Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #21
Heisenberg
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I haven't tried 19th century before but do you mean that those games don't use real clubs and players?
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #22
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

real players not real teams .. long standing issue.
Baseball Man has a fantastic thing going. He'd be the guy to read up on how to do it so it's more realistic - historically.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #23
Heisenberg
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I see, is there any mod that adds historical teams?
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #24
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
I see, is there any mod that adds historical teams?
not that i know of from that time frame, but i've not played that era - so i'm not the best source.
Spritze has campaigned to make the pre-1901 team set-up as minor leagues (the way Negro Leagues and Fed. League is in the game now). He feels they could then make accurate teams and rosters if that were done. But that hasn't happened. Possibly because few players actually play that era of baseball it most likely will remain low in a long list for the developers.
So, basically to get realism, i think you'll have to do a lot of work and research. The man that seems to have this era within his grasp is the The Baseball man in this thread - http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=265057
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen

Last edited by mitchkenn; 05-06-2017 at 08:25 PM. Reason: aqdd link
Old 05-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #25
RMc
All Star Starter

I've long been campaigning for a Super Database, which contains all the major, minor and Negro League players (with an option to include Asians, i guess), so they can all be used in fictional universes. A tall order, I know, but...
Old 05-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #26
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMc View Post
I've long been campaigning for a Super Database, which contains all the major, minor and Negro League players (with an option to include Asians, i guess), so they can all be used in fictional universes. A tall order, I know, but...
spritze MAY work on such a thing later this year. (though it's not certain. Depends on a few variables out of his control.) His older database has much of what you are asking for, even though it marked for OOTP 11. the link LOOKs like it's still active. Of course, you must realize it hasn't been updated for over a year - so it's not current. It has lots of minor leaguers, many Negro Leaguers (not all in this years game), and some Asians .... many of us are hoping he updates it this year ....
link to last version i saw downloadable.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...&postcount=964

Old 05-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #27
alkeiper
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
you, Sir, are absolutely correct!!!
the only way i've found around this (and it's a time guzzler) is each year take all the minors player IDs and put them in a notepad, add the year behind the player ID, and mass import then to a historical game WITHOUT real minors included, merely my own minors.
Yes, it's a lot of work, but then i don''t have teams vanishing from affiliation and i have the structure i want.

There's actually an easy-ish way about this. It requires Baseball-reference.com, Excel and Notepad. Let's say you want the roster of the 1921 Beaumont Exporters.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/re...gi?id=502c5f0f

Scroll down to their roster. Look for the "Share & more" tab. Click "Get Table as CSV." Note that the table in CSV form contains the player IDs. Copy that (full) table. Paste it in Excel.

In Excel, there's an option under Data called "Text to Columns." You select that, choose delimited, and pick comma and whatever else is to the left/right of the player IDs. In this case, an equal sign. If you do that correctly, you get a column of only player IDs.

From here if you know Excel, you can insert a column and quickly print ",1921" to the right of each player ID. Do that for the first one, copy it down the table.

Now, copy only those columns, paste it in notepad. You'll have a bunch of blank spaces between your Player ID and years. Select one space and copy it. Use "Find and replace" to replace that space with nothing, and you can eliminate those spaces all at once.

That all seems a bit involved. But when you know the steps, you can copy an entire team, league, etc. in less than five minutes. And consider the types of tables you can find in Baseball-Reference, like this one.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/re...=STL&year=1940

The Cardinals had 776 players in their farm system in a single season. A few shortcuts, and you can automatically grab all those players in a text file with no fuss!
alkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #28
Lordofbrewtown
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I agree. Let us customize our historical games to our liking.

I think historical play has become way too constricted over the last two versions of OOTP. I used to love to create my own fictional historical leagues. Zero out all stats and erase all history. For instance, I could create a league in 1921 and all players would begin with no stats. Maybe I want the league to start with 12 teams instead of 16. Problem is, you can't do things like this anymore due to a bug fix. I'm glad the bug was fixed, but fixing that bug took away a very fun way of playing the game. Right now, as an example, say you created a league in 1918. When you create your league, Johnny Evers isn't going to exist, because he missed 1918-1921. But, when you get to 1922, Johnny is going to appear.....thing is, he's going to appear with all his statual glory. So, if you zeroed out stats and started fresh, your 1922 career leader board is going to be owned by Johnny Evers. Ole Johnny is going to have all those stats from 1902 through 1917, while the rest of your league only has the 4 seasons played.
Yes, I do the same things (actually I add more teams) and noticed the same thing a couple of versions ago. I did a search on all players who were out for the year, and used the import player function to import them in the start year, and then delete the history before starting the league.

I have the list of players you would need to import for a 1977 start if anyone wants them/needs to save time/research
Lordofbrewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:00 AM   #29
plannine
All Star Reserve

sprague,

You can change the MilbMaster.CSV and MiLBTeams.CSV files and remove any leagues/teams that you do not want, remove or change major league associations, and/or add/expand teams. I have expanded the federal league to last a few years longer, until the PCL starts, and eliminated all minor leagues below AAA.

While I haven't found a easy solution to getting rid of the one season minor leagues from having long careers, or to fill in missing season stats (for those who missed full seasons do to injury or military service) or to keep pitchers from becoming a fielder for a season due to games played and switch back the next season, it has made the latest version of the game, closer to what I want.

(But you need to keep a up to date backup, as with every update and patch for the game, things (csv files) get changed back)

Last edited by plannine; 05-27-2017 at 12:17 AM.
plannine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #30
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
You can change the MilbMaster.CSV and MiLBTeams.CSV files and remove any leagues/teams that you do not want, remove or change major league associations, and/or add/expand teams. I have expanded the federal league to last a few years longer, until the PCL starts, and eliminated all minor leagues below AAA.
I did some tests with this in OOTP17 and found that if you monkey with the csv files that you mention above, the "connection" between and OOTP and these files breaks when it comes to updating League Totals from year to year. I have NOT tested this in OOTP18, so I can't speak to whether this is still the case.

For add'l info, see http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...on#post4128185 and http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=272508
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #31
plannine
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I did some tests with this in OOTP17 and found that if you monkey with the csv files that you mention above, the "connection" between and OOTP and these files breaks when it comes to updating League Totals from year to year. I have NOT tested this in OOTP18, so I can't speak to whether this is still the case.

For add'l info, see http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...on#post4128185 and http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=272508
In my test (a little bit after 18 came out) for only expanding the Federal League to 1910-1920, the league stats came out, not perfect, but acceptable (to me) for a 'draft league' simulation. (Please note, I limited the sizes of the majors league rosters to 40 players (25/15 reserve) for the test simulation(covering 1900-1921). I haven't done any testing on the elimination of lower leagues, as it should not have any effect on the upper leagues, since most of the players would never have any impact on them.

FL League Stats

3.91 (2.44)
.267 (.285)

3.19 (2.61)
.260 (.268)

Last edited by plannine; 05-27-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: not sure if that was true.....
Old 05-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #32
plannine
All Star Reserve

Here is a second test, I ran this morning.

Since the quality players will be bought up by the NL/AL clubs (or the clubs who can afford to), the numbers still look realitsic.

Federal League

St. Louis Terriers

Baltimore Terrapins

St. Louis Terriers

Kansas City Packers

St. Louis Terriers
4.02 (2.44)
.267 (.285)

Baltimore Terrapins

Buffalo Blues
3.52 (2.61)
.267 (.268)

Brooklyn Tip-Tops

St. Louis Terriers

Brooklyn Tip-Tops

Buffalo Blues

Since I am not trying to recreate history to the decimal point (what fun would that be?), it works for me. There might be issues further down the pike, but I rarely make it past the late 50's before starting over in 1871.

Last edited by plannine; 05-27-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #33
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Since I am not trying to recreate history to the decimal point (what fun would that be?), it works for me. There might be issues further down the pike...
Totally get that but what I mean is that OOTP (in 17 anyway; no clue about 18) will cease to update your league totals from year to year. So unless you were to manually update your league totals each year (or at least from time to time), I would imagine that this would result in your minor leagues not progressing through the expected-historical ups & downs as it relates to batting average, homers, steals, K's, and - well - pretty much everything... IOW, you may not want your 1950's PCL to be accumulating stats as if it were the 1920's PCL (then again, maybe it doesn't matter)... Again, I haven't yet tested this in OOTP18 so maybe it's now a non-issue.

Last edited by thehef; 05-27-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: clarity
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote