Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Editing pitches

I have a historical league from OOTP 11 that I converted to 12 via the demo and now converted to 13 after purchasing 13. I just noticed that Jeff Innis is listed as having a knuckleball, which he did not throw in real life. I'd like to change that, but when I switch to commissioner mode to edit him, I can only see where I can edit pitch ratings. I see no check boxes for what pitches he throws.

Any sugguestions/thoughts?
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Pitches throwed are in the master.csv file. I don't know how often the game checks this for changes.

I think only when a player is first created. But this thinking could be in error.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I have a historical league from OOTP 11 that I converted to 12 via the demo and now converted to 13 after purchasing 13. I just noticed that Jeff Innis is listed as having a knuckleball, which he did not throw in real life. I'd like to change that, but when I switch to commissioner mode to edit him, I can only see where I can edit pitch ratings. I see no check boxes for what pitches he throws.

Any sugguestions/thoughts?
Keep scrolling down, you'll see his pitches.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just noticed that Jeff Innis is listed as having a knuckleball, which he did not throw in real life.
False premise. Jeff Innis in fact threw a sidearm knuckleball. However, he didn't develop it until the very end of his MLB years. He then worked on it more extensively once he was sent down to the minors, and he threw it for two years in AAA before he retired from baseball.

Unless you're going to have players retire according to history in your league, then you may want to allow Innis to keep the knuckleball or give it to him once your league reaches 1994.

However, the pitches in OOTP don't take into account when they were developed in a pitcher's career. So if you're a stickler for accuracy, they're a non-starter anyway.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
False premise. Jeff Innis in fact threw a sidearm knuckleball. However, he didn't develop it until the very end of his MLB years. He then worked on it more extensively once he was sent down to the minors, and he threw it for two years in AAA before he retired from baseball.

Unless you're going to have players retire according to history in your league, then you may want to allow Innis to keep the knuckleball or give it to him once your league reaches 1994.

However, the pitches in OOTP don't take into account when they were developed in a pitcher's career. So if you're a stickler for accuracy, they're a non-starter anyway.
Sorry, I was 10 years old when I watched Innis on the Mets and I knew back then he didn't throw a knuckleball. I don't want him throwing one in my OOTP league and right now the game has him throwing one 75% of the time. I appreciate your input, though.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Keep scrolling down, you'll see his pitches.
There are no checkboxes. Here are pics of his bio showing that he has a knuckleball and of what I see in the player editor. I changed his knuckleball ratings to 0 hoping that this will keep the game from having him throw them 75% of the time, but I haven't played a game yet since I changed it. My fear is that he'll keep throwing knuckleballs, but they'll be terrible and he'll get lit up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59011566@N08/6963089404/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59011566@N08/6963089914/

Last edited by BIG17EASY; 04-24-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There are no checkboxes. Here are pics of his bio showing that he has a knuckleball and of what I see in the player editor. I changed his knuckleball ratings to 0 hoping that this will keep the game from having him throw them 75% of the time, but I haven't played a game yet since I changed it. My fear is that he'll keep throwing knuckleballs, but they'll be terrible and he'll get lit up.

Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 7.07.50 AM | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 7.08.16 AM | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
If you zero out his knuckleball pitch, then he will not have that pitch. Not sure what you're afraid of. Just leave them blank, they don't need zeroes.

BTW - I didn't say there was check boxes.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 04-24-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
If you zero out his knuckleball pitch, then he will not have that pitch. Not sure what you're afraid of. Just leave them blank, they don't need zeroes.

BTW - I didn't say there was check boxes.
Not afraid of anything. Just wanted to make sure giving him a 0 for knuckleball ratings wouldn't make him throw horrible knuckleballs.

I was asking if anyone knows why I couldn't see the checkboxes for pitches. I know you didn't say there would be any, but my initial post said that I saw the pitch ratings but not checkboxes, so I assumed you were talking about checkboxes since that's what I was looking for. My fault for assuming.

I just played a game with his knuckleball ratings at 0 and he didn't throw a single one while facing four batters in an inning, so that did the trick. Thanks for the help, sorta.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

any pitches with a 0 rating means they won't throw that pitch, there are not check boxes just the pitch types, so setting it to 0 means they don't have that pitch
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
any pitches with a 0 rating means they won't throw that pitch, there are not check boxes just the pitch types, so setting it to 0 means they don't have that pitch
Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. The OOTP 13 manual shows check boxes in the player editor, so that's why I was confused. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just wanted to make sure giving him a 0 for knuckleball ratings wouldn't make him throw horrible knuckleballs.
The knuckleball is perfectly effective in OOTP. It still comes down to stuff, movement, and control, along with the rating for the individual pitch.

If he has a 1 or 2 for the knuckleball, then understandably you might want to limit it. But its slower speed and the fact that it's a knuckleball don't mean that it isn't effective in the game.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The knuckleball is perfectly effective in OOTP. It still comes down to stuff, movement, and control, along with the rating for the individual pitch.

If he has a 1 or 2 for the knuckleball, then understandably you might want to limit it. But its slower speed and the fact that it's a knuckleball don't mean that it isn't effective in the game.
I realize this. My concern was that by giving it a zero rating to try to get him to stop throwing it would instead just make it an ineffective pitch while he continued to throw it.

My issue was never that I thought a knuckleball was a bad pitch to throw. It's that Innis didn't throw it during his big league career and I didn't want him to throw it in my historical league. In my MLB quickstart league, R.A. Dickey throws tons of knuckleballs and I love it.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My fear is that he'll keep throwing knuckleballs, but they'll be terrible and he'll get lit up.

Quote:
Not afraid of anything.
Sure had me fooled.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
VIBaseball
Bat Boy

Quote:

I just spoke with Jeff Innis himself, and he told me that he threw the knuckleball a total of 30 to 40 times in his big-league career.
VIBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote