Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 04-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Random debut pitching staff problem

I had some time to kill last night, so I created a random debut league set for 1910 and went through the draft. After the draft, I let the AI set up my organization for me. It did a pretty poor job, putting 17 position players and only eight pitchers on my 25-man roster. Not a big deal.

The problem is that three position players are being listed on my pitching staff. I'm at work, so I can't post a screenshot, but one of them is utility infielder Manny Alexander. When I go into Actions on the player profile for either of those three guys, there's an option to "Remove From Pitching Staff," but when I click it, nothing happens.

I simmed Spring Training and none of the three pitched, so it doesn't worry me too much. But I'm hoping there's a way I can fix this. My one thought is to remove them from the 25-man roster and then put them back on, but I didn't have time to try that before getting ready for work this morning.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I had some time to kill last night, so I created a random debut league set for 1910 and went through the draft. After the draft, I let the AI set up my organization for me. It did a pretty poor job, putting 17 position players and only eight pitchers on my 25-man roster. Not a big deal.

The problem is that three position players are being listed on my pitching staff. I'm at work, so I can't post a screenshot, but one of them is utility infielder Manny Alexander. When I go into Actions on the player profile for either of those three guys, there's an option to "Remove From Pitching Staff," but when I click it, nothing happens.

I simmed Spring Training and none of the three pitched, so it doesn't worry me too much. But I'm hoping there's a way I can fix this. My one thought is to remove them from the 25-man roster and then put them back on, but I didn't have time to try that before getting ready for work this morning.
Pitching staffs were much smaller back in that period, so an 8 man staff was what you should expect. You of course can change this to make it fit your preference.

I have been noticing the position player deal as part of the pitching staff as well. It's annoying, but I have yet to see the AI use anyone position player listed as a pitcher.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

The position players get on there because they appear in the Lahman pitching.csv file since they were emergency pitchers at least once IRL.

At some point OOTP may use this to create 2-way players and then they might pitch. I figure that is why they are there, the first step in creating real 2-way players. Step 2 has just not been implemented yet.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

A great, thanks for the input to both of you. I hadn't even thought of the 8-man staff thing since I started in 1910. And I see what you mean, Spritze. I'm not really worried about it since none of the three pitched in my 20 or so spring training games. Just something that caught my eye.

Thanks again!
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Manny Alexander, Pitcher

Thankfully it was one outing
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

In my 1st Random Debut I had a 38 yr old Mark Grace listed as a pitcher all because of this...
Mark Grace 2002 Game by Game Pitching Logs

Wish I could find a video for it. His impersonation of Mike Fetters is classic.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote