Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
Cheesehead1964
Major Leagues

Anyone have luck with a theme team?

My Barnstormers had decent luck with a championship and made game 7 in the Gold final. Been a dog in Perfect League though.

My Bees have been a strong team but I’m tired of their playoff luck so after completing Brewers Live and the Wallbangers missions I thought I’d give a Brewers theme team a try.

Have some okay cards but not sure I can find enough to make it super competitive.

Anyone have luck with a theme team?

(Accidentally posted this in Perfect Team 19 - reposting)
Cheesehead1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
Edster007
All Star Starter

I'm doing a 1970's theme. Getting started was easy the for me, the difficult part is upgrading. The team is ftp and I am sitting on a decent amount of PP but there are only so many options. I like the challenge and test of patience given the smaller pool of players. I don't know if I am having luck or not but as I mentioned I like the challenge even when it comes with a little frustration.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Doing well with my Red Sox only team. So well I just got into Perfect League … not sure that's a good thing though … no, not sure about that at all

Just my Facegen Pack: https://www.mediafire.com/file_premi..._Pack.zip/file
LansdowneSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:49 PM   #4
<Pion>
All Star Starter

My Dodger team made it to Perfect level in PT19. I’ve been tinkering with a Dodger team in PT20 that is at Gold. Haven’t spent as much time with it this time around.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:29 AM   #5
dodger300
Minors (Triple A)

My all Dodger team won a diamond league WS.But I am getting killed in perfect.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:40 AM   #6
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger300 View Post
My all Dodger team won a diamond league WS.But I am getting killed in perfect.
You've been stuck in the Whale League. I'm about to play you right now and I think I played you last season, where you gave me tons of trouble compared to the other non-playoff teams.

DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

guess it depends on the definition of luck....

my f2p / pre-ww2 team has done pretty well.... 12 full seasons, made the post-season 6 of those.

-Iron level - one season, made playoffs, lost in LCS
-Bronze level - 2 seasons, made playoffs once, lost in LCS
-Silver level - 5 seasons, made playoffs twice, lost LDS once, won WS once
-Gold level - 4 seasons, made playoffs twice, lost LDS once, lost LCS once

now in Diamond league and leading my division... so far so good... haven't made it to perfect level yet, but I figure it's a journey not a race
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdowneSt View Post
Doing well with my Red Sox only team. So well I just got into Perfect League … not sure that's a good thing though … no, not sure about that at all
Mine has not done as well. I do spend most of my time with the Bail Bondsmen, though.

I can recommend not every trying a One Hit Wonders only team, btw.

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
Cheesehead1964
Major Leagues

My Brewers are doing okay at the moment in Diamond.

Not ton of card options, although I'm allowing players that played for the Brewers but may have a card for another team (Grienke on Diamondbacks, Aaron on Braves, and Fingers on Padres to give a few examples).

Have a few PP saved up and saving for the Molitor diamond card....
Cheesehead1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
Drezik
Minors (Double A)

My Tigers only team has been OK - was consistently in the playoffs and made it up to Perfect but not having much success there. No championships.

My defense only team has been alright. Won a gold championship but stuck in a rut at diamond level until I upgrade my pitching.

Drezik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #11
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

My Cincinnati theme team has gone up to Gold. I think Diamond will probably be about its limit, but I'd be happy with that. It helps that I've opened it up to players who were born in Cincinnati/Dayton/N. Kentucky (hello Clemens and Schmidt!) and I'm not hung up about absolutely having Reds cards. For example, I have 91 Bret Boone (Mariners) and 90 Dave Parker (Pirates) because they are still Reds greats (and Parker qualifies as a Cincinnati native, anyway). For that matter, all the good Griffeys are Mariners, too.

I do find that theme teams all seem to hit an equilibrium and you have one of three choices:

1. Open up the theme to bring better cards into the mix
2. Stagnate
3. Blow it up and start over (I'm doing this right now, in fact).

My Raleigh theme team in 19 was a perfect example. It was originally just supposed to be players who played for the old Raleigh Capitals minor league team and players born in Raleigh or who played for N.C. State. That proved unworkable pretty quickly, so I opened it up to players born in Eastern North Carolina as well as those who played for UNC, ECU, Duke, etc. Soon, I had 100,000 PP earned and no one to spend it on, so I opened it up to all players from North Carolina. Finally, I was willing to take anyone who played on a minor league team in N.C., which is how I ended up with Jason Varitek (Port City Roosters!) as my starting catcher.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #12
Magus978
All Star Starter

I started out only wanting to use NL East players. Then it turned into National League only. Then I said the hell with it and abandoned the theme when I felt the team became stagnant.

Problem is we're still stagnant, but at least we're coming off back to back wildcards.

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

My Pirates did get to Diamond in OOTP19, but that was pretty much their top limit as they were terrible in Diamond. They were not bad in Silver and Gold winning a championship in Silver and getting to the championship in Gold. In 20 they have not fared as well. They got to Gold, but did not do well and got relegated back to Silver. I do allow player that played for the Pirates, rather than just allowing cards of players whose card is with the Pirates. Unlike the Yankees there just are not enough player cards with the Pirates to field a decent team. Especially when it comes to pitching.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #14
Kushiel
All Star Starter

I tried doing a Ranger theme but there is just not enough talent to make it even interesting.
Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #15
neugey
All Star Reserve

My F2P's have been stuck in bronze, so not really. But Roger Clemens threw a perfect game for the Rockets earlier this week, so there is that!

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #16
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

My "two way players" team actually did surprisingly well in Bronze, but they've been killed in Silver. I think they've reached their limits, though, since basically the two-way guys better that my current roster are only guys like Ruth, who might be a little out of their price range.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #17
Charlatan
All Star Starter

My Motown team is restricted to players that were active in what I defined as the "Motown era" - 1959-1988. They've been in the playoffs a few years and are now doing ok in Gold. It's quite a challenge when you restrict yourself to certain era players, but I find it makes things interesting (plus, this era means I'm basically using players who were active when I was a kid, so I enjoy thinking about and using my childhood heroes).

I also have a packs-only team that opens packs on a fixed schedule (2 in midseason and 5 between seasons). They've been interesting to work with but it's pretty hands-off when the season is going, since I only rarely get injections of new players.

Last edited by Charlatan; 06-26-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #18
webdox
Minors (Triple A)

My Unsung Heroes team is always competitive (so far) from Silver up to Diamond.
Doubt they will do well in Perfect once they make it up there. Unsung just doesn't have a good roster of hitters yet. There are SP, RP, CL galore. My staff is very good with Barker and the other Diamond Unsung SP.

My ALL GOLD Team is very competitive up in Perfect and really shouldn't be.
Not one player above 89 yet they still manage to compete against whale teams.

I spent a fair amount grabbing up and puzzle piecing a lineup of hidden gems that are very competitive. SP is where most of the problem lies with that team. Once in playoffs I am instantly humbled by 4 SP rotations that have top 20 FIP and my Gold Team is immediately reminded they are but shiny Gold, not Perfect...

My All LIVE! Team is very competitive in Diamond... Once they make it up to Perfect they don’t do very well especially the Starters.
webdox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #19
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

My F2P teams, one with Brewers players and the other with players from before 1990, both are in Bronze Level.

The Brewers team most likely never will get any higher, my Retro team regularly makes the play-offs only to bow out in Round 1 again and again
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #20
SpacePope
Minors (Single A)

I'm running a Giants & Dodgers theme team. We had over 110 wins last season, in Diamond, with some amazing performances (triple crowns in both pitching and hitting). Lost first round of the playoffs, so still in Diamond.

I made some big upgrades coming into this season (100 Mays replacing Pillar at CF and 100 Jackie replacing Turner at 3rd), but we were off to a 28-24 start (3rd in division) when I left for work this morning. Just added a 100 Mathewson and 99 Hubbell, so hopefully the team is clicking again.

Anyway, I'm having a lot more fun with a theme team then I was just playing the best available cards I had.
SpacePope is offline   Reply With Quote