Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - 3D Models
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2023, 09:38 PM   #1
thehef
Hall Of Famer

changing the default 3D ballparks

First off, this doesn't refer to making any modifications to existing 3D models. Rather, I just want to change the default minor park that can be found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Out of the Park Baseball 24\data\ballparks\models\default_minor.

IOW, when I go to play out a minor league game, I don't want to see the modern-ish part that is OOTP's default minor league 3D park. Rather, since I'm in the early 1900's I want to choose some other ballpark that better fits the time period.

I thought it migth be as simple as going into the folder referenced above, renaming the sub-folder default_minor to default_minor_bkp, and then copying in a 3D minor league ballpark folder such as Greenlawn_Park and renaming that as default_minor. But that didn't work... I got some sort of error in OOTP, and then it reverted to the 2D image of the Phillies ballpark...

Does anybody have instructions for that, and/or is there a thread that describes how to do it?
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 01:27 AM   #2
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

The .pod file is not publicly available to be changed as far as I know.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 04:08 AM   #3
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
The .pod file is not publicly available to be changed as far as I know.
What's the .pod file?
Old 11-14-2023, 07:17 AM   #4
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Technically, it stands for "Plain Old Documentation" or some such nonsense. It's an ancient file structure often used for data files you're not supposed to tinker with by many developers. That's not the most useful information, I understand. BUT...it explains why all the default MLB/Korean stadiums are .pod files.

I've looked at the files in a text editor...bunch of gobbledygook, very few actual words there. I'm sure it's proprietary 3d stuff guys like you and I aren't supposed to understand. Sure as <ahem> works for me. I think your problem is not solvable. Sorry...
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:22 PM   #5
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
Technically, it stands for "Plain Old Documentation" or some such nonsense. It's an ancient file structure often used for data files you're not supposed to tinker with by many developers. That's not the most useful information, I understand. BUT...it explains why all the default MLB/Korean stadiums are .pod files.

I've looked at the files in a text editor...bunch of gobbledygook, very few actual words there. I'm sure it's proprietary 3d stuff guys like you and I aren't supposed to understand. Sure as <ahem> works for me. I think your problem is not solvable. Sorry...
Thanks for the background. That's a bummer that we can't change the defaults. I seem to recall that it was really easy to change the 2D defaults... It's kind of immersion-busting to play out a - say 1920's era - minor league game with the default when you are accustomed to the really cool historical ones... And the only other choice is to assign a 3D park to every minor league team whose games you might play out. Not appealing choices...
Old 11-15-2023, 12:18 AM   #6
itsmb8
All Star Starter

The default 3d parks are fantastic and very easily modded to enhance realism in the way of custom ads and custom fields... However, the one part that bugs me is the seating rows look so spread out. It just doesn't do a good job of portraying the sold-out feeling when in an important game.

MLB Ballpark Ads

My uniform templates!
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:59 AM   #7
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8 View Post
The default 3d parks are fantastic and very easily modded to enhance realism in the way of custom ads and custom fields... However, the one part that bugs me is the seating rows look so spread out. It just doesn't do a good job of portraying the sold-out feeling when in an important game.
I guess we see it differently. While yes the new 3d crowd is a bit spread out I think it does a much better job of filling the space than the old model. I play on an ultrawide monitor and when the widgets disappear, to my eye, the ballpark comes to life. The fans in the crowd look a little like the figures in old "Fischer Price" toys, but at least they have actual heads, arms, and bodies that have added much better movement. I've always played my Cubs in the NL but with the new "play everyone" schedule of 2023 I played at Fenway. In OOTP Wrigley is cool but feels a bit open with the way the outfield section is lower to the ground. Fenway, with it's more enclosed build, had an amazing spatial feel to it.

I'm not sure how much more detailed they can/will go? I think many of the graphics issues reported this year were because this model used more system resources. At least it seemed many times the advice for users posting issues was to turn down the crowd effects to find what would work on that user's system. Of course I'm not a coder so have no idea if there are better ways to code in the crowd that would make it less system draining? I'm only doing what internet users do best, speculating.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote