Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 12-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Rage about my PT team

Not full blown rage but my poor Ottawa Champions. We were leading the way and way ahead at one point. More than 3/4 of the year we lead the division and we BLEW IT. Stupid team, lol.

I dont have a great team so really not that shocking and I had some cards who werent thaat great have some decent seasons so that helped a lot. Was a fun season anyways but man, I hate when we blow it like that and yes, I know it happens.

My biggest surprise was Dave Dravecky (66) he finished with 18 wins and a 3.25 ERA. Kerry Wood (83) was and will be my ace for a bit. He had an ok season, 13-10, 3.38 but really struggled down the stretch. The rest was Ryu (10-12, 3.38), Sonny Gray (9-9, 3.61) and Julio Urias (10-9, 4.42) and helped get my team the top ERA in the league.

Relief was solid, we didnt give up a lot of runs but again, they went into the tank late. It was my hitters that really struggled for me. I needed mmore runs and just didnt get them but I know what I need to build up next season for sure.

My Line up was

CF Billy Hamilton (.232, 3, 40, 68 steals to lead the league)
3b Miguel Andujar (.246, 14, 62)
1b Freddie Freeman (.282, 1, 12) Got him late
LF Khris Davis (.237, 36, 84)
RF Danny Heep (.270, 23, 83)
DH Matt Carpenter (.204, 8, 27)
CA Kurt Suzuki (.272, 10, 48)
2b Kolten Wong (.268, 7, 27)
SS Elvis Andrus (224, 2, 54)

Overall, I enjoyed the season. Looking forward to the next one, hopefully some changes can be made for the better!!

Also, if anyone has some advice, Id love to hear it
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
shockenawe
Minors (Rookie Ball)

My biggest piece of advice is to work on your hitters. It's going to be hard to consistently score runs without guys getting on base consistently.

I'd get Hamilton out of the leadoff spot. 68 steals are nice but it's hard to make an impact out of lead off spot if you get on base less than a third of a time. Someone like Milan or Jerome Walton would be much better in that role for you.
shockenawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
Motorhead667
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
Not full blown rage but my poor Ottawa Champions. We were leading the way and way ahead at one point. More than 3/4 of the year we lead the division and we BLEW IT. Stupid team, lol.

I dont have a great team so really not that shocking and I had some cards who werent thaat great have some decent seasons so that helped a lot. Was a fun season anyways but man, I hate when we blow it like that and yes, I know it happens.

My biggest surprise was Dave Dravecky (66) he finished with 18 wins and a 3.25 ERA. Kerry Wood (83) was and will be my ace for a bit. He had an ok season, 13-10, 3.38 but really struggled down the stretch. The rest was Ryu (10-12, 3.38), Sonny Gray (9-9, 3.61) and Julio Urias (10-9, 4.42) and helped get my team the top ERA in the league.

Relief was solid, we didnt give up a lot of runs but again, they went into the tank late. It was my hitters that really struggled for me. I needed mmore runs and just didnt get them but I know what I need to build up next season for sure.

My Line up was

Overall, I enjoyed the season. Looking forward to the next one, hopefully some changes can be made for the better!!

Ichiro !
Clyde Milan! For my 3 teams over 100 steals for each
Motorhead667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:

My Line up was

To an extent, Pitching domininates hitting in PT a little too much. Low averages & HR as a whole on STUD HITTERS. Nolan Arenado for instance was my worse example. .220 BA, 6 HR 20 RBI in 235 plates appearances. Had to take him out of lineup & move Bregamn to 3rd & he swatted a powerful .268 BA 15 HR 48 RBI.in 518 PA Not going to list every example. But my biggest surprsie was 2014 Jose Abreu hit .283 35 HR, 116 RBI in 678 PA. He won 400 pp for winning HR title in American League. After I came to conclusion that RATINGS don't matter I settled down and enjoyed it more even thought I finished 4 games under .500. Just have to get lucky with grabbing good hitting cards & ignore name & rating on cards & take game for what it is Simulation Potluck

BB
Louisiana Crawdads
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

I found a real huge difference between performances in bronze and silver leagues. Guys that surprised in bronze - like low silvers getting close to 20 wins - suddenly don't surprise in silver and tend to get knocked around. I had a 110 win team this year in bronze that looks like it's about to get knocked out in the first playoff round by a team with more gold and diamond players... but had a Mark Langston, Rich Hill, German Marquez, Brad Peacock in the rotation that combined to go 56-20 and ERA's between 2.00 and 3.80 or so. I fully expect next year in silver to have to replace all four because they'll get pounded. Or at least that's been my experience. Would love to be proven wrong next time...

Funny though, there ARE some cards that seem to stand up better. Ichiro is a good example. Seems to hit no matter what. Numbers can be misleading...
Dunzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
To an extent, Pitching domininates hitting in PT a little too much. Low averages & HR as a whole on STUD HITTERS. Nolan Arenado for instance was my worse example. .220 BA, 6 HR 20 RBI in 235 plates appearances. Had to take him out of lineup & move Bregamn to 3rd & he swatted a powerful .268 BA 15 HR 48 RBI.in 518 PA Not going to list every example. But my biggest surprsie was 2014 Jose Abreu hit .283 35 HR, 116 RBI in 678 PA. He won 400 pp for winning HR title in American League. After I came to conclusion that RATINGS don't matter I settled down and enjoyed it more even thought I finished 4 games under .500. Just have to get lucky with grabbing good hitting cards & ignore name & rating on cards & take game for what it is Simulation Potluck

BB
Louisiana Crawdads
It's all a matter of sample size and the competition the players face. Better competition, worse performance. Plus, even Mike Trout can hit .220 in 235 PA every now and then, it's totally within the realms of statistical probability.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunzie View Post
I found a real huge difference between performances in bronze and silver leagues.
Whis is to be expected
Old 12-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #8
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Whis is to be expected

Exactly... but I do think you get a skewed view of how good your players are, and how you found a "gem" of a silver after you get promoted and suddenly they're getting beat up most outings. Until you actually face stiffer competition and better lineups you don't realize, or at least it hit home with me this season.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #9
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post

BB
Louisiana Crawdads
As mentioned, small sample size. In bronze leagues in 431 games, Arenado is a .266 hitter with 5.59 RC/27. In silver leagues playing in 1025 games, he is a .257 hitter with a 5.13 RC/27. Sure it's a drop off, but it doesn't sound like it is outside the expectations given the higher level of competition.

Abreu on the other hand is also a sample size issue as he is a very mediocre hitter having 4.47 RC/27 in just over 1000 games. 4.47 makes him average as he is a couple of ticks below league average overall. He might come back down to earth for you next season, and if not, be thankful he's over producing compared to most other team owners.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
I found a real huge difference between performances in bronze and silver leagues. Guys that surprised in bronze - like low silvers getting close to 20 wins - suddenly don't surprise in silver and tend to get knocked around. I had a 110 win team this year in bronze that looks like it's about to get knocked out in the first playoff round by a team with more gold and diamond players... but had a Mark Langston, Rich Hill, German Marquez, Brad Peacock in the rotation that combined to go 56-20 and ERA's between 2.00 and 3.80 or so. I fully expect next year in silver to have to replace all four because they'll get pounded. Or at least that's been my experience. Would love to be proven wrong next time...

Funny though, there ARE some cards that seem to stand up better. Ichiro is a good example. Seems to hit no matter what. Numbers can be misleading...
There has been only a very minor drop off of stats from bronze to silver (.731 OPS to .726). So as better players are added, there will be a drop off for players but overall things remain the same. The drop off "has" to happen for a lesser player meeting up with better pitching or vice versa.

Ichiro is not an exception. In 3969 bronze games, he hit .306. In 2560 silver games he hit just .287. That is a larger drop off than many other players I've looked at (see the Arenado example in the previous post).

The main thing that is "misleading" is sample sizes...
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Well... I had a Rich Hill my first year in bronze that went something like 15-6 with an ERA of just over 3. When I moved up, he got lit up like Vegas pretty much every time out. When I finally pulled the plug on him I think his ERA was around 8 and had an abysmal record.

Small sample sizes may be right, but yeah unfortunately more and more good players means you have to upgrade your team to remain competitive as you move up.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:52 AM   #12
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Small sample sizes may be right, but yeah unfortunately more and more good players means you have to upgrade your team to remain competitive as you move up.
That's the whole point of a promotion/relegation league system
Old 12-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #13
uschi_baerchen
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Not full blown rage but my poor Ottawa Champions.

I have good and bad News for you and one advice:

1. bad news: Oh Boy, what a heep of garbage. Of the Players I know of, Andujar, Carpenter and maybe Freeman would make it to the bench in Silver league (some of the Players I did not check)

2. good news: you will not loose much value when you sell your Players to the market. I mean: if you replace Bagwell by Goldy you will get about 0,5 games more won by season, but if you replace Freeman (and he is one of your better guys) by Bagwell, you will create an additional 1,0 games won.

3. advice: load the statistics files for fielders and pitchers for your league every week into a spreadsheet, decide on a meaningfull statistic (e.g. WAR per 600 PA´s oder 200 IP or ERA or OPS) and add/value these across all like named Players, this gives you an idea, where your Players are in the pecking order and where there are the bigest gaps. You will also have a much larger sample size (1000 IPs or 2000PA will be quite stable). Now you have to find out some bargains and this is where the fun cames in. I assume for example, that Michael Kopech is better than Pedro Martinez AND Michael can be gotten for 3000 whereas Pedro is around 10 times as expensive. So - even if Michael does not work out as beeing as good as Pedro - I have plenty of leverage. Also - since you know where your Players are - I Can concentrate on the biggest gaps.

4. advice: if it does work out this way - stay humble, it it doesn´t - double your efforts, and above all HAVE FUN!
uschi_baerchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #14
max venerabel
Minors (Double A)

Hey I'm in your division this year, Area X.

Good luck!
max venerabel is offline   Reply With Quote