Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Hall of Fame Eligibility Question

I'm not sure if this classifies as a bug or not, but I have experienced this since OOTP16. I've gotten to the point where players are going to be eligible in 3-4 years. The problem I'm having is not all the players are showing up as eligible and I'm worried they won't be able to be voted on when the time comes. Numerous players have JAWS and HoF Monitor and Standard numbers that are higher than the ones listed and they don't show up. One year (1956) shows no new players as being eligible even though a few should surely be in the mix.

So, my question is, if they don't show up on the Hall of Fame Eligibility page does that mean they won't be voted on and I have to manually add them as a Commish? Or is this just a bug and they will be there? I attached a photo of the first eligible year (1955) and the retired players that should show up (Barrett Givens - JAWS: 42.3 & Peter Rylan - JAWS: 31.8) who both retired in the same year as the others.
Attached Images
Image Image 
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

If they don't show up on the eligible HOF page, then I don't expect them to show up on the ballot. Generally speaking, to appear on the ballot the game has to determine that they need to have at least a decent chance, and it seems like we've decided in these cases that Givens and Rylan don't meet that criteria.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #3
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
If they don't show up on the eligible HOF page, then I don't expect them to show up on the ballot. Generally speaking, to appear on the ballot the game has to determine that they need to have at least a decent chance, and it seems like we've decided in these cases that Givens and Rylan don't meet that criteria.
Ok, so then it's not a bug? That part is a relief at least, even if I don't agree.

I guess I'm thrown off because other people are on the ballot like Mark Reddick and Josh Marshall that have inferior numbers in every aspect. That doesn't make sense. A thought for future versions of OOTP that I may post in a thread is to have the Commish have the ability to add a player to the ballot by right-clicking on the retired player much like they can 'Induct Player to HoF'. Thanks for the quick response Matt.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Does anyone know if these have influence?
Attached Images
Old 01-21-2018, 11:54 PM   #5
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
Does anyone know if these have influence?
It doesn't appear to when it comes to eligible players on the ballot. Maybe those numbers have more to do with how the voting happens for certain candidates.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:47 AM   #6
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Have you checked to see if the players you are expecting to make the ballot are or are not below those numbers?
I have no idea what the default values are. I wonder if they are different in a historical league.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:56 AM   #7
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

There is a group of settings I cannot find:

The Hall of Fame Requirements for Automatic Induction section defines the minimum requirements for players to be automatically inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I cannot find the auto induction requirements part of the settings. I wonder of this has a role in determining if players make the ballot.

http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...e_requirements

The test would be to
1) Find those auto induction settings.
2) Turn off (uncheck) Manual HoF Voting and see if that exposes those requirements.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #8
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
There is a group of settings I cannot find:

The Hall of Fame Requirements for Automatic Induction section defines the minimum requirements for players to be automatically inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I cannot find the auto induction requirements part of the settings. I wonder of this has a role in determining if players make the ballot.

http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...e_requirements

The test would be to
1) Find those auto induction settings.
2) Turn off (uncheck) Manual HoF Voting and see if that exposes those requirements.
I seem to remember those auto induction settings in an older version of OOTP. I think they've been renamed as 'Milestone Settings' instead since the addition of HoF voting in OOTP.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yes, the milestone setting are no longer "automatic HOF induction" criteria. They can influence HOF voting, but not who actually shows up on the ballot.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yes, the milestone setting are no longer "automatic HOF induction" criteria. They can influence HOF voting, but not who actually shows up on the ballot.
So how is the ballot list determined and can the process be changed or adjusted by the user?
Old 01-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
So how is the ballot list determined and can the process be changed or adjusted by the user?
I don't think so. This is where my idea of having a Commish have the ability to add a player to the ballot would come in handy.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #12
Mr.Opinion
All Star Reserve

I was actually just looking through my hall of fame ballots and thought something looked strange.

Jorge Castro was on the ballot for six years, trending upwards and then....disappeared from the ballot. He has not been on in 2038 or 2039, but was mere votes away from getting elected. Strange.
Attached Images
Old 01-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #13
Mr.Opinion
All Star Reserve

dola,

However, if what you've stated is right and the game determined that he wasn't going to have a shot in the next few years, that might make a little more sense as we've had 7 inductees in the two years since he disappered from the ballot.
Attached Images
Old 01-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #14
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Opinion View Post
I was actually just looking through my hall of fame ballots and thought something looked strange.

Jorge Castro was on the ballot for six years, trending upwards and then....disappeared from the ballot. He has not been on in 2038 or 2039, but was mere votes away from getting elected. Strange.
What do you have set for "years on ballot" for the league? When a guy falls off the ballot like that, usually it means that he's used up his years on the ballot. It can also affect things if you have changed the years you have to wait to be on the ballot. So the default 10 years on ballot and 5 years wait means we look for anyone who retired between 5 and 15 years ago. If you change that to a 3 year waiting period, then we check guys who retired between 3 and 13 years ago, so if you change that in the middle of someone's eligibility then they can sometimes get bounced from the ballot.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
Mr.Opinion
All Star Reserve

Here is my current settings, nothing has changed since league inception. Sorry for jacking your thread thirdsaint!

Mike
Attached Images
Old 01-26-2018, 09:28 PM   #16
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Why does the game even need to determine which players are on the ballot?

Shouldn't anyone with the required amount of service time be on the ballot, as it is in real life?
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:51 PM   #17
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post

Shouldn't anyone with the required amount of service time be on the ballot, as it is in real life?
Ahem: Javier Vazquez would like a word. 14 big league seasons, and he was not put on the 2017 HoF ballot, and when they had a chance to correct the oversight in 2018, they left him off again.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:57 PM   #18
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Ahem: Javier Vazquez would like a word. 14 big league seasons, and he was not put on the 2017 HoF ballot, and when they had a chance to correct the oversight in 2018, they left him off again.
...And then there's Willie "3-Dog" Davis who was completely ignored on the 1985 ballot. It happens IRL probably more often than we notice.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #19
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:

Yeah, and I understand people will want there to be the possibility of an oversight as there is in real life, but I just also want the option for me to correct the oversight as commish if I choose. Is that so much to ask?