Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 06-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #41
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I will say, that adding the name "Nobody" as a surname seemed silly to me.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #42
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleyjag
I set my foreigner limit to 5% and it seems a decent enough level to me. Didn't notice anything too out of the ordinary.

Although I'd rather they realised not every third Scotsman in called Callum, or has a name ending with Mc or Mac, and discovering a player called Hamish McSporran just isn't funny! That actually spoiled the game slightly for me.

I know it's all random names, I just thought the game would be a bit cleverer than just sticking to "if you want a Scottish league we'll use only Scottish names".
Hey! Hamish McSporran did the name files for this game!!
bababui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:51 AM   #43
Gelete
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJ33
This thread sorely needs examples.

...and I sorely need to update my avatar from 3 years ago (Soriano Yankees jersey )
Well, for instance Soriano is a common surname in northern Castille, here in Spain, and it means "person born in the city of Soria", which is one of the smallest spanish "head of province" towns.
Gelete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #44
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

What we have here is a failure to expectorate....wait, no. What I mean is I think it's more of a problem with expectations than with the name files. Real life gets pretty weird. There's a REAL guy named Milton Forking Bradley for Pete's sake! If you saw that in a game, you'd SURELY cry foul. If someone put together a list of the weirdest names in MLB and were able to look at them with fresh eyes as if you'd never heard them before, the names OOTP generates would pale in comparison.

Anyway, I'd suggest broadening your expectations and imagination. Or, you can go in and edit out the "offending" names. It's simple text editting.

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #45
ssmith1938
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble
If someone put together a list of the weirdest names in MLB and were able to look at them with fresh eyes as if you'd never heard them before, the names OOTP generates would pale in comparison.
No chance...and Milton Bradley doesn't sound weird to me at all

edit: and