Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #41
neugey
All Star Reserve

Solid fielder at CF who's good at hitting the line drive singles and gap doubles and triples. I had him in a platoon this season but I'm considering giving him the job full-time so I can platoon instead at LF. Not going to set the world on fire but you could worse at the bottom third of your lineup.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #42
DMan77
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I guess this is probably more of a general OTTP question... But what makes one of these players 'good'? Or what makes it a better option than a card that might have a higher total?

Are you guys looking at anything in particular as far as stats and such goes? Or just sort of the "the higher the better"?
DMan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #43
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan77 View Post
I guess this is probably more of a general OTTP question... But what makes one of these players 'good'? Or what makes it a better option than a card that might have a higher total?

Are you guys looking at anything in particular as far as stats and such goes? Or just sort of the "the higher the better"?
For hitters I look at contact/gap first - look at left/right splits in case I might want to platoon the guy with someone else. I also look closely at defense. An elite defense guy at SS/2B/CF/C might outweigh good offense.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #44
DMan77
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
For hitters I look at contact/gap first - look at left/right splits in case I might want to platoon the guy with someone else. I also look closely at defense. An elite defense guy at SS/2B/CF/C might outweigh good offense.
Interesting! Thank you.

Another sort of broad question, but how often do you find yourself overriding the AI?

Do you find yourself sending guys in the high 60's.low 70's to the reserve in place of lower scored cards for the reasons you mentioned?
DMan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #45
FancySkunk
All Star Reserve

Absolute monster vs. lefties, still good vs. righties, no glove:

FancySkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:55 PM   #46
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan77 View Post
Interesting! Thank you.

Another sort of broad question, but how often do you find yourself overriding the AI?

Do you find yourself sending guys in the high 60's.low 70's to the reserve in place of lower scored cards for the reasons you mentioned?

I make all the decisions on the 25 man roster and never ever look strictly at ovr rating. That said, they are highly rated for a reason but I've got gold cards on the reserve team and silver cards on my active roster.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #47
matingly23
Minors (Double A)

As a backup and/or platoon guy vs LHP, Paul LoDuca is pretty decent. Great defense and he's been available on the cheap on the AH.
matingly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:08 AM   #48
Canadaleaf
Minors (Double A)

WOO just snagged Mike Lavalliere off the auction house for BIN for 400 PP. Lucky day for me!
Canadaleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 PM   #49
Warhawk
Major Leagues

I have 2 bronze players remaining on my roster, one is my backup first baseman, but the other is Justin Anderson, relief pitcher for the Angels, who has a 68 rating. He's a 128 stuff guy with two pitches, a fastball and a slider, both of which are nasty.

Here's his season stats for me in bronze:

27 1/3 innings, 13 H, 10 BB, 3 ER, 45 K, 0.99 ERA, 0.83 WHIP
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #50
Janks
Minors (Triple A)

Here are some from my teams.

Adam Kennedy won great bat, MVP and batting crown in Bronze
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #51
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Honestly my main takeaway in filling out 3 completely different teams the past week is that there are really great silver & bronze cards to fit pretty much any strategy.

I would hesitate though, to offer general advice like "prioritize contact/gap power". Yes those can be great players, if that's your strategy that fits your ballpark. But players with different skills can be just as good with the right park setup/strategy too.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #52
Thornbreaker
Minors (Double A)

I can second Luis Aparicio - Hit .270 and swiped 75+ bags at a 75% clip. He'll be an excellent back up still down the road.

The silver Paul Waner hit .300+ for me, and I got a silver Terry Moore that dropped a .320+ avg 20+ hr and 90+ rbi...while batting 7th...

Silver hector Neris dropped 35 saves and a sub 2.5 era. He'll fit nicely into a set up role now that I've added a diamond closer.
Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #53
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Here's another doing well for me. My Las Vegas Black Panthers are 42-17 in Iron .181, and while my #1 pitcher Harvey Haddix (gold 85) is having a fine enough season, the real star of my starting rotation has been 77 rated Collin McHugh. He's 10-1 with a 1.71 ERA and a 0.86 WHIP (granted, pretty low BABIP), allowing only 3 home runs in 89 1/3 innings. He's leading in the all star voting, ahead of a perfect Chris Sale and a 98 rated 2003 Roy Halladay.
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #54
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
Honestly my main takeaway in filling out 3 completely different teams the past week is that there are really great silver & bronze cards to fit pretty much any strategy.

I would hesitate though, to offer general advice like "prioritize contact/gap power". Yes those can be great players, if that's your strategy that fits your ballpark. But players with different skills can be just as good with the right park setup/strategy too.
Agreed. I have had some success with contact/gap power and am on the lookout on the AH for certain players that fit that mold. Great that you can succeed in this game with multiple strategies. Although a low contact power team seems to struggle.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #55
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Although a low contact power team seems to struggle.
My homer & walks team is performing quite well so far too. The eye rating is key IMO...homers with no one on base don't help much.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #56
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
My homer & walks team is performing quite well so far too. The eye rating is key IMO...homers with no one on base don't help much.
how important is avoiding K's to those guys?
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #57
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
how important is avoiding K's to those guys?
Not at all. I don't care much about moving runners over for that team, or hit & runs. It's very much an all-or-nothing approach. It's inevitable to end up with really bad avoid K ratings anyway...almost all the good sluggers have low ratings.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:39 PM   #58
Morug
Major Leagues

Devon Travis, fine second base for a bronze.
Hernan Perez, good bronze multi position player...running hot for a bench player in my club, .350 3hr 14 rbi in 60 AB.
Morug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:19 AM   #59
ElementalKnight
Minors (Single A)

How is Mike LaValliere only a bronze? His catching stats are through the roof, and he still has good contact. And he's a lefty catcher!
ElementalKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #60
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalKnight View Post
How is Mike LaValliere only a bronze? His catching stats are through the roof, and he still has good contact. And he's a lefty catcher!
Shhhh! Don't tell anyone or word will get out!

Just kidding... he's definitely a popular card on the AH. His average sale price is creeping higher and higher.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote