Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 03-31-2019, 01:31 PM   #41
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

World Series

October 12th, 1903: I'll give a little recap on the World Series matchups. Game one was an easy 9-0 shutout by the hometeam Lightning. Eddie Long went 8.1 innings with 7 hits, 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Dennis Fox was 4-for-5 with 4 runs scored, an RBI, and just a homer away from the cycle. Julio Montes was 2-for-3 with a three run homer.

October 13th, 1903: Horrible news, as Carlos Sandate suffered a major setback, and will miss all of next season...

Wow...

Should've stopped playing after we lost...

Kind of killed my interest in the World Series, so I just simmed ahead. Philly won 4-2, giving them their first title in franchise history in their 10th postseason appearence.

On to a busy offseason!

And then another Carlos Sandate less season...
Old 04-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #42
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Awards, Arbtiration, and Pre-Free Agency

October 21st, 1903: The offseason officially starts today even though our season ended a little earlier then I wanted.

In the most shocking news, the injured Carlos Sandate opted-out of his deal, and will instead test free agency. Him and Jason Campbell (who also opted out) are Type-A Free Agents while Brett Olsen (voided his player option) is a Type B Free Agent. Non compensation free agents include Tyler Bienvenu, Vince Brown, Ernie Morris, and Mike Shaddox.

I considered a Campbell extension, but with him demanding nearly $5,000 a season (about double what Cody Hall makes) I think I'll be fine taking the pick. But depending on offseason development, I'd be more then willing to take him back.

I decided to execute Simon Ellingson's affordable $1,200 option instead of paying a $180 buyout.

Lastly Tobias Laranjeira decided not to opt out, and honestly I would've preferred an opt-out.

A lot of coaching changes will happen in the minors with guys retiring or not being extended. In the majors, the Rebels fired manager Kyle Moss, the Red Hawks fired manager William Coronado, the Mustangs fired GM Jay Scott, and the Venom fired GM Eric Jones.

Here's how arbitration is lining up:

RP Juan de Loera (1-year, $837)
RP Ben Follmar (1-year, $1,050)
RP Tim Weiss (Non-tendered)
C Muhan Yakin (Non-tendered)
1B Juan Vela (1-year, $983)
3B Jesus Camargo (5-years, $11,880)
CF Jorge Rancier (1-year, $944)
RF Jim Raines (1-year, $793)

October 27th, 1903: Minor waiver claim, claiming the recently claimed SS Pete McCoy from the Cincinnati Red Hawks. Claimed just 3 days earlier from the Lightning, who took him 23rd Overall in 1898, got a small cup of coffee with the Lightning, going 1-for-5 with a double and RBI in 4 appearences off the bench. He's a gap-to-gap hitter that won't hit the long ball or strikeout, while offering really good defense at short. He's got two options left after one was used this season.

October 28th, 1903: The Wildcats offered me a minor trade, RHP Rhett Wigmore for LHP Juan Barajas, and I accepted it.

A 24-year-old from Austraillia, he has near identical ratings to Barajas, but without as big of an injury history. Both will be out of options next year, and I'm liking Whigmore a little more.

October 29th, 1903: Damina Salcido won his second straight Gold Glove at SS.

October 30th, 1903: Cincinnati CL Paul Monroe (16, 80) and Newark RP Mike Cianciarulo (10/16, 62) were named Relievers of the Year. Cleveland's Dao-zi Thum (6/16, 60) was a close runner-up and probably deserved it over Cianciarulo.

October 31st, 1903: I'm a little confused on how he won, but Jason Campbell (.042/.042/.056) was named Silver Slugger for AL pitchers. Jesus Camargo, Damian Salcido, and Justin Arrington won at 3B, SS, and LF resepectively.

November 1st, 1903: New Orleans 1B Jesus Falcon (16, 80) and Philadelphia SP Matt Patterson (15/16, 78) were named Rookies of the Years. Falcon was an easy selection, but patterson only pitched in 24 games (14 starts) and tallied just 107.1 innings, although he had a dominate 1.76 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, and 113 strikeouts to just 29 walks.

November 2nd, 1903: Our very own Brett Hunter and champion Josh West were named Managers of the Year. This was Hunters second Manager of the Year, winning back in 1898 with Brooklyn, although they fired him after last season.

November 3rd, 1903: St. Louis SP Jim McNiff (16, 112) and Brooklyn SP Jerry Smith (16, 112) swept the Jeff Russel Pitcher of the Year Award. McNiff turned in the 4th best single season ERA (2.01) and Smith broke the win record (27).

November 4th, 1903: New York RF Armando Chavez (8/16, 181) beat McNiff (6/16, 158) in the MVP race in the AL while Philadelphia SS Willie Gonzalez (11/16, 199) topped Smith (5/16, 153) in the NL. The champion Gonzalez is a career .301 hitter in 73 at bats off Smith with 5 homers. Chavez also has success over McNiff, hitting .310 in 29 at bats.

On to Free Agent filings!
Old 04-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #43
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Free Agency Pt. 1

November 13th, 1903: Sandate, Olsen, and Campbell all declined arbitration and joined the Free Agent Pool.

The yearly "Top 10" in no perticular order:
LHP Tony Downs
LHP Jason Campbell
2B Carlos Licea
RHP ravis Adams
3B Juan Ozuna
CF Robun Fujimoto
RF Brett Olsen
RF Mike Koski
CF Carlos Sandate

CF Takaya Fujimoto signed a 3-year, $5,940 deal with the Pittsburgh Pilots. The 28-year-old came over from Japan, where he played with Kobe (1894, 1896-1901) and Osaka (1901-1903). He wasn't even that good, hitting just .208/.393/.368 with 56 homers and 241 RBI's in 1,812 at bats, but he's fast and a solid defender.

After surveying the roster, it's obious we need 1 maybe 2 starters, a little help at the back of the pen, a catcher, and maybe an upgrade at 2B/3B (wherever Camargo doesn't play) and the outfield.

November 17th, 1903: Made a few minor moves, purchasing the contract of top prospect Jorge Montalvo and LF Alex Nagel to avoid losing them in the Rule-5 Draft later in the offseason.

November 18th, 1903: The Pilots acquired former Charger SP Eddie Silva and C Tim Montoya from the Buffalo Calvary for SS David Hollway.

November 20th, 1903: I solved my 2B problem, sending LF Pedro Mendosa to the Newark Venom for 2B Andy Palme.

Palme, 34, is a great defender at second, third, and short woth a great eye at the plate. He's not the best hitter, but holds a resepctable .278/.369/.361 line with 27 homers and 357 RBI's in 3,683 career at bats with the Pilots, Lightning, Venom, and Mustangs.

November 22nd, 1903: The Hall of Fame ballott was announced today, and I made my picks:

LF Isaiah Abraham (6th, 63.5%)
SP Jonathan Brogden (4th, 64.7%)
LF Chris Morris (1st)
RF Penn Myers (2nd, 61.4%)
SS Andres Soto (2nd, 38.9%)

For those who get inducted, I'll write a little about some of the hisotrical greats that precursor the written portion of the dynasty.

November 24th, 1903: The Boston Patriots acquired LF Jason Young from the Milwaukee Mustangs for LHP Steve Esparza and 1B Mark Jungmann.

November 27th, 1903: The Baltimore Hornets acquried LHP Sal Lopez from the Clevleand Cyclones for SS Israel Parra and RHP Joe Slaydon.

Up next is the Winter Meetings and Rule-5 Draft!
Old 04-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #44
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Winter Meetings and Rule-5 Draft

November 30th, 1903: All the UBL GM's gathered in beautiful Jacksonville, Florida for the 1903 Winter Meetings. While everyone was just getting settled, I was working on piecing together a championship team.

I started my dumping half of Rich Bennett's contract on the Newark Venom for Connor Park who I then sent to the Milwaukee Mustangs for CF James Rose (35% retained).

Rose, 23, was the 4th Overall Pick out of North Carolina in 1902. He's got elite speed and is an elite defender in center. He's got a plus eye, but is a light hitter. He's got one option left, but is just a 1-for-4 with a double in 5 games between this and last season.

I then went to upgrade the rotation, sending SP prospects Angel Pacho and Mark Wheeler to the Red Hawks for Matt Puckett.

We saw the former 8th Round Pick with the Red Hawks multiple times this season, and he'll fill the third spot in the rotation. The durable 31-year-old is under contract for two seasons, and is coming off a 6.2 WAR seasons where he was 12-12 with a 4.18 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, and 250 strikeouts in 241 innings. In his career, he's 90-96 with a 4.58 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, and 1,575 strikeouts in 298 games (252 starts).

December 1st, 1903: The first major free agent to sign is none other then former Charger Jason Campbell who signed a 5-year, $18,920 deal with the Brooklyn Bearcats. The 32-year-old finished 1903 13-13 with a 3.88 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, and 284 strikeouts in 35 starts, although he was better with us then Cleveland. Since Brooklyn's first was not protected, we will receive both the 15th Overall Pick and what is currently the 1st pick in the Supplemental Round.

It's not the only big signing, as the Mustangs inked 2B Carlos Licea to a 4-year, $13,080 contract. The 34-year-old will head to the AL for the first time in his career, as he's spent it all with Baltimore and Boston. he's a .289/.359/.488 hitter with 340 homers and 1,087 RBI's, but he's always had trouble staying healthy.

I decided not to make any moves today, but tomorrow is the Rule-5 Draft.

December 2nd, 1903: I didn't take or lose anyone in the Rule-5 Draft.

The quiet Winter Meetings continued, but it would hopefully end with an exciting final day!

December 3rd, 1903: The Cyclones sent LF Felix Aguirre to the Patriots for RHP Martin Heathershaw and 1B Brian Port.

I managed to upgrade at catcher, sending SP Brandon French to the Hornets for C Jeremy Bell.

Bell, 32, is a 3* who's elite defender behind the plate with an absolute cannon and decent pitch framing abilities. His offense is a little on the decline, but he's much better then the on hand options. He's actually a former Charger, a 3rd Round pick out of Alabama in 1893, and spent 1897-1899 in the majors before being selected by Newark in the Expansion draft. His career took off in Newark, where he put up his best full season. In his career, he's a .252/.333/.408 hitter with 102 homers and 368 RBI's.

I finished off the Winter Meetings by sending 1B Juan Vela and LF Devin McDowell to the Mustangs for RP Jesse Padula (25% retained).

Padula, 22, is a durable righty who was taken 12th overall this season by the Mustangs. In Class B New Bedford, he had a 0.63 ERA and 1.12 WHIP with 12 strikeouts in 14.1 innings. He's rated a 1.4/4* with elite stuff, plus movement, and plus-plus control. He hits triple digits with a 95 rated fastball and he can fool batters with a plus curve.

We'll finish 1903 next! I'll try to get another one in later today!
Old 04-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #45
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Free Agency Pt. 2

December 4th, 1903: The day after the Winter Meetings ended, the Washington Wildcats acquired LHP Dustin Casteel from the New Orleans Cajuns for LF Raul Gonzalez, LHP Nick Fonseca, and RHP Bobby Way. It feels like an overpay, as Casteel is just a medicore reliever while the three prospects, while none great, have interesting upside.

I'm going to start to give a little more detail on the players swapped to put it into a better perspective.

December 6th, 1903: The Wildcats continued to make moves, acquiring RHP Tim Allday from the Brooklyn Bearcats for 3B Cody Lowrie and LHP Bobby Percy.

Allday was signed to a massive 7-year deal in Free Agency last year, but had the worst season of his career with Brooklyn. He's a career 112-57 with a 3.65 ERA and 1.18 WHIP with 1,132 strikeouts in 1,541 big league innings.

Lowrie, a 30-year-old, is a fringe starter coing off a barley above replacement season, hitting just .225/.265/.422, albeit with 23 homers and 66 RBI's. The former 2nd Rounder is in the last year before free agency, and has tallied a .265/.316/.461 line with 112 homers and 344 RBI's in 2,306 at bats.

Percy, 24, is just a mediocre relief prospect.

It wasn't the only trade of the day, as the Rebels and Venom made a 5-player trade. SS Matt Clawson and RHP Dustin Knott are headed to New York and CF Danny Diaz, CF Michael Trejo, and SS Kevin Bond will go to Newark.

Clawson, 33, is the only major leaguer involved in the trade. He's a likght hitting defensive shortstop who has a career .291/.352/.419 line with 54 homers and 348 RBI's.

Of the prospects, only Trejo and Bond are really worth much. The 19-year-old Trejo is probably the best defensive CF in the minors and he's got blazing speed. Bond, also 19, is a glove first shortstop with an average bat. Both have floors of utility guys with second division starter potential.

Knott could also be mentinoed as the former 12th Overall Pick in 1902, although he's been traded twice (Selected by Milwaukee) and doesn't really have starter stamina. He looks like an early bust, although he could fill a pen.

Lastly Diaz is a 23-year-old flyball hitter with absolutely no power. He's got good speed and defenseive instincts, but he's likely an upper minors player at best, and hasn't progressed past Class C.

Made a minor claim of my own, acquiring RHP Andrew Thompson off waivers from the Chicago Cardinals. A former 8th Round Pick, he's recovering from elbow ligament reconstruction surgery, but if he doesn't decline too much, he could be a fringe 5th starter. Worst case, the 24-year-old could be a decent longman out of the pen with an intriguing four pitch mix.

December 14th, 1903: Signed a pair of relievers today to fill out my 40-Man Roster in RHP's Toshiya Hayashi and Juan Londono

Hayashi, 29, is a gamble on ratings over stats. A former Japanese Star, he was seleceted by the Kobe Cobras in the 2nd Round back in 1894. After a 6-year Career in Japan, he came stateside after the 1900 season and signed with the New York Rebels. He's looked awful in the UBL, with his "best" season in 1902 where he had a 5.05 ERA and 1.44 WHIP, although he's struck out over 10 per/9 even with his struggles. What he does have gonig for him is his 100 rated stuff, a triple digit fastball, and the fact that when hit, it'll almost always be on the ground. He's a sidearmer who can go multiple innings.

Londono, 28, is one of the best relievers in the game, a 4.5* with elite stuff, plus-plus movement, and plus control. Another extreme groundballer, he has elite stamina (83) and hits 95-97 with his plus-plus sinker. He gets a lot of groundballs with that and his 94 rated slider. With Philly, Newark, and St. Louis, he has a 3.90 ERA and 1.38 WHIP with 301 strikeouts in 321 innings and is coming off a season with a 3.07 ERA and 1.05 WHIP with 76 punchouts in 73.1 innings.

As of now, they'll have the 7th and 8th inning, but I have to add another lefty to pair with Ellingson behind the closer Laranjeira.

The Brooklyn Bearcats brought back 3B Juan Ozuna on a 3-year, $8,100 contract. The 29-year-old native of Columbia has a career .282/.339/.512 batting line with 215 homers and 628 RBI's.

December 17th, 1903: Former Charger RF Eric Creel signed a 3-year, $9,380 contract with the Chicago Cardinals. The 30-year-old vet owns an impressive .303/.380/.574 line (140 OPS+) with 297 homers and 814 RBI's, although he had a down year in Cleveland last season. He slashed just .244/.326/.478, but with 31 homers and 87 RBI's. It was his first season with a slugging percentage below .525 and just second below .575.

December 27th, 1903: After a little break in offseason action, the Washington Wildcats were back to trading, this time sending C Travis Jennings and LHP Jon Ronces to Baltimore for former Charger RHP Justin Pezzetti and RHP Chris Padgett.

Based soley off raitings, Pezzetti is the best of the bunch. He improved after we traded him (5.87 to 3.54 ERA, 1.72 to 1.33 WHIP, 5.2 to 8.0 K/9) after he dropped his slightly below average third pitch.

Jennigns, 25, is a plus defender behind the plate with an averageish bat for a catcher. In just 120 career games, he has a .223/.309/.342 line with 4 homers and 28 RBI's.

Padgett and Ronces are both fringe starting pitcher prospects that'll likely end up in the bullpen.

That's all for 1903, on to 1904!!!

I heard it's the year of the Chargers!!!
Old 04-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #46
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Free Agency Pt. 3

January 3rd, 1904: First move of the new year was filling the open lefty role in the pen, adding veteran Matt Macias on a 2-year, $1,400 per year deal. He owns a career 3.99 ERA and 1.34 WHIP with 376 strikeouts in 369.2 innings. A former 2nd Rounder, he had a rough and shortened season with the Rebels, but I'm betting on his pure stuff and ability to blow guys away with his upper 90s fastball.

I'll work on freeing up a 40-Man spot tomorrow.

January 4th, 1904: I sent three players to Newark, RF Jim Raines, RP Felix Pena, and CF Andrew Murphy to the Newark Venom for CF Jesse Chesley.

Chesley, 30, will be lightly penciled in to the starting CF job. Ironically selected from us by Newark in the 1900 expansion draft, Chesley has put together four solid seasons, hitting .281/.367/.378 with 16 homers, 193 RBI's, and 70 steals. A light hitter with great athleticism, the former 3rd Round Pick out of Baylor by Philadelphia, he's a cheap and quality lefty center field option to compliment the rightly Rancier.

Raines, who spent the whole season in the majors this year, was out of options, is fragile, and overall not that good. Pena was a DFA candidate who I threw in. Murphy is a former 3rd rounder who's a switch hitter with decent potential. He's a bat first guy who's going to end up in left. He's got a ton of upside, but with Arrington locked up, there isn't too much need for Murphy.

January 5th, 1904: I claimed RHP Rogelio "Grimy' Palacios off waivers from New York. A durable 23-year-old, he's a borderline starter that's lacking the stamina I prefer in starters. I like him as a early inning reliever, who keeps the ball on the ground and mixes his three pitches effectively.

January 5th, 1904: The Hall of Fame results were announced, with LF Chris Morris (78.7%) and LF Isaiah Abraham (75.5%) being selected. Penn Myers (66.1%) and Jonathan Brogden (64.7%) were both close on their 2nd and 4th years on the ballot.

Morris will go in wearing a New Orleans ballcap, where he spent 1884-1890 in the majors. He was the 5th Overall selection in 1880, he was a three time MVP ('85, '89, '91), a Gold Glover in RF, and a 6-Time Platinum Stick winner in his career with the Cajuns, Red Hawks, and Chargers. Form 1884-1898, he tallied 6,662 at bats and slashed .307/.373/.609 with 535 homers and 1,410 RBI's. His JAWS, Black Ink, Gray Ink, HOF Standards, and HOF Monitor are all higher then the averages, and was able to make it on his first time on the ballot.

Abraham would also go in with a New Orleans hat, having spent 1878-1885 with the organization that took him #1 Overall in 1876. The 1879 Rookie of the Year never won MVP, but was an 11-Time Platinum Stick Winner. Known for his bat and not his glove, he has a .294/.392/.580 line with 513 homers, 1,352 RBI's, and 999 walks. In a career from 1878-1893, he played with the Cajuns, Cyclones, and Wildcats. It was his 6th attempt at the hall, and he basically splits the middle for the 5 HOF metrics (way above 1, way below another, near average at one, slightly below one, slightly above another).

January 7th, 1904: Continued to add minor league depth with the waiver claim of LF Evan Francis from Cleveland. The 23-year-old was a former 5th Round Pick in 1899 with elite speed and elite defense in left. He can fill in in center and right as well, and has a decent bat. He's got the floor of a 4th OF with the potential to be a Jorge Rancier type player.

January 9th, 1904: A day after his 33rd birthday, RF Mike Koski agreed to a 2-year, $1,400 per year deal with the second year a team option with a $140 buyout. The righty Koski spent his whole career with Boston, who drafted him in the 2nd Round in 1890. He tallied 236 homers and 702 RBI's in 4,020 career at bats with a .276/.341/.525 line. He's likely to form a really good platoon with the lefty Josh Stevens, although Koski may just beat him outright for the job.

I DFA'd veteran Jose Trejo, who's basically a useless 33-year-old minor leaguer.

Cleveland made a signing of their own, adding 39-year-old veteran Travis Adams on a 1-year, $2,500 deal. The former 1st Round Pick way back in 1882 by the then Washington Senators, Adams has been one of the best pitchers the league has seen. A career 241-177 with a 3.83 ERA and 1.29 WHIP, he's never overpowered hitters, with a career 6.6 K/9, but he does a great job of generating weak contact. He sits 4th All-Time in Wins, has the UBL record 155 complete games, the third most shutouts, 2nd most innings pitched, and 5th most pWAR.

January 12th, 1904: I received another compensation pick with RF Brett Olsen signing a 3-year, $3,060 per year contract with the final season a 550 plate appearance vesting option. The newest member of the Cincinnati Red Hawks is coming off a .306/.380/.603 year with 25 homers and 67 RBI's as he helped push us to the playoffs. Our supplemental picks are currently 2nd and 4th in the now 5 pick round.

Newark acquired SS Raul Slinas and 3B Dusty Couto from Boston for LF Matt Scwartz and LF Steve Fessenden.

Newark paid a hefty price for the elite defensive middle infielder in the 28-year-old Salinas. The reinging Gold Glover at short, Salinas has put up positive WAR in each full season in the majors with the Patriots, and owns a respectable .264/.315/.410 line with 76 homers, 387 RBI's, and 119 steals.

While neither Schwartz or Couto are any good, the southpaw Steve Fessenden looks like a future closer. A 2nd Round selection, he had a rough debut year in the majors, working to a 5.04 ERA and 1.50 WHIP with 31 walks and 44 strikeouts in 44.2 innings, but the upside is more then apparent. With elite stuff, plus movement, and developing control, he's rated as a 2.5/4.5* with a 95-97 elite cutter and plus-plus slider he slings from a 3/4 armslot.

Trejo cleared, and was outrighted to Grand Rapids.

January 13th, 1904: The Cardinals signed LHP Tony Downs to a 2-year, $4,340 deal with the second season a 180 innings pitched vesting option. Downs ha topped 180 just once in his career, tallying 203.2 in 1901 although his next highest total was 112.2 as a rookie in 1898. A 3rd Round pick by Milwaukee, he's 37-30 with a 3.80 ERA and 1.28 WHIP in 173 games (108 starts) with Milwaukee, Washington, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh.

January 14th, 1904: More trade action with RF John Peterson heading to Milwaukee from New Orleans for SS Drew Estrada and C Tony Cercignani.

Peterson is almost an exact replica of Josh Stevens lookng purely off ratings, except as a R/L not L/R. He owns a .254/.332/.521 line with 141 homers and 361 RBI's in 2,041 big league at bats.

Neither prospect is worth much, so it looks like a salary shedding move at best.

Intriguing enough, the Mustangs offered me a deal for Stevens the next day.

January 17th, 1904: The Red Hawks acquired RHP Mike Marchini and SS Tim Roode from the Patriots for RF Tim Schroeder.

The Iron Man Marchini is a solid right handed closer who's lead the league in appearances two straight years with 78 and 71. He has 99 career saves with a 3.70 ERA and 1.29 WHIP, and they got Roode, an elite defensive SS prospect to help them take on the contract. Schroder probably has the least value, although he's a decent speedy 4th outfielder still on a minimum contract.

January 20th, 1904: More depth with the addition of 100 rated CF and RF (and LF if he ever played there...) Justin McFarland. The 23-year-old was claimed off waivers form Brooklyn and will head to Class C Bay City as he works on his bat. He's also an 100 for speed, stealing, and baserunning as well as range.

January 28th, 1904: Right before the start of the preseason, the Red Hawks signed SP Humberto Gonzalez to a 2-year, $2,700 per year deal. The "Wrecked" 34-year-old has a ton of talent, and was 5-2 with a 2.18 ERA and 0.98 WHIP this season before tearing his labrum at the end of May. The native of Panama owns a 127-92 record with a 3.90 ERA and 1.24 WHIP in 320 appearances, all but 5 as starts.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #47
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Preseason

January 30th, 1904: Today marks the start of the preseason, as well as the annual affiliation shuffle. Here are the changes made this season:

Keyser Kernels (Class C Virginia League): Detroit to Baltimore

Salt Lake City Earthquakes (Class C Western League): Baltimore to Detroit

Houston Generals (Class D Sun Belt League): From Buffalo to the Cleveland

Tampa Hammerheads (Class D Florida State League): From Cleveland to New Orleans

Sanford Sabres (Class D Northeastern League): From New Orleans to Buffalo

The way I do it is starting with Class D, I selected a UBL team and then search for a team at this level (if applicable) that isn't really geographically close to them. I then look to rotate that team to a different affiliate that is closer. Now for the team that lost the affiliate, if the team is geographically close, they will become the new owner. If not, the process starts over and I look to find a closer league before finding a replacement. Unless it is a perfect 1-for-1 swap, I advance to the next level, and start the process over.

So the first team I chose was Buffalo, and Houston is not close to Buffalo. What was closer was Sanford in the Northeastern League, New Orleans' affiliate. New Orleans isn't too close to Houston, so I instead fround them an affiliate in the Florida State League, Tampa from Cleveland. Now, Cleveland isn't that close to Houston, but there weren't really any other close locations for Cleveland, so they were stuck with Houston.

Same thing happened when I lost Keyser. Since it's much closer to Baltimore then Detroit, they got them and I was stuck with Salt Lake City, since there weren't many close options. Luckily, it's a rather low level and my other Class C affiliate is Bay City, which is in Michigan, and makes travel up the system easy enough at the upper levels.

I stuck with the Salt Lake City coaching staff.

January 31st, 1904: Big news as despite missing all of this season recovering for a torn labrum, Carlos Sandate signed a massive 7-year, $2,720 per year deal with the final season a 135 game vesting option. Before this year, he never had less then 144 in a full season. In his impressive 9 year career, he owns a .284/.380/.570 line with 339 homers, 951 RBI's, and 222 stolen bases.

Since the Cardinals suck, their first was protected. Instead, I'd recieve their 2nd Round Pick, which is 2nd in the round. I also recieved another supplemental pick, so I have the 3rd, 5th, and 6th pick in the 7 pick round.

Pittsburgh acquired RHP John Cosby from the Cleveland Cyclones for LF Bob Costigan and LF Walt Van Vranken.

Cosby, 25, is a duarble righty who's spent time in the pen and rotation in parts of three big league seasons. Origionally the 18th Overall Pick in the 1897 draft, he's 15-16 with a 3.51 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, and 221 strikeouts in 65 games (40 starts).

Costigan, 25, is probably the most talented of the return, a 3* left fielder. He's a plus defender which decent foot speed, plus-plus contact, and plus power. Selected by St. Louis 20th Overall in the 1897 draft, he debuted with Pittsburgh in 1901, and ohas played in each of the last three seasons. He owns a .284/.335/.453 lines with 39 homers and 157 RBI's in 298 games.

Van Vranken, 22, isn't too special, but he's an absolute monster on the base paths. He's a solid left fielder, although you can't really trust him in center. Very light hitter who was a 7th Round Pick in 1900. He hasn't gone higher the Class C.

February 7th, 1904: I sent 1B Kab-shik Min to the New Orleans Cajusn for 2B Juan Villanueva, thus freeing up a spot on my 40-Man Roster.

Villanueva, 23, is rated a 1.5/3* with an elite eye at the plate. He's a durable and dependable defender who hits his share of doubles and can occasionally surprise you with home run power. He struggled a little in Class A Atlanta, but I'd likely invite him to big league camp during Spring Training.

February 14th, 1904: Emptied another spot, sending RHP Juan de Loera to the Pittsbirgh Pilots for RHP Gavin Freeman. de Loera was likely not to make the pen as his ratings have taken a hit.

Freeman, 23, was an 8th Round Pick of Pittsburgh's in 1900. Rated a 1.5/4*, the righty has plus stamina, but is more of a long reliever then a starter. He's got an elite slider and a plus fastball that sits in the 92-94 MPH range. His change, however, is poor, and he was exposed when they tried to start him in 1901. He's pitched a little in Class B, but I'd likely have in Salt Lake City to start the year.

February 16th, 1904: Took a gamble on the Free Agent market, signing RHP Eric Thomas to a 3-year, $1,200 per year deal, although the second two are team options. Thomas, who's pitched mainly for Brooklyn and then a season in Cincinnati, was the 6th Overall Pick out of Texas in 1892. He's fought injuries his whole career, but his 4.80 ERA and 1.38 WHIP are respectable numbers. He has 1,259 strikeouts in 1,601.2 innings and is 83-96. He's rated a 3* with 100 stamina and can eat up a ton of innings. He's a hard worker and positive influence in the clubhouse.

The rest of the spring was quiet, and we'd start Spring Training on the extra leap year day February 29th!
Old 04-06-2019, 12:06 AM   #48
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Spring Training

February 29th, 1904: We have an extra day this year, and it just happens to be the first day of Spring Training. I invited 21 players to big league camp to fill up all 60 spots.

March 2nd, 1904: Dave Pater will head to the DL with an elbow strain. He's probably going to be healthy before the month ends, but he doesn't really have a chance to make the team.

March 5th, 1904: Giobbe Capuana will hit the DL for about 2 weeks with a strained back. I'm going to give Camargo some reps at first.

March 7th, 1904: Another minor injury as Joe Stoner will miss about 2 weeks with back tightness.

March 9th, 1904: Philadelphia inked up superstar CF Jon Alvarado to a 6-year, $4,000 per year deal with the final season a 550 plate appearence vesting option. There's no questioning his talent, as Alvarado might be the best two-way player in the UBL, an elite hitter, baserunner, and defender. A 7-Time Gold Glover, the 31-year-old has a .307/.398/.588 career line with 354 homers, 960 RBI's, and 161 steals in 4,821 at bats and he's complie an impressive 64.3 WAR.

March 16th, 1904: Giobbe Capuana returned to the active roster.

March 18th, 1904: Stoner returned today.

March 19th, 1904: Tobias Laranjeira will hopefully just spend the minimum on the DL with a strained oblique.

March 21st, 1903: The Buffalo Calvary signed RHP Dan Haire to a 1-year, $2,180 contract. He has a 4.51 ERA and 1.28 WHIP with 305 strikeouts in 347 innings out of the pen with the Red Hawks.

March 30th, 1904: Laranjeira and Pater will rejoin the team for the last two spring games.

April 1st, 1904: I started to make the final cuts as the spring games were over and regular season games begin on the 4th. We had an impressive spring, finishing 21-9, just one behind the 22-8 Rebels. Here's what are Opening Day 26-Man Roster looks like:

SP Cody Hall (2.5/2.5)
SP Nate McCue (3/3)
SP Matt Puckett (3/3)
SP D.J. Ruhnke (4/4)
SP Eric Thomas (3/3)
RP Simon Ellingson (3.5/3.5)
RP Josh Fisher (3/3.5)
RP Ben Follmar (3/3)
RP Toshiya Hayashi (4/4)
RP Juan Londono (4.5/4.5)
RP Matt Macias (3/3)
RP Rhett Wigmore (2.5/3.5)
CL Tobias Laranheira (5/5)
C Omar Attilio (2/2)
C Jeremy Ball (3/3)
1B Giobbe Capuana (3.5/3.5)
2B Mike Legg (2.5/2.5)
2B Andy Palme (3/3)
3B Jesus Camargo (4/4)
SS Pete McCoy (2/3)
SS Damian Salcido (5/5)
LF Justin Arrington (4/4)
LF Jorge Rancier (2/2)
CF Jesse Chesley (2.5/2.5)
RF Mike Koski (3/3)
RF Josh Stevens (3/3)

Ideally, I find a pair of utility infielders to give Legg and McCoy every day at bats in Grand Rapids, but I'm comfortable with keeping the roster as is. I think we'll be back in the playoffs next year!
Old 04-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #49
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

April 4th-April 10th

April 4th, 1904: Happy Opening Day! Fresh of their first playoff appearance, the Detroit Chargers are ready for their first title appearance (and hopefully win)!

The preseason predictions predict us to repeat as Wild Card Winners with a near identical 93-69 record, which would leave us 13 games behind the Lightning. Damian Salcido is a projected top hitter and D.J. Ruhnke and Nate McCue are projected hitters. Wouldn't read too much into this, since the game thought Carlos Ramirez would be good...

Baltimore has this year's #1 prospect, RF Enrique Abdala. Rated a 4* potential by my scout and 5* by OSA, he's a consensus future star. He's a former 5th Round pick in 1900, but has easily outperformed all expectations. He's an elite defender in right with elite power and a plus-plus eye. He's a decent runner who makes enough contact to limit strikeouts.

Our system ranks 11th, although we have a pair of top 25 prospects, SP Jorge Montalvo (10) and RF Jonathan Simmons (22) who should both make their debuts this season. Our #3 CF James Rose is ranked 76th. We do have a ton of guys in the 100-190 range, with 2B Gus Abeyta (112), 2B Juan Villannueva (116), CF Simone Hecknell (117), SP Mark Gibson (126), LF Alex Nagel (149), SP Andrew Thomson (154th), CL George Fitzimons (181), SP Joe Stoner (188), and SS Pete McCoy (193). So while we don't have much high end talent, although Fizimons is an elite relif prospect, there is a lot of depth in the system.

We start the season hosting the New Orleans Cajuns. They have Jaime Bottorff set to make the opening day start against D.J. Ruhkne, and would then follow Bottorff with Lance Peterson, Bill Rivera, and Steve Hudson. Our lineup was as followed:

CF Jesse Chesley
2B Andy Palme
LF Justin Arrington
1B Giobbe Capuana
RF Mike Koski
SS Damian Salcido
C Jeremy Bell
3B Jesus Camargo
P D.J. Ruhnke

Yeah, I thought the lineup was a little funky, but I have trust in manager Brett Hunter, as he did manage us to the playoffs last season. We're also on paper way better, so we should have a nice start to the season!

Ruhnke looked sharp, and we won a close one 4-3 to start the season on a high note.

The former #1 overall pick tossed 8 innings with 5 hits, 3 runs, a walk, and an impressive 14 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira earned the save, a hit and walk despite striking out the side in the 9th.

Giobbe Capuana was 3-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Mike Koski was 1-for-4 with a two run homer in his Charger debut. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a double in his debut while Andy Palme was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored in his.

April 5th, 1904: We looked to turn one win into two, with the Cajuns' Opening Day Starter last season Nate McCue taking on former 19th Round Pick Lance Peterson, who's making his first big league start. The 27-year-old lefty had a few pen appearances last season, but actually looks like he could be a decent innings eater. He pitched a great game, and the Cajuns got their first win of the season, 6-2.

McCue went 6 with 6 hits, 5 runs (2 earned...), a walk, and 9 strikeouts. Simon Ellingson allowed a hit, run, and 2 walks with a strikeout in 2.1 innings.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with 2 RBI's. Josh Stevens was 2-for-4. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a double.

Baltimore's Dan Bishop tossed a 4-hit shutout in a 3-0 win over the Pilots. Lightning SP Bobby Brosius tossed a 4-hit shutout of his own in a 2-0 win over the Cardinals.

April 6th, 1904: Matt Puckett made his Chargers debut against Bill Rivera as we looked to get back in the win column. It left a lot to be desired, and we were hammered 11-2.

Puckett went 6 with 8 hits, 7 runs, a walk, and 7 strikeouts. Josh Fisher was roughed up for 4 runs off 5 hits with 4 walks and a strikeout in 3 innings of mop up.

Justin Arrington was 2-for-3 with a walk, run scored, and RBI. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-5 with a run scored. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-5, but with a double.

April 7th, 1904: The Baseball Gods probably saved us, raining out today's game so we don't get embarrassed in the finale. Instead of playing, we'll now head to St. Louis for a three game series with the Lightning, who started the season 2-1. Slated to start are Eddie Long, Matt Nesgoda, and reigning Jeff Russell Pitcher of the Year winner Jim McNiff (1-0, 2.19 ERA).

April 8th, 1904: Eric Thomas toed the rubber for the first time in a Chargers uniform against the southpaw Eddie Long. The Lightning got 4 big runs in the 7th, and while we made a valiant effort in the 9th, we were just a little short in a 5-4 loss.

Thomas went 7 with 8 hits, 5 runs (3 earned...), 2 strikeouts, and 7 walks.

Jesse Chesley was 3-for-4 with a double and 2 runs scored. Jeremy Ball was 1-for-2 with 2 walks, a double, and run scored. Arrington was 1-for-3 with a hit by pitch and RBI.

Former Charger Brett Olsen hit his 400th career homer as the Red Hawks still fell to the Mustangs 4-3. The 35-year-old owns an impressive .295/.375/.552 line with 1,178 RBI's in 6,252 career at bats.

April 9th, 1904: Both teams went to their aces today, with an impressive southpaw matchup in D.J. Ruhnke (1-0, 3.38 ERA, 0.75 WHIP) and Jim McNiff (1-0, 1.29 ERA, 0.43 WHIP). We took advantage of a four run inning this time, putting up 4 in the 6th en route to a 5-3 victory.

A pair of big names left this one early, LF Justin Arrington and the Lightning ace McNiff...

Don't envy them one bit...

Ruhnke went 8 with 11 hits, 3 runs, a walk, and 6 strikeouts. Laranjeira earned the save, a hit and strikeout in the 9th.

Giobbe Capuana came to life, 2-for-4 with a solo homer and grand slam. Chesley was 1-for-4 with a run scored and his 4th double on the year.

Cajuns lefty Jaime Bottorff tossed a 7-hit shutout in an 8-0 win over the Cardinals.

April 10th, 1904: We looked to take the rubber match with Nate McCue (0-1, 3.00 ERA, 1.17 WHIP) facing Bobby Brosius (1-0, 0.00 ERA, 0.56 WHIP). We had the first extra inning game on the season, with the game tied at 1 after 9. In the 10th, Damian Salcido took Mike Wilson deep, and we held off the Lightning to take the series.

So we lose the Cajun series at home, but win the Lightning series on the road?

Where were these wins in the playoffs last year...

McCue was dominant, actually recording the win since he went 9 with 5 hits, a run, 2 walks, and 7 strikeouts. Tobias Laranheira got the save, striking out 2 in the 10th.

Borsius actually broke the Lightning single game strikeout record with 16 in his 8 innings of work. In a masterful performance, he allowed just 4 hits and a single run.

Salcido was just 1-for-4, but with the big homer. Mike Koski was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. McCue was 1-for-2 with a sac-bunt.

We'll head back home to face the New York Rebels who have started the season 3-4. They're projected to use Erik Pike (0-0, 2.00 ERA), Chris Brown (1-0, 7.27 ERA), Allan Sain (0-0, 5.14 ERA), and Kevin Miller (0-2, 7.80 ERA).
Old 04-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #50
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

April 11th-April 17th

April 11th, 1904: Good news on the injury front as Justin Arrington is just day-to-day with a shoulder strain. I'd see how he plays today, but then I'd likely give him a few more days off.

Milwaukee CF Brad Marino and Brooklyn C Felipe Navarro were named Players of the Week.

The first Power Rankings of the year have us 6th. At 3-3, we're 2.5 games behind the Mustangs.

The Rebels are in town with Erik Pike (0-0, 2.00 ERA, 1.00 WHIP) facing Matt Puckett (0-1, 10.50 ERA, 1.50 WHIP) who will hopefully turn things around. It was much better then his first start, but we still fell short in a 6-4 defeat.

Puckett went 6 with 6 hits, 4 runs, 4 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Ellingson and Londono both allowed 2 hits, a run, and a walk in an inning a piece, although Ellingson picked up a strikeout.

Arrington was 1-for-2 with 2 walks, a double, run scored, and another hit by pitch, so I'd make sure he sits till he's 100%. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-4 with a run scored. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with 2 RBI's.

April 12th, 1904: Cody Hall was set to make his first start of the season against Chris Brown (1-0, 7.27 ERA, 1.73 WHIP), who the Rebels added through Free Agency. We saw him last year in Washington before he was traded to Baltimore, and I even offered him a deal before settling on Puckett. Hall looked great, and we evened the series with a 5-2 win.

Cody went 7 with 4 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Londono picked up a hold with a strikeout and hit in the 8th. Laranjeira struck out 1 in a perfect 9th for his 4th save in as many attempts.

Damian Salcido, who was struggling until today, went 4-for-4 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI's to raise his average to .200. Josh Stevens was 1-for-3 with a walk and two run homer. Jorge Rancier was 1-for-2 with a walk and run scored. Hall was 1-for-2 with a sac-bunt.

April 13th, 1904: The third of four saw Eric Thomas (0-1, 3.86 ERA, 2.14 WHIP) take on Allan Sain (0-0, 5.14 ERA, 1.86 WHIP). Thomas was brilliant, and we shut out the Rebels 2-0 and would look to take the series tomorrow!

Thomas went the distance, tossing an impressive 4-hit shutout with a walk and 7 strikeouts.

Jeremy Bell was 2-for-4 with a pair of runs driven in. Jorge Rancier was 2-for-4 with a triple. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a double.

April 14th, 1904: We looked to extend our win streak to three with a high octane pitching match of D.J. Ruhkne (2-0, 3.38 ERA, 1.13 WHIP) and the now healthy Kevin Miller (0-2, 7.80 ERA, 1.53 WHIP) who is still showing a little rust. The rust was lifted today, as neither team managed a run through the first 8 innings. In the 9th, Manny Cardenas doubled home two off Tobias Laranjeira, and the Rebels finished us off in the bottom half for a 2-0 win.

Miller went the distance, a 4-hitter with 6 walks and 10 strikeouts.

Ruhnke was even better, 8 shutout innings with 4 hits, 2 walks, and 11 strikeouts. Laranjeira allowed 2 hits, 2 runs, and a walk in the 9th.

Jeremy Bell was 2-for-3 with a walk and 2 doubles. Arrington was 1-for-2 with a pair of walks. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a triple.

We weren't the only shutout, as Mustangs righty Yeong-shin Kim tossed an 8-hit shutout in a 7-0 win over the Cajuns. Milwaukee is an impressive 9-1, with a 3.5 game lead over New Orleans and St. Louis and 4 games ahead of us.

We'd stay home for a three game set with the Wildcats, who sit at 4-5. We'd face Marcos Hernandez (0-1, 4.20 ERA), former Charger Juan Brajas (1-0, 2.25 ERA), and Tim Allday (0-1, 10.80 ERA).

April 15th, 1904: The Wildcats were in town for the first time this season, with ace Marcos Hernandez (0-1, 4.20 ERA, 1.47 WHIP) taking on Nate McCue (1-1, 1.80 ERA, 0.93 WHIP) who bumped back up to a 3.5*. I wouldn't be surprised if it fell back down to 3, but with a late inning rally, we took the opener 7-6!

McCue looked shaky, 9 hits and 6 runs with just 3 strikeouts in 6 innings. Ellingson got the win, allowing just 1 hit with 2 strikeouts in 2 innings. Laranjeira got the save, getting a walk and strikeout in the 9th.

Jesse Chesley was 2-for-3 with 2 runs, 3 RBI's 2 walks, and a homer. Mike Koski was 3-for-4 with a solo shot. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a three run homer. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.

April 16th, 1904: We looked to take the series a day early as the Wildcats skipped Barajas in favor of Tim Allday (0-1, 10.80 ERA, 2.30 WHIP). He'd face Matt Puckett (0-2, 8.25 ERA, 1.58 WHIP). Runs were scored all game, but a huge 9 run 6th proved to be the difference in our 13-9 win.

Let's go for the sweep!

Puck didn't look too good, 5 innings with 8 huts, 6 runs, 2 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Ellingson picked up the win, allowing 2 hits and a run with 2 strikeouts in an inning of work. Josh Fisher allowed 2 runs with a hit and 2 walks in an inning. Londono picked up a 2 inning save, with a hit and 3 strikeouts to close the game.

Andy Palme was 2-for-4 with a double, walk, homer, and 5 RBI's, his first 5 of the season as his average improved to an impressive .139... Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with a walk, 2 runs, his first homer of the year, and 3 RBI's. Damian Salcido was 2-for-5 with a run scored and driven in. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-5 with 2 runs, 2 RBI's, and a double. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a walk, 2 runs, 2 RBI's, and a homer. Omar Atillio was 1-for-4 with a walk and run scored. Josh Stevens was 1-for-2 with a double, 2 runs, and 3 walks.

Cleveland SS Israel Parra hit for the cycle in a 6-1 win over the Buffalo Calvary.

Former Charger RF Eric Creel hit his 300th career homer. The Chicago Cardinal is having a great start to the season, hitting .395/.458/.744 with 3 homers and 5 RBI's in 12 games. In his career, the former 3rd Overall Pick has a career .304/.380/.576 batting line with 819 RBI's in 1,156 big league games, although he hasn't hit over .300 in a season since 1899.

April 17th, 1904: We looked to finish off the sweep with Cody Hall (1-0, 2.57 ERA, 1.00 WHIP) facing 26-year-old Willis Salinas (1-1, 3.95 ERA, 1.24 WHIP), so we will not see our former pitcher Juan Barajas. All the offense was gone today, as we were topped 2-1 as the Wildcats avoided the sweep.

Hall went 7 with 4 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Londono and Laranjeira both got a strikeout in perfect frames.

Damian Salcido was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-3 with 2 walks and a run scored. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4.

We finish out our nice home stand with three against the first place Mustangs. Milwaukee is 12-1, and 5 games ahead of us. We'd see Derrick Fullerton (1-1, 7.11 ERA), Yeong-shin Kim (3-0, 4.09 ERA), and Sean Donald (3-0, 3.24 ERA).

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 04-08-2019 at 02:13 PM.
ayaghmour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #51
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

April 18th-April 24th

April 18th, 1904: Milwaukee 1B Al Birkbeck and Pittsburgh LF Nick Hemann were named Players of the Week.

Down in the Midwest League, our farmhand CF Justin MacFarland was named Player of the Week. With St. Joseph, he hit .700 (14-for-20) with 2 homers and 9 RBI's.

Now 7-6, we dropped to 8th in the Power Rankings. Milwaukee, today's opponent, who holds a 5 game lead over us, is in 1st.

They've only lost one all year, and it was with Derrick Fullerton (1-1, 7.11 ERA, 1.66 WHIP) who would face Eric Thomas (1-1, 1.69 ERA, 1.25 WHIP) in the opener. Up 5-4 in the 9th, the reigning player of the week Al Birkbeck spoiled our night, driving in 2 on a single off Tobias Laranjeira, causing us to drop the opener 6-5...

Thomas went 8 with 5 hits, 4 runs, 4 walks, and 11 strikeouts. Laranjeira allowed 2 runs with 2 walks, a hit, and strikeout.

Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with 2 runs, a walk, and a three run homer, but he grounded into a double play to end the game. Jesse Chesley was 2-for-4 with a walk. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Mike Koski was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored.

April 19th, 1904: We looked to bounce back and stop our little skid with D.J. Ruhnke (2-0, 2.25 ERA, 1.00 WHIP) facing Yeong-shin Kim (3-0, 4.09 ERA, 1.32 WHIP). Ruhnke was untouchable, and we shut them out 2-0.

Ruhnke allowed just 3 hits and struck out 9 in a masterpiece.

Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Jorge Rancier was 2-for-3 with a run scored. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a solo homer.

April 20th, 1904: The rubber match saw Nate McCue (1-1, 3.86 ERA, 1.10 WHIP) facing Sean Donald (3-0, 3.24 ERA, 1.16 WHIP). We piled on the runs, and battled back to take the series with an 11-4 win!

McCue went the distance, 9 innings with 7 htis, 4 runs, 2 walks, and 6 strikeouts. He was also 1-for-3 with a sac-bunt and RBI.

Mike Legg was a perfect 4-for-4 with 4 runs, 2 RBI's, and his first homer of the season. Jesse Chesley was 3-for-5 with a run scored, double, steal, and 3 RBI's. Andy Palme was 3-for-4 with a steal, run scored, hit by pitch, and RBI. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-3 with 2 walks and 3 runs scored.

We get tomorrow off, and will head to Cincinnati for a three game series with the Red Hawks!

April 21st, 1904: A rather uneventful off day as we headed over to Cincy. We'd see Mike Gardenhire (1-0, 5.06 ERA), Humberto Gonzalez (1-1, 5.50 ERA), and Nab-shik Kim (2-1, 2.00 ERA). The Red Hawks have started the year 7-8, and sit 5.5 out of first.

April 22nd, 1904: Longtime Red Hawk Matt Puckett (0-2, 9.00 ERA, 1.71 WHIP) was on for the first time against his former team. The Red Hawks fans gave him an ovation when he was announced, and they played him a nice tribute video. He'd face Mike Gardenhire (1-0, 5.06 ERA, 1.63 WHIP), his former teammate. It was probably his best start of the year, and we managed to edge the Red Hawks 5-4.

Puck went 5 with 7 hits, 4 runs (2 earned...), 3 walks, and 9 strikeouts. Simon Ellingson picked up his 3rd win, 2 innings with a hit and 2 strikeouts. Juan Londono picked up a hold and Tobias Laranjeira picked up the save.

Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a walk and two run homer. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a walk and solo homer. Damian Salcido was 1-for-5 with a solo homer. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-4 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Andy Palme was 2-for-4.

St. Louis' Bobby Brosius tossed a 2-hit shutout in a 7-0 win over the Mustangs.

April 23rd, 1904: Another former Red Hawk, Eric Thomas (1-1, 2.63 ERA, 1.21 WHIP) got the start against Humberto Gonzalez (1-1, 5.50 ERA, 1.56 WHIP) who they added in the offseason on a 2-year deal. Thomas spent just one year in Cincinnati, so of course, no video montage. We couldn't score until the 9th, and by then it was too late, and we lost this one 5-2.

Thomas went 8 with 8 hits, 5 runs, a walk, and 5 strikeouts.

Jesus Camargo was 3-for-4 with a double. Mike Legg was 2-for-4 with a two run homer. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a double and walk. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

April 24th, 1904: We looked to pick up another series win with D.J. Ruhnke (3-0, 1.64 ERA, 0.82 WHIP) taking on Nab-shik Kim (2-1, 2.0 ERA, 1.28 WHIP) in a battle of southpaws who have started the season really well. We managed to rough up Kim, and take the finale 7-3.

Ruhnke went the distance, which has been the trend this year for our staff, just 6 hits, 3 runs, a walk, and 9 strikeouts in his outing.

Giobbe Capuana was 3-for-4 with 3 runs, a walk, and 2 solo homers. Andy Palme was 3-for-5 with a triple and run scored. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-5 with an RBI. Mike Koski was 1-for-4 with a walk, homer, and 3 RBI's.

So here's a fun series: we're headed back home to face New Orleans for a five game series.

Yes, five games...

It was as scheduled four game series, but with the early rain out, they'll have us replay the game tomorrow. So we have a double header to start a four game series, then three hosting the Cardinals, four in Washington, three in New York, and then back home for three against the Red Hawks before our next off day, May 12th.

This is going to be crazy...

I'm also not even going to guess who's going to pitch for them, but my "plan" is to let Cody Hall and Nate McCue pitch the double header, and then have Rhett Wigmore make a spot start the day after. Josh Fisher is an option too, but I don't want to commit and cripple the bullpen (although they've been scarcely used) if either is needed in the double header.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #52
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

April 25th-May 1st

April 25th, 1904: Nothing better then a double header to start a crazy five game series when you don't have another off day for what seems like an eternity!

But before that, Wildcats SS Manuel Contreras and Brooklyn 1B Lyle Raymond were the Players of the Week.

We checked in one spot higher at 7th in the Power Rankings. 11-8, we sit 3 games out of first and just 1 out of second.

Game 1 of 2 saw Nate McCue (2-1, 3.90 ERA, 1.07 WHIP) take on Lance Peterson (2-2, 7.77 ERA, 1.55 WHIP) in a game we really should win handily. Of course, Peterson beat us earlier in the year while McCue lost, so who really knows what could happen...

What did happen, of course, was a pitiful performance on our half, and we were topped 6-1, with every run except one in the last two innings.

McCue went 8 with 7 hits, 3 runs, 3 walks, and 10 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira still hasn't looked the same, allowing 3 hits and 3 runs with a walk and strikeout in the 9th.

Andy Palme was 2-for-4 with a run scored. Josh Stevens was 1-for-3 with a walk and RBI. McCue was 1-for-2 with a walk. Damian Salcido was 1-for-3 with a walk.

No rest for the wicked, however, as Cody Hall (1-1, 2.57 ERA, 0.93 WHIP) took the second game against Ignacio Mosqueda (0-1, 9.64 ERA, 2.14 WHIP). Another game we "should" win, but instead decided to lose 6-3...

This is going to be fun...

Andy Palme left with an oblique strain, and would hit the DL for the minimum.

Hall went 5 with 8 hits, 6 runs, and 4 strikeouts. Josh Fisher allwoed a hit and got a strikeout in 2 innings, so he wouldn't start tomorrow. Matt Macias went 2 with a hit, 2 walks, and 3 strikeouts.

Salcido was 2-for-5. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-4 with an RBI.

Philadelphia's Alpo Vaarakallio tossed a 3-hit shutout in a 1-0 win over Boston. Cincinnati's Carson Reffitt allowed 6 hits in a 13-0 shutout over the Wildcats.

April 26th, 1904: Since he had the luxury of being on the 40-Man Roster, Bobby Smarsh will head up from Grand Rapids. He's hitting .357/.438/.429 with 4 RBI's, albeit in 14 at bats.

Rhett Wigmore would make his first career start against Bill Rivera (0-3, 10.80 ERA, 2.35 WHIP). I didn't expect to win this game, because the Cajuns just dominate us for some reason. After this 8-4 loss, 5 of their 9 victories have came against us...

Wigmore allowed 7 runs off 7 hits with 4 walks and a strikeout in 4 innings. Fisher went 2 with a hit, run, and 3 strikeouts.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-3 with 2 walks and a run scored. Damian Salcido was 2-for-5 with a solo homer. Justin Arrington was 1-for-5 with a two run homer. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a walk and run scored.

---------------------------------------------

I never do this, but I stopped in the middle of a "write up" to continue later. Usually I play all the games I "set aside" but with being super angry at the game and being super hungry, I thought this was a perfect time to put the game away...

Okay, after a real life break involving a delicious dinner, a flag football win, and some real life baseball watching, I was ready to come back to my imaginary reality.

Let's just see if the players were too...

----------------------------------------------

April 27th, 1904: We looked to snap our huge drought against the Cajuns with Matt Puckett (0-2, 7.77 ERA, 1.77 WHIP) attempting to not suck against Steve Hudson (2-1, 5.40 ERA, 1.35 WHIP). Bobby Smarsh was in the lineup and would make his season debut. I think he may be the key to victory, as we absolutely demolished the ball, getting 16 hits ina 13-4 win.

I think it's more hits then the first three games...

Puckett wasn't terrible, 8 innings with 7 hits, 4 runs, and 10 strikeouts. Josh Fisher struck out 2 and allowed a hit in the 9th.

Giobbe Capuana was a perfect 3-for-3 with 4 runs, 3 RBI's, 2 walks, and 2 solo shots. Jesus Camargo was 3-for-5 with 2 runs and 3 driven in. Mike Koski was 3-for-5 with 2 doubles, a run scored, and RBI. Damian Salcido was 2-for-4 with 2 doubles, a run scored, and one driven in. Smarsh was 2-for-3 with a double, 2 walks, and 2 runs scored. Josh Stevens launched a pinch-hit grand slam in the 8th.

That one felt good!

April 28th, 1904: Tough news for the 35-year-old RHP Kjeld Schwartz, who's career ended not by choice, but because of a torn rotator cuff. The Dutch native has been a solid pen guy, working 621 innings between 1891-1904 with Baltimore, St. Louis, New York, Buffalo, Milwaukee, and New York again. He has a 3.59 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, 639 strikeouts, and 196 saves. He threw just 1 inning in two games, allowing 2 hits and a walk with a single strikeout for the Rebels.

We looked to salvage the finale with Eric Thomas (1-2, 3.38 ERA, 1.19 WHIP) going against Jaime Bottorff (1-2, 4.28 ERA, 1.54 WHIP). In a tight game wire-to-wire, we managed to hold off the Cajuns, and escaped with a 4-3 win in the finale.

Thomas went 8 with 8 hits, 3 runs, and 4 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira earned the save, allowing just a hit in a scoreless 9th.

Thomas was also our best hitter, going 2-for-3 with a double, solo homer, and 2 runs scored. Damain Salcido was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.

The tired team did not have to travel, as we'd welcome the Chicago Cardinals to town for a three game series. At just 3-19, they are bound to come in to town and absolutely dominate us. We'd face Chris Overson (0-0, 0.96 ERA), Orlando Vigil (0-2, 5.76 ERA), and Bobby Goldberg (0-5, 6.57 ERA).

April 29th, 1904: The 29-year-old Rookie Chris Overson (0-0, 0.96 ERA, 0.86 ERA) made his first big league start against D.J. Ruhnke (4-0, 1.93 ERA, 0.81 WHIP). Overson has just 10 big league innings under his belt, which is disappointing for the former 2nd Round selection of Brooklyn in 1893. Thankfully, we managed to escape with a 5-4 win in the opener.

Ruhnke had his worst start of the season, but still came with the win after an 8 inning, 6 hits, 4 runs, 3 walk, and 11 strikeouts performance. Laranjeira tossed a perfect 9th with 2 strikeouts.

Jorge Rancier had a great game, 3-for-3 with a walk and solo homer. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-3 with a solo homer and 2 runs scored. Jeremy Bell was 2-for-4 with a two run double. Josh Stevens was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.

April 30th, 1904: And just like that, we looked to stretch our three game win streak to four, with Nate McCue (2-2, 3.79 ERA, 1.11 WHIP) taking on the 23-year-old Orlando Vigil (0-2, 5.76 ERA, 1.56 WHIP). He did not looked phased, and the game was tied at just 2 after 9. Mike Leach hit a solo homer off Laranjeira in the top of the 10th to give the Cards a 3-2 lead. We had a chance to score, but Carl Firestone got Jeremy Bell to ground into a game ending play, and the Cardinals picked up just their 4th win of the year.

McCue looked good, 8 strong innings with just 4 hits, 2 runs, and 6 strikeouts. Laranjeira pitched an inning plus, allowing 3 hits, a run, walk, and strikeout.

Josh Stevens and Damian Salcido were both 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-3 with a walk.

May 1st, 1904: Happy May! After just a 14-12 April, I'm hoping for a much better May!

Milwaukee 1B Al Birkbeck and Phialdelphia CF Jon Alvarado were Batters of the Month. Our very own SP D.J. Runke and Phialdelphia SP Alp Vaarakaillio were Pitchers of the Month. New York CF Robun Fujimoto and Philadelphia 1B Gabe Solis were Rookies of the Month.

As expected, Philadelphia is really good, and went 19-6, explaining why they swept the NL awards.

In St. Joseph, CF Justin MacFarland was named Batter of the Month. He hit .515 with 5 homers and 22 RBI's as well as going 9-for-11 in stolen base attempts. A level higher in Grand Rapids, our #2 prospect RF Jonathan Simmons was American League Batter of the Month. The 23-year-old hit .333 with 6 homers and 18 RBI's. He's definitely big league ready, and if Josh Stevens doesn't turn things around, the former 8th overall pick can take his spot.

We really, really, really needed to win this series, with Cody Hall (1-2, 4.74 ERA, 1.11 WHIP) facing the actually talented Travis Edwards (0-3, 3.80 ERA, 1.45 WHIP), a solid, albeit fragile and lowish stamina one. Of course, the team found a way to let it get away, and we somehow lost 7-6...

Hall went 6 with 7 hits, 5 runs (3 earned), and 3 strikeouts. I'd be more mad about the unearned runs, but we scored two off an error as well. Simon Ellingson was tagged with the loss, 3 hits and 2 runs with a walk and 3 strikeouts in 2 innings.

Mike Koski was 3-for-4 with a double, steal, walk, run scored, and RBI. Jeremy Bell was 2-for-5 with a double and 2 RBI's. Jesse Chesley was 2-for-4 with a walk, run, and steal. Mike Legg was 1-for-4 with a walk and run scored.

Well, despite that extremely dissapointing season, we still sit slightly above .500 (14-13) and just 2.5 out of a playoff spot. Off to Washington for four with the Wildcats. Expect to see Willis Salinas (3-1, 2.70 ERA), former Charger Juan Barajas (1-1, 4.50 ERA), Jose Gonzalez (1-0, 2.23 ERA), and the struggling Marcos Hernandez (2-3, 6.18 ERA), who's bound to pitch like an ace against us just to spite me. They are also slightly above .500, 13-12 to start the year.

I should also mention that Giobbe Capuana is leading the league with 10 homers and 26 RBI's.

And the Buffalo Calvary have the same amount of wins (2-23) as the Cardinals do against us alone...

Oh yeah, and the Cajuns still only have 9 wins, 5 against us...
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 04-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #53
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

May 2nd-May 8th

May 2nd, 1904: Cincinnati SS Mike Marvel and Cleveladn 1B Willie Sanches were Players of the Week. Marvel is a name that haunts Chargers fans, as the #1 overall pick in 1898 looked like a bust, was waived after just a season and a half, and then has now really cauhgt on at 28, filling our as a 4/4.5* who's hitting .324/.384/.490 with 4 homers, 5 steals, and 16 RBI's to start the season.

Fear not, however, because we have Justin MacFarland in St. Joseph! Another Player of the Week for the 23-year-old, hitting .524 with 2 homers and 9 RBI's. He keeps getting better and better, and may force himself into the long term picture.

Another repeat Player of the Week in the ever promising Jonathan Simmons, who was .619 with 2 homers and 3 RBI's. He's making it really hard to choose Josh Stevens over him, but it's going to be really hard to demote Stevens, who hit .283/.370/.601 (149 OPS+) with 13 homers and 30 RBI's in just 200 plate appearences last year.

We plumetted to 10th in the Power Rankings. At 14-13, we're still 5.5 out of first place.

We started our four game series in Washington with Matt Puckett (1-2, 6.90 ERA, 1.53 WHIP) Facing Willis Salinas (3-1, 2.70 ERA, 1.23 WHIP). Much to my surprise, Puckett was brilliant, and we shut the Wildcats out 5-0!

Puck went 7.1 with 6 hits, 2 walks, and 8 strikeouts, which for him so far, counts as brilliant. Juan Londono finished the game, 1.2 perfect innings with 2 strikeouts.

Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4 with a solo hoemr. Jorge Rancier was 2-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a double, run scored, RBI, and walk. Damain Salcido was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a walk, run scored, and RBI.

St. Louis SP Bobby Brosius tossed a 3-hit shutout in a 16-0 domination of the New York Rebels.

Full disclosure: I tried to shop Josh Stevens around to get a Centerfielder, and the Lightning offered me the injured Jim McNiff. Now, as great as this deal would've been for me, I know that it's extremely unrealistic, and I knew I couldn't accept it. The Lightning actually offered me 4 of their good starters, McNiff, Howard, Long, and Nesgoda, and while the final three wouldn't be a "terrible" trade with all of their SP depth, it's just funny they went as far as offering McNiff. And the worst thing is their RF isn't even that bad...

I ended up swapping Stevens with his whole contract retained, C Alex Arismendi, and SP Juan Rios to the Newark Venom for CF Zack Lawrence and SP Ben Dobson.

Arismendi and Rios are both prospects OSA likes better then my scout.

Lawrence, 27, was a former 2nd Round selection of the Baltimore Titans that was actually traded to Newark in a deal for my current catcher, Jeremy Bell. Between Baltimore and Newark, he owns a .264/.329/.450 line with 75 homers, 84 steals, and 246 RBI's. He's rated a 3* with a well rounded bat, all five ratings between 51-59 (56/51/58/59/57), elite speed, an elite arm, and above average range. He's having a great year, hitting .343/.407/.590 with 6 homers, 10 steals, and 20 RBI's.

Dovson, 24, was the 19th Overall Pick out of USF in 1901 by the Venom. He's got #4 or 5 starter potential with plus-plus stuff. He's in the low 90s with a plus fastball, elite curve, and plus-plus change.

I then optioned Chesley (who I probably overpaid for...) and purchased the contract of Jonathan Simmons from Grand Rapids. He definitely earned the callup, hitting .345/.421/.726 with 8 homers and 22 RBI's in 24 games. Possibly the best hitter in the entire organization, he's got elite contact and gap power skills with plus-plus home run power, eye, and avoid K ability.

May 3rd, 1904: The worst possible thing happened today, as our game was rained out, causing a double header tomorrow. So now, I'll have to use someone as a spot starter for the final game of the series.

May 4th, 1904: Game one of the double header pitted southpaws D.J. Ruhkne (5-0, 2.34 ERA, 0.86 WHIP) and Jose Gonzalez (1-0, 2.23 ERA, 1.18 WHIP) against each other. With a lefty on the mound, the lefty Simmons would be on the bench, as the righty Mike Koski got the start. Zack Lawrence lead off, and was ready for his Chargers debut. We scored 8 runs in the 2nd, and then crusied to a 9-4 win!

Ruhnke went 8 with 7 hits, 4 runs, 3 walks, and 8 strikeouts. Josh Fisher pitched the 9th, allowing a walk and getting a strikeout, again causing himself to avoid starting.

Camargo was 4-for-5 with a run scored and RBI. Justin Arrington was 3-for-5 with a solo homer and 2 runs scored. Lawrence was 2-for-6 with a three run homer in his team debut. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-5 with a solo shot. Mike Legg was 1-for-4 with a walk, run scored, double, and RBI. Ruhnke was 1-for-3 with a run scored, RBI, and sac-bunt.

Philadelphia SP Josh Foster tossed a 1-hit shutout in a 5-0 win over the Hornets.

Game two saw Eric Thomas (2-2, 3.38 ERA, 1.15 WHIP) take on former Charger Juan Barajas (1-1, 4.50 ERA, 1.33 WHIP). The pitching was better on both sides in the second game, but we swept the double header with a 4-2 win!

We can look for the series sweep tomorrow!

Thomas went 8 with 9 hits, 2 runs, 4 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira walked 1 and struck out 2 while earning his 9th save in the 9th.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-3 with 2 walks, a homer, and 4 RBI's. He now has 11 homers and 32 RBI's. Lawrence was 2-for-4 with a walk, 2 runs scored, and a stolen base. Mike Koski was 2-for-5 with a run scored, mainly because I forgot to force Simmons to start anyways.

For sure, the future star will play tomorrow, even if it is against the lefty Marcos Hernandez.

May 5th, 1904: We looked to finish off the four game road sweep with Nate McCue (2-2, 3.52 ERA, 1.00 WHIP) facing Marcos Hernandez (2-3, 6.18 ERA, 1.69 WHIP). Jonathan Simmons will hit 2nd and play right field to make his big league debut. He struck out in his first at bat, but it did allow Zack Lawrence to steal 2nd. Despite finishing 0-for-5 with 3 strikeouts, we finished the sweep with a 7-3 victory.

Downside, Nate McCue left with an elbow strain and will miss 5 weeks. He went just 5 with 4 hits, 2 runs, and 3 strikeouts. Matt Macias allowed a run with 2 hits in the 9th.

Capuana continued his terror, 3-for-4 with a walk, homer, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Jeremy Bell was 3-for-5 with a pair of runs scored. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-5 with a two run blast. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a two run homer.

Before a roster move, my manager wants Josh Fisher to take the empty rotation spot. I'll call up a reliever tomorrow.

Off to New York for three against the 16-12 Rebels. They are 5 out of first, and half a game behind us and Milwaukee for second. We'd see Kevin Miller (2-2, 4.01 ERA), Mike Stebner (3-3, 3.74 ERA), and Erik Pike (3-1, 4.00 ERA).

May 6th, 1904: A few roster moves before we start the Rebels series. Andy Palme was activated from the DL, sending Bobby Smarsh back to Grand Rapids. Pat Peters would join the big league club from Grand Rapids. In 14.1 innings, he has a sparkly 1.26 ERA and 0.70 WHIP with 25 strikeouts and just 2 walks.

The Draft Pool was also revealed, and here's who BNN ranks as their Top 10 (in no particular order) with my scouts and OSA's potential ratings:

1. RHP D.D. Brighton (2/3)
2. LHP Corey Schneider (3/3.5)
3. CF Keith Lovejoy (2.5/4.5): 5th Round Pick of Detroit in 1901
4. 3B Chad Nesbitt (4/4.5): 1st Round Pick of Milwaukee in 1901
5. RF R.J. Mosher (1.5/3): 5th Round Pick of Chicago in 1901
6. LHP Ramon Prado (1.5/3)
7. RHP Preston Deacon (3/3.5): 3rd Round Pick of New Orleans in 1901
8. LHP T.J. Nixon (2/3)
9. RHP Carlos Soto (2/4): 2nd Round Pick of Washington in 1901
10. C Doug Callegari (1.5/3): 4th Round Pick of Milwaukee in 1901

The pool does not look too good in my scouts eyes, with just CL Robby Gonzalez (4.5) and the previously mentioned Chad Nesbitt better then a 3.5*. There are just 6 3* potential players, including one impossible reliever. Beyond that, no one really jumps out as a guy I would love to have as a 1st Round Pick. I'm picking 14th and 15th in the 1st Round, 5th, 7th, and 8th in the Supplemental Round, 2nd, 8th, and 14th in the 2nd Round and 9th and 15th in the 3rd, so I really hope more intense scouting reveals a few more studs.

We opened the Rebels series with spot starter Ben Follmar (0-0, 0.00 ERA, 1.50 WHIP) hopefully giving us maybe 3-4 decent innings against superstar Kevin Miller (2-2, 4.01 ERA, 1.15 WHIP). I wasn't surprised that they scored a ton, but we at least made it close in the 12-8 loss.

Mike Koski left with a strained back, although he won't head to the DL with this moderate DTD injury.

Follmar was fine until the 5th, and then he fell apart. In 5+ he allowed 10 hits and 8 runs with just 1 strikeout. If I was managing, he would've been gone after the 3rd with just 3 runs. Toshiya Hayashi allowed 2 runs, a walk, and hit in 0.1 innings. Matt Macias went 2 with 2 hits, 2 runs, a walk, and 2 strikeouts.

Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4 with 2 runs and a double. Mike Legg was 1-for-4 with 2 runs, 3 RBI's, and a homer. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-1 with 3 walks and a two run homer. Pete McCoy hit a pinch-hit solo shot in the 9th.

New Orleans CF Antonio Mendez was 5-for-7 in a 9-6 win over the Mustangs.

May 6th, 1904: We looked to even the series back up with Matt Puckett (2-2, 5.54 ERA, 1.45 WHIP) looking to build of an excellent start. He'd face the southpaw Mike Stebner (3-3, 3.74 ERA, 1.20 WHIP). Down 6-2 in the 9th, we rallied for 5 runs, and pulled off a crazy comeback win, 7-6.

The recently acquired Zack Lawrence was injured being hit by a pitch... He was one of three batters hit, and finished 1-for-3.

Puckett went 6 with 6 hits, 5 runs, a walk, and 3 strikeouts. Rhett Wigmore got the win, 2 innings with 2 hits, a run, 2 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Laranjeira earned his 10th save, striking out 1 in a perfect 9th.

Damain Salcido was 3-for-4 with a double and two run homer. Andy Palme was 2-for-5 with a run scored in his return to the lineup. Justin Arrington was 2-for-5 with a double. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a walk and two run hoemr. Mike Legg was 1-for-2 with a big two run homer in the 9th. He filled in for Lawrence in center, despite having no outfield experience since a 2.1 inning appearence in 1898 where he was a 19-year-old in Class D. My guess, another injury replacement.

Capuana has now hit a homer in four straight games, and is on pace for 69 homers and 187 RBI's. While unlikely, both would be single season recrod, edging Chris Morris' 68 in 1885 and Victor Rodriguez 180 in 1887.

And to think I wanted to trade him because he was (and is) a terrible defensive third basemen...

May 8th, 1904: We looked to take the rubber match with Cody Hall (1-2, 4.68 ERA, 1.12 WHIP) facing Erik Pike (3-1, 4.00 ERA, 1.09 WHIP). Simmons, who's 0-for-9, will finally face a right handed starting pitcher! It took just 1 at bat against Pike for Simmons to launch his first career homer, a solo shot for his first career hit. Sadly, it was about all the good that happened in the game, and we dropped the finale 9-3...

Hall went 4 with 9 hits, 5 runs, 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Pat Peters allowed 2 runs off 3 hits and a walk in 1.2 innings. Rhett Wigmore allowed 2 hits and 2 runs with a walk in an inning.

SImmons was just 1-for-4 with the homer. Damian Salcido was 1-for-3 with a solo homer and hit by pitch. Jorge Rancier was 1-for-3 with a run scored. Mike Legg had a pinch-hit RBI double in the 5th.

Now half a game behind the Rebels for 2nd, we'd head back home to host the Red Hawks for a three game series before our first scheduled off day in what seems like an eternity. We'd see Mike Rivera (0-2, 5.01 ERA), Nam-shik Kim (3-2, 3.28 ERA), and Carson Reffitt (2-3, 3.67 ERA).
Old 04-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #54
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

May 9th-May 15th

May 9th, 1904: New York RF Armando Chavez and Boston CF Chris Shifley were both named Players of the Week.

Power Rankings bounced us back up to 7th. Now 19-15, we are 4.5 out of first but just half a game out of second.

We finished our long stretch of games hosting the Cinncinati Red Hawks in a three game set. D.J. Ruhkne (6-0, 2.64 ERA, 0.91 WHIP) was on the mound against Nab-shik Kim (3-2, 3.28 ERA, 1.32 WHIP). We had as many hits as they had runs, and we were shut out 3-0.

Ruhnke went the distance, allowing 5 hits, 3 runs, and a walk with 12 strikeouts.

Andy Palme basically "carried" the team, going 2-for-4. Giobbe Capuana was just 1-for-4.

Philadelphia's Josh Foster tossed a 2-hit shutout in a 3-0 win over state rival Pittsburgh.

May 10th, 1904: We look to even the series back up with former Red Hawk Eric Thomas (3-2, 3.19 ERA, 1.23 WHIP) facing the Rookie Mike Rivera (0-2, 5.01 ERA, 1.42 WHIP). The offense couldn't even solve the crappy rookie, and we dropped this one 6-1.

I think we're all tired...

Thomas went 8 with 11 hits, 6 runs, a walk, and 9 strikeouts.

The rookie Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with a double and RBI. Andy Palme was 1-for-3 with a triple, walk, and run scored. Jeremy Bell and Pete McCoy both went 1-for-4.

Cleveland SP Travis Adams tossed a 5-hit shutout in a 1-0 win over Brooklyn. Buffalo SP Jake Doherty tossed a 7-hit shutout in a 5-0 win over their expansion partners, the Newark Venom.

May 11th, 1904: We're likely going to get swept at home, as Josh Fisher (0-0, 6.30 ERA, 1.60 WHIP) is set to make his first start of the season against Carson Reffitt (2-3, 3.67 ERA, 1.46 WHIP). And it's not like the Red Hawks are any better then us anyways...

But by watching the 5-1 loss, you'd think they were a World Series contender...

Fisher went 8 with 7 hits, 4 runs, 2 walks, and 6 strikeouts. Toshiya Hayashi went 1 inning with 2 hits, a run, and strikeout.

Mike Legg was 2-for-5 with a double. Fisher was 1-for-3 with a double. Damian Salcido was 1-for-5, but he hit a solo homer. Capuana was 1-for-3 with a walk. Jorge Rancier was 1-for-2 with 2 walks.

Well, we're off tomorrow!

May 12th, 1904: Zack Lawrence's diagnosis finally came back, as he fractured his foot. He'd miss about 3 weeks, and Jesse Chesley would be recalled back to replace him.

I'm happy we didn't play today, which allowed us to head to New Orleans to prepare for a three game series. The Cajuns are 14-21, but we haven't played them all that well. Ignacio Mosqueda (2-2, 4.18 ERA), Jaime Bottorff (2-4, 3.95 ERA), and Lance Peterson (3-5, 5.92 ERA) were the projected starters.

May 13th, 1904: Matt Puckett (2-2, 5.82 ERA, 1.41 WHIP) opened the series against Jaime Bottorff (2-4, 3.95 ERA, 1.35 WHIP) who jumped ahead in the rotation. We didn't hit well, but Puckett was magnificent, and we shut them out 3-0.

He went 8 with just 2 hits, 2 walks, and 7 strikeouts. Laranjeira earned the save, 2 strikeouts and a hit in the 9th.

Justin Arrington, who's been awful all year, went 2-for-2 with a double, 2 runs, 2 RBI's, 2 walks, and a homer. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-2 with a double and 2 walks. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Puckett was 1-for-2 with a pair of sac-bunts.

Cincinnati SP Humberto Gonzalez tossed a 6-hit shutout in a 7-0 win over Washington.

May 14th, 1904: We looked to take the series a day early with D.J. Ruhkne (6-1, 2.69 ERA, 0.88 WHIP) taking on Ignacio Mosqueda (2-2, 418 ERA, 1.48 WHIP). It was a tight one, but we came up short in a 4-3 loss.

Ruhkne went 8 with 7 hits, 4 runs, 2 walks, and 12 strikeouts.

Andy Palme was 3-for-4 with a double and RBI. Arrington was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

May 15th, 1904: The rubber match saw Erich Thomas (3-3, 3.70 ERA, 1.27 WHIP) face fellow rightly Lance Peterson (3-5, 5.92 ERA, 1.46 WHIP). The bats finally showed up, and we took the series with a 7-4 victroy.

Andy Palme left with a bruised shoulder, but he won't need to head to the DL. He's DTD for 5 days, and with an off day tomorrow, I wasn't really too worried about him being overused.

Thomas went 7.1 innings with 8 hits, 4 runs, 4 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira went 1.2 innings with 2 hits and 2 strikeouts.

Jonathan Simmons was 3-for-5 with a three run homer. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a walk and 2 solo homers. Jesse Chesley was 2-for-5 with a triple and run scored. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a walk and RBI.

We'll be off tomorrow!
Old 04-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #55
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

May 16th-May 22nd

May 16th, 1904: St. Louis RF Julio Montes and Brooklyn CF C.J. Blackburn were named Players of the Week.

We remained 7th in the Power Rankings. Sitting at 21-19, we're 6.5 out of first and 2.5 out of second.

Off to Milwaukee for a quick two game series with the Mustangs. We'd see Alberto Lucero (3-4, 6.32 ERA) and Derrick Fullerton (3-1, 4.60 ERA).

May 17th, 1904: The Newark Venom will be without SP Oscar Garcia for the rest of the season with a torn rotator cuff. He was 2-4 with a 5.23 ERA in 9 starts.

We opened up the quick two game set with Josh Fisher (0-1, 5.50 ERA, 1.39 WHIP) facing Alberto Lucero (3-4, 6.32 ERA, 1.48 WHIP). We piled on the runs, and would look for the mini-sweep after a 7-2 win.

Fisher went the distance with 7 hits, 2 runs, and 6 strikeouts.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-5 with a homer and 3 RBI's. Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with a triple, run scored, walk, and 2 RBI's. Andy Palme was 2-for-4 with 2 runs, a walk, and RBI. Fisher was 1-for-3 with a double, sac-bunt, and 2 runs scored. Jorge Rancier was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored.

May 18th, 1904: We looked to finish off the "sweep" with Matt Puckett (3-2, 4.91 ERA, 1.27 WHIP) taking on Derrick Fullerton (3-1, 4.60 ERA, 1.33 WHIP). Neither team really wanted to win, but we managed to escape with a 1-0 win.

"Win"

Puckett looked sharp, 8 strong with 3 hits, 3 walks, and 8 strikeouts. Tobias Laranheira got the save, getting a strikeout in a perfect 9th.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-5 with a double. Mike Koski was 1-for-3 with a walk. Justin Arrington was 1-for-2 with 3 walks and a run scored. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a double and walk. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-3 with a walk.

We head home to start a four game set with the Lightning, who lead the AL with a 29-11 record. They are 6 above New York and 7 above us. We'd face most of the strong rotation, seeing Jim McNiff (3-0, 2.42 ERA), Eddie Long (5-2, 3.22 ERA), Mike Wilson (2-2, 2.42 ERA), and Matt Nesgoda (5-1, 2.52 ERA).

May 19th, 1904: The first of four with the first place Lightning saw a high powered ace-off between D.J. Ruhnke (6-2, 2.88 ERA, 0.91 WHIP) and Jim McNiff (3-0, 2.42 ERA, 0.81 WHIP). It was tight, but Ruhnke did his job and we held off the Lightning 3-2!

D.J. went 8 with 6 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, and 10 strikeouts. Laranjeira needed just 7 pitched to finish off a perfect ninth en route to his 14th save.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI's. Jesse Chesley was 2-for-4 with a double and run scored. Justin Arrington was 1-for-2 with 2 runs and 2 walks.

Baltimore 1B Jose Molina hit his 300th career homer. The 28-year-old burst on to the scene as a Rokie in 1897, hitting 54 homers with 133 RBI's while easily winning Rookie of the Year. In 1,117 career games he owns a .288/.364/.576 batting line and has hit over 30 homers in every season of his career.

May 20th, 1904: We looked to keep our winning streak going with Eric Thomas (4-3, 3.84 ERA, 1.31 WHIP) facing Eddie Long (5-2, 3.22 ERA, 1.16 WHIP). The Lightning expolded for 17 hits, and evened the series with a 10-6 win.

What's worse is Justin Arrington left with an injury after making a throw in the outfield. And of course, it happens right as he started to heat up...

Thomas was roughed up, 6 innings with 10 hits, 7 runs (6 earned), 4 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Toshiya Hayashi went 2 with 5 hits, 2 runs, a walk, and 2 strikeouts. Ben Follmar allowed 2 hits and a run with a single strikeout in an inning of work.

Mike Koski was 2-for-4 with a double, homer, and 3 RBI's. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a triple and run scored. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4 with a run scored. Damian Salcido was 1-for-5 with a solo homer.

Josh Foster continued his domiante season with another shutout. This time, it was a 1-hitter in a 2-0 win over the Bearcats. He's a perfect 8-0 with a 2.70 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, and 89 strikeouts in 10 starts and 80 innings.

Newark 1B Mario Rabago hit his 500th career homer. The 37-year-old vet spent 1888-1902 with Chicago, before a season in Philly last year and his first season in Newark this year. He's a career .302/.377/.569 hitter with 1,396 RBI's in 2,154 career games. "Meter Man" is likely a first ballot Hall-of-Famer, and even with being a terrible defensive center fielder earlier in his career, he still accumulated 51.1 WAR.

May 21st, 1904: We looked to get back on track with Cody Hall (1-3, 5.59 ERA, 1.38 WHIP) facing Mike Wilson (2-2, 2.42 ERA, 1.03 WHIP). We had a huge 6 run 5th, which proved to be enough in out 8-5 win!

Hall didn't look too good, 5 innings with 5 hits, 5 runs, 4 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Rhett Wigmore and Juan Londono picked up holds while Tobias Laranjeira earned the save.

Damian Salcido was 3-for-4 with a double, run scored, and two driven in. Jorge Rancier was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Omar Atillio was 1-for-3 with a double and 2 RBI's. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Jonathan Simmons was 1-for-3 with 2 runs, a walk, and RBI.

Kevin Miller tossed a 1-hit shutout as the Rebels dominated the Wildcats 8-0.

May 22nd, 1904: Thankfully, all tests came back negative, and Justin Arrington will be good to go today!

The Cardinals got less favorable news, finding out SS Mike Leach will miss the rest of the year with a broken kneecap. The 25-year-old Rookie hit just .211 with 3 homers and 11 RBI's in 28 games.

We had a legitimate chance to take three out of four from the best team in the league, with Josh Fisher (1-1, 4.33 ERA, 1.19 WHIP) going against the crafty knuckleballer Matt Nesgoda (5-1, 2.52 ERA, 1.02 WHIP). It's worth pointing out that 1B Chris Boyd has hit a homer in 7 of 8 games for a total of 8 homers, he's got 22 already and is on pace for 83! He didn't need to hit one today, as the Lightning dismanteled us 7-1.

Fisher went 6.1 innings with 10 hits, 7 runs (4 earned), 4 walks, and 6 strikeouts. Matt Macias tossed 2 solid innings with a walk, hit, and 3 strikeouts.

Jesse Chesley was 2-for-4 with a run scored. Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-4 with a triple.

We're off tomorrow, again, as All-Star voting opens as well!
Old 04-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #56
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

May 23rd-May 29th

May 23rd, 1904: All-Star voting starts today, so the Detroit faithful frantically started to stuff the ballot boxes with their favorite players. It's still early, but really the only guys who deserve it are Ruhnke, Capuana, Camargo, and possible/hopefully Londono. Although as a relief pitcher, a good season can turn to a bad one really quick.

St. Louis 1B Chris Boyd and Philadelphia SS Willie Gonzalez took home Player of the Week.

A different St. Joseph CF James Rose picked up Midwest League Player of the week. He hit .522 with a homer and 8 RBI's.

A level down, RF Mike Heinemann won Player of the Week in the Great Lakes League. The Bay City Ace hit .526 with 5 homers and 11 RBI's in a really impressive week.

Power Rankings have us up to 6. 25-21 is good for third, 7 out of first and 1.5 out of second.

We were off today, and would head to Chicago for three. The Cardinals are 13-29 and 17 games out of first. We'd see Orlando Vigil (1-3, 7.35 ERA), Bobby Goldberg (1-8, 7.74 ERA), and Chris Overson (1-2, 3.77 ERA). I'd say we should sweep them, but we all know what happened last time...

May 24th, 1904: The Freedom signed superstar SS Willie Gonzalez to a 2-year, $3,680 per year extension. The Wrecked 31-year-old is extremely talented, with a career .308/.393/.560 line to go with 295 homers and 876 RBI's. He's fresh off the DL and Player of the Week, appearing in just 5 games this season after suffering a sprained elbow in the last day of spring training.

We opened the Chicago series with D.J. Ruhnke (7-2, 2.82 ERA, 0.92 WHIP), who actually beat the Cardinals, taking on Orlando Vigil (1-3, 7.35 ERA, 1.61 WHIP) who only allowed 2 in 6.1 innings with 4 hits, a walk, and 4 strikeouts. Yes, it was his best start of the season...

Well, that is until today, as the Cardinals absolutely demolished us 10-1...

So yeah, Ruhnke probably isn't an All-Star...

Normally, I would've wanted to throw my computer after a loss like this, but I almost expected it to happen. A win just seemed too good to be true...

Oh yeah, it gets better. Top prospect Jonathan Simmons left with an injury...

*Deep Sigh*

Not sure why Ruhnke labored through 116 pitches, going 5 innings with 12 hits, 10 runs, 4 walks, and 8 strikeouts. Pat Peters went 3 innings with 2 hits and 2 strikeouts.

I'm contemplating a manager change...

Of course Simmons was actually hitting the ball before leaving, going 2-for-3 with a double. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, and RBI.

May 25th, 1904: Today couldn't possibly be worse, as Matt Puckett (4-2, 4.25 ERA, 1.20 WHIP) took on Bobby Goldberg (1-8, 7.74 ERA, 1.59 WHIP). The offense tried hard to be worse, but Puckett bailed us out, and we edged the hosts 2-1.

Puck went 7 with 4 hits, a run, walk, and 6 strikeouts. Juan Londono and Tobias Laranjeira both tossed perfect frames, with the former earning a hold and the latter a save.

Lot's of news around the league: Baltimore SP Sal Lopez tossed a 6-hit shutout in a 7-0 win over Cleveland. New Lightning ace Bobby Brosius tossed a 4-hit shutout in a 5-0 win over New Orleans. But, most impressive was the now .249 hitting 1B Jeremy Stinson going 7-for-7 in a 14 inning 8-7 win over the Milwaukee Mustangs. He hit a go-ahead RBI single to give his team the victory.

I don't think I've really touched on any of my "pre Charger year" acquisitions, but the drafting of Bobby Brosius has to be one of my best picks off All-Time. Taken 16th Overall out of high school, he had closer written all over him. Two elite pitches with a throw away change. And the potentials were there, sitting around 84-63-75, which is crazy good for any pitcher. Then he added a magical 100 curveball three seasons ago, and filled out at 100-73-71. Not only that, an extreme groundballer who can hit triple digits and go really deep into games. The durable lefty will be 26 in July, and owns a 1.83 ERA and 0.80 WHIP with 100 strikeouts and just 16 walks in 78.2 innings.

So yeah, I have myself to thank for the biggest thorn in my side for the near future...

Mike Wilson followed a similar path, although he was a steal in the 5th Round. He just turned 26, and is rated a 83(91)/78/80 and instead of an 100 rated curve, he brought an 85 rated slider.

So in a few years we'll see if their is something in the water they give players in the Lightning organization, or I just have an eye for finding relievers that are going to become stud starters.

May 26th, 1904: We looked to take the rubber match with Eric Thomas (4-4, 4.28 ERA, 1.40 WHIP) battling Chris Overson (1-2, 3.77 ERA, 1.03 WHIP). Thomas wasn't perfect, but he did a great job scattering baserunners, and we shut the Cardinals out 1-0.

So yeah, a ton of offense...

Thomas went the distance, scattering 8 hits and 1 walk while striking out jsut 4.

Damian Salcido was 2-for-4 with 2 doubles, a run scored, and RBI. Mike Legg was 2-for-3 with a walk. Jesse Chesley was 2-for-5 with a double and steal. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-3 with a walk, double, and 2 RBI's.

Off to New York for three with the Rebels. At 26-20, they hold a slim half game lead over us. We'd see southpaws Kevin Miller (6-2, 3.95 ERA) and Mike Stebner (5-4, 4.48 ERA) before the righty Erik Pike (5-3, 4.60 ERA).

Jonathan Simmons tore his quadriceps, and will likely miss 6 weeks. Tough injury for us, as the Rookie was slashing .326/.367/.543 with 2 homers and 8 RBI's in 12 games.

Alex Nagel was called up to replace him. The former 16th Overall Pick will be set to make his MLB debut after being added to the 40 to protect him from the Rule-5 Draft. He's hitting .261/.343/460 with 7 homers and 32 RBI's in 45 appearances with Grand Rapids. He's going to fill the lefty side of the platoon with Mike Koski in right.

Luckily, we didn't lose him for the year, like Milwaukee losing star CF Brad Marino for the rest of the season with a torn calf muscle. The always injured Marino was hitting .299/.347/.561 with 5 homers and 20 RBI's in 32 games. Only 29, he's only played more then 140 games once in 1787 as a 23-year-old, and hasn't topped 100 since 1901.

Josh Fisher (1-2, 4.59 ERA, 1.38 WHIP) opened up the series against the Rebels. He'd face staff ace Kevin Miller (6-2, 3.95 ERA, 1.06 WHIP) who's already beat us twice this year. The offense still couldn't get into gear, and we lost 3-1.

4 runs in 4 games...

Somehow, we're 2-2...

Fisher didn't do bad, 6 innings with 5 hits, 3 runs (2 earned), 4 walks, and 4 strikeouts. Former Rebel Toshiya Hayashi struck out 2 in an inning of work.

Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Jesus Camargo and Damian Salcido were both 1-for-3.

May 28th, 1904: Cody Hall (2-3, 6.09 ERA, 1.44 WHIP) would be pitching for his roster spot against Mike Stebner (5-4, 4.48 ERA, 1.26 WHIP). I think the threat worked, and he led us to a 5-3 victory.

It wasn't always pretty, but 8 innings with 5 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks, and 2 strikeouts won't kill you. Tobias Laranjeira tried to blow it, with 2 hits, a run, 2 walks, and a lucky strikeout in the 9th. He now has 17 saves on the season.

Andy Palme was 3-for-4 with a steal, walk, double, and RBI. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4 with a steal and 2 runs scored. Jesse Chesley was 2-for-5 with a run scored and RBI. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a walk and two run homer.

May 29th, 1904: First fan vote of the update: Giobbe Capuana 2nd for 1B. Jesus Camargo 2nd for 3B. Damian Salcido 2nd for SS. Justin Arrington is somehow 2nd for LF. D.J. Ruhnke is 4th for SP. Tobias Laranjeira sits 2nd and Juan Londono is 5th for RP.

Guess who's 1 and 2 for starting pitchers? Bobby Brosius and Mike Wilson...

Ruhnke (7-3, 3.68 ERA, 1.05 WHIP) looked to move back up the vote ladder. He took on Erik Pike (5-3, 4.60 ERA, 1.13 WHIP) in the finale. Winner would be in the playoffs if the season ended today. Alex Nagel hit 5th and played RF as he made his UBL debut. It was a solid debut, but it came in a 4-2 losing effort.

Ruhnke allowed 3 homers, going 7.2 innings with 8 hits, 4 runs, 3 walks, and 8 strikeouts. I think my stupid manager broke him...

Well, that's probably a stretch, but he is on pace to give up 60 homers, which sounds insane. He's also never allowed more then 32 (which is still a lot), but 20 in the first two months is unheard of. He has given up 3 homers in 4 games and only has two homer-less starts (both were shutouts).

Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-2 with a double, walk, and run scored. Nagel was 1-for-4 with an RBI single. Omar Atillio was 2-for-4.

We headed back home before starting a three game series with the Milwaukee Mustangs. After a great start, they fell to 4th, and are just 25-26. We'd see Yeong-shin Kim (6-2, 2.72 ERA), Sean Donald (6-4, 4.33 ERA), and Alberto Lucero (3-6, 5.91 ERA).

The draft is coming up as well, and luckily will fall right after the following series that will be at home against the Lightning.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #57
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

May 30th-June 5th

May 30th, 1904: Lightning RF Julio Montes and Brooklyn 3B Juan Ozuna were named Players of the Week.

We remained 6th in the Power Rankings. At 28-24, we're 1.5 out of 2nd and 9 out of first.

The Milwaukee Mustangs were in town for a three game set, as Matt Puckett (5-2, 3.93 ERA, 1.15 WHIP) looked to stay hot against Yeong-shin Kim (6-2, 2.72 ERA, 1.14 WHIP), who's slowly started to develop into one of the better pitchers in the league. He pitched a great game, but not great enough, and we took the opener 3-2.

Puckett looked sharp, 8 strong innings with 5 hits, 2 runs, a walk, and 4 strikeouts. Tobias Laranheira got the save, despite 2 hits and a walk with just a single strikeout in the 9th.

Andy Palme was 2-for-4 with a steal, 2 runs, and RBI. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with an RBI. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored.

May 31st, 1904: The final game in May saw Eric Thomas (5-4, 3.79 ERA, 1.35 WHIP) take on Sean Donald (6-4, 4.33 ERA, 1.43 WHIP). The pitching continued to hold up, and we won this one 4-2.

The Puckett and Thomas signings have really looked good so far!

Thomas went 8 with 3 hits, a run, 4 walks, and 6 strikeouts. Larajeira got the save, despite allowing a solo homer in he 9th. He has 19 saves now on the season.

Alex Nagel was 2-for-4 with a solo homer, the first of his career. Mike Legg was 2-for-5 with a double and run scored. Jorge Rancier was 2-for-4 with a walk. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-3 with a walk, double, and 2 driven in.

June 1st, 1904: Lightning RF Julio Montes and Buffalo LF Greg Jennings were Batters of the Month. If you remember Mike Jennings, who I traded to the Lightning, Greg is Mike's younger brother. Our very own SP Matt Puckett and Brooklyn CL Antonio Munoz were Pitchers of the Month. New York CF Robun Fujimoto and Philadelphia 1B Gabe Solis were Rookies of the Month.

Back to Puckett, he was 5-0 with a 1.62 ERA and 36 strikeouts in 6 starts. He had a terrible start to the season, but he really found his groove in May.

Down in Class C Bay City, RF Mike Heinemann was Batter of the Month in the Great Lakes League. The 23-year-old lefty hit .354 with 8 homers and 24 RBI's.

In Class A Grand Rapids, our top prospect Jorge Montalvo was American League Pitcher of the Month. He was 5-0 with a 2.38 ERA and 51 strikeouts in 41.2 innings (6 starts). He's almost ready for the majors, and could displace Cody Hall if Hall continues to struggle.

We looked to finish off the sweep with Josh Fisher (1-3, 4.35 ERA, 1.40 WHIP) taking on Alberto Lucero (3-6, 5.91 ERA, 1.47 WHIP). A big three run 8th gave us a 7-5 lead, and Laranjeira shut the door in the 9th to finish off the Mustangs.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP!!!!

Fisher didn't do too well, 7.2 innings with 10 hits, 5 runs, 2 walks, and 5 strikeouts. He also made 2 errors. Juan Londono allowed a hit and then got a strikeout to finish the 8th and then get the win. Laranheira needed just 9 pitches in a perfect 9th to record his 20th save.

Andy Palme was 3-for-4 with a double. Alex Nagel was 1-for-3 with a two run homer. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Jeremy Bell launched a pinch-hit three run shot in the 8th. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-3 with a run scored before being pinch hit for the previously mentioned Bell. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored. Fisher was 1-for-3 with an RBI.

Fresh off the sweep, we'd welcome the first place Lightning for a four game sweep. At 38-15, they hold a 7.5 game lead over the Rebels and an 8 game lead over us. The projected starters are Matt Nesgofa (7-1, 2.70 ERA), Jim McNiff (5-1, 2.68 ERA), Bobby Borsius (7-2, 1.87 ERA), and Eddie Long (7-3, 3.30 ERA). I'd leave St. Louis after Brosius' start to head not to far down the road to Ann Arbor, where the draft would take place this year at the University of Michigan.

June 2nd, 1904: The Lightning arrived to town with Matt Nesgoda (7-1, 2.70 ERA, 1.07 WHIP) looking to stay hot against the struggling Cody Hall (3-3, 5.36 ERA, 1.36 WHIP). Nesgoda left after just 2 pitches, and we took advantage of the Lightning pen in a 9-4 win.

I like this run we're on!!!

Hall was shaky, 10 hits and 3 walks with 3 runs and 4 strikeouts in 6 innings. He's still kind of pitching for his job, as Montalvo is trying to force himself on the roster. Simon Ellingson got a hold, with a walk and 4 strikeouts in 2 innings. Pat Peters allowed a hit and run with a strikeout in the 9th.

Giobbe Capuana was really on it today, 3-for-3 with a double, 2 homers, 2 walks, and 4 RBI's. Alex Nagel, who left the game with a bruised thigh after getting hit by a pitch, was 1-for-1 with a solo shot. I might not place him on the DL, and just not let him start consecutive days. Justin Arrington was 1-for-2 with 3 walks, a solo homer, and 2 runs scored. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a walk and 2 runs scored.

Philadelphia SP Noel Kessler tossed a 4-hit shutout in a 7-0 win over Brooklyn.

June 3rd, 1904: We looked to push our win streak to five with D.J. Ruhnke (7-4, 3.76 ERA, 1.08 WHIP) looking to get back on track against Jim McNiff (5-1, 2.68 ERA, 0.92 WHIP). He just hasn't looked the same since the awful outing, and we were topped 6-1.

Ruhnke went 6 with 9 hits, 6 runs, 3 walks, and 9 strikeouts as his ERA jumped over 4. Matt Macias went 2 with a hit and 4 strikeouts.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a solo homer. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-3 with a double and walk.

June 4th, 1904: With Zack Lawrence healthy, instead of sending him on rehab, I activated him and sent Nagel down to Grand Rapids to allow a full recovery from his bruised thigh.

We looked to secure at least a split with a battle of red hot pitchers in Matt Puckett (6-2, 3.75 ERA, 1.10 WHIP) and Bobby Brosius (7-2, 1.87 ERA, 0.82 WHIP). The drive to Ann Arbor would be a pleasant one, as it came right after a 3-1 win over the best team and pitcher in baseball!

Honestly, Philly might be better, but since we don't play them, I'll just say it's St. Louis!

Puck went 7 with 5 hits, a run, 2 walks, and 7 strikeouts as he's almost replaced Ruhnke as the ace. Londono picked up the hold, 2 strikeouts in a perfect 9th. Laranjeira got the save, a strikeout in an efficient 6 pitch 9th.

Jeremy Bell was 2-for-3 with a solo homer and 2 runs scored. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-3 with a run scored. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a pair of RBI's in his return to the lineup.

Yeong-shin Kim tossed a 1-hit shutout in a 7-0 win over the Red Hawks.

Fan vote update: Giobbe Capuana is 2nd for 1B. Damian Salcido (somehow) is 2nd for SS. Same with Arrington, although at LF. Ruhnke remains 4th for SP, although I'd expect him to drop out soon. Laranjeira and Londono remain 2nd and 5th for pen arms.

Before the draft, we looked to top the Lightning with Eric Thomas (6-4, 3.54 ERA, 1.31 WHIP) looking to stay hot against Eddie Long (7-3, 3.30 ERA, 1.13 WHIP) in another nice pitching match up. It was a tight one, but the Lightning picked up win #40 in a 2-1 victory to earn the split.

Thomas went all 9, with 7 hits, 2 runs, 5 walks, and 5 strikeouts.

Andy Palme and Damian Salcido were both 1-for-3 with a walk. Mike Koski was 1-for-4 with a run scored. We didn't have an RBI, as Koski scored on Jeremy Bell's double play...

Luckily, I missed the game, as I was preparing for the upcoming draft!
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 04-14-2019 at 03:54 PM.
ayaghmour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #58
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Happy Draft Day!

With the first pick, in the 1904 UBL Amateur Draft, the Newark Venom select the center fielder Keith "Speed Limit" Lovejoy out of San Jose State!

Ironically, the speedy Lovejoy was the Chargers 5th Round Pick in 1901. He declined to sign, and instead headed to San Jose State. A speedy left handed hitting outfielder, my scout only rates him a 2.5*, but OSA thinks he's going to be an absolute stud, rated a 4.5* potential. They have with elite contact, plus-plus gap power, plus-plus home run power, a slightly below average eye, but with an elite ability to avoid striking out.

1st Round, 14th Overall: CL Robby Gonzaelz (5): By time I was up, it was prety much slim pickings. Against my better judgement, I went with the Closer from UAB. Taken 10th Overall last year by the Pilots, Robby Conzalez is near big league ready, and he has the upside of a big league closer. He can touch triple digits and give you multiple innings out of the bullpen. He's got an elite cutter with a plus-plus curveball, although his movement and control aren't quite there yet.

1st Round, 15th Overall: SS Mike Wise (3): With the next pick, I went with a high school shortstop in Mike Wise. With elite range and plus ratings all across the board on defense, Wise has all the tools to stick at short. He's not the best hitter, as strikeouts will always be a problem for him, but he makes a lot of contact and has decent pop. He's not the best athlete, but he has a ton of baseball talent.

1st Round, 24th Overall: SP Matt Reyes (2.5): A groundballer who averages in the 89-91 MPH range, Matt Reyes is a dependable starter who has the chance to fill the middle of a rotation. He keeps the ball on the ground and has pinpoint control with a nice three pitch arsenal. He has an average cut, plus slider, and elite change.

1st Round, 26th Overall: C Tom McIlwain (3): Says he won't sign, but I like what I see in the 18-year-old from Toms River, NJ. He calls a decent game, but his arm behind the plate isn't really the best. He's got a nice bat, with a great eye and plus power. He strikes out a lot, but if he doesn't sign, he can mature at a solid program.

1st Round, 27th Overall: SS Brent Silva (2.5): Another great fielder, Silva is elite all across the board as an infielder, topping out at 91 for his range. He can play a little in the corner outfield, but he is much more suited for the infield. Like Wise, he isn't the best athlete, but he oozes baseball skills. At the plate, he gives good at bats and a lot of extra base hits.

2nd Round, 30th Overall: SP Kevin Hogan (2.5): He also says he won't sign, although with his injury concerns, it may hurt him. It was a nice birthday treat for Hogan to be selected on his 18th birthday, although he may have a better gift three years from now. He doesn't have ideal starter stamina, and could be best used in a swingman role. The righty has plus stuff with a plus-plus fastball, elite curve, and elite change, although his fastball sits in the 92-94 range. He's got average control as well.

2nd Round, 36th Overall: RF Jody Edwards (2.5): Born in Honolulu, Hawaii, Jody Edwards moved to Pennsylvania as a kid, where he made a name for himself as a power hitter. With plus-plus power and plus contact, Edwards is a devastating bat-first lefty who can change the game with a swing of the bat. He hit an impressive 10 homers as a senior, and took home PA High School Player of the Year. He's got a plus arm in the outfield, but will never be known for his glove. He gives Josh Stevens vibes.

2nd Round, 42nd Overall: 3B Pat Mook (2.5): A rarity, Pat Mook is an extreme contact third basemen with absolutely no power. He has a solid eye and won't strike out much as well, but Mook will almost never hit a home run. He's a well-rounded defender at third with a 100 rated arm and plus range. He played a little bit of second, short, and right as well, but third is the perfect spot for him.

3rd Round, 54th Overall: RP Jim Gardner (3): We're almost out of talent, as I went with another relief pitcher. He started at Quinnipiac, but with just two pitches, an elite cut and plus slider, Gardner will likely end up in the pen. He grazes triple digits as a sidewinding righty, but his pitches don't move as much for a sidearmer as you'd expect.

3rd Round, 60th Overall: CF Israel Martinez (2.5): Says he won't sign. A crazy power hitter from Wyoming, Martinez rates 90 for homer power potential. He's got decent foot speed and a plus eye, but he's prone to striking out. He doesn't really have much of a future in center, and will likely end up in left or right. Going to college is probably a good play for him.

4th Round, 77th Overall: SP Frank Sullivan (2): Here's my Bobby Brosius/Mike Wilson pick attempt. Sullivan doesn't look the most promising, but he's a borderline starter with a ton of stamina. He only throws around 89-91 with his plus fastball, but he's got an elite curveball and a developing change. It's almost average, but the lefty doesn't quite get the needed movement on it. He's a lottery ticket, but one of the best options in a thin class.

5th Round, 93rd Overall: CF Zack Folmar (2): An elite defensive centerfielder from Oregon, Zach Folmar has blazing speed, but he's never been much of a base runner. He's great in the outfield and can track down nearly everything, giving him the great floor of a 4th or 5th outfielder. He's got plus contact, but with no power, as groundball singles are his favorite way to reach base.

6th Round, 190th Overall: SP Jared Nelson (1.5): Nelson is a developing starter with elite stamina, an average fastball, plus slider, and changeup that could be elite. He doesn't throw the hardest, but has relatively good control. If he can master his movement, Nelson could be a spot starter/long reliever.

7th Round, 125th Overall: C John Liening (2): I wish he'd sign, but I didn't notice he was demanding a bonus. A dependable catcher behind the plate, Liening has a plus-plus eye and he can spray a few gappers.

8th Round, 141st Overall: SS Manuelo Mazo (2): He could be a steal in the 8th round, as the durable and dependable shortstop takes a rating hit from his lack of power. He's at least average in the other four offensive categories with plus gap power and avoid strikeout abilities. He's fast, steals bases well, and has all the needed tools for shortstop. His arm is a little on the weak side, so second may be his final destination.

9th Round, 157th Overall: SP Josh Campbell (1.5): Back to starting pitching with the inning eater Josh Campbell. An 18-year-old from El Cajon, CA, Campbell's best tool is his control. Another sidearmer, the righty has an intriguing three pitch arsenal. He has a plus fastball, slider, and plus-plus knuckle curve.

10th Round, 173rd Overall: CF Wil Wilkinson (2): A Sudbury, Ontario native, Wilkinson was undrafted out of college, but attended the small school of El Molino in Forestville California where he started to turn heads. He put up a solid junior year, where he flashed not only an elite glove, but average contact and plus gap power. He's got elite range, almost never makes an error, and has a plus-plus arm that can make most throws.

11th Round, 189th Overall: 2B Bobby Lewis (2): Undrafted out of high school, Bobby Lewis made his name at Bayport-Blue Point in Bayport, New York. And while he played shortstop there, Lewis will likely end up at second. He's got range for short, but he's got a below average arm. A groundball hitter, he has an average bat for a shortstop, but he's not the best option at the plate.

12th Round, 205th Overall: SP Alex Gonzalez (1.5): A Puerto Rican native, Alex Gonzalez has plus stuff and average control, but with absolutely no movement on his pitches. He also doesn't light up the radar gun, although he could benefit from the natural bullpen boost.

13th Round, 221st Overall: C Casey Hart (2): Another catcher I wish would sign, Casey Hart is a switch hitter with plus contact and a plus eye. He's a solid, if not unspectacular defensive catcher, but he can benefit from more seasoning.

14th Round, 237th Overall: SP Karl Eslick (1): A junior from Vanderbuilt, the righty Karl Eslick was the #3 in a powerful rotation. He's got average control of his average four pitch arsenal. He owns a fastball, cutter, slider, and changeup and hovers around the 90 MPH area. I have low expectations here, but a dependable college arm can always help the system.

15th Round, 253rd Overall: SP Javier Orozco (1.5): Won't sign, but the durable lefty is a nice longshot prospect. He's got decent control with an average fastball, change, and sinker. There are rumors of him heading to the University of North Carolina.

16th Round, 269th Overall: 2B Troy Jackson (2): He's not the best defender, but the versatile Jackson can fill in at second, third, short, left, and right. He's not too fast and is a "weird" hitter. He's got a plus eye, but has the "all-or-nothing" approach without the power. He's pushing plus contact, but really doesn't look to promising.

17th Round, 285th Overall: C Aaron Dustin (1.5): Undrafted out of high school and as a junior, the senior from Sierra finally heard his name called. A durable backstop with elite catching abiltiy and a plus arm, all Dustin has to do is hit a little. He showed that in college, stepping up when his team needed him most, but it'll be different in affiliated ball. He's got plus power and has a few walkoff homers in his college career.

18th Round, 301st Overall: SP Glenn Teslo (0.5): We're reaching the bottom of the barrel! Undrafted out of high school, the Canadian Glenn Telso came stateside for college, and earned a selection this year. His calling card is his stuff, and he features an average cut, plus curve, average change, below-average sinker, and plus-plus screwball. He doesn't quite have starter stamina, but he can be an interesting multiple inning weapon.

19th Round, 317th Overall: SP Matt Young (0.5): A durable righty, who like Teslo, doesn't quite have starter stamina. The righty is an extreme flyballer who barley touches 90, but he's got plus control and a plus-plus change. He also mixes in a plus slider with average fastball and cutter.

20th Round, 333rd Overall: SP Dylan Calder (0.5): We finish off the Class of 1904 with the righty Dylan Calder. He's an inning eater who throws in the mid to high 80s. His best pitch his a plus-plus change, as his other three pitches (cutter, curve, slider) aren't really that good. But of course, which 20th Round Pick really is good?

Up next, three in Cincy with the Red Hawks! We'd be back in action against Mike Rivera (1-4, 4.64 ERA) followed by Humberto Gonzalez (7-3, 3.56 ERA) and Carson Reffitt (3-6, 5.09 ERA).
Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #59
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

June 6th-June 12th

June 6th, 1904: An early signing as 24th Overall Pick Matt Reyes signed a $300 bonus and will head to Class D Trenton.

New York 3B Oscar Lopez and Brooklyn C Felipe Navarro were Players of the Week.

Still 6th in the Power Rankings. At 33-26, we are 8 out of first and 1.5 out of second.

We started a series in Cincinnati against the Red Hawks with Josh Fisher (1-3, 4.60 ERA, 1.43 WHIP) taking on Mike Rivera (1-4, 4.64 ERA, 1.32 WHIP) who's only win of the year came against us. We've got a bunch of starters sitting out with fatigue, so we trotted out a very unique lineup. It showed at the plate, and we were easily handled 6-1.

Fisher went 7 with 10 hits, 5 runs, 2 walks, and 6 strikeouts. Toshiya Hayashi went an inning with 2 hits and a run.

Pete McCoy was 2-for-4 with an RBI.Jorge Rancier was 1-for-3 with a walk.

June 7th, 1904: Good news as Nate McCue is feeling much better, and can start a rehab assignment in Class C Bay City. I'm looking to give him at least two starts with the Aces.

27th Overall Pick Brent Silva signed a $120 signing bonus and 5th Rounder Zach Folmar signed a $40 bonus.

We looked to even our series back up with Cody Hall (4-3, 5.25 ERA, 1.46 WHIP) facing Humberto Gonzalez (7-3, 3.56 ERA, 1.30 WHIP). Cody Hall officially gave up hope as being a Detroit Charger, and we were crushed 10-2.

Hall went 3 with 10 hits, 7 runs, 2 walks, and 4 strikeouts. Pat Peters allowed 5 hits with 2 runs, a walk, and 2 strikeouts in 3 innings. Matt Macias went 2 with 2 hits, a run, and 4 strikeouts.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a double. Andy Palme was 1-for-3 with a triple, hit by pitch, and RBI. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a run scored. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-4 with an RBI.

Obviously, no one really wanted Hall or his contract, so it may be a little before I replace/get rid of him.

January 8th, 1904: 15th Overall Pick Mike Wise signed a $200 signing bonus.

We looked to avoid the sweep with D.J. Ruhnke (7-5, 4.07 ERA, 1.13 WHIP) hoping to regain his April form against Carson Reffitt (3-6, 5.09 ERA, 1.58 WHIP). Today was just a glorious day, and we returned the facor with a 10-1 crushing of the hosts who attempted to sweep us away.

Ruhnke looked better, although not perfect, allowing 8 hits and 3 walks, but with just 1 run and 10 strikeouts in a complete game. It was his 11th appearance of 8 innings or more this year.

Jesus Camargo went 4-for-5 with 2 runs and 2 RBI's. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-3 with a solo homer, 2 walks, and 3 runs scored. Jorge Rancier was 2-for-4 with a run scored, walk, and RBI. Damian Salcido was 2-for-4 with a homer, hit by pitch, 2 runs, and 3 RBI's. Andy Palme was 2-for-6 with a run scored and RBI.

We get today off, and would head home before hosting the Wildcats.

June 9th, 1904: Today was a much needed off day for the team, as we looked to straighten things back up. The Wildcats, who are an even 29-29 on the year, would send Marcos Hernandez (6-4, 4.82 ERA), Willis Salinas (5-6, 4.82 ERA), and Jose Gonzalez (1-3, 4.75 ERA) to the mound.

June 10th, 1904: 2nd Rounder Jody Edwards signed an $80 bonus.

We welcomed the Wildcats and ace Marcos Hernadnez (6-4, 4.82 ERA, 1.52 WHIP) to town with the red hot Matt Puckett (7-2, 3.54 ERA, 1.09 WHIP). Tied at 5 in the 9th, Tobias Laranjeira allowed a pair of solo homers, and the Wildcats took the opener 7-5.

Puckett went 6 with 7 hits, 5 runs, a walk, and 4 strikeouts. Simon Ellingson walked one, but struck out the side in the 7th. Laranjeira allowed 2 hits and 2 runs with a strikeout, falling to 0-4.

Zack Lawrence was 1-for-2 with a solo homer, 2 walks, and 2 runs scored. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a two run homer. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a solo homer.

June 11th, 1904: 2nd Rounder Pat Mook signed a $70 signing bonus.

We looked to get back in the win column with Eric Thomas (6-5, 3.40 ERA, 1.31 WHIP) taking on the struggling Willis Salinas (5-6, 4.82 ERA, 1.47 WHIP). With a massive 11 run 6th, we exploded to a 17-2 win.

Thomas went the distance, 9 strong innings with 2 runs, a walk, and 10 strikeouts.

Andy Palme lead the charge, going 3-for-5 with a homer, double, 2 runs, and 5 RBI's. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-5 with 2 runs, a double, and 3 RBI's. Damian Salcido was 2-for-4 with a homer, walk, 3 runs, and 3 RBI's. Jorge Rancier was 2-for-5 with 2 doubles, 2 runs, 2 RBI's, and a walk. Omar Atillio was 2-for-3 with 2 walks, 2 runs, a double, and RBI.

June 12th, 1904: 14th Overall Pick Robby Gonzalez agreed to a $210 signing bonus. He'd be one of the few draftees to not start in Class D, reporting to Class C Salt Lake City where he'd start pitching again as early as tomorrow.

We looked to take the rubber match with Josh Fisher (1-4, 4.83 ERA, 1.46 WHIP) taking on southpaw Jose Gonzalez (1-3, 4.75 ERA, 1.49 WHIP). I was afraid we'd be out of runs today, but a big 5 run 8th helped propel us to the 10-6 victory.

Fisher went 7.1 innings with 9 hits, 5 runs, a walk,a nd 7 strikeouts. Pat Peters allowed a hit and run with 2 strikeouts in the 9th.

Jeremy Bell was 4-for-4 with 3 doubles, a run scored, walk, and 4 RBI's. Damian Salcido was 3-for-5 with a double, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-3 with a double, 2 walks, and 2 RBI's. Mike Koski was 1-for-3 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a double, walk, run scored, and RBI.

Philly SS Willie Gonzalez launched his 300th career homer. In his 11th season in the UBL, the former Cajun and Current Freedom shortstop owns a .308/.393/.560 career line in 1,283 career games. After putting up an insane 8.8 WAR season last year, he's hitting even better, .340/.413/.722 with 11 homers and 26 RBI's in just 24 games since returning from the DL.

We'd face his former team, New Orleans, tomorrow in the Bayou. The 25-38 Cajuns sit 19 out of first, 11 out of second, and 10 behind us. We'd see Bill Rivera (1-6, 6.33 ERA) and Jesse Salvetti (3-2, 1.96 ERA) before an off day.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #60
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

June 13th-June 19th

June 13th, 1904: St. Louis C Roy Brand and Newark C Pat Glynn were named Players of the Week. While both our catchers, they couldn't be any more different, as Brand is a superstar and Glynn is a fringe backup and former 19th Round Pick.

We moved up 1 spot to 5th in the Power Rankings. At 36-29, we're just 1 out of second and 9 out of first.

The New Orleans Cajuns and Bill Rivera (1-6, 6.33 ERA, 1.73 WHIP) welcomed us to town. D.J. Ruhnke (8-5, 3.82 ERA, 1.14 WHIP) got the start for us. It was a solid all-around game, and we took the opener in this quick two game set 6-2.

Ruhnke went 8 with 5 hits, 2 runs, and 5 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira struck out 1 in a perfect 9th.

Jorge Rancier was 3-for-4. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a double, homer, and 3 RBI's. Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with a homer, walk, double, 3 runs, and 2 RBI's. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-3 with a walk and solo homer.

St. Louis SP Jim McNiff tossed a 3-hit shutout in a 7-0 win over Chicago.

Cleveland CF Israel Cruz hit his 300th career homer. The 35-year-old vet came over from Mexico before the 1896 season, and has been one of the premeir players during his time with the Lightning. He's a career .295/.388/.574 hitter in 4,365 at bats.

June 14th, 1904: We looked to finish the "sweep" with Cody Hall (4-4, 6.18 ERA, 1.61 WHIP) facing former Charger Jesse Salvetti (3-2, 1.96 ERA, 1.39 WHIP). We got a big 5 run third and cruised to the 7-2 victory!

Hall went the distance and actually looked really good, just 4 hits, 2 runs, and 8 strikeouts.

Jeremy Bell was 3-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Mike Koski was 3-for-5 with a double, triple, 2 runs, and RBI. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a walk and two run homer. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a walk, run scored, and RBI. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-3 with a walk, double, and 2 RBI's. Zack Lawrrence was 1-for-4 with a walk, run scored, and steal.

We get tomorrow off!

June 15th, 1904: Nate McCue rejoined the active roster after a pair of really good rehab starts. Pat Peters will return to Grand Rapids. Brett Hunter wants to leave Hall in the rotation, but if he struggles I'll force him down to the pen.

We headed to Chicago for a four game set with the Cardinals. At 20-42, they are 24.5 games out of first place. We're back to second, a half game ahead of the Rebels. Scheduled to start for the Cards are Bobby Goldberg (4-9, 5.57 ERA), Chris Overson (1-5, 4.76 ERA), Travis Edwards (3-6, 5.16 ERA), and Orlando Vigil (4-4, 5.65 ERA).

June 16th, 1904: 3rd Rounder Jim Gardner signed a $90 signing bonus. He, like Gonzalez, will head to Salt Lake City and be ready immediately.

The opener in Chi-Town pinned Eric Thomas (7-5, 3.28 ERA, 1.27 WHIP) against the struggling Bobby Goldberg (4-9, 5.57 ERA, 1.36 WHIP). We couldn't get anything going at the plate, and were edged 2-1 to start the four game set.

But what was worse, was both Thomas and Salcido leaving with injuries. Thomas has just a mild hamstring strain, and shouldn't miss more then just the minimum 10 days. Salcido's diagnosis is pending...

Thomas only lasted 3.2 with 4 hits, a run, 3 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Matt Macias went 2.1 innings with a walk and strikeout. Simon Ellingson got the loss, 2 innings with 2 hits, a run, and a walk.

Omar Atillio was 1-for-3 with a double and walk. Andy Palme was 1-for-3 with a walk. Jorge Rancier was 1-for-4 with a triple, steal, and run scored. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-2.

I brought back Peters from Grand Rapids, who didn't get a chance to pitch for them.

St. Louis' Bobby Brosius tossed a 7-hit shutout in an 11-0 victory over New Orleans.

June 17th, 1904: We looked to even the series back up with Matt Puckett (7-2, 3.81 ERA, 1.11 WHIP) facing Travis Edwards (3-6, 5.16 ERA, 1.47 WHIP). We fell behind 8-0, before getting 1 in the 7th and 5 more in the 8th. It wasn't enough, and we were topped 8-6.

Yikes...

Puckett went 5.2 with 12 hits, 8 runs, 2 walks, and 7 strikeouts. I'm afraid he got Ruhnke'd, pitching wayyyyyyyyyy too long in a game that he should've been pulled in... Peters went 2.1 with 4 strikeouts.

Andy Palme was 2-for-4 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Zack Lawrence was 2-for-5 with a double and run scored. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-4 with a grand slam. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a solo shot.

June 18th, 1904: Damian Salcido was diagnosed with back tightness, and he'd be out for 2-3 weeks. I purchased the contract of Juan Villanueva, who I acquired in February for Kab-shik Min.

Villanueva, 24, is rated a 1.5/3*, with an elite eye, plus gap power, and elite speed. He's a solid base runner and an effective defender at second who can fill in at third and short. He was hitting .252/.342/.366 with 4 homers, 6 steals, and 20 RBI's in 54 games with the Bulls.

To make room on the 40 for him, I transferred Dave Pater to the 60-Day DL, and when he'd be activated, he'd be DFA'd.

Mike Legg would start at short in Salcido's absence, with Pete McCoy getting a few starts as well.

4th Rounder Frank Sullivan signed a $50 signing bonus.

The Red Hawks will be without rookie righty Vinny Balado for the rest of the season with bone chip sin his elbow. He pitched just 4.2 innings, but the former 9th Rounder struck out 4 and allowed just 4 hits.

We really needed to get back on track, with D.J. Runke (9-5, 3.72 ERA, 1.10 WHIP) facing Orlando Vigil (4-4, 5.65 ERA, 1.44 WHIP). We gave Ruhnke support to backup a poor start, and we took the third game 8-5.

D.J. allowed 5 runs off 10 hits with 2 walks and 7 strikeouts in 8 innings. Tobias Laranjeira got the save, a hit in a scoreless 9th.

Zack Lawrence was 3-for-5 with a solo homer and 2 runs scored. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-5 with a homer and 2 RBI's. Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with 3 RBI's. Mike Legg was 2-for-5 with a steal. Ruhnke was 1-for-4 with a double, run scored, and 2 RBI's. Jorge Rancier was 1-for-4 with a double, walk, and run scored.

June 10th, 1904: Fan vote update: Giobbe Capuana sits 2nd for 1B. Damian Salcido is 3rd for SS. Justin Arrington is 2nd for LF. D.J. Ruhnke is 5th for SP. Laranjeira is 2nd and Londono 5th for relievers.

The finale finished with Nate McCue (3-2, 3.53 ERA, 0.98 WHIP) making his return to the rotation against Chris Overson (1-5, 4.76 ERA, 1.36 WHIP). We looked pitiful, and let an awful team beat us 8-2...

They really took 3 out of 4 from us...

McCue looked bad, 6 innings with 7 hits, 8 runs (6 earned...), 2 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Matt Macias struck out 5 with just a single hit in 2 innings.

Zack Lawrence was 2-for-3 with a steal, walk, and RBI. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-2 with 2 walks and a run scored. Jorge Rancier was 1-for-4 with a triple and run scored.

Well, it won't get easier as we continue our road trip in St. Louis to face the 47-22 Lighting. They have a nice 9 game cushion over us, and will send Ron Howard (6-1, 4.66 ERA), Bobby Brosius (8-4, 2.11 ERA), and Eddie Long (9-4, 3.50 ERA) to the mound.