Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #81
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you're trying to say in this answer to my post. Is the bottom line that you have revised English first names only for 1870, but you use the game default for English first names in 1970 and 2000?
Yes and my list of English first names for 1870 is identical to the USA list of first names for 1870.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #82
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

Readme for Mac Users

Many thanks to Questdog for these files. I just installed them in my newly patched OOTP15 install, but I'm a Mac user. Here, then, are the two paragraphs of the ReadMe that change for Mac users:

Quote:
Instructions for use on a Mac:

To use these files first unzip them all into the 'database' folder where the original name files reside. Usually this is at "~/Library/Application Support/Out of the Park Developments/OOTP Baseball 15/database". The Library folder is hidden by default, but if you hold down the option key and choose the Go menu from the Finder, it will show up in the menu there.

Then, click on the file in that folder called "ethnicities.txt", wait a moment, then click it again. The name should be highlighted so that you can rename it. Rename the file to "ORG_ethnicities.txt". Alternately, you can right click (Mac right click, aka Secondary click, is control-click with one button mice. On track pads, usually it's a two-finger tap if you haven't changed those settings) on the file and click Get Info, then rename it in the Name & Extension section of the pop-up window. This will back the file up so we don't write over it in case you decide you like it better later on. Now, right click on the file named "QD_ethnicities.txt" and choose Duplicate. That will create a file called "QD_ethnicities copy.txt" Rename this copied file using the same method as above and rename it to "ethnicities.txt". Copying my files before renaming them allows you to keep a backup of all the Questdog files in case they get overwritten (which sometimes happens on patch installations). Note: If you do not see the ".txt" extension on the original files, then the Finder may not be setup to view file extensions. That is okay, but when you rename the files, do NOT type the ".txt" extension (or the ".xml" extension for later files. You can show all file extensions by going into Finder > Preferences > Advanced tab > Show all filename extensions.
The rest of the paragraphs reference duplicating files, which just use the same methods as this paragraph.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #83
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhomess View Post
Many thanks to Questdog for these files. I just installed them in my newly patched OOTP15 install, but I'm a Mac user. Here, then, are the two paragraphs of the ReadMe that change for Mac users
With your permission, I will include this in the readme of the next update, with credit to you for the translation. I will give credit to your handle, unless you'd rather use your real name. That way everyone can thank you (and not blame me if they don't work...)
Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #84
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
With your permission, I will include this in the readme of the next update, with credit to you for the translation. I will give credit to your handle, unless you'd rather use your real name. That way everyone can thank you (and not blame me if they don't work...)
Sure, no problem. My forum name will do.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #85
Kobeck
Major Leagues

stunning work

After having the chance to work with the files I have abandoned my efforts on this and I am totally stealing Questdogs efforts.

IMO this is the gold standard.
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #86
Trebro
All Star Reserve

So I decided to give this a shot, and made it work perfectly for a fictional Negro League dynasty I'm currently testing.

Now my question is this:

Since I have the 1870 files as my defaults now (renamed name, world_default, etc.), when I want to do a modern league again, I need to go back and change the defaults to, say, the 2000 versions and the QuestDog world default, correct? Or even, if I felt like it, the ORG files I created as a backup?

And then my Negro dynasty would still pull from the "old" defaults I used when I created the game, correct?

I have no experience renaming things in OOTP before, so sorry if this is dense.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #87
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelpatter View Post
So I decided to give this a shot, and made it work perfectly for a fictional Negro League dynasty I'm currently testing.

Now my question is this:

Since I have the 1870 files as my defaults now (renamed name, world_default, etc.), when I want to do a modern league again, I need to go back and change the defaults to, say, the 2000 versions and the QuestDog world default, correct? Or even, if I felt like it, the ORG files I created as a backup?

And then my Negro dynasty would still pull from the "old" defaults I used when I created the game, correct?

I have no experience renaming things in OOTP before, so sorry if this is dense.
Yes, all the files used for Questdog's Names are only read when you create a new game or re-import them into an existing game. Otherwise, the game ignores them because the information is stored in the .dat files of a saved game.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #88
Trebro
All Star Reserve

Thanks! Really awesome work, makes the game feel more real, in my limited testing so far.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #89
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Yes, all the files used for Questdog's Names are only read when you create a new game or re-import them into an existing game. Otherwise, the game ignores them because the information is stored in the .dat files of a saved game.
Which is why this is a great mod!

I changed my name files to 1870, and my world.dat to the 1870 one, imported them into my 1901 league...done

Changed them to 1970, used the default world file imported them into my 1995 league, done

Two seperate entities in each league...wonderful stuff

Got me to thinking though, can I do the same with the injury.txt file? Seems like I could

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #90
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
Which is why this is a great mod!

I changed my name files to 1870, and my world.dat to the 1870 one, imported them into my 1901 league...done

Changed them to 1970, used the default world file imported them into my 1995 league, done

Two seperate entities in each league...wonderful stuff

Got me to thinking though, can I do the same with the injury.txt file? Seems like I could
Yes, you should be able to.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #91
Bamilus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Great mod, cheers mate!
Bamilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #92
ChiefWahoo
Minors (Double A)

Quest,

Don't know if its hardcoded in the game by default or just within your world default, but it seems that most Caribbean nations, such as the Bahamas or Haiti only generate Caucasian players. That's not quite reflective of the actual country demographics.
Nonetheless, I love this mod and thank you again for your fine work!
ChiefWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #93
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
Quest,

Don't know if its hardcoded in the game by default or just within your world default, but it seems that most Caribbean nations, such as the Bahamas or Haiti only generate Caucasian players. That's not quite reflective of the actual country demographics.

Are those countries generating proper names (ex. French names for Haiti)? If you check the world_default those countries might be missing ethnicity/name set data, so they automatically generate U.S. names, and therefore, caucasian players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #94
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
Quest,

Skin color is not set by nation, but by name set used. The Bahamas in my mod uses 100% UK names, so it will have the same racial mix as any country using the UK set, which means mostly Caucasian.

Haiti is not in my mod, but if it uses the French name set in the default file, it will also be mostly Caucasian.

The only way around this would be to give the nation its own name set. The next version of Questdog Names, I think I am going to worry less about keeping it compatible with the default stuff and then I can fix stuff like this.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #95
korme
Minors (Single A)

I would love an Australia update.

I'd do it myself if I knew where to begin.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #96
BennyTheMarlin
Minors (Double A)

Questdog,
Thanks for all your hard work. I'm still a little confused despite reading through the threads.

I've previously made some changes on a few countries in explore game world, such as changing the ethnicity percentages, populations, and adding/subtracting towns. Will uploading your world default file and re-importing overwrite those changes?

Thanks.
BennyTheMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #97
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyTheMarlin View Post
Questdog,
Thanks for all your hard work. I'm still a little confused despite reading through the threads.

I've previously made some changes on a few countries in explore game world, such as changing the ethnicity percentages, populations, and adding/subtracting towns. Will uploading your world default file and re-importing overwrite those changes?

Thanks.
It depends on whether the things you have changed exist in my file. If it does, it will get overwritten; if not, it won't. Ethnicity percentages of the USA has to allowed to change, else you will be stuck with only white players. No other edits are essential.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #98
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Outstanding work, as always. Thanks Q-dog.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #99
thriller13
Minors (Single A)

I love this mod, the name variety really brings my leagues to life. Thanks for the time and effort you have put into this.
thriller13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #100
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller13 View Post
I love this mod, the name variety really brings my leagues to life. Thanks for the time and effort you have put into this.
Definitely. Installed this last night and refreshed all the names. HUGE improvement.