was a one-star long reliever. After an awful 1912, I traded him to Brooklyn, and he never made it onto their active roster before retiring. Here's how he fared for me:
Attached Images
Dukie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #276
pap1723
Bat Boy

I have really enjoyed reading this! I am looking to do something similar, but in my tests (just simulating through 50 years) the numbers get all out of whack. Do I need to re-import my stats settings for the year I want every season?

So I finish a season, get to Spring Training, play a week, and then do I have re-import the stats settings for the year I set? (1984 in your settings)

Also, why did you decide on 1984?
Thanks!!
pap1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #277
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pap1723 View Post
I have really enjoyed reading this! I am looking to do something similar, but in my tests (just simulating through 50 years) the numbers get all out of whack. Do I need to re-import my stats settings for the year I want every season?

So I finish a season, get to Spring Training, play a week, and then do I have re-import the stats settings for the year I set? (1984 in your settings)

Also, why did you decide on 1984?
Thanks!!
What I've always recommended still works in OOTP19 as far as I know. It did earlier in the development phase of 19, and I doubt it's something that would've changed. Do not use the lock totals to a particular year feature because it's garbage and it only locks things like Hits, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, K, which are important, but it doesn't lock things like errors, and anything at the setting for Pitching Stamina or lower, which renders it kind of useless in my opinion.

If you want to set all the settings to the year of your choosing, you should do it the day before Opening Day...Every single year. The numbers will start to slip if you don't or could reset to the year you are playing, which if you're trying to hold them to a certain year, is annoying. The day before Opening Day select the season you want using the "Totals from Year" feature. Do not use auto-calc. Uncheck all of the auto-adjust boxes (yearly stats, strategy - I even uncheck financials and manually reset them to the year I'm playing in). When you do set your league totals to the year you want, be sure to double check the financials to make sure they haven't been pulled to the season you want your totals to reflect. In my case, I wouldn't want 1984 financials in 1901 because all the teams would be bankrupt in no time.

I decided on 1984 because it fits nicely between deadball eras and steroid/lively ball eras. You can check this page out for things like R/G for each team across the league along with the slash lines from the year in question. As you can see, 1984 has 4.26 R/G, and a .260/.323/.385/.708 slash line. Not too high, not too low. Just right for me, but you should find your own or use 1984. One thing about the 1980s is the incredibly high stolen base totals, which I don't mind, but you may want something else. YMMV and all that.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #278
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

...And hey...the second I go recommending 1984 to my new friend pap1723, I change midstream to 1992 because 1984 was running a bit hot for my taste. 1992 should push the numbers back into the area of 1984 if my math is correct *Counts on fingers and toes*. Yep, should work. OOTP16 absolutely nailed it when I asked for 1984 numbers, but OOTP19 so far has been somewhat hot, and I'm trying to get it back down to where I feel comfortable. Little bit OCD? Guilty as charged. Still using 1984 for strategy settings though. We'll see how she goes. The 1907 season is upon me.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #279
pap1723
Bat Boy

I created a league in 1901 with Random Debuts for players from 1890 on. The first batch of players is imported before any of the other things are set, and I am seeing some troubling things.

I set the number of games to 162 and I import 1992 as the statistic year 2 days prior to the Regular Season. It is doing some crazy numbers and setting things like the HR totals to .405.

This is setting up the best HR hitters in the game to hit 20 HR or so. What am I doing wrong with this part of it?
pap1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #280
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pap1723 View Post
I created a league in 1901 with Random Debuts for players from 1890 on. The first batch of players is imported before any of the other things are set, and I am seeing some troubling things.

I set the number of games to 162 and I import 1992 as the statistic year 2 days prior to the Regular Season. It is doing some crazy numbers and setting things like the HR totals to .405.

This is setting up the best HR hitters in the game to hit 20 HR or so. What am I doing wrong with this part of it?
What sort of schedule are you using? Here's my 162 game schedule (for 8 teams in AL and 8 teams in NL).

Don't worry too much about the modifiers. Allow them to set themselves when you select "1992" in the "Totals from year" box. When I selected "1992", it gave me a HR modifier of .524. What you want to pay attention to is the totals from 1992. They should be as follows: At Bats: 142895, Hits: 36544, Doubles: 6563, Triples: 845, Home Runs: 3038, Bases on Balls: 13682, Hit by Pitches: 980, Strikeouts: 23538, BABIP: .288. If those are not your exact totals, then something went wrong when you were trying to select the year from the "Totals from year" box.

The game will work out the modifiers it needs to use in order to be in the area of those totals. Remember too that in 1992, there were 26 teams in MLB, while in 1901, there were 16 teams. Don't worry about the game getting 3038 HR in 1901 with a 16 team league. That would be waaay too many. It will base things on the HR/AB ratio, which is 0.021260. You should see somewhere around 1900 HR league wide in a 16 team league with a 162 game schedule. If you get somewhere around there (or 1800 - 2000ish), you're on the right path, and they should be distributing properly, with the higher totals going to the players with a higher power rating.

I'm gonna post what I'm seeing in my game through the first 79 games of the season (I select the all-star teams at this point, and each half of a season is exactly 81 games long), so you can compare and contrast with what you're seeing in yours. I'll do so over the next few posts or so. The schedule I made gives every team the day off every so often. It was the easiest way for a bonehead like me to make it.

Alright then, here are my schedules:

1) For 1901-1960
2) For 1961
3) For 1962-1968
4) For 1969-1976
5) For 1977-1992

I refuse to use divisions, unbalanced schedules or interleague. From 1901-1968, I take the top two teams in the AL and the NL, and have a best of seven LCS, and a best of seven World Series. From 1969-1992, I take the top three teams in the AL and the NL. Two and three face off against each other in a best of seven wild card series, for the right to advance to the LCS against the top team, and then a World Series. From 1993 forward, I will take the top four teams from each league, with seven game semi-final series, and then LCS and World Series, both of which last seven games.