Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

PCL Historical League 1921-1957

I wanted to try a little experiment with OOTP19 to run a historical league with only the PCL in it and have it contain only players who either did play in the PCL, or would have had the PCL been considered the top baseball league of it's day instead of MLB. I will use this thread to document the league but also explain and answer questions on how I set it up.

THE PACIFIC COAST LEAGUE - TRACKING THE DIMAGGIO'S

With OOTP18 I did a regional history setup with the idea that Major League Baseball never formed. Instead, it was strictly a regional game with 4 professional leagues. The 4 leagues were called the Pacific Coast League, the Southern Association, the Midwest League and the Eastern League. The real life PCL and SA teams made up their respective leagues with some expansion as each of my 4 leagues had 12-16 teams. The Eastern League was comprised of MLB and International League teams from the east while the Midwest League had MLB and American Association teams in it.

All leagues would be populated with real historical players and the players would only play in the region they were born in. To accomplish this what I did was take all of the players from the MLB and MILB databases and sort them by region so that players would go to draft pool of the league in their region. It was time consuming but a fairly simple process as I would create my rookie class for each league as a .txt file and mass import them into the draft pool.

I may do this again down the road with OOTP19 but I won't be so adventurous with this league. Instead this time I am going to run just the Pacific Coast League from 1921 until the Dodgers and Giants show up in 1958. There is no major league baseball in this sim as I deleted all leagues except the PCL so DiMaggio, Williams etc. will be exclusively PCL players.

THE LEAGUE SETUP

The league will have real PCL teams and only be comprised of historical players born on the west coast, the majority of whom played in the PCL in real-life.

Here is how I created this league.

To start, I imported a 1921 historical league with complete minors. 1921 is the first season the PCL shows up in OOTP. If I wanted to start earlier than 1921 I could have created the PCL as a fictional league and manually import all of the players and assigned them to teams but since my focus was on the DiMaggio's 1921 was more than early enough to start.

So after importing the leagues the first thing I did was unaffiliate the PCL from major league baseball and then set my finance and other settings. I decided to leave free agency on for this league so there will be some player movement. I enabled trades in the league, made sure my modifiers were good for 1921 and set up a draft while also disabling auto creation of free agents as I want no fictional players. I also imported the real 1921 PCL schedule since it is in my collection of downloaded schedule files.

All this is done before advancing a day in the game by the way. I next deleted MLB, the Texas League and the Negro National League. This put all of those players in the free agent pool. I will eventually delete most of them but not yet.

Next I went to baseballreference.com and compared my PCL team rosters to the real rosters. The LA Angels were missing a few as they were part of the Cubs organization and had been moved as the game was created. I searched for all of the players that were not on a PCL roster but should be (about 20 in total) and manually edited them to place them on the proper roster.

I had about 900 free agents including Babe Ruth and all the other MLB stars. I don't want them in my PCL league but do need some free agents. So I sorted the free agents by city of birth and kept all the ones born in California, Oregon, Washington etc and deleted the rest. That left me with approx. 75 free agents which was perfect.

My league was ready to go but I needed to deal with future draft classes. I did not want to take the time going through every PCL roster each season and manually adding all the rookies so what I did instead was make a copy of the MILBmaster excel spreadsheet that can be found in the STATS subfolder inside your OOTP19 folder.

This is a list of all players (with the exception of a few major leaguers like Bob Feller who never played a minor league game) who import into the game. I sorted my list to get down to just those who debuted from 1922-1957 and deleted the rest. I further sorted it by state of birth, keeping only those born in the Western US, Mexico or the Canadian provinces of BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan. I then filtered it down further by deleting every player who had 'Ballplayer' as his first name since all of those just played a handful of games and were not needed in my league.

That got me down to about 45 rookies joining my league every year. I edited the columns on my working excel file slightly so I could them just copy and paste the player id - a comma -and his debut year into a text file which would be suitable for importing as an OOTP draft class.

An example of this is below:

One note on draft classes. I set my draft for Dec 15. The game would create a fictional draft pool but on the day of the draft I would delete the fictional players in the pool and then import my historical draft class for that season.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
JaBurns
All Star Starter

You are going to teach me again, I struggle mightily turning to import even one player into a draft class. Now you are going to show me how to sort and import multiple players!

Hope you do not mind many dumb questions, I am often confused and slow on the uptake when trying new computer things.

I am running a variation on your unaffiliated AAA with ability for ML clubs to purchase players in my Historical Random Debut. It has only taken me just over a year to get that semi-right and eliminated fictional players.

Last edited by JaBurns; 04-01-2018 at 02:31 PM.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
You are going to teach me again, I struggle mightily turning to import even one player into a draft class. Now you are going to show me how to sort and import multiple players!

Hope you do not mind many dumb questions, I am often confused and slow on the uptake when trying new computer things.

I am running a variation on your unaffiliated AAA with ability for ML clubs to purchase players in my Historical Random Debut. It has only taken me just over a year to get that semi-right and eliminated fictional players.
There are no dumb questions. Was trial and error for me figuring things out so ask away. As for struggling with fictional players I still seem to get a few every couple of years in this league so I always double check the draft class when running the draft to eliminate any last minute fictionals that sneak in.

I tried running historical random debut with full minors in OOTP18 but didn't have a lot of success.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I really like your ideas for league setups. I then put my own spin (can be read as weird) on them and run off on my tangent. I am having much more success with my Historical Random Debut in 19. Currently in 1906 with two unaffiliated AAA league (Eastern, Western) of 8 teams each, have not seen any fictional players yet, I think the key was to hold a free agent draft on Jan 2nd after delaying the inaugural draft. This is my test league with stats frozen to 1976, want to run 10 to 20 more years to refine my process and eliminate any unforeseen issues then start hopefully a long term league. Probably one more AAA league of 8 teams when the free agent doubles from its current 150 players.

Last edited by JaBurns; 04-01-2018 at 06:50 PM.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #5
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

PCL PREPARES FOR 1932 DRAFT

As the PCL prepares for the 1932 draft that will include 2 of the DiMaggio brothers - Joe and Vince - let's take a moment to look back at the past decade of the Pacific Coast League.

The Mission Reds are the first real dynasty of the league, having made 4 straight appeances in the Pacific Series and winning three of them. The Reds, who were known as the Mission Bells for a couple of seasons, moved from Vernon for the 1926 season. The club finished dead last in the league that season but improved to 3rd the following year and have 2 first place finishes and a pair of second places since then.

The Reds top players are all familiar names such as 2B Tony Lazzeri (.387,25,116 but remember it is a 200 game season), OF Chick Haefy (.328,29,132) and catcher Ernie Lombardi (.269,9,99). Outfielder Bob Meusel (.283,8,38) is showing signs of slowing down at the age of 35 but he was once one of the top hitters in the league. Meusel batted a career best .398 in 1922.

There have been 8 different .400 seasons in PCL history but 6 of them belong to Harry Heilmann. The 5-time PCL MVP is nearing the end of a great career with the San Francisco Seals. His .416 season in 1929 is the gold standard for the league. Even last year as a 36 year old Heilmann managed to play 186 games and hit .377. Heilmann's 3218 career PCL hits is second only to Hack Miller's 3331. Miller played for the Oakland Oaks from 1917 until signing with Hollywood as a free agent prior to last season.

In 1930 Los Angeles Angels first baseman Dolph Camilli hit a PCL record 61 homeruns and had 233 rbi's, also a record. Camilli (last year numbers .356,43,177) is in his prime and, combined with 32 year old Bibb Falk (.367,6,75) and 23 year old rookie Emil Mailho (.323,6,62), gives the Angels a decent offensive core. Their issue is pitching, which is just awful.

Speaking of pitching, it may be a concern for the champion Reds this season as their top hurler is a free agent who has yet to sign anywhere. 37 year old Max Rachac (24-10, 2.54) is a 4-time pitcher of the year with a lifetime 197-121 record, all with the Mission organization. In real life Rachac never played in the majors, compiling a 63-62 record over 6 seasons in the PCL with Portland and Seattle. If he does not resign with the Reds they will need to rely even more on Ossie Orwoll (27-12, 3.13) and George Malicky (21-11, 3.22) if they want a 5th straight playoff appearance.

