Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

FHM 6 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #101
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,063
Thanks: 316
Thanked 523x in 394 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Michael Porter Jr. will not participate in summer league. That is too bad, I was hoping to see how healthy he is.
I think your question was answered.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #102
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Reserve
 
Leo_The_Lip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 957
Thanks: 517
Thanked 418x in 263 posts
Perfect reply from Celtics fan to Irving leaving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Ku64E3A18
__________________


Leo_The_Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #103
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 7,073
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1,018x in 577 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I think your question was answered.
Reports were that his back is okay. That should keep Nuggets fans happy. It is a minor knee tweak and they decided to to risk anything more. He will be at training camp and pre season.
__________________


rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #104
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,063
Thanks: 316
Thanked 523x in 394 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Reports were that his back is okay. That should keep Nuggets fans happy. It is a minor knee tweak and they decided to to risk anything more. He will be at training camp and pre season.
Reports say "OK". But all I hear is "Greg Oden".
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:07 AM   #105
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 7,073
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1,018x in 577 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Reports say "OK". But all I hear is "Greg Oden".
He was taken by a good team at the end of the lottery as a chance pick.
Oden was taken #1 overall over Durant.

I understand where your coming from but even if he never plays a game its not a massive loss for the Nuggets.
__________________


rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:58 AM   #106
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 7,073
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1,018x in 577 posts
Consider me surprised. Leonard chooses the Clippers.
__________________


rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:28 AM   #107
thehef
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,666
Thanks: 818
Thanked 477x in 304 posts
Liking this. So. Much.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:31 AM   #108
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 7,073
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1,018x in 577 posts
And the Clippers get Paul George via trade.
OKC looks to be in rebuild mode. I would be surprised to see Adams begin the season with them and Westbrook to be with them past the trade deadline.
__________________


rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #109
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer
 
darkhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 10,850
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18x in 16 posts
Jerry West does it again and again and again and again.
__________________
"The Human Torch was denied a bank loan."
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #110
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,063
Thanks: 316
Thanked 523x in 394 posts
Glad Klaw didn't go to the Lakers. It will make the NBA more interesting.

I will say I hate PG13 requesting a trade after just one year under contract. I give OKC credit for getting so many picks. But if I was an owner, I wouldn't be giving in to these trade demands & sign & trade deals. I make a commitment to you, I expect the same from you. I'm not going to pay you to divorce me.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #111
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Reserve
 
Leo_The_Lip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 957
Thanks: 517
Thanked 418x in 263 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
. I'm not going to pay you to divorce me.
Is that not how divorce works?
__________________


Leo_The_Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #112
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 7,073
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1,018x in 577 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Glad Klaw didn't go to the Lakers. It will make the NBA more interesting.

I will say I hate PG13 requesting a trade after just one year under contract. I give OKC credit for getting so many picks. But if I was an owner, I wouldn't be giving in to these trade demands & sign & trade deals. I make a commitment to you, I expect the same from you. I'm not going to pay you to divorce me.

OKC took in a massive haul. The Pelicans paid 150 cents on the dollar for Davis. The Clippers paid 200 cents.

FOUR unprotected first round picks????
Two pick swaps
One other first round pick
And a good young player

Gallinari is another trade asset and as I said before, OKC will move Adams and Westbrook and collect even more.
They will be crap for a few year but are set up for their next run quite well.
__________________



Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 07-06-2019 at 02:29 PM.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #113
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 7,073
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1,018x in 577 posts
Demarcus Cousins signs with the Lakers on one year deal.
I like this for the Lakers. Low risk and Cousins when healthy is a great offensive talent. But he is rarely health.
__________________


rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:19 PM   #114
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,063
Thanks: 316
Thanked 523x in 394 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
OKC took in a massive haul. The Pelicans paid 150 cents on the dollar for Davis. The Clippers paid 200 cents.

FOUR unprotected first round picks????
Two pick swaps
One other first round pick
And a good young player

Gallinari is another trade asset and as I said before, OKC will move Adams and Westbrook and collect even more.
They will be crap for a few year but are set up for their next run quite well.
Clips were paying for George officially. But they were actually paying for George & Kahwi. No George, no Leonard, Kahwi w/LBJ & AD. I think it was well worth the price.

But like you said, OKC can set themselves up for the future. I expect the Clippers to own one of the 5 best reg season records, so the picks themselves will be late in the 1st rd. But they can be packaged together to help them move up.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:59 AM   #115
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 7,073
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1,018x in 577 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Clips were paying for George officially. But they were actually paying for George & Kahwi. No George, no Leonard, Kahwi w/LBJ & AD. I think it was well worth the price.

