Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Questdog's Modern names for OOTP 12

I have updated my Modern Name Set from OOTP10 to work in OOTP12 and you can find it at Padresfan's Mod site as soon as he posts it.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

The mod has been posted to Padresfan's site.

For those of you who are not familiar with this nameset, I guarantee that it is the most comprehensive and realistic set of names to be had anywhere on the planet and if you are not using them, you are doing your players an injustice by making them have to bear monikers of lesser quality.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
onnel
Minors (Triple A)

Any chance of updating the old-timer name set? Is it easy to do?
onnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
ricko
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
The mod has been posted to Padresfan's site.

For those of you who are not familiar with this nameset, I guarantee that it is the most comprehensive and realistic set of names to be had anywhere on the planet and if you are not using them, you are doing your players an injustice by making them have to bear monikers of lesser quality.
Questdog, does your set include modern updates for all countries, or just USA?
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko View Post
Questdog, does your set include modern updates for all countries, or just USA?
Not all countries, but more than the USA. Hispanic, Japanese and Korean names also got upgraded (basically real ballplayer ethnicities; I don't care about the countries where very few real ball players come from). I redid the Irish for my new historical set and I can't remember if I put them in the Modern set or not.....

The Polish are getting the next upgrade (out in a week or two and the Irish will for sure be included then, if they are not already).
Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnel View Post
Any chance of updating the old-timer name set? Is it easy to do?
The way I did the Old Timer set was very specific to the game at the time (trying to outsmart it to let me do something it wouldn't let me do), so the structure of those files are not exactly proper for OOTP12. They would work, but I can't just put in a world_default.xml like the Modern Set and feel good about it.

I'm currently working on a whole new Historical Set, anyway, and hopefully I'll have that out before OOTP13.....
Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And that's the bottom line...cuz Questdog said so!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
ricko
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Not all countries, but more than the USA. Hispanic, Japanese and Korean names also got upgraded (basically real ballplayer ethnicities; I don't care about the countries where very few real ball players come from). I redid the Irish for my new historical set and I can't remember if I put them in the Modern set or not.....

The Polish are getting the next upgrade (out in a week or two and the Irish will for sure be included then, if they are not already).
Thanks for making this "world" a better place.

If you ever add Canadians to this, I'll pledge you my firstborn!
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

Hey Questdog, Great file thanks, but I have a question. since your readme and World file still show the ethnic breakdown form the old .txt file what should the ratio's be in the new XML. I am trying to figure out the ratio. All the countries seem to be straight percents. but the USA ratio is weird. 2500 and 420 and the rest is 2 doesn't add up for me. Any help on explaining?

Trevor
jtnlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have updated my Modern Name Set from OOTP10 to work in OOTP12 and you can find it at Padresfan's Mod site as soon as he posts it.
Thank you dog.......................................Z
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
koohead
Hall Of Famer

I must need more coffee...but where is the "import names file" button??? Don't we have to import the new txt file for it to be active in our existing league??
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koohead View Post
I must need more coffee...but where is the "import names file" button??? Don't we have to import the new txt file for it to be active in our existing league??
I was wondering how to do this myself............................................ ........Z
Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

I guess this is the answer.

By default, the name files are used only upon the creation of a new saved game. At that time, all the names in the name files are converted into a file called "names.dat" that is stored in the saved game directory. OOTP uses names.dat to generate names any time new players or personnel are created. However, if you wish to change the names database for an existing saved game, you can modify the names files, and then re-import them into your saved game using the Re-Import Name and Ethnicity Database option on the Global Setup page.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
I guess this is the answer.

By default, the name files are used only upon the creation of a new saved game. At that time, all the names in the name files are converted into a file called "names.dat" that is stored in the saved game directory. OOTP uses names.dat to generate names any time new players or personnel are created. However, if you wish to change the names database for an existing saved game, you can modify the names files, and then re-import them into your saved game using the Re-Import Name and Ethnicity Database option on the Global Setup page.
If you are using this with a league that has already started, you need to get in Commissioner mode and go to the "Explore World" screen from the manager's options drop down menu after you do the Re-import of Names and Ethnicities. Go to the USA and click on the tab the says "Nation Editor". Change the number next to US (Modern) to 88 instead of 2500. Then change the Hispanics to be US (Historical) (via the drop down menu) and set the number for that to 12. Set the numbers for all the rest to 0.

If you don't do this, you'll never have any African-American players in your league.

If you are using this with a new league and follow the instructions in the readme, you don't have to do this.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko View Post
Thanks for making this "world" a better place.

If you ever add Canadians to this, I'll pledge you my firstborn!
I was gonna do the Canadians, but I don't want any kids.....

The problem with doing Canada is that they are like the US and have a lot of different ethnicities living together and many of those ethnicities are not interested in playing baseball. To cull them out of the lists, as I did for the USA, is a BIG pain in the wazoo.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #16
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If you don't do this, you'll never have any African-American players in your league.

Thank you Dog I WILL do this and make my KKK league later. ..............................................Z

Last edited by Zorro; 06-23-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #17
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnlange View Post
Hey Questdog, Great file thanks, but I have a question. since your readme and World file still show the ethnic breakdown form the old .txt file what should the ratio's be in the new XML. I am trying to figure out the ratio. All the countries seem to be straight percents. but the USA ratio is weird. 2500 and 420 and the rest is 2 doesn't add up for me. Any help on explaining?

Trevor
In the world_default.xml I included with the mod, I set the US (modern) to 88 and US (historical ) to 12 and got rid of all the rest.

And that is what I recommend.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #18
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Personally, when I play, I only want players from countries that really have sent players to the majors. I don't want players from Botswana or Timbuktu, so I haven't done anything to try and make the names for those places better than they are. But they are still in there and I haven't changed the world_default.xml, except to change the USA ethnic percentages and assignments (and fix a few typos I found). So those of you who DO want to make leagues in Botswana and Timbuktu still have that option. You'll just be using default names, though.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #19
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you are using this with a league that has already started, you need to get in Commissioner mode and go to the "Explore World" screen from the manager's options drop down menu after you do the Re-import of Names and Ethnicities. Go to the USA and click on the tab the says "Nation Editor". Change the number next to US (Modern) to 88 instead of 2500. Then change the Hispanics to be US (Historical) (via the drop down menu) and set the number for that to 12. Set the numbers for all the rest to 0.

If you are using this with a new league and follow the instructions in the readme, you don't have to do this.
thanks to both of ya
Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 AM   #20
yupo72
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

Hi Questdog, if I do this will the actual names and nicknames of my ootp11 imported game remain the same? So does such files affect only new created players in the game?
Thanks
yupo72 is offline   Reply With Quote