Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I decided to make a simplified transaction file for the 19th century. Because even though retrosheet may have a date correct i wonder if its a problem within ootp. What i mean is and correct if im wrong but doesnt a player that unretires go to the last team he played for? To me that seems wrong. Players should be unretiring and going to the first team they played for after unretiring. But if either team doesnt exist anymore i can see how that might confuse the game.

So i decided to have all players who signed with a new team released on Dec 31st. Excluding players a who missed a year or their team folded. Obviously i will have to sign those players to correct team on Jan 1st of the new year.

It sounds complicated but i think it will be simple once im done. Im not gonna have exact player trades but rather just the date they were released from a team and the date they signed with a new team. Because basically thats all i want is players on correct teams. I think having accurate transactions and schedules is vital to 19th century play as far as being historically accurate and playable. If you have the same rosters in the same time as real life then there should be less chance of teams running out of players or a team's pitcher more games cause i didnt use the as played schedules. I always use the as played schedules because imo the results are more accurate but i could be wrong.
It's a bit of a dilemma. The as-played schedules tend to play havoc with pitcher fatigue before 1876. Teams would go on the road for extended periods, play every day, and use the same pitcher. You might have the same guy scheduled to pitch six days in a row. At least they took Sundays off. Since we can't manually adjust fatigue, we have to give the change pitchers some extra work and either play out the games or sim a day at a time.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #22
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

True but if he can do it in real life he should be able to do it in ootp. What i mean is if he pitched a lot in real life he should be able to do it in the game because his endurance should be rated high. But then how does the game rate a pitcher who pitched great but whos team folded or started midseason. How does he compare to an average pitcher who pitched the whole season? But the main reason i use as played schedules is that when used with the correct transactions it seems to help eliminate the dreaded not enough players on active roster message.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #23
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True but if he can do it in real life he should be able to do it in ootp. What i mean is if he pitched a lot in real life he should be able to do it in the game because his endurance should be rated high. But then how does the game rate a pitcher who pitched great but whos team folded or started midseason. How does he compare to an average pitcher who pitched the whole season? But the main reason i use as played schedules is that when used with the correct transactions it seems to help eliminate the dreaded not enough players on active roster message.
But he just can't do it. Even the highest stamina rating (and all of my 1871 pitchers get the highest stamina rating) can't handle that third game in a row. 30 pitches is it. After that he starts tiring, and after 50 he's exhausted with no bullpen available. Three in a row or the fourth in five days just doesn't work. At some point, I'm going to go in and edit the schedules to eliminate that. Until then, I'll just give Bill Stearns and Denny Mack the occasional extra start.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I know some positional players would pitch occasionally but yeah you would have to do it manually. But in past versions i always kept fatigue and injuries low. I didnt know you couldnt change fatigue.
As long as they play the same amount of games against the same teams i dont see any problem with editing the schedule a bit.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #25
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Most of the spare pitchers played another position. The call to the bullpen would go to right field, and the players would just trade places. OOTP doesn't do that, and I wouldn't expect it to. The ideal solution is to be able to edit out fatigue as you edit out injuries, but that's not likely to happen anytime soon.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #26
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

As it turns out, the schedule can be edited any time, even the day before. That will make it easier to move some of these games.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #27
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

If i check players miss season according to history will that player show up on his previous team or free agency? I dont want a player to show playing for a team that he didnt play for in his player history.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #28
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Would it be hard for Markus to hve unretired players go to their new teams instead of the last team they played for or at least to the free agency pool. Im wondering if this is something that is keeping 19th century transactions from working. A player cant go to a team that folded and no longer exists. It seems when a team that the player played for no longer exists the computer places him on any team.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #29
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
But he just can't do it. Even the highest stamina rating (and all of my 1871 pitchers get the highest stamina rating) can't handle that third game in a row. 30 pitches is it. After that he starts tiring, and after 50 he's exhausted with no bullpen available. Three in a row or the fourth in five days just doesn't work. At some point, I'm going to go in and edit the schedules to eliminate that. Until then, I'll just give Bill Stearns and Denny Mack the occasional extra start.
I'm crossing over a little hear from the thread I started... but I see y'all or having the same issue I'm having with the schedule.

I guess one needs to edit/create their own particular 19th century schedule. Like only play 3 or 4 games each week and setup a 2-man rotation. Play like 70 to 80 plus games a season.
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #30
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I just start in 1876. It makes life much easier. By then, the teams would generally play Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday, which OOTP handles just fine with a one man rotation.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #31
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The ability to add and delete leagues from an association should make life easier. We change the National Association to the National League in 1876 and then add a new league for the American Association in 1882. The Union and Players Leagues would be independent, except that I'd like for Players League stats to be included in major league stats. You can disband the association in 1892 and go back to the single league, adding the American League as an associated league in 1901. That covers everything except interleague play without adding and deleting subleagues and screwing up league histories. The way I play, I'll never get to the interleague era anyway.
So I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. I'm in 1883 in my solo league now, and for next season I need to create the UA, make it a separate major league, and then delete it after the season?

I don't suppose the game can handle a third sub-league, can it? If so, that'd be ideal.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #32
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckstein 4 Prez View Post
So I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. I'm in 1883 in my solo league now, and for next season I need to create the UA, make it a separate major league, and then delete it after the season?

I don't suppose the game can handle a third sub-league, can it? If so, that'd be ideal.
I think that's right. An alternative would to be to make the UA a division of the AA so that the stats will count as part of MLB. I'd be more tempted to do that with the PL than with the UA.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #33
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think that's right. An alternative would to be to make the UA a division of the AA so that the stats will count as part of MLB. I'd be more tempted to do that with the PL than with the UA.
Oh, right. Because the game will only total the stats from MLB. Makes sense.

The only thing about that is that I'd like to add the postseason series from 1884-92 and I doubt there's a way to make the game ignore the UA or PL. I'll have to think about this some more. In my ideal world, I'd be able to make the stats from the UA count, but if they don't I can probably live with that. Tougher to just live with it in the PL, but at the rate I'm going I have a while before I need to worry about it.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #34
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckstein 4 Prez View Post
Oh, right. Because the game will only total the stats from MLB. Makes sense.

The only thing about that is that I'd like to add the postseason series from 1884-92 and I doubt there's a way to make the game ignore the UA or PL. I'll have to think about this some more. In my ideal world, I'd be able to make the stats from the UA count, but if they don't I can probably live with that. Tougher to just live with it in the PL, but at the rate I'm going I have a while before I need to worry about it.
Why not set your leagues to "no series" and just manually scedule them when you need too?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #35
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why not set your leagues to "no series" and just manually scedule them when you need too?
Good point. That might be better for the Temple Cup, since it was treated as a series of exhibition games.