Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on feeder leagues?
"I like the current system...it's ideal" 11 34.38%
"I could care less" 4 12.50%
i'd like to se the current system streamlined, or something new" 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #21
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

If it ain't broke... don't fix it. There are some thing's I'd like to see changed. I'd like the option to not create player pictures until the players actually leave the league. That would save me the aggravation of making uniforms for feeders (yes I am anal like that). They also hire managers, GMs, Scouts, and trainers. I'd like to see that go away and just have the three coaches like minor league teams.

Aside from that I'm fine with it. I play stats only and using feeders is a must for me because you have no clue who you are drafting without them. The AI created stats for AI created draftees are meaningless.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #22
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Here we go - and this is not pointed at you or anyone, but this excuse gets so lame with me.

Every year we get 1000's of requests for Markus to add more detail to the game, more depth, more options.

Markus adds them, we now have them.

We now have lots of people who don't want to be bothered with the details.

Details and depth in a game come with a price. That price is, setting it up the way "you the user" wants it. Markus can't preset that amount of customization because he'd never find a happy medium that every body likes.

Remember, "It's your game, play it your way". And most people do. And no 2 play the exact same, so who do you preset it for?

Feeders are complex but can be easy. When they were introduced I spent time digging through the settings for them. Like I said, I'm a detail nut. But it paid off, because I like all that depth and detail in OOTP and I'm not afraid to take the time to learn it so I can avoid the quirks that will surely arise with this level of complexity in a game.

When I use feeders I don't spend time setting up, testing, tinkering. I know what I want and I know how to set it up right at the beginning.

I disagree...Fm is a very complex game (even more so on many levels) but it is streamlined in a manner in which the user can jump right into a game...it's the actual game that's complex, not the setup. Many people don't want to setup a model train set....they want to jump in and play a complex, engaging and engrossing baseball GM simulation. I realize it takes time to implement a lot of these feature, and that they are complex...I am just talking about a way to make it easier for the user...I don't want the features removed. For instance...why not just include a full working feeder system with the rosters each year?

EDIT: That's one possible solution..but as I said ultimately I'd like to see a full fledged "ghost" system, which could really expand your "baseball world"

Last edited by PSUColonel; 12-22-2014 at 08:57 PM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #23
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
If it ain't broke... don't fix it. There are some thing's I'd like to see changed. I'd like the option to not create player pictures until the players actually leave the league. That would save me the aggravation of making uniforms for feeders (yes I am anal like that). They also hire managers, GMs, Scouts, and trainers. I'd like to see that go away and just have the three coaches like minor league teams.

Aside from that I'm fine with it. I play stats only and using feeders is a must for me because you have no clue who you are drafting without them. The AI created stats for AI created draftees are meaningless.
what does that have to do with feeders?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #24
Ike348
All Star Starter

I wish there was an option to get rid of the fake, generated stats if there are no feeders. I hate looking at stats by "All Levels", and seeing garbage generated stats counted in the total, stats that were never accumulated either in OOTP or in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #25
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
what does that have to do with feeders?
Feeders give you between 3-6 seasons of real game stats on your draft pool players. You can do better draft scouting and have a clue if the players are improving and what their abilities might be when you are playing stats only. I wouldn't play stats only without them.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #26
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
Feeders give you between 3-6 seasons of real game stats on your draft pool players. You can do better draft scouting and have a clue if the players are improving and what their abilities might be when you are playing stats only. I wouldn't play stats only without them.
I know..my point is he was going on about something not related to feeders.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #27
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I disagree...Fm is a very complex game (even more so on many levels) but it is streamlined in a manner in which the user can jump right into a game...it's the actual game that's complex, not the setup. Many people don't want to setup a model train set....they want to jump in and play a complex, engaging and engrossing baseball GM simulation. I realize it takes time to implement a lot of these feature, and that they are complex...I am just talking about a way to make it easier for the user...I don't want the features removed. For instance...why not just include a full working feeder system with the rosters each year?

EDIT: That's one possible solution..but as I said ultimately I'd like to see a full fledged "ghost" system, which could really expand your "baseball world"

I hear you. I was a little harsh with the statement of FM it is detailed and complex even in classic mode. I just would like some of the features of the full game to be available.

How does the feeder league wizard work? I haven't tried it.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #28
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I feel it creates way too many teams....I am using a standard MLB setup with internationals, and it generated between 300 and 400 teams. 4 college leagues, and 4 high school leagues.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #29
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Feeders are great if you ONLY use them to fill your leagues, I find they do a great job of giving you that late round gem. You need too many at first and I have to delete all of the guys who don't make it every year or so, but it's worth it to me for more realistic players over a long history.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #30
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

This may be true but it is a game that is setup only ONE WAY and that is THEIR WAY. There is nothing wrong with that but it certainly makes it easier when you build a game that will only be played one way. Hey, I love FM but I simply don't have the time to play it anymore. I barely have time to play OOTP and for the first time since I bought OOTP in 2002 I may not finish one season.

