Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Let The Random Experiment Begin

Been wanting to try this for some time, so this morning I finally decided to give it a shot. I just hope it works.

I'm starting a 12 team, one subleague, no divisions Random Debut league, starting in year 1906. To start my player draft pool will consist of players from 1901-1913. When I get to 1914, I will expand the player pool to use players from 1901-1935. Then in 1936 from 1901-modern day.

Let's see what happens.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
Beirnej1
Minors (Double A)

Looking forward to reading more about it! I’ve thought of doing something similar, just haven’t done so yet
Beirnej1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I'm enjoying this setup so far. I'm using 4 man rotations to start, since that is what the game defaults to. Waddell, Hahn, Joss, Mathewson, Johnson and Cy Young are all pithing in this league. I'm using the "Eugene Church" method to start, so I can get to know all the teams. Using this method means I'm basically watching 18 innings per day or 2 games, barring any extra inning games.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
Beirnej1
Minors (Double A)

Sounds fun, considering setting something up similar to this to run along my other random debut league.

Are you using 1906 strategies and stats output and progressing accurately or are you locking in a more modern year like you sometimes do with your other randoms?
Old 06-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirnej1 View Post
Sounds fun, considering setting something up similar to this to run along my other random debut league.

Are you using 1906 strategies and stats output and progressing accurately or are you locking in a more modern year like you sometimes do with your other randoms?
I'm using 1906 settings and I'm going to let the league progress according to history. That's one of the reasons I'm using players from 1901-1913 to start and moving the goalposts on the "maximum years" as I reach certain points. No way do I want to see a Dave Kingman or a Richie Sexson play deadball games. Didn't want Ruth to appear until at least 1914 or later. I want Williams and DiMaggio 1936 or later as well.

Last edited by David Watts; 06-24-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Just wrapped up April 1906 last evening. So far it looks like Boston is the team to beat, but New York and Milwaukee are looking strong as well. With the setup I'm using the top 3 teams qualify for the post season. The 2nd and 3rd place teams meet in a best of 3 series while the 1st place team waits to face the winner. The 2nd place team plays host to the entire best of 3 wildcard series. The League championship series is a best of 9.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
Beirnej1
Minors (Double A)

What does Boston's team look like?
Seems like you are going with real MLB teams in this league
Old 06-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirnej1 View Post
What does Boston's team look like?
Seems like you are going with real MLB teams in this league
No, not using real teams. I used OOTP's random nickname feature when creating the league. I edited two teams locating one in Baltimore and the other in Milwaukee. Then deleted 4 teams.

Theses are the cities with teams in my league

Baltimore
Boston
Brooklyn
Chicago
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Detroit
Milwaukee
New York
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
St. Louis

Since I used the random nickname feature it will probably take me all of season one to memorize them all. Ugh!

Last edited by David Watts; 06-25-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Deadball baseball can try my patience at times. So many errors and so many singles. Going to keep plugging away though.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:45 AM   #10
BleedBlue
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Deadball baseball can try my patience at times. So many errors and so many singles. Going to keep plugging away though.
For a second there I thought you were talking about my dating history
BleedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #11
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
No, not using real teams. I used OOTP's random nickname feature when creating the league. I edited two teams locating one in Baltimore and the other in Milwaukee. Then deleted 4 teams.

Since I used the random nickname feature it will probably take me all of season one to memorize them all. Ugh!
You can always edit the nicknames to ones you prefer better.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:10 AM   #12
gRaider2001
Minors (Triple A)

Do you use the reserve roster, if so what size do you use?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #13
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gRaider2001 View Post
Do you use the reserve roster, if so what size do you use?
I always use reserve rosters for my random debuts. I use unlimited. I use small amateur drafts, usually 5 rounds. If using free agent compensation, I will have a 5 round draft, but have the game import enough players for a 6 round draft.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #14
gRaider2001
Minors (Triple A)

Hey Daivd, I have a question for you. I would like to start a random debut league starting in 2019, with players debuting from 1901 to current. What setting should I use for "base potential ratings on", peak seasons of career, career totals, or the other two options? I am disabling recalculation and using the developmental engine because I would like players to develop on their own.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gRaider2001 View Post
Hey Daivd, I have a question for you. I would like to start a random debut league starting in 2019, with players debuting from 1901 to current. What setting should I use for "base potential ratings on", peak seasons of career, career totals, or the other two options? I am disabling recalculation and using the developmental engine because I would like players to develop on their own.

Thanks for the help!
I'm a recalc guy, so I might not be the best person to ask. I usually use remaining years.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
Reed
All Star Starter

Instead of the Eugene church method I use something almost the opposite. Start/watch game from begging but when one team gets 3 runs ahead, I will one click there half of the lead teams inning and watch the losing teams half innings for the rest of the game. That way if the losing team starts coming back, I can watch that. If the team in the lead has a pitcher throwing a no hitter, I can watch that play out instead of going to the one click for the half inning, or if a player has hit a couple home runs, I can play it out also to see if he can hit 3 or 4 HRs.
It is interesting to see the different way people play.
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #17
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Instead of the Eugene church method I use something almost the opposite. Start/watch game from begging but when one team gets 3 runs ahead, I will one click there half of the lead teams inning and watch the losing teams half innings for the rest of the game. That way if the losing team starts coming back, I can watch that. If the team in the lead has a pitcher throwing a no hitter, I can watch that play out instead of going to the one click for the half inning, or if a player has hit a couple home runs, I can play it out also to see if he can hit 3 or 4 HRs.
It is interesting to see the different way people play.
I love reading about the ways people play. I have the biggest case of "sim envy" known to man. I so wish I could learn to sim games and still get the enjoyment I see so many others experiencing. . But, when I sim, I feel like all I'm doing is looking at baseball reference. I'm flat out blown away when I read Tiger Fan's reports on this forum. He sims the entire history of baseball in one swoop, but then turns around and narrates stories that make you feel like your right in the middle of the season he's discussing. I could never do that.

I keep thinking back to your post the other day wishing OOTP created a scoresheet.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #18
Reed
All Star Starter

www.livebaseballscorecards.com
They do pretty much what I was talking about but for mlb games. For games in progress, they fill out a scorecard batter by batter. Or you can pull up a completed game from yesterday, last week, etc., and see the completed scorecard.
Pretty neat but probably to hard for Markus to code.
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #19
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
www.livebaseballscorecards.com
They do pretty much what I was talking about but for mlb games. For games in progress, they fill out a scorecard batter by batter. Or you can pull up a completed game from yesterday, last week, etc., and see the completed scorecard.
Pretty neat but probably to hard for Markus to code.
I will have to double check this weekend. I have ActionPc Baseball on my computer. I'm almost positive it creates a scorecard following each game. I will check.