As we prepare for the 1932 draft here are the final 1931 standings and league leaders.
Attached Images
Old 04-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #6
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1932 PCL DRAFT - GIBSON TAKEN 1ST OVERALL

The Portland Beavers opted for immediate pitching help over the best young player the game has seen in decades. Instead of selecting 18 year old outfielder Joe DiMaggio with the first pick, Portland opted for 32 year old Sam Gibson.

Gibson, who pitched 4 seasons in Major League Baseball before coming out west, is expected to immediately step in and be the ace of the Beavers rotation - which was the worst in the league a year ago.

After Portland announced it's pick, owners of the Hollywood Stars gleefully claimed DiMaggio second overall. The 18 year old outfielder has unlimited potential and should contribute to the Stars woeful offense, which was last in the PCL in runs scored a year ago.

DiMaggio's 20 year old brother Vince, also an outfielder, was taken by the league champion Mission Reds with the final pick of the opening round.

Here are the rest of the picks in a deep draft. The PCL draft is only two rounds leaving all unselected players free to negotiate with all teams.
Attached Images
Old 04-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
thehef
Hall Of Famer

This is very interesting. I have a few questions, though...

So the idea was to start off with the 1921 PCL season and have each PCL team's roster pretty much historically accurate. But that's really the only season where that would be true... Each winter's draft class would include professional rookies (including some future major-leaguers) who were born in the west.

Do I have all of that right?

Also, what was done with the 75 free agents in 1921 that you were left with after you deleted the ones who weren't born in the western states?

If there were, say, 5, 10, or 100 of the best career minor-leaguers (or anyone else, for that matter) that you wanted to include who were NOT born in the west, you could've allowed them to be included in draft classes by simply not deleting them from your master list. Correct?

Are your PCL teams (cities & nicknames) evolving historically/automatically, manually, or not at all?
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
This is very interesting. I have a few questions, though...

So the idea was to start off with the 1921 PCL season and have each PCL team's roster pretty much historically accurate. But that's really the only season where that would be true... Each winter's draft class would include professional rookies (including some future major-leaguers) who were born in the west.

Do I have all of that right?
Yes, I could have manually imported new players that actually played on each PCL team to that club and force retired the guys that left but that would have been a fair bit more work and I was really just looking at running a fun little league before I go to my main league which will be a full historical with minors replay. Holding off on that in case there is another patch in the near future that might contain a historical database update. Not sure if there will be but waiting a bit just in case.

As it is set up each winter's draft class will feature rookies born in the west, most of whom - but not all - played at least a year or two in the PCL.

Quote:
Also, what was done with the 75 free agents in 1921 that you were left with after you deleted the ones who weren't born in the western states?

If there were, say, 5, 10, or 100 of the best career minor-leaguers (or anyone else, for that matter) that you wanted to include who were NOT born in the west, you could've allowed them to be included in draft classes by simply not deleting them from your master list. Correct?
The free agents I left in the pool at the start were of various ages and skill levels with some having previously played in the PCL. I left them there just to make sure there were enough players as the rosters of the PCL teams ranged from about 26 to 35 players each.

Several of them were signed during the season to fill roster openings while others spent the entire year as free agents.

Yes, anyone not born in the west I could have kept in the free agent pool simply by not deleting them. If I wanted to add them to the rookie draft I believe I would have had to delete then and then re-import them with the option to import to draft pool enabled. Might be wrong, but I do not believe there is a way to move a free agent to the draft pool.

Quote:
Are your PCL teams (cities & nicknames) evolving historically/automatically, manually, or not at all?
Manually. As soon as I unaffiliated the league it becomes for all purposes a fictional league so all city/nickname changes need to be done manually.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:56 AM   #9
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

OPENING DAY 1932
Neither of the DiMaggio brothers found themselves on a PCL opening day roster as both 18 year old Joe and 20 year old Vince were assigned to reserve rosters. Joe had a tough spring, going 1-for-14 although his only hit was a dramatic 3-run double with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th to give the Hollywood Stars a 7-6 come from behind win in a spring game with Portland. Vince had a little more success in spring training, going 5-for-14 with 2 homers but he was unable to crack Mission's opening day roster.

Meanwhile, first overall pick Sam Gibson was 2-1 for Portland in preseason action and named their opening day starter. The former Tiger and Yankee's PCL debut was a 3-1 win over the Los Angeles Angels as he outpitched Max Rachac - the long time Mission Reds star who signed with LA as a free agent.

AUGUST 1
By the end of July the Mission Reds were starting to run away from the pack again. At 73-41 the Reds enjoyed a 5 game lead on Seattle while third place Los Angeles was 13.5 off the pace. 23 year old infielder Stan Hack was hitting .407 to lead the league while teammates Tony Lazzeri (.327,17,76), Chick Hafey (.354,17,78) and Ernie Lombardi (.309,20,77) were also off to their usual strong start for the Reds. Pitching wise, former Negro Leaguer Bullet Rogan (13-5, 3.78) - this league is not segregated - was filling in nicely to replace the departed Rachac, who at 9-11, 3.28 seemed headed for a losing season in Los Angeles.

SEPTEMBER 1
As the season hit September it was clear that Mission and Seattle would be the playoff clubs. The Reds still led at 91-53 but the surprising Rainiers were just 2 games off the pace. The Angels in third were a distant 15 games behind the Reds. Seattle was led by pitchers George Abrams (20-8, 3.15) and Harry Holsclaw (16-10, 3.52) but their real strength was the bat in the middle of the lineup that belonged to 31 year old Earl Averill (.325,39,127).

OCTOBER 1
By October 1st the Reds were 112-65 and enjoyed a 5 game lead on Seattle. Portland had snuck past Los Angeles and into third place but the Beavers were 19 games off the pace. As for the DiMaggio's, Joe was called up by the last place Hollywood Stars in late September and made his PCL debut in a 6-4 loss to Los Angeles on the 28th. He went 1-for-2 with a walk and a run scored in that game with his first career PCL hit coming off of George Caster. Joe also played the next two games but was hitting just .182 at the end of September. 20 year old Vince got called up by Mission in late August but by the end of September had just 5 plate appearances. He was 2-for-5 including a 2-run homer, which was his first PCL hit and a walk-off game winner in the bottom of the ninth for a win over Seattle.

A story to watch for the final month of the season centers around Los Angeles slugger Dolph Camilli. After a relatively slow summer by his standards, the 26 year old belted 15 homers in September to give him 49 on the season. It will be a longshot but he is just 12 homers shy of his PCL record 61 set two years ago.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #10
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Brilliant work once again Tiger Fan. Your work in creating new types of leagues is state of the art in this forum. Great read too !
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #11
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Brilliant work once again Tiger Fan. Your work in creating new types of leagues is state of the art in this forum. Great read too !
couldn't agree more!
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #12
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Thanks guys but it really is a credit to Markus and gang for giving us a game that we can do so many things, and play it with so many different setups.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #13
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

END OF 1932 REGULAR SEASON

The season ended on October 23rd with the Reds finishing 9 games up on Seattle at 127-74. Portland was third, 20 games off the pace. Angels first baseman Dolph Camilli (.344,61,179) tied his own PCL record for homers in a season but was unable to surpass his mark after going homerless in the final 5 games of the season.

The Mission Reds dominated the league offensively behind big seasons from Tony Lazzeri (.338,28,122), league batting champ Stan Hack (.379,12,105), Chick Hafey (.369,36,152), Ernie Lombardi (.328,31,148), Sammy Hale (.290,17,137) and Red Kress (.285,21,131) as they established a new PCL record for runs scored with 1290.

Vince DiMaggio would finish the season with just the 5 at bats and a pair of hits as he ended the year on the Reds reserve roster. Younger brother Joe became the last place Hollywood Stars everyday centerfielder for October, a month that saw the 18 year old hit .354 with his first two PCL homeruns. Joe finished the season with a .336 batting average, 2 homers and 15 rbi's in 28 games. A taste of hopefully what is soon to come for Stars fans, who have endured some bad baseball teams the past 3 years.

As for the playoffs, it would come down to can pitching and defense beat hitting. As dominant as the Reds were at the plate, the Rainiers pitching and defense was the class of the league. However, Seattle would be without Larry Glick (14-8, 2.27), who missed the final month of the season with back spasms and could be missing 25 game winner George Abrams. The 33 year old Abrams (25-11, 3.15) has been bothered by back woes as well and had to leave during his final start of the season. His status for the Pacific Series is uncertain.
Attached Images
Old 04-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #14
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1932 PACIFIC SERIES

Earl Averill carried the Seattle Rainiers to the 1932 Pacific Series title - the second in franchise history. All of the talk entering the series revolved around the powerful Mission offense but it was Averill, the 31 year old Rainiers outfielder, who stole the show.

Averill, who was Seattle's top hitter during the regular season (.312,53,165), went 11-for-22 with 3 homers and 16 rbi's in 6 games as Seattle beat Mission 4 games to two. The Reds had some big offensive showings as well but not even Tony Lazzeri (.440,2,10) could match Averill's performance in the series.

Seattle took the opening game on the road by a 3-0 score as Fay Thomas blanked the Reds while scattering 7 hits. The Mission bats came alive in game two as Lazzeri went 4-for-4 with 7 rbi's in a 12-9 victory to even the series.

Lazzeri homered for the second straight game to help Mission win 5-1 in Game Three but from there Averill and the Rainiers took over. Seattle won 8-4 and 7-5 at home before the series shifted back to Mission with the Reds trailing 3 games to two.

The deciding game was Averill's time to shine as he homered, had 4 hits and drove in 6 runs to lead Seattle to a 9-3 win and the title.
Attached Images
Old 04-03-2018, 10:55 PM   #15
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

OFF-SEASON 1932-33

With Joe DiMaggio being the main focus of this replay let's take a look at what his Hollywood Stars club has done to improve over the winter. Some background on the team to get us started.

The Stars began as the Salt Lake City Bees and won their only PCL title in 1922 when they finished second and upset the San Francisco Seals to win the Series. From their it was pretty much all down hill and they have not finished higher than fourth since moving to Hollywood prior to the 1926 season. Since the move they have 3 fourth place finishes, 3 times they ended up seventh and this past season when they finished dead last for the first time in franchise history and established a PCL record for most losses in a seasom (131) as well as lowest winning percentage (.348).

But with the teenaged DiMaggio's impressive October comes renewed hope for the organization and they made some big noise early in the off-season when they signed 31 year old outfielder Johnny Frederick (.336,26,99) as a free agent away from the PCL champion Seattle Rainiers. Frederick's deal is a 6 year pact paying him $20,000 per season. Only Tony Lazzeri of Mission makes more per year then the Stars committed to Frederick.

The Stars offense was the league's worst in 1932 so that fact, coupled with a weak pitching crop in the draft, made it no surprise the Stars used the first pick on a position player. Who they selected was a surprise as I had expected them to go with 21 year old third baseman Cookie Lavegetto but ended up going second to Sacramento after the Stars selected 17 year old shortstop Eddie Joost. It is not expected Joost will contribute much this season but he should have a bright future.

With the draft complete the Stars were still not down. They signed 36 year old third baseman Sammy Hale away from the Mission Reds by inking him to a 1 year deal. Hale hit .290 with 17 homers and 137 rbi's in 192 games last season. Finally, they inked 34 year old first baseman John Monroe (.320,9,80). Monroe played for Mission last season but began his career with the Salt Lake Bees in 1921 and was with the Bees-Stars organization until going to Portland in 1928.

SPRING TRAINING
The spring went exceptionally well for the Stars as they led the PCL with a 14-4 record in exhibition games. Joe DiMaggio hit just .235 in the spring but homered in his final game to give fans more hope for the season. Joe is penciled in as the Stars regular centerfielder and will bat second in between newcomers John Monroe and Johnny Frederick. DiMaggio's brother Vince hit just .200 for Mission and will once again start the season on the Reds reserve roster.

Pitching might be an issue for the Stars as starters Larry French (10-6, 3.09) and George Murchio (193-165 for his career) will both miss significant time with arm troubles. However, 20 game winner Ad Liska is back and will be expected to carry the staff with assistance from free agent pickup Sammy Ross, who was 18-14 for Portland last year.