As has been stated with the options people ask Markus to add on top of all of the options it already had finding a "one size fits all" start up is impossible. I have no idea how the game sets up when starting a new game as far as feeders go. I guess the game could default to a "suggested" size feeder setup such as 120 feeder teams feed 30 MLB teams (maybe it already does) but no matter the mix someone will want it different. It will have too many college teams, too many HS teams, too many of this, too few of that, etc. etc. etc. I think the best one could hope for would be on creation a popup box could instruct you that "your league contains 30 teams and OOTP recommends making x number of feeders with a mix of X college and Y HS teams to feed that league". It would then be up to you to decide how to proceed.

As for the feeder leagues mine I simply followed the suggestions for how many teams were needed to populate my drafts and have not had issues with the system as it has evolved\improved over each version.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #31
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
This may be true but it is a game that is setup only ONE WAY and that is THEIR WAY. There is nothing wrong with that but it certainly makes it easier when you build a game that will only be played one way. Hey, I love FM but I simply don't have the time to play it anymore. I barely have time to play OOTP and for the first time since I bought OOTP in 2002 I may not finish one season.

As has been stated with the options people ask Markus to add on top of all of the options it already had finding a "one size fits all" start up is impossible. I have no idea how the game sets up when starting a new game as far as feeders go. I guess the game could default to a "suggested" size feeder setup such as 120 feeder teams feed 30 MLB teams (maybe it already does) but no matter the mix someone will want it different. It will have too many college teams, too many HS teams, too many of this, too few of that, etc. etc. etc. I think the best one could hope for would be on creation a popup box could instruct you that "your league contains 30 teams and OOTP recommends making x number of feeders with a mix of X college and Y HS teams to feed that league". It would then be up to you to decide how to proceed.

As for the feeder leagues mine I simply followed the suggestions for how many teams were needed to populate my drafts and have not had issues with the system as it has evolved\improved over each version.
I am not saying features should be taken away, and I feel the ability to customize a league is paramount. I also feel however, a working modern day replication of MLB and the baseball world "out of the box" should be a priority. I am not saying this is the only way to play OOTP....but what I AM saying, is what is best for sales. OOTP is now on STEAM and there are many more customers...with many more to come. I know the reputation OOTP has over at FOFC...and many of them rank ly quit OOTP due to the constant tweaking, setting up etc.... Most people want to just Fire the game up knowing they are taking full advantage of all the features with little to no work or adjustments.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #32
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
I am not saying features should be taken away, and I feel the ability to customize a league is paramount. I also feel however, a working modern day replication of MLB and the baseball world "out of the box" should be a priority. I am not saying this is the only way to play OOTP....but what I AM saying, is what is best for sales. OOTP is now on STEAM and there are many more customers...with many more to come. I know the reputation OOTP has over at FOFC...and many of them rank ly quit OOTP due to the constant tweaking, setting up etc.... Most people want to just Fire the game up knowing they are taking full advantage of all the features with little to no work or adjustments.
And that's all fine and dandy but....

Who's opinion of what is right should we take as default? yours?

The point of my post is that no matter what Markus sets as default someone will not be happy. I honestly don't know what default currently produces. Maybe you have real world numbers to compare to OOTP numbers? IE

How many pitchers have been drafted over the last 20 yrs IRL, how many in a totally vanilla OOTP? etc. etc for every position along with how many develop, change position while coming up and on and on and on. And then you have to base this on hundreds if not thousands of test games not just what you see in the one or two leagues you create with your version.

Has to be totally vanilla because once you change even one setting it becomes impossible to make any real comparison if you want it to be an out of the box setup.

I've been a member of fofc for probably 12 years or so and yeah some have given up over issues that are so miniscule as to be silly. The thing is I have always played OOTP without making adjustments to player creation/development trusting Makus has done more testing than all of us combined. The only thing I have ever adjusted is league total modifiers to keep stats where they should be. Used to do this manually and now since about v9 or 10 OOTP does that for me too. This has worked well for me (I know it's just me). The trouble comes a lot of the time (yes guys do come up with things that need fixing, tweaking and that grows the game) when a guy is upset because the avg MLB player is 27 yrs 6 months but in his league they are 28yrs 1 month, or 26yrs 10 months and he starts playing with the modifiers to "fix" this huge issue.

Really though if a guy plays the game at default he is going to get a believable world. Not perfect, believable. If you use feeders as others have stated here its not hard to do the math to come up with the proper number of feeder teams you will need to populate the draft. And yes, if the OOTP doesn't already do it it should detect how many teams you have at MLB and create the "suggested" size feeder setup for you as determined by the math in the manual. After that with a game this complex it is going to have to be up to you.

Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote