Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 09-28-2014, 03:41 AM   #1
Donners
Bat Boy

Seven questions from an OOtP newcomer

I started playing OOtP 14 recently, with little previous experience with the series (or indeed the sport). After ~18 hours of play time I've managed to get across the basics of the game, but there's a few things which seem to be eluding me.

I'd appreciate some assistance with these issues from people more familiar with the game/sport than I.

Thanks in advance!

1) Contract demands confuse me greatly. For instance, I traded for a 36-year-old 2B who was on $1.7M per season (mostly to get rid of my useless SP who was on $10M). The 2B performed well (batting .333), despite a single-star ability rating, so I looked to re-sign him for another year. His demand was $18M a year for 6 years. I didn't dare test out how low he'd go, but it was certainly way above what I was expecting.

Is this a situation where I should just assume the ability rating is way off and he is a great player, or is this just a ridiculous ambit claim?

In general, should I avoid long, expensive contracts for players aged 30+ (particularly noting the point below)? I tend to trade off people as soon as their performances drop - I just got rid of Jose Reyas, on $22M a season and batting .270, for a decent pitcher. The fans are upset, but it strikes me as being the best thing for the team. (at least I thought he was a decent pitcher - his rating just dropped from 2.5 to 0.5 stars. Huh???)

2) I've had player abilities drop drastically, such as from four stars to one in a season, often leaving me saddled with an overpriced player for years. Is this likely to be a sudden decline in skills rather than a scouting error for an established player?

3) I use the AI to set lineups and pitching staff, and lately they've been picking MRs as starters, and leaving SPs as mid-relievers, even when the MRs have stamina of ~9 and the overlooked starters are 13+.

Is this because the MRs are simply better than the SPs?

Should I just change the MRs to the SP role?

4) Is there any way to see which of your team's players were on All-Star teams? I went through the League Awards and Team History screens and couldn't find it. I know I can go through individual player histories, but I wanted to be able to quickly see which of my team's players had been All-Stars.

5) I get the AI to set lineups, depth charts and pitching staff. Does it make common errors which I should look out for and manually correct?

6) After the first couple of rounds of the draft, almost all players seem to have single-star potential. Is it worth manually choosing players from there, or is it better to just let the AI finish it? If the former, what should I be looking for?

7) Can the AI be trusted to re-sign staff at minor league teams? They seem to let a lot go but they replace them, so I'm not sure if they're trying to improve things or are just bad at re-signing.

Last edited by Donners; 09-28-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Donners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like your scout is terrible at evaluating talent from other teams.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

I'll try to give you some useful advice, others may disagree, however these work for me.

1) Allowing that you may have a bad scout, signing a 36 year old is rarely a good idea. Particularly for more than one year. Let these guys go, then see who is available during FA. If you lack funds, wait until the Winter Meetings to go after folks. If they are still expensive wait until everyone is re-scouted on 12/31. Many players drop or increase at that time or on 1/31 (not sure if this is still a valid date in OOTP14 and later). You can still pickup decent players at this time, not stars.

2) Read up on the star system, it is not all that intuitive. However players do drop (particularly after nasty injuries) and bad years. Don't get overly reliant on stars.

3) Stamina is the least needed rating for a starter once he meets minimum requirements. These will depend on which rating system you use, so I can't give you a flat answer, other than a 'yellow' number (most of the time).

4) Player history, I guess. Not something I look at myself.

5) You won't die a horrible death if you let the AI set your lineups and rotation, however you CAN do better. Learning how is the biggest point of the game and there are too many little things to mention in a quick post.

6) Lots of player drafting strategies out there. The ones I use are:

Position players: sort by fielding position rating and then look for decent contact, eye and power potential. The thought here is that getting a player who can help you with a glove is a solid start. Then hope for random improvements in hitting so he's at least average will give you a solid player.

Pitching: I look for control and high ground ball percentage, then take whatever else I can get. Again random talent bumps and randomly developing another pitch can make a huge difference.

7) Resign all your coaches yourself. Around mid-year look at all your coaches and decide who is worthy of a renewal. Let the other guys walk. When they walk, you'll get an email. Go out and replace him then.
Works for me.

Hope that helps and you enjoy the game. There's a lot of good advice and even more terrible advice in this board, so read up.

And play, mostly play.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Donners
Bat Boy

Thanks for the advice.

As you suggested, simply playing more has helped things fall into place.

I've definitely learned not to rely on star ratings - in my current season, two of my one-star players were all-stars.
Donners is offline   Reply With Quote