Even with all the changes Hollywood is still not a playoff team but the preseason predictions have the Stars finishing mid-pack with a record close to .500. The Los Angeles Angels are the preseason favourite as big seasons are predicted for Dolph Camilli and pitcher Max Rachac.
Attached Images
Old 04-03-2018, 11:14 PM   #16
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1933 SEASON

The Portland Beavers got off to an incredible start, winning 18 of their first 21 games and building a 6 game cushion on San Francisco and Mission. The Stars were a respectable 10-11 after the opening month of the season. However, Joe DiMaggio missed two weeks with a sore knee. Despite the injury he was batting .300 through his first 11 games. Vince remained on the Mission Reds reserve roster.

As for the Beavers it was just a solid team effort as no one really stood out stats-wise for April other than pitcher Syl Johnson. The 32 year old, who has played his entire career in Portland, was 5-0 with a 1.40 era to start the season.

MAY
In May the Beavers came crashing back to earth, winning just 9 of their 33 games and now finding themselves at 27-24, tied with Los Angeles 11 games back of San Francisco. Mission was in 2nd, 6 games back of the Seals.

DiMaggio finally returned to the lineup mid-month and was batting .312 but homerless through 20 games. The Stars struggled in his absence and were in 6th, 16 and a half games out. Even with pickups Johnny Frederick (.398,5,19), Sammy Hale (.324,4,17) and John Monroe (.270,4,19) doing well, the offense still sputtered without DiMaggio.

JUNE
Injury woes continued for DiMaggio as he sprained an ankle in mid-June and will be out likely until August. Joe was hitting .333 with 17 rbi's but played in just 33 of the Stars first 80 games. It was another bad season for Hollywood as they now sat 25 games behind first place San Francisco.

The first place Seals were dominating the league with a 57-25 record as pitchers Mel Harder (11-3, 2.41), Virgil Cheevers (10-0, 3.47) and Manny Salvo (9-5, 2.28) carried the club. Veteran Harry Heilmann (.330,2,32) was still contributing as he neared his 39th birthday.
Attached Images
Old 04-05-2018, 11:08 PM   #17
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

JULY
The Seals slumped in July, going 15-17 so their lead on Mission shrinked to 2 games with the Los Angeles Angels seven off the pace. Dolph Camilli was enjoying another great power season for LA, he had reached 23 homers as July came to an end. Camilli had a reputation from the past few seasons of not heating up until August so we will see if that trend continues.

The Hollywood Stars were in 7th place and Joe DiMaggio was still sidelined with a high ankle sprain. His brother Vince got called up by Mission from the reserve roster in early July. Vince had 32 at bats and was hitting .250 on the season.

AUGUST

Through the month of August, Mission was right on the tail of the Seals. The Reds got within 1 game a couple times during the month but never managed to pull even. As August came to an end the Seals lead was 3 games. Third place Los Angeles faded a bit and was 10 games back.

Mission infielder Stan Hack was hitting .407 as September began. Hack hit .407 a year ago to become the 4th player to hit .400 in a season. Bibb Falk, Tony Lazzeri and Harry Heilmann were the others. Heilmann is the only player to do it more than once as the Seals legend has 6 .400 seasons to his credit. At 39, Heilmann is still playing regularly for the Seals and is hitting .297 this season.

Vince DiMaggio, now nearly 22 years old, is still on the Mission Reds roster but plays sparingly and is hitting just .222 on the year. 19 year old Joe finally got off the DL and is back in the Hollywood lineup. In 56 games, Joe is batting .291 with 3 homers and 25 rbi's.

OCTOBER 1, 1933

As we hit the final month of the season the Mission Reds have passed the San Francisco Seals and moved into first place. Dolph Camilli is up to 40 homers while batting .385 with 137 rbi's and those numbers have helped the Los Angeles Angels move to within 3 games of the Seals for the second playoff spot. The Seals have 23 games remaining but 18 of them are against either Mission or Los Angeles.

Mission's Stan Hack is still hitting the ball, batting .406 while driving in 125 runs as the number 3 hitter in the most powerful offense of the league. Joe DiMaggio remained healthy and is now batting .294 with 5 homers and 34 rbi's in 88 games as the Hollywood Stars have moved up to 6th place.

Below are the standings and leaders as of October 1st, and also a look at the powerful Mission Reds batting order.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-05-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:11 PM   #18
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

With about 3 weeks to go we should have a great finish to the 1933 season. There are plenty of head to head games between the 3 playoff contenders down the stretch.

If I was to guess I would have to think the Reds and Angels will be the playoff combatants. The Seals have a very tough schedule down the stretch but do control their own destiny with 9 games against Los Angeles.

I am going to do quick day by day recaps for October, or at least as long as there is a playoff race.
Attached Images
Old 04-05-2018, 11:47 PM   #19
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY OCTOBER 1, 1933
Sunday's in the PCL mean doubleheaders and this day is no different. The Reds sweep a twin bill from Portland dropping the Beavers 15 games off the lead and 12 out of the wildcard, so all but eliminating them from playoff consideration.

Meanwhile San Francisco and Los Angeles met for two at the Angels Wrigley Field. Los Angeles won the first game 3-2 as George Caster improved to 18-6 by tossing 8 innings of 5 hit ball. The Seals won the nightcap 6-1 to remain 3 games ahead of the Angels for the second playoff spot. Mel Harder (23-9) went the distance for the win and also hit an rbi double to help the San Francisco offense.

TUESDAY OCTOBER 3
After an off day for the 3 contenders they were all back in action today. Mission blasted last place Sacramento 15-7 as Red Kress and Chick Hafey each hit 2 homers. San Francisco remains 3 games back after the Seals embarrassed their bay rivals in Oakland 15-2. Los Angeles kept pace with a 4-2 doubling of Hollywood. Dolph Camilli hit 2 homers for the Angels to improve his league leading total to 42 on the season. Joe DiMaggio homered for Hollywood - his 6th of the year.

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 4
Dolph Camilli hit two more homers while Max Rachac went the distance as the Angels beat the Stars 4-1. San Francisco lost 8-7 in Oakalnd while the first place Reds edged Sacramento 2-1. The standings now look like this:
Code:

TEAM		W   L  GB
MISSION	       113 69   -
SAN FRANCISCO  109 73  4.0
LOS ANGELES    107 75  6.0
THURSDAY OCTOBER 5
Chick Hafey's 3-run walk-off homer lifted the Mission Reds to a 5-2 victory over Sacramento and made a winner out of Frank Shellenback (19-8, 3.45). San Francisco lost again to Oakland, this time by an 8-6 score to fall 5 games out of first. Meanwhile, the Angels beat Hollywood 6-5 in 12 innings to close to within a game of second place. Harry Rosenberg singled in Sam Bohne with the winning run capping a great day for Bohne. Bohne went 3-for-5 with his final hit of the day being the 3500th of his PCL career. Only Harry Heilmann, with 3512, has more PCL hits than the 36 year old Bohne.

Bohne's PCL career traces back to 1915 when he broke in with the Seals. He spent a brief period with the St Louis Cardinals the following season and bounced around a few minor leagues before returning to the PCL with Oakland in 1919. He spent 1930 in Seattle before joining the Seals in 1921 where he stayed until signing with Los Angeles prior to the 1929 season.

In real life Bohne played 14 games for the Cardinals in 1916 and then would return to the majors in 1921 where he played 5 and a half seasons for Cincinnati before spending a half a year in Brooklyn. His career ended with 3 seasons in Minneapolis with the Millers. I didn't find out much else about him other than when he made his MLB debut with St Louis he was the second youngest player in the National League. His real last name was Cohen but it is believed he was persuaded to change it by Cincinnati because the Reds did not believe the city's largely German population would welcome a player named Cohen. Among his real life career highlights was a 4-homer game and getting a hit with 2 outs in the 9th inning to spoil a no-hit bid by the Dodgers Dazzy Vance. He was a businessman in San Francisco after his retirement.
Attached Images
Old 04-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #20
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Very interesting premise. I'll be following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Fan View Post
I also imported the real 1921 PCL schedule since it is in my collection of downloaded schedule files.
I'm glad you were able to find that in your collection
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote