Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #21
SteveP

If you guys want to have fun arguing over how OOTP handles 1974, I suggest taking it outside. Believe or not, but the audience for that is probably not especially large.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #22
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
If you guys want to have fun arguing over how OOTP handles 1974, I suggest taking it outside. Believe or not, but the audience for that is probably not especially large.
The point is not "1974". The ratings for certain pitchers like the ones I listed are always off in terms of how many hits they allow. If this is only a single season replay problem, then yes, there may not be that many people that care, but I'm not yet sure it is.

Nevertheless, this was not the point of your thread and I apologize for hijacking it. When I collect more data, I'll start a new thread, if appropriate.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #23
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

OOTP is based on DIPS. Pitchers do not have any influence on whether a ball in play becomes a hit or not. Quality of defense and luck result in BABIP against. Pitchers influence BB, K, HR Allowed, and GB%.

There is no difference between a ball in play off of Roger Clemens or Steve Trachsel. (HRs are not balls in Play)
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #24
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Good work and good OP, Steve.

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
MD has disciples.
Malleus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:53 AM   #25
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon View Post
OOTP is based on DIPS. Pitchers do not have any influence on whether a ball in play becomes a hit or not. Quality of defense and luck result in BABIP against. Pitchers influence BB, K, HR Allowed, and GB%.

There is no difference between a ball in play off of Roger Clemens or Steve Trachsel. (HRs are not balls in Play)
Thanks for the explanation. I read more about BABIP and it makes much more sense now.

I did a simple test and improved 2 outfielders (LF & RF) range on the Braves '74 team to better match their real life stats and those seemingly small changes made a big difference in how the pitching staff performed.

So pstrickert was right. But it seems surprising that those two positions being only slightly off in their ratings made such a big difference, although I guess it shouldn't since so many balls were fly balls to the OF. I guess what I interpreted as "slight", wasn't so slight after all.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:07 AM   #26
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

When I began to see NYY (1974 import) keep winning the AL East with an ultra-low ERA, I checked the fielding ratings. Sure enough, upon import, nearly all the starters had blue (18-20) ratings. IRL, they were above average defensively (as far as I can tell). They also had a good pitching staff. So, I expected them to compete for the division title. But the low team ERA (often far lower than the next lowest team) and the high team fielding percentage (often much higher than the next highest team) made me seek an explanation. It also explains (to a large degree, IMO) the fact that OAK and BAL never come close to their low RL team ERAs. The defensive ratings, though good, could be better. I mean, these two teams excelled defensively (esp. up the middle).
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #27
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Have you heard of squatter's rights?
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #28
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Have you heard of squatter's rights?
That struck me as really funny for some reason.

I appreciated the discussion we had today. Pitching seemed to me to always be messed up in historical replays, but now I understand it's really defensive ratings problems and not always big errors either.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #29
Cowboys3356
All Star Starter

Back to the original post...

If anyone is using this method (which sounds like a no brainer) could they please post the season they simmed and the LTMs they got? It might not be exactly right for everyone but as long as we are all using the same DB it should be a good starting point.
Cowboys3356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #30
Cowboys3356
All Star Starter

What about the Automatically control in game engine to match league totals option?

Do you guys usually disable or enable this?
Old 06-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #31
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Anyway we can delete our own post?

Last edited by old timer; 06-06-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #32
Cowboys3356
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
I hate to type so here are the settings I got for 1974:
So you guys are entering the data for ALL 3 sections which includes the fielding data?

Do you check the "Automatically control ingame engine" box? Or do you only use that for the minors?
Old 06-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #33
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys3356 View Post
So you guys are entering the data for ALL 3 sections which includes the fielding data?

Do you check the "Automatically control ingame engine" box? Or do you only use that for the minors?
I didn't expect someone to check so quickly so I deleted the picture of the league settings I just put in, since it didn't seem that helpful - it's only one season out of over a hundred after all.

To answer your question, yes I entered data for all 3 sections since that's what changed after following SteveP's instructions. I don't check that other box you mentioned since I don't yet understand it and it says it's for the minors.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #34
Cowboys3356
All Star Starter

I am finding the LTM numbers I am generating are different every single time even for the same season. But I guess they are better than just using 1.0 default numbers.

The LTM numbers are fairly close each time I resim.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #35
SteveP

Quote:
I am finding the LTM numbers I am generating are different every single time even for the same season. But I guess they are better than just using 1.0 default numbers.

The LTM numbers are fairly close each time I resim.
Yes, the numbers will be different every time you do it, because the stats that are created by your sim will be different every time (because of the randomness built into the game). It's a not a bad idea to sim 2-3 times and take an average, but that's would be a lot of work for the typical gamer, and the benefit is small. A few of the LTMs can vary way too much (balks, for example) because of sample size in a single season. It's probably a mistake to have them in the LTM system. I'd consider just re-entering 1.000 for those -- though, again, it doesn't really matter all that much.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #36
SteveP

Quote:
I leave it unchecked. It's new in OOTP10. It didn't get much of a look during the beta. I think the concept behind it never got completely implemented. But it's possible one of the OOTP veterans/beta testers has good reason for thinking otherwise. If so, I hope they post on that somewhere.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #37
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
I leave it unchecked. It's new in OOTP10. It didn't get much of a look during the beta. I think the concept behind it never got completely implemented. But it's possible one of the OOTP veterans/beta testers has good reason for thinking otherwise. If so, I hope they post on that somewhere.
For fictional leagues only. Which it is supposed to say somewhere on screen but doesn't yet.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #38
cbbl
All Star Starter

Steve:

Thanks for posting this. I look forward to trying it out and getting started with OOTP X!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #39
knockahoma
All Star Reserve

Moved to another thread.

Last edited by knockahoma; 06-11-2009 at 10:32 AM.
knockahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #40
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Question

SteveP, this technique works incredibly well for the first year of a game. What I'm wondering is would it be worth it to use it on subsequent seasons? Or do the LTMs grab hold and take over once that first season is in the books? Is the ability of the LTMs to get very accurate league wide totals in subsequent seasons strengthened by using this technique? I realize that eventually the LTMs are supposed to snap the totals into place, but I guess what I'm wondering (without expressing it too well) is does having very accurate first season stats help the LTMs to do their job better in subsequent seasons? There...got it out, sorry it's a bit muddy and murky.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote