Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-16-2017, 03:17 AM   #1
herm1978
Minors (Single A)

Potential changes randomly + unhappy

If I have a young (fully scouted) player with a certain potential. Over time I've noticed that the potential can decrease, is that something that I as a player have any control over or is it random?

Does it increase, can I be lucky to draft a 3* potential that increases to 4*?

Is there any limit how much it can increase/decrease?

Any age limit (like at 22 the potential is set until it starts to decrease due to age)?

At the start of the pre-season I had a player that was unhappy due to change in captainacy, even though he had never been one and I had not changed it at all since the start of the first season. That surely cant be WAD, right?

For last something that is not really a question but just shows how little I understand about what makes a good team. I had a team (NHL) with players with ability from 1,5 to 3,0 and still made the playoffs (barely), I simulated the season (and games) day to day with me letting the coach handle lines and tactics. I dont get it...
herm1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:06 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Yes, the scouting error can work in either direction. But nearer the start of the game, overrating is more prevalent in the database, so most of the changes you see will tend to be downward. By the time a player is in his early-to-mid 20's, the displayed amount stabilizes as it becomes clearer what the true potential is. And to be very clear - the potential itself isn't changing, your scouts' perception of it is (with one caveat: it is possible for a small minority of players to have random changes to their potential enabled, but it's a fairly rare thing and your scouts will mention the possible volatility in their ratings. For those guys, the actual potential will change from year to year, not just the perception of it.)

A player can become upset if he thinks the team's captain was unfairly changed, but the effect of it shouldn't be lasting into a second season, we'll check that.

An NHL team where the best player is a 3.0 is likely going to have a tough time, but with good depth and goaltending they'll still have a chance at doing OK. Doesn't hurt if the division/conference is struggling, either.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #3
herm1978
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post

An NHL team where the best player is a 3.0 is likely going to have a tough time, but with good depth and goaltending they'll still have a chance at doing OK. Doesn't hurt if the division/conference is struggling, either.
Just wanted to update this.

About 1/3 of the way into season 21/22 and the best non-goalie I have is Nick Suzuki at 3,5*s. Other than that I have goalies at 4 and 3* and the other players that have played any NHL games so far in the season are:

For defense: 4 at 3*, 2 at 2,5*, one each at 2, 1,5 and 1.
For forwards: 6 at 3* and 7 at 2,5*.

With that (and letting the AI handle tactics and lineups) I lead the league with 4 point, but with 3 games more played than the 2nd team.

Guess you dont need that many stars (or be good at handling the tactics) to do ok
herm1978 is offline   Reply With Quote