But like you said, OKC can set themselves up for the future. I expect the Clippers to own one of the 5 best reg season records, so the picks themselves will be late in the 1st rd. But they can be packaged together to help them move up.
The picks are way way in the future and are unprotected.
The NBA will be very different in 2022,2024 and 2026

Look at Brooklyn to see how unprotecting picks and pick swaps can be super lopsided down the road.
__________________


rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:04 AM   #116
thehef
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,666
Thanks: 818
Thanked 477x in 304 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Jerry West does it again and again and again and again.
What is it you are saying that West did (and has done again and again...)?

Count me as one who thinks that despite being a very good basketball mind (was a good GM and for last few years a good consultant), he is also insanely overrated. Gets way too much credit for the Lakers' 80's run. The bulk of the front office credit for the 80's Lakers should go to Bill Sharman. West did a nice job of maintaining it.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #117
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer
 
darkhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 10,850
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18x in 16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
What is it you are saying that West did (and has done again and again...)?

Count me as one who thinks that despite being a very good basketball mind (was a good GM and for last few years a good consultant), he is also insanely overrated. Gets way too much credit for the Lakers' 80's run. The bulk of the front office credit for the 80's Lakers should go to Bill Sharman. West did a nice job of maintaining it.
Shaquille O'Neal from Orlando, Kevin Durant from OKC, and now Kawhi Leonard and Paul George. He's been doing this for decades with various teams, Lakers, Warriors and now Clippers. He's probably a better executive than he was a player, which boggles the mind. The Clippers are now the best team in the NBA and those clueless dullards currently running the Lakers got pwned by one of their own.
__________________
"The Human Torch was denied a bank loan."
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #118
TheMaus2
All Star Starter
 
TheMaus2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The OOTP Forums. Always.
Posts: 1,737
Blog Entries: 16
Thanks: 603
Thanked 323x in 256 posts
Cobra, after all 3 marquee FAs went to either LA/NY, do you still think its just the media projecting on to the players? Genuinely curious
__________________
maus.exe has shut down
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #119
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,063
Thanks: 316
Thanked 523x in 394 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaus2 View Post
Cobra, after all 3 marquee FAs went to either LA/NY, do you still think its just the media projecting on to the players? Genuinely curious
Yes. Cause the media are fans of the Knicks & Lakers. Not the Clippers & the Nets. And my point was about the Knicks specifically. The NY media thinks, the Knicks, Yanks & Giants are the center of the sports universe. They aren't as myopic & obnoxious about the Nets, Jets & Mets.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #120
thehef
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,666
Thanks: 818
Thanked 477x in 304 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Shaquille O'Neal from Orlando, Kevin Durant from OKC, and now Kawhi Leonard and Paul George. He's been doing this for decades with various teams, Lakers, Warriors and now Clippers. He's probably a better executive than he was a player, which boggles the mind. The Clippers are now the best team in the NBA and those clueless dullards currently running the Lakers got pwned by one of their own.
Do we know that Jerry West had a significant role in making those acquisitions happen?

I recall that Durant was pretty heavily recruited by the Warrior stars, even - as I recall - while he was still a member of OKC...

As for Leonard & George, Leo wanted to get to So Cal, close to his home. He wanted his buddy and star to join him. So if you're suggesting that Doc Rivers, Steve Balmer, and Lawrence Frank turned to Jerry and said, "We're thinking of pairing up two of the top 5 players in the NBA - one of whom is proven leader and champion - to go along with our solid young core and championship-level coach. What do you think?" And then Jerry - in all of his masterful & exalted consultantness - had the remarkable instincts to say, "Yeah, I think that's a good idea...," whereas most other front office types would've rejected the proposition. Well, if that's your contention... uh, ok....

Sure, West made some bold moves in dumping 3/5's of his starting lineup to make financial room for O'Neal, before he was certain Shaq would sign. But let's face it: West was not the GM of the Vancouver Grizzlies trying to somehow convince Shaq to buy some parkas and head north. Shaq wanted to go to glitzy LA. I give West all the props he deserves for taking the (slight) gamble, and then additional credit for handing Shaq the pen with which to sign his deal...

Was JW fortunate enough to be in a position to help influence these teams and players? Sure. But I suspect that other factors - and not "OMG, Jerry West is part of the organization! I HAVE to be a part of that!" - played a much larger role.

I reiterate that West is, IMO, a sharp exec. He's made some nice moves, some of them risky (trading Norm Nixon to get Byron Scott; acquiring Mychal Thompson; trading Vlade for Kobe). Would I want him on my staff if I owned a team? You bet. My contention is not that he's an idiot. It's that he is WAY over-credited for many of his successes. And his gaffes (which, like other GM's, he's certainly had) are often overlooked. He's over-credited for putting together Showtime, over-credited for supposedly turning around Memphis, and way over-credited for supposedly being able to pluck diamonds out of late draft positions.

One can be very good at something and also be overrated. That's West, IMO. And there's plenty of evidence to support it for anyone willing to look beyond a simple accounting of Showtime rings, and instead examine facts and context.

My prediction is that one day when West has been six feet deep for years, his idolizers will still be finding ways to give him credit for future moves...
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments