Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 06-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Ping Floyd
Bat Boy

names.txt used at league creation only ?

Is the names text file used at game creation only ?

I noticed a file called names.dat in my saved game folder.

Does a created league draw on this for names or use the names.txt.

Basically can we edit names.txt after league creation to add names and the like? anyone know thanks ?
Ping Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

I assume the names.dat folder is for players created and in game. The txt file would be used anytime players are created (drafts, generate fictional Players, etc). So editing the txt file is fine
RBLwebguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
SC_Dawg
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLwebguy
I assume the names.dat folder is for players created and in game. The txt file would be used anytime players are created (drafts, generate fictional Players, etc). So editing the txt file is fine
Testing this now

I don't know if I messed up in testing this however here is what I did and the results I received.

With OOTP closed I made a backup copy of the first name file.

I then edited the original copy of the first_names.txt file to only have 2 names in it.

I restarted OOTP and with a previously existing test universe. Then I simmed until the next amateur draft pool was published.

It used the unedited names list. Therefore I have to believe the names.dat file in the save league folder contains all of the names the universe will use.

Kinda disappointing at this point in time. I am sure some modder will be able to come up with utilities such that we can edit the files we want to edit to get the max customization we are able to get.

Last edited by SC_Dawg; 06-06-2006 at 07:15 PM.
SC_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Dawg
Testing this now

I don't know if I messed up in testing this however here is what I did and the results I received.

With OOTP closed I made a backup copy of the first name file.

I then edited the original copy of the first_names.txt file to only have 2 names in it.

I restarted OOTP and with a previously existing test universe. Then I simmed until the next amateur draft pool was published.

It used the unedited names list. Therefore I have to believe the names.dat file in the save league folder contains all of the names the universe will use.

Kinda disappointing at this point in time. I am sure some modder will be able to come up with utilities such that we can edit the files we want to edit to get the max customization we are able to get.
More info to be posted on this tomorrow.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Poop, you're right. Color me disappointed too.

I have a question in to Markus on this, but it certainly isn't anything that will be fixed in tomorrow's patch.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:34 AM   #6
Ping Floyd
Bat Boy

No big deal as the names can be edited in the editor but it would be nice.

Thanks for confirming though.
Ping Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:36 AM   #7
treedom
Hall Of Famer

Actually I like this. I thought it still used the name files in the top database directory, which would make using two versions for two different leagues at the same time tricky. Much cleaner this way, imho.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:24 AM   #8
SC_Dawg
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedom
Actually I like this. I thought it still used the name files in the top database directory, which would make using two versions for two different leagues at the same time tricky. Much cleaner this way, imho.
I would like to see a "best of both worlds" scenario. Have the game when it initially creates the universe use the main database folder .txt files. After that I would like to see the game look in a database folder that is housed in the .lg folder for the .txt database file whenever it needs to create a new item.

This way you could have the different versions without being tricky IMO.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:30 AM   #9
treedom
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would like to see a "best of both worlds" scenario. Have the game when it initially creates the universe use the main database folder .txt files. After that I would like to see the game look in a database folder that is housed in the .lg folder for the .txt database file whenever it needs to create a new item.

This way you could have the different versions without being tricky IMO.
I hear ya!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #10
SC_Dawg
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedom
Glad to have you on board, or am I on board with you?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #11
battists
Hall Of Famer

That's a great idea Treedom. I'll be sure to bring it up with Markus when discussions on the next version happen!
Old 06-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #12
SC_Dawg
All Star Reserve

BTW I think I spoke too early on if you can edit the names files. In running a different test I saw where the two names I made for the previous test are showing up in abundance.

Now I don't know which is right and which is wrong. When I simmed last night to the publishing of the amateur draft list, the list did not contain any of the names I had in the edited file.

Now this morning I am seeing those names.

Arrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!! I am so confused!