Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 01-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
ForTheGamer
Bat Boy

Tactics suitability question

Hi! I just purchased FHM4 recently and I was wondering if anyone knows how exactly I can change my tactics from what I have. The best suitability I have is Early Modern and Neutral Zone Trap for my Kansas City Paladins(NHL expansion team).

I'm just wondering if there's a way to improve suitability. Especially because my boss wants me to be in the playoff race, I don't think Early Modern will get me there offense wise.
ForTheGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

The suitability ratings are determined by your current roster - the better the players fit the tactic, the higher it'll be rated. So, changing your players, particularly if it involves significant shifts in the type of players you have, will change which tactics are suitable for you. And bear in mind the differences between levels of suitability can be pretty slim - if you think a particular tactic will work for you but it's only rated a 3 or 4 for suitability, it's probably worth trying.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
ForTheGamer
Bat Boy

Thanks Jeff. Seems I need to figure out how to get players who fit those other systems better.
ForTheGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
The suitability ratings are determined by your current roster - the better the players fit the tactic, the higher it'll be rated. So, changing your players, particularly if it involves significant shifts in the type of players you have, will change which tactics are suitable for you. And bear in mind the differences between levels of suitability can be pretty slim - if you think a particular tactic will work for you but it's only rated a 3 or 4 for suitability, it's probably worth trying.
So the differences are slim, you are mention a 3 and 4 being acceptable, I guess then anything below a 3 should better be disregarded?
geisterhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:41 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Yeah, once you're getting that low, there are probably worthwhile differences between those and the best-rated ones.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
redtiger7
All Star Starter

I'm starting to question the suitablity accuracy. I have a bunch of players with high scoring attribites, but the best systems are torpedo, dump and chase and conservative.Most are rated 1 or 2.
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:07 AM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

We're making some changes to the player scores this week, so I'll keep an eye on the suitability scores as well to see if those are behaving properly. Those particular systems are ones I suspect are benefiting a little too much from some issues I just fixed related to defensive defencemen.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:55 AM   #8
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtiger7 View Post
I'm starting to question the suitablity accuracy. I have a bunch of players with high scoring attribites, but the best systems are torpedo, dump and chase and conservative.Most are rated 1 or 2.
Exactly that, it's usually the same systems that will get a high suitability score. I have started franchises with quite a few teams and it's usually torpedo, shero, ultraconservative, stay in your lanes, dump and chase who get good scores. Cycling for example is usually really low. Same with defensive tactics, left wing lock, neutral zone trap and 2-3 constantly are better rated then most other systems. And using common sense when looking at ratings I have come across several instances where it no way could make much sense.

Has this update already happend? If so it didn't work, if not I'm really looking forward to it. For me this is a crucial part of the game.

Until then, should I ignore the suitability rating to some part and apply tactics that I feel should suit my team? With other words are there mechanics in place that punish you for using systems with low suitability rating?

Last edited by geisterhome; 02-24-2018 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:37 AM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

No, the update that'll fix that isn't out yet. The suitability rating is being calculated properly, but with the way the player scores are now (with far too many 5's), the difference between 1 and 5 for suitability is probably much smaller than it normally will be. You may be OK with a low suitability now, but definitely check it again after the update, because it may change a lot.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #10
demons19
Minors (Double A)

The suitability rating does seem wrong to me. I have McDavid, Forsberg and Kutcherov among other elite talent. Last season it was Tarasov (5) and suddenly this season its (4) and Stay in your lanes and Ultra Conservative are (5)
demons19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #11
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demons19 View Post
The suitability rating does seem wrong to me. I have McDavid, Forsberg and Kutcherov among other elite talent. Last season it was Tarasov (5) and suddenly this season its (4) and Stay in your lanes and Ultra Conservative are (5)
So the update has happened but the tactics suitability ratings are much of the same.
I have started games with many different organisations andpretty much always the same tactics that get the best suitability ratings- Usually Torpedo, Stay in your lanes, Tarasov, Shero, Funnel, Early Mordern, Ultraconservative get the best score, I feel something isn't right there. All other systems get a 3 at best.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:09 AM   #12
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome View Post
So the update has happened but the tactics suitability ratings are much of the same.
I have started games with many different organisations andpretty much always the same tactics that get the best suitability ratings- Usually Torpedo, Stay in your lanes, Tarasov, Shero, Funnel, Early Mordern, Ultraconservative get the best score, I feel something isn't right there. All other systems get a 3 at best.

So what? Use one of them for your team
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #13
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry58 View Post
So what? Use one of them for your team
Yea sure that is what I have to do, BUT as I understand it are the systems Stay in your lanes, Shero and Early modern rather outdated(??) Then Ultraconservative is "usually a very poor choice for any team" lol.
So that doesn't leave me with much choice at all.
Usually I it's btwn Funnel and Torpedo, maybe Dump and Chase or I go with the random other system that gets a 3 star suitability, but normally they don't ever go higher than 3. While those that I named are btwn 4 and 5. That just doesn't seem right to me?

I encourage anyone who doesn't believe me to test it, just start a few different games with different current franchises (some better and some lesser ones) and compare the tactics suitability!
Old 03-09-2018, 05:50 AM   #14
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome View Post
Yea sure that is what I have to do, BUT as I understand it are the systems Stay in your lanes, Shero and Early modern rather outdated(??) Then Ultraconservative is "usually a very poor choice for any team" lol.
So that doesn't leave me with much choice at all.
Usually I it's btwn Funnel and Torpedo, maybe Dump and Chase or I go with the random other system that gets a 3 star suitability, but normally they don't ever go higher than 3. While those that I named are btwn 4 and 5. That just doesn't seem right to me?

I encourage anyone who doesn't believe me to test it, just start a few different games with different current franchises (some better and some lesser ones) and compare the tactics suitability!

I agree, maybe there are too many choices and some tactics are not so different from others. Maybe they should reduce the overall number of tactics
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #15
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

what would be the tactics that are actually closest to what teams are running in nowadays NHL?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk