Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 12-23-2001, 09:37 PM   #41
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

The problem in the S3BL with human agents was that a players value in 1 persons eyes is much different than a players value in another persons eyes, and this caused some strong personal conflicts between some GM's that lead to the league disbanding before season #2 began. When the OOTP game does something random that seems unfair you can't complain too bitterly, but when another person does something that seems unfair it's another matter. The only way I see it working smoothly is using agents together with a math formula but that ruins much of the benefit of using human agents, and might be less preferable than letting the game assign contract values. Maybe the idea could still work with some other guidelines though, and interesting rules should be encouraged.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 02:29 AM   #42
CaLíKrAzY
All Star Reserve

Anybody need in a league ? Just check it out , lookin for a Cincy GM , Until then...

<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/dc/dblc_ootp/" target="_blank">http://www.angelfire.com/dc/dblc_ootp/</a>

XCaLiKrAzYX@aol.com

[ December 24, 2001: Message edited by: CaLiKrAzY ]</p>
CaLíKrAzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 06:45 AM   #43
dpwoodford
Minors (Double A)

[quote]Originally posted by blmeanie:
<strong>Unique yes, but does uniqueness give as much satisfaction as sharing the idea? Hard to believe so...what if the creators of OOTP decided - "hey we have a really cool game, it is unique and we don't want anybody else to see it" - and never published it for others to use. </strong>

I can think of a reason against that... the OOTP creators are making money off the game, people who run OOTP leagues aren't making money off their unique ideas, and if a new league is in development (OOTP or not) any use of their ideas would influence the future value of that league (uniqueness, as described above)

<strong>If the idea is so revolutionary then use it and announce it and allow other leagues follow as they see fit. If it deserves it, other leagues using it would be a huge compliment to you.</strong>

That's one way of looking at it, the other way is above.<hr></blockquote>
dpwoodford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 06:47 AM   #44
dpwoodford
Minors (Double A)

[quote]Originally posted by InfamousMP:
<strong>Since nobody asked for it, here is my opinion:

I understand that you wanted to ask if anyone else was using your idea, which leads me to believe that you have told people about it already. Can't be that secret if people know.
</strong>

Doesn't that depend on who knows... he mentioned above he was talking to people about a new league, maybe it's them?

<strong>And if you don't? Does the idea just die?</strong>

That's of course his decision, but surely it's worth holding on to until after the success (if any) of a new project is determined?.<hr></blockquote>
Old 12-25-2001, 06:51 AM   #45
dpwoodford
Minors (Double A)

[quote]Originally posted by Aussie Mark:
<strong>Nah, this league was named "REAL Baseball". I think the biggest problem was that the agents had more OOTP experience than the owners (who were predominantly 13yo AOL users).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hehe... I love the sterotype of AOL Users Can't argue with it though, generally seems to be a problem.

From what I've read here about the idea the problem was with the execution not the idea. Also from what I understand, a lot of the developments for OOTP leagues are very time consuming, as well as with the comissioner duties adding new features unilaterlly (without the aid of software) is very time ineffective. You have to hope that Markus will implement them in a future version (by posting here) or getting programmers to develop a new version (always hard, and I doubt anyone here has the ability or desire to compete with Markus in a OOTP Software-esque simulation)

Darryl
Old 12-31-2001, 01:12 AM   #46
Squonk
Minors (Single A)

I was in a league once where their free agency was the single greatest idea I had ever seen.

Of course, it was with FPS:BBPRO98 and the developer of the game was in the league and the staff that made the game.

They called it "The Roulette Vault" or something like that.

It was brilliant. Simple, easy to understand. Had to do with the stock market and protecting a couple players in The Vault and then having to expose 10 others. 2 days were run of Free Agency and the ending number of the stock market was the number everybody got dropped in to a pool that had a player in that 'slot'. Then, a draft was held with the worst team getting the first pick. 2 rounds. Takes care of financials and free agency all in one swoop. I mean it simulates it pretty good to be so simple an idea.

It was fabulous and everybody in the league loved it. I think it was copied by 20 or so leagues the commissioner said.

I think the league closed though.

I quit because all that was in it was like game reviewers and game developers and stuff and you couldn't win against those guys. I just didn't have the time they did to put in to it to be competitive.

Marco
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote