Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Creating a Fictional Country

I've been reading that the best way to create a fictional country is to edit an existing country and not adding a new one. I would like to place this country in the Atlantic Ocean roughly with the U.S. to the West and Portugal to the East or in the Caribbean.

-How should I go about the longitude and latitude?
-Should I use weather data from existing countries?
-If I edit a country is Africa and want it in N.America, I would need to copy paste that info under N.America right?

Last edited by GiantYankee; 12-21-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: additional question
GiantYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I started to do that once, and it was so much work I ended up just creating a Caribbean league with a free Cuba and a free Venezuela.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I started to do that once, and it was so much work I ended up just creating a Caribbean league with a free Cuba and a free Venezuela.
For me trying to edit the XML files (notepad++) is so daunting because of the large size. I would prefer to edit within the game but that has given me problems in the past.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

It's so much easier now than it used to be. You can edit an existing country in-game, the easiest way to do it, then change their flag to your country's three digit code and then add cities. The Longitude/Latitude don't matter unless you're gonna be spending a bunch of time in google maps staring at your creation. The continent is also cosmetic, so it doesn't matter. Saves you time.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
So if you take the time to add the longitude and latitude Google maps will actually create this fake nation and put it on the map?

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
So if you take the time to add the longitude and latitude Google maps will actually create this fake nation and put it on the map?

No, it's just that you could see where the players from that nation were born, on Google Maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
No, it's just that you could see where the players from that nation were born, on Google Maps.
Meaning that you'd see that they were born under water?
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #8
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantYankee View Post
I've been reading that the best way to create a fictional country is to edit an existing country and not adding a new one. I would like to place this country in the Atlantic Ocean roughly with the U.S. to the West and Portugal to the East or in the Caribbean.

-How should I go about the longitude and latitude?
-Should I use weather data from existing countries?
-If I edit a country is Africa and want it in N.America, I would need to copy paste that info under N.America right?
Since OOTP went with the XML vs txts i only edit in new nations in game. Takes a few minutes. My recent new addition of Illinois is based off of USA with 100 Illinois cities. Some cities have elevated populations. I use weather from Chicago for the 12 teams.
For my Endor league it is also based off of USA and all cities compare to real city populations and weather is the same for that city.
examples
Endor City = Chicago both are in central US
Gotham City = NYC both are on east coast
Glenbard = LA both are on west coast.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #9
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
Meaning that you'd see that they were born under water?

Yes.

Quote:
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
It's so much easier now than it used to be. You can edit an existing country in-game, the easiest way to do it, then change their flag to your country's three digit code and then add cities. The Longitude/Latitude don't matter unless you're gonna be spending a bunch of time in google maps staring at your creation. The continent is also cosmetic, so it doesn't matter. Saves you time.
That's what I need to do. I tried editing the XML file for more hours than I care to admit yesterday and ended up with a parsing error. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Since OOTP went with the XML vs txts i only edit in new nations in game. Takes a few minutes. My recent new addition of Illinois is based off of USA with 100 Illinois cities. Some cities have elevated populations. I use weather from Chicago for the 12 teams.
For my Endor league it is also based off of USA and all cities compare to real city populations and weather is the same for that city.
examples
Endor City = Chicago both are in central US
Gotham City = NYC both are on east coast
Glenbard = LA both are on west coast.
Thanks Game. I need to stop micromanaging and edit within game. Do you create the league first in the nation you plan to edit or create the league after the edit?