Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #21
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Even with recalc (plus development), strange things can happen. In my league Griffey Sr. was a better player than Griffey Jr., and Rod Carew wasn't quite the force he was IRL and of course Babe Ruth coming in at age 34 spoiled his chances of a HoF career. Craig Biggio came in at 32, and lost his shot too. So did Robinson Cano (age 31 when he entered) who I think is headed for the HoF. Bobby Grich (who I think belongs IRL) came in at 29. Keith Hernandez (a very underrated guy IRL) came in at 23, and wasn't able to make it. Eddie Mathews sadly was 31 in that inaugural draft class. So was Minnie Minoso. Tim Raines Sr. was 29 in that draft. Sammy Sosa was 33. Joe Torre (should've been in as a player IRL IMHO) was 28. Mordecai Brown entered at 35. SS George Davis came in at 24 and was never quite as impactful as IRL. Bobby Doerr was 28 etc etc. You get the picture. Sometimes HoF types just don't live up to their RL selves or they come in too late in their careers to live up to their RL selves.

However guys like Rocky Colavito, Darryl Strawberry, Jim Fregosi, Michael Wacha, Alex Cobb, Johnny Callison, Nomar Garciaparra, Ewell Blackwell, Dennis Leonard, Dutch E Leonard, Ken Caminiti, Paul Goldschmidt, Lon Warneke, Norm Cash, Victor Martinez, Duane Ward, and some dude named Tillie Shafer stepped up to bridge the HoF gap. Yes it's sad to watch a big name HoF guy miss out due to the age scatter that's needed for the inaugural draft, but guys will always step up out of nowhere to become HoFers.

I now have 36 HoFers through the 42 year dynasty. The first one (Zack Greinke) went in in 1919, so including the 1943 HoF class, that's 25 potential classes and 36 players (1.44 per potential class), which is a pretty decent rate IMHO. I've had 2 classes of 4 players, 3 classes of 3 players and the rest have been 2, 1, or 0. The RL HoF has now elected 220 players to the HoF in 82 different classes (2.68 players per class), but remember not all of them have had the 75.0% threshold that the writer's ballot forces them to surpass. There have been 124 players brought in by the writer's ballot, which is 1.51 players per class, which is much closer to mine. That 75.0% threshold is really tricky. Some of the RL HoFers were "Friends of Frankie Frisch" and came in through the Veterans Committee when he was in charge.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-18-2017 at 07:24 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #22
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

So far this fictional experiment is eye opening and gives me another way to think about playing. One thing I'm noticing is way more pitcher under achieve or fail to live up to expectations than hitters.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #23
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
So far this fictional experiment is eye opening and gives me another way to think about playing. One thing I'm noticing is way more pitcher under achieve or fail to live up to expectations than hitters.
Can you still tie the stats output to 1984 or does the quick simming not allow for that?
Old 02-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #24
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Can you still tie the stats output to 1984 or does the quick simming not allow for that?
Was going for speed. The league is only 8 teams one subleague, so even that was set up for speed. I simply started in 1946 and then let the modifiers update according to history.

If I ever decide to play one of these for real, I will more than likely base it on a certain season or seasons. Just didn't want to stop after each season with this quick sim to do so.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #25
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Oh wow, Pat Borders hit 562 home runs and had 2358 hits.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #26
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh wow, Pat Borders hit 562 home runs and had 2358 hits.
Hahahahahahahahahahah!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #27
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

In both of these fictional sims, Vida Blue ends up a closer. 300+ saves in this one.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #28
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

Do you guys know or have an estimate of about how many real historic players are in the file that the random historical players pull from?
I'm using two tiers of minors and drafting about 930 players a year (30 mlb teams). Trying to figure out how many years I have before the real players run out.
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:17 PM   #29
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrane View Post
Do you guys know or have an estimate of about how many real historic players are in the file that the random historical players pull from?
I'm using two tiers of minors and drafting about 930 players a year (30 mlb teams). Trying to figure out how many years I have before the real players run out.
Should be around 18,650 in OOTP17, and by the time OOTP18 rolls around there should be somewhere around 18,900. This is MLBers only. I have no idea what the impact of minor leaguers and Negro Leaguers will be. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure you can do random debut with minor leaguers and Negro Leaguers, but David Watts will know better than me.

EDIT: This is the prime reason I use unlimited reserve rosters for my random debuts. It allows me to play many more years as I use a five round draft, as that's all I really need.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-18-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #30
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Oh my, Eric Hosmer finishes with 3688 hits and 855 home runs .316 career average.

After 300 seasons 2245 the hits leader is now Sherry McGee with 3814. There are currently 28 players with 3000+ hits. McGee on top and Manny Machado at 3002.

Top 5 home runs
Bob Horner 950
Eddie Murray 910
Rogers Hornsby 861
Eric Hosmer 855
Graig Nettles 828

Herb Score is the new Strikeout king with 5260

300 seasons and only 6 pitchers have 300+wins. There are 90 pitchers with 200+ wins

Lew Hicks Moren is the new saves leader with 647

Greg Maddux finishes his career 158-130 3.27

Ted Williams had a blah career in .308 career average, 327 home runs, 2191 hits. He did have a career .422 OBP.

Another disappointment is Al Kaline. Al finished with only 1577 hits and 172 home runs. .282 career average.

Chris Sale only starts 24 games over his career. Finishes 80-65 with 153 saves
Old 02-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #31
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Should be around 18,650 in OOTP17, and by the time OOTP18 rolls around there should be somewhere around 18,900. This is MLBers only. I have no idea what the impact of minor leaguers and Negro Leaguers will be. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure you can do random debut with minor leaguers and Negro Leaguers, but David Watts will know better than me.

EDIT: This is the prime reason I use unlimited reserve rosters for my random debuts. It allows me to play many more years as I use a five round draft, as that's all I really need.
Thanks action. I thought there were way more players than that available. You just saved me a TON of time.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #32
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Just wondering how many teams you guys use in your leagues? I would love to have a random debut league that can go 100+ seasons without running out of real players.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #33
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just wondering how many teams you guys use in your leagues? I would love to have a random debut league that can go 100+ seasons without running out of real players.
The one that I ran for fun above was only an 8 team league. That being said, it went from 1946-2245, 300 seasons and I still hadn't run out of players. I think the draft was either 5 or 6 rounds. Oh and I only uses players from 1901 through modern day. I didn't use any pre 1900 players.

Something to keep in mind when playing random debut is, players debut major league ready. So, you don't need a huge number of draft rounds, unless you prefer to have lots of extra players in the minors. I usually use 4 or 5 rounds. Sometimes 6. If you have too many rounds, you will end up with a lot of players never making it to the bigs.

As for number of teams, I'm currently using a 20 team setup. That's actually high for me. I like small leagues. I don't manage or gm and simply watch, so smaller leagues allow me to get to know the teams better.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #34
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm following historical expansion as it happened, so right now I still have two subleagues (AL and NL) with 8 teams in each one. Come 1961, things will start to change. One difference I'm going to have is that I won't use divisions in my two subleagues. It means that say for example if 1993 were to play out as it did IRL, it would be SFG @ ATL for the NLCS rather than PHI @ ATL. Actually by then I think I would be having four teams qualify for playoffs in each subleague, so it would be #4 MON @ #1 ATL and #3 PHI @ #2 SFG in the two NL Division Series and #4 TEX @ #1 TOR and #3 NYY @ #2 CHW in the two AL Division Series.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-20-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #35
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Another interesting HoF stat from my league. So far the database tells me there have been 3,465 players that have played in the big leagues in my league (for some reason, the game erases those that do not make the big leagues, even though I tell it not to), and 36 players have been elected to the HoF. That means it is the Hall of the top 1.04% of all players in the game, which is right around where you'd want it I'd say.

Because I'm still in OOTP16, I use the old Spritze database to supplement the regular database. Every draft year, the main database supplies me with 80 players (16 teams * 5 round draft), and I top it up with two players from the Spritze database, using a random number generator and the master file. So far, no Negro Leaguers , but lots of Japanese and Korean players, plus one or two from Chinese Taipei and some PCLers for good measure. I should be at 80 players * 42 drafts = 3,360 players + 704 players (44 players * 16 teams) in the inaugural draft + the 84 Spritze database players that have entered so far = 4,148 players, so it looks like about 83.5% of players drafted are ending up with at least one appearance in a game (or a "cup of coffee" if you will). Not bad. It also means I've used up 4,064 players (just over 22% of the database) from the regular database so I should have roughly 14,325ish to go after 42 years (there are only 18,400 in the regular database because it was compiled following the 2014 season). Not bad. Once I start expanding, they'll get used up at a quicker rate, but never more than 150 per year (don't intend to go past 30 teams, well maybe 32 to even things out in the two subleagues, but that's about it).

Should be able to get to about the year 2050 with the amount players I have in the regular database. Whew! That's a long way off from 1943 where I am now.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-20-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #36
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another interesting HoF stat from my league. So far the database tells me there have been 3,465 players that have played in the big leagues in my league (for some reason, the game erases those that do not make the big leagues, even though I tell it not to), and 36 players have been elected to the HoF. That means it is the Hall of the top 1.04% of all players in the game, which is right around where you'd want it I'd say.

Because I'm still in OOTP16, I use the old Spritze database to supplement the regular database. Every draft year, the main database supplies me with 80 players (16 teams * 5 round draft), and I top it up with two players from the Spritze database, using a random number generator and the master file. So far, no Negro Leaguers , but lots of Japanese and Korean players, plus one or two from Chinese Taipei and some PCLers for good measure. I should be at 80 players * 42 drafts = 3,360 players + 704 players (44 players * 16 teams) in the inaugural draft + the 84 Spritze database players that have entered so far = 4,148 players, so it looks like about 83.5% of players drafted are ending up with at least one appearance in a game (or a "cup of coffee" if you will). Not bad. It also means I've used up 4,064 players (just over 22% of the database) from the regular database so I should have roughly 14,325ish to go after 42 years (there are only 18,400 in the regular database because it was compiled following the 2014 season). Not bad. Once I start expanding, they'll get used up at a quicker rate, but never more than 150 per year (don't intend to go past 30 teams, well maybe 32 to even things out in the two subleagues, but that's about it).

Should be able to get to about the year 2050 with the amount players I have in the regular database. Whew! That's a long way off from 1943 where I am now.
By erases those that do not make the majors, do you mean guys that never get drafted and thus are never on a roster, or do you mean guys are getting erased if they never make into a major league game?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #37
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
By erases those that do not make the majors, do you mean guys that never get drafted and thus are never on a roster, or do you mean guys are getting erased if they never make into a major league game?
Guys that never get into a major league game. I make sure everyone passes through the draft by making the inaugural draft a 44 round draft because there are 44 players per team exactly. The annual amateur draft is 5 rounds long and I bring in exactly 5 rounds worth of players for it plus the two Spritze players. It never runs five rounds due to the never ending supplemental round thanks to all the free agent signings. I also do a serpentine draft only for the inaugural draft. The annual amateur draft is a regular draft, but I feel serpentine disperses the talent better for the inaugural draft.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #38
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Well lookie, lookie who's won seven straight AL batting titles through his age 24 season!...Shoeless Joe is in another league. Averages of .366, .368, .434, .403, .359, .376, and .360. In five of those seven seasons, he's won the "Quadruple Crown" of BA, OBP, SLG, OPS. A career .376/.438/.590/1.028 slash line and a 189 OPS+ and a 183 wRC+. All of this in a league that's basically in and around a .260/.323/.385/.708 slash line. Now that is getting it done folks! In the other season where he didn't win a batting crown, he didn't qualify and he "only" hit .329 and "only" slashed .329/.383/.517/.900 for a 149 OPS+ and a 149 wRC+. Slacker! Well, I suppose he was just 17 at the time, so we'll cut him some slack. Geez! He's about to come runner up in the MVP voting for the fourth time and he's won it twice. Like I said, he's only going into his age 25 season. Wow!
Attached Images

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-21-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #39
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Cool to see that he's hitting home runs too.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #40
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cool to see that he's hitting home runs too.
That's the "1984" + Neutralized Stats effect.