Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 10-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Player origin percentages historically

I was wondering if anyone had a file on what percentage of MLB countries from each nation were in the league historically. I think it is a spreadsheet from questdog that I have which has the list from 1871 to 1921 but I can't seem to find anything else on it.

I have found a thread of percentage of foreign players which is helpful but I haven't found something that says US 95%, Ireland 2%, etc. Anyone know of a file like this? I am mainly using this for fictional leagues with a real world setup in eras before the 2000's.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Working on the spreadsheet now. I am up to 1940. I can post if anyone is interested.

I am taking a little different approach than default player origins. I am setting default to 100% US and using established international free agents to add other nationalities after the game began. The percentages may not be exactly historical but from the data it looks more like in the 1900 to 1910 period when it says 2 from say Canada it may be the same 2 people over several years. So now I add just a few international players each year instead of say 2% Canadians each year. Hopefully the number is right to approximate the historical composition of players. So the spreadsheet has a decade overall percentage for each nationality and a percentage of foreign players (players from each foreign country/ total foreign players) to get the percentage of international established free agents to generate.

That is the other part that may not be working just right. I am not doing a draft yet so I auto independent league free agents and international agents each year starting in 1902 (started in 1902 with the ambition of playing to modern day adjusting the league structure each year). I have no idea if I might institute the draft with the minors around 1920 or if I will introduce minors slowly like they did historically or just set up the modern day version in the 20's and start a draft about 40 years early because the game doesn't seem to add players well with reserve clause and just generating free agents each year.

I kind of don't like that young players just sit on reserve rosters and develop instead of having A-E leagues but I am not sure the independent minor leagues with MLB purchasing players works the way I want it to. The budgets are way out of whack using OOTP historical finance settings but the cash has been kind of low for purchasing players in the minors when I have tried that system.

Last edited by Biggio509; 10-07-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

I'd be interested in seeing your results, but I have to wonder about the utility of such a spreadsheet. After all, it's not like the 47 Irish-born players in major-league history all came up from the Irish triple-A league. That information might be useful for creating fictional players, but those aren't the kind of players that would be subject to international scouting. They may have been born abroad, but they grew up in North America.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I'd be interested in seeing your results, but I have to wonder about the utility of such a spreadsheet. After all, it's not like the 47 Irish-born players in major-league history all came up from the Irish triple-A league. That information might be useful for creating fictional players, but those aren't the kind of players that would be subject to international scouting. They may have been born abroad, but they grew up in North America.
Yeah that is very true. Some of them may have been cricket players but they weren't discovered by some guy taking a transatlantic cruise to scout Ireland and then took a ferry and train to the Austro Hungarian empire.

I am trying now to work in the game settings. The big problem is players are created according to the quality of the players of the country by today's ranking. So a lot of the foreign are scrubs due to the low baseball quality. I am not sure if I should just consider these second nationality guys not that it makes a bit of difference before the 2000's and the WBC. Although completely unrealistic, it does get the mix in. I think I am being too anal about history here. I haven't seen it go to even 4% yet. If I remember right it may not even go up to 5% through the 30's. So I think I am fine tuning the game a little too much.

Kind of took a pause to play a modern era game. DIdn't do the sim 5 or 10 years and it is rough not having farm products for awhile. I will probably continue this at some point and post. I am doing well around 1911 in my game starting in '01. I kind of gave up on simming the 19th century manually adding and contracting like I used to do. The finances are way too big in that game and I have played the modern game in so long I am relearning a lot. So it kind of has me sucked in even if it is frustrating as hell right now having a maybe .500 team with any prospects at A ball Then looking at stats and scouts telling you two different stories along with getting the free agent who was great last year and can't hit water if he fell out of a boat today.

Last edited by Biggio509; 10-18-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

If all you want to do is have some foreign-born players who play as well as native-born Americans, that's no problem. It's incredibly easy to change the baseball quality ratings for countries - you can either make changes in the xml file or else make changes in the game's nation editor. So you can make Ireland a baseball powerhouse without too much trouble (just remember to re-import the world default file if you want your changes to the xml file included in an existing game).

The one caveat I'd add is that most of the standard OOTP name files are more appropriate for leagues that are based in foreign countries, rather than for foreigners who come to North America and learn how to play baseball. In particular, the Irish nameset has some first names that are really Irish, like Seóirse and Naoise. Those types of Gaelic names weren't popular in the 19th century, and any kid who came to the US with a name like Laoghaire would quickly discover the advantages of being called "Larry." Not to toot my own horn here, but I designed my American ethnic namesets for users who want their pre-1960 fictional leagues filled with players who had names that were appropriate to the era - so, e.g. Irish last names that were identifiably Irish but first names that were more common to the Irish-American community at the time (Michael yes, Maolruanaí no).
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote