Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #41
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

At first I had player 2 in a landslide. But after going over the numbers a little more deeply I'm leaning towards player 3. Other than ERA his stats match very well if not favorably to the other 2. This leads me to believe his ERA might be a bit inflated so I'll throw that out and hand it to pitcher number 3.

I wonder how this poll would have been different if you didn't include ERA?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #42
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
There is no question in my mind that #3 WOULD win in real life.

It is also no question in my mind that #2 SHOULD win.

Wins are a team stat. I think it is fair to use them as a deciding factor, but in this case #2 is WAAAAY better than the others, so a 'deciding factor' should never come into it.
There is little recent Cy Young award evidence to support that. Since 2007 the WAR leader has won the Cy Young 8 out of 14 opportunities. That tells me the voters are paying attention. Of the 6 disputable awards only 2 are obvious by WAR. Verlander should have won in 2012 and Halladay should have won in 2011. Interestingly for both players it would have been 2 in a row. That suggests some voters have a reluctance to have repeat winners.

Of the remaining 4 the WAR values were so close that other considerations could justify the choice. One possible exception was Dickey/Kershaw in 2012. Once again the voters seemed reluctant to give Kershaw 2 in a row.

The win leader has won 7 of 14 Cy Young awards since 2007. Of that 7 at least 3 are the obvious choice by WAR and 2 or 3 others are reasonable based on close WAR and other factors. Based on this I'd say that 2 or 3 of the 14 Cy Young winners over the last 7 years have been disputable

Check BR for the data.

MLB Most Valuable Player MVP Awards & Cy Young Awards Winners - Baseball-Reference.com

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #43
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

I honestly think player 2 should win in OOTP and would win in real life. Those stats for player 2 are very similar to Clayton Kershaw last season. I don't think anyone would say that those extra wins nor the home/away splits make player 3 the better pitcher than the pitcher with the sub 2 ERA. I know player 3 leads in other things like strikeouts and IP, but player 2 was just plain better at allowing less runs (though probably had a very low babip which is only a sign that he'll regress next season.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #44
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
At first I had player 2 in a landslide. But after going over the numbers a little more deeply I'm leaning towards player 3. Other than ERA his stats match very well if not favorably to the other 2. This leads me to believe his ERA might be a bit inflated so I'll throw that out and hand it to pitcher number 3.

I wonder how this poll would have been different if you didn't include ERA?
Well i tried to get just the stats when you search by "Compare Player" and if anyone wanted any other stats i would provide it.

If i didn't include ERA I'm sure everyone would have said Player 3.
Aceshigh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #45
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh24 View Post
Well i tried to get just the stats when you search by "Compare Player" and if anyone wanted any other stats i would provide it.

What about WAR. My eyes say number 2 will have the most WAR but by how much over 3?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 03-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #46
PsychoBulk
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Not me.

One of the first things i look at is WHIP, the opponent batting avg, then one or two others.

ERA is way down the list for me, too many other variables.
PsychoBulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #47
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
What about WAR. My eyes say number 2 will have the most WAR but by how much over 3?
Player 2's WAR - 7.9

Player 3's WAR - 8.1
Aceshigh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #48
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Player 2's WAR - 7.9

Player 3's WAR - 8.1
Thanks. Given that then I pick 3.

RichW

Old 03-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #49
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

Player 2
MarkInCincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #50
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

I vote for Player 1

joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #51