Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
eh`
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Training Help / Players losing Stars

2 semi-related things I wanted to ask about so I figured I'd just make 1 thread

I've played both FHM 4 & 5, but one thing I've never done is set training manually, I've always had the assistant do it. It's something I'd like to do manually now, but I'm a little lost as to how to get it working 'properly'.

How do I know when to focus on a player's OFF/DEF/Mental training? Should I change the training daily/weekly/monthly? Any basic help here would be very useful for me

Second, I have a question about players losing overall stars despite the fact that my development reports have them either gaining attributes or not losing attribute ratings due to age, etc.

Typically during my games in both 4 and 5, I get that players lose both stars to their ability and potential when my team is tanking and constantly losing games. However, I just played through a season in 5 as the Jets, secured 97 points in the regular season and made it to the second round of the playoffs.

Basically all my roster players lost a half a star in ability and potential and none of them gained an increase in their role abilities (ie Patrik Laine's offensive roles, such as Sniper and perimeter shooter, didn't increase despite an increase in his attributes via training). I'm surprised this happened due to having a relatively successful season. Is it because my AI assistant has handled training incorrectly? It's a frustrating occurrence because in another game playing as a different team I checked the Jets and going onto their tactics page players are improving and their player roles have higher ratings, while not having a much larger successful season in the standings.
eh` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Yeah the training is more of a pain in the butt that it is a help, due to the fact there's never been a clear method to the madness laid out by the developers.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:03 PM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

I generally don't change training more than a couple of times a year, unless I'm making significant roster moves that involve guys who do/should get extra training attention. Don't spread the bonus points thinner than about 10 per player, and focus on the younger guys and/or those with unfulfilled potential (if you want to cheat a bit, you can look at their offensive and defensive potentials in edit mode to see how much improvement they actually still have available.) Generally, focusing on older players isn't as effective, although it might stall a decline for a while. And mental development will continue on for a longer period than other categories, so you're OK to use that on slightly older players than you would in other areas.

The star ratings can change for a variety of reasons, most commonly your scouting becoming more accurate when the player joins your team or you scout him to the maximum level. Potential will also go down as players age and it becomes clear that they're not going to be able to reach the level originally predicted for them.

(And there was also a bug, fixed in this update, where there was a math error for a small range of overall talent that would temporarily result in fewer stars when attributes increased while he was in that range, before suddenly returning to the previous number of stars when he passed out of it. The number of players it affected was small, but they were very high-level, so it wasn't that uncommon to see if you were playing in the NHL.)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:27 AM   #4
eh`
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks Jeff, very informative and much appreciated!
eh` is offline   Reply With Quote