Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
cbbl
All Star Starter

Historically accurate names - OOTP2007

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like the fact that league financials and strategies are easily aligned with the years were are playing in.

But what about names? (Fictional league here)

I can't find this on 2007. Is the process the same as 2006, that is, changing the names file to eliminate all the Rodriguezes et. al. from my 1947 league? As I recall, it wasn't easy (or maybe even possible) to adjust this over time. Is that still accurate? Can someone run me through the basics of this?

TIA!

cbbl
cbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

a friendly bump because I'm interested in knowing this as well.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
cbbl
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpcarmona View Post
a friendly bump because I'm interested in knowing this as well.
Thanks. Suprised to not see any discussion on this. For the league I've just started in 1947, I switched the nations.txt file to use the Historical US name set instead.

I guess what I'm looking for is something like Questdog's name sets for 2007 (I'm assuming his name sets won't work with '07 as more parameters have been added). I'd create one of these name sets myself, but I cannot locate the underlying data (historical name popularity for both first and surnames). All I can find is data from the 1990 census.

Maybe the answer is to modify the current txt files using the popularity parameters from Questdog's old files.

Anyway -- further discussion requested!!

cbbl
Old 03-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Your best bet is probably to convert Questdog's files, but I can't remember how much his last names were modified, as only the first names changed from decade to decade IIRC. I'll check into the bookmarks I have for "census" name data (first name only IIRC) as I used some for creating an unpublished nameset for women in the 1940s (ie, born in 1925). I haven't looked at the changes that came with 2007 yet, however.

**EDIT**

Here is the source I used for OOTP 2006. http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/index.html

It will give baby first name data for any year. Be sure to enter a specific year and select "Name rankings may include: Number of births." I selected the top 1000 names and copied the results into Excel to adjust the format for compatability.

Again, I only selected one year but one could compile a decade to get more accurate results. But I think doing so might be more work than is really necessary.

Last edited by No Pepper; 03-26-2007 at 11:54 AM.
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
cbbl
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Pepper View Post
Your best bet is probably to convert Questdog's files, but I can't remember how much his last names were modified, as only the first names changed from decade to decade IIRC. I'll check into the bookmarks I have for "census" name data (first name only IIRC) as I used some for creating an unpublished nameset for women in the 1940s (ie, born in 1925). I haven't looked at the changes that came with 2007 yet, however.

**EDIT**

Here is the source I used for OOTP 2006. http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/index.html

It will give baby first name data for any year. Be sure to enter a specific year and select "Name rankings may include: Number of births." I selected the top 1000 names and copied the results into Excel to adjust the format for compatability.

Again, I only selected one year but one could compile a decade to get more accurate results. But I think doing so might be more work than is really necessary.
Excellent, thanks. Maybe I'll make a project of this. I still need to figure out the best way to incorporate name changes and the introduction of both US players of foreign ethnicity as well as foreign players themselves. I never spent enough time with 2006 to get that far.

cbbl
Old 04-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Skywalker76
All Star Reserve

Any progress yet. I want a fictional league in 1918 but not with hispanic names.
Skywalker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Skywalker76
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbl View Post
Thanks. Suprised to not see any discussion on this. For the league I've just started in 1947, I switched the nations.txt file to use the Historical US name set instead.
How did you do that?
Skywalker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:21 AM   #8
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker76 View Post
Any progress yet. I want a fictional league in 1918 but not with hispanic names.
You can already do this by editing the nations.txt file. The problem seems to be that there's no reliable way to edit it later. The in-game nation editor doesn't seem to be fully functional (only 17 name sets show up, and American isn't one of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker76 View Post
How did you do that?
You can do it by switching the first name set used for the US from 0 to 39.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

I rebuilt the names files and the nations.txt and ethnicities.txt files in order to provide more realistic names for the early days of baseball. Combining this with the state flag mod and a purely U.S. cities.txt file has yielded some very realistic-looking results.

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
MD has disciples.
Malleus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #10
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus Dei View Post
I rebuilt the names files and the nations.txt and ethnicities.txt files in order to provide more realistic names for the early days of baseball. Combining this with the state flag mod and a purely U.S. cities.txt file has yielded some very realistic-looking results.
have you uploaded your work anywhere? I'd be interested in using this for a solo league project I am working on.

thanks.