Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Improved Historical Facegens

The historical facegen pack is an amazing accomplishment given the scope of players to be done. But if you've ever tried using historical facegens, especially with early teams, you'll find yourself wondering if the early players were zombies. That's because the faces were made from black and white pics and in the past, it was really hard to make b&w face look good in facgen. But facegen added some new and powerful editing tools, which make it easy to get b&w faces looking good.

I'm going to try to do some work on the historical faces, to get them looking like real people. I'll try to post team and maybe even season packs, if possible. If anyone else can contribute in fixing up the historical faces, please do.

I'm not making new faces here, just adjusting the faces from the historical facegen pack. So all the credit should go to the folks who originally worked so long and hard, and did such a great job making all those faces.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-21-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

1927 Giants

Original:

Modified:

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-21-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

1927 Yankees

Original

Modified
Old 08-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Wow, that's some great work already. I don't play historical, but keep it up - a lot of folks will certainly benefit from this.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Need some opinions.

If you look closely at each of the modified pics you'll see some differences in skintone. The Giants are a little more uniformly peach coloured than the Yankees, who are generally a little paler and perhaps a bit more varied in their colouring.

Which looks better to you guys? Or does it matter?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

1927 Pirates

Original

Modified
Old 08-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Need some opinions.

If you look closely at each of the modified pics you'll see some differences in skintone. The Giants are a little more uniformly peach coloured than the Yankees, who are generally a little paler and perhaps a bit more varied in their colouring.

I'm going to say the Yankees look better. I'm sure it won't matter when it comes to playing out games, because you'd rarely see the whole team at once, barring the team picture function, but more skin tone variety is always a good thing.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Need some opinions.

Yankees.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Thanks guys. I'd have to agree. I used a bit of a hybrid technique with the Pirates though tending toward the Yankee end of things. Guess the Yankees is what we'll go with from here on out.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-21-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Btw, for anyone that might want to help out. This is actually really, really quick and easy to do. You'd be surprised. It's usually only a matter of adjusting one slider.

I can give anyone that wants directions that will have you up and running in a minute, and it usually only takes 15-30 seconds to do each face.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-21-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

1927 Cardinals

Original

Modified
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

I'm going to dispense with the before and after pics unless someone really wants them. You can get the idea from what's already been posted.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-21-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

1927 Athletics

No before pic but I'll keep including pics of what the modded faces look like. I like seeing the pics!

Seeing the pic, some of these may be a little on the pale side. I may revisit these. Still trying to figure out the perfect balance.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-22-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'd have to agree. I used a bit of a hybrid technique with the Pirates though tending toward the Yankee end of things. Guess the Yankees is what we'll go with from here on out.
I like the Pirates, too. Maybe even a bit better. Either one is a vast improvement. Are you going to do all 19000? ;o)
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
I like the Pirates, too. Maybe even a bit better. Either one is a vast improvement. Are you going to do all 19000? ;o)
Cool, thanks.

It'd be nice to go through all 19,000. I doubt I'll make it on my own, given how much there is to do with rosters (which is my main focus) and that the 2013 MLB quickstart needs more faces too.

Hoping I can do a lot and that this will get others interested enough that we can get a bunch of people working on them. If that happens we can go through all 19,000 pretty quickly.

This looks impressive but it's really quite simple and quick to do. It took me some time at first, and experimented with some different techniques, but just realized that for faces without any major structural issues there's one slider that will pretty much do everything that's needed. So for many of the faces it's just a matter of loading them, sliding the button up, and saving. Takes 10 seconds per face.

Plus, a lot of the modern faces which were made from colour photos actually look fine. Some need work, but a lot are good. So It's probably really more like 12-15,000 than 19,000.

For now I'll keep going till 1927 gets finished up. After that I'll probably work my way backward or forward from 1927, not sure which yet, as time allows me to.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-21-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #16
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Btw, for anyone that might want to help out. This is actually really, really quick and easy to do. You'd be surprised. It's usually only a matter of adjusting one slider.

I can give anyone that wants directions that will have you up and running in a minute, and it usually only takes 15-30 seconds to do each face.
Sure. I don't have much time to play or customize the game as much I'd like, but if it's as quick as you say, then I could give it a try.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC1878 View Post
Sure. I don't have much time to play or customize the game as much I'd like, but if it's as quick as you say, then I could give it a try.
Cool. Get the facegen modeler here if you don't already have it.

Once it's installed and you start it up you to the File > Open. Then open the facegen you want to modify.

For most pre-made historical faces all you'll then need to do is to go to the Generate tab, the tab on the far left of the set of tabs to the right of where the face will be displayed. Then pick the All Races tab.

Under Step 2 on that screen (you can ignore step 1), you'll see a set of sliders. The sliders you'll use most are the caricture sliders. Use the right caricture slider, which sets colour. (If the sync lock box at the bottom of the slider is checked, then uncheck it) With a historical facegen loaded it'll typically be somewhere in the section that says monster. Drag that slider up, to the general area of where it says typical, or even to attractive, or until the face looks fairly human to you.

For most faces, that'll do it, you can then save. For a few you may want to try playing with the other sliders on that screen, or those on the shape or colour tabs, but for the most part, that's the only slider you'll need to touch. It'll at least get things looking decent, even if not perfect.

See the pic below:

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-22-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Okay. Just tried a few. Let me know how they look.
Attached Files
File Type: fg waite_hoyt.fg (8.0 KB, 663 views)
File Type: fg zeke_bonura.fg (5.9 KB, 502 views)
File Type: fg art_lopatka.fg (6.5 KB, 505 views)
Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quite good.

Hoyt is perfect. Bonura and Lopatka could maybe use a teeny bit more colouring. If I was making them I'd probably adjust their caracture colouring up to the attractive range. You could also move the caricature shape slider, immediately to the left of the caracture colour slider, just a bit up with Bonura if you wanted, since his face looks a little odd.

But that's really just picking nits. It's something that you'll get a feel for as you go along and you may prefer the faces slightly paler than I do. If so, you absolutely nailed it.

Overall they look fantastic. Good job.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-21-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #20
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Okay. I don't have a preference. I wasn't sure on the skin tone. I'm not familiar with a lot of these players. So I'll just add a bit of more colour then.

Just let me know players from what year should I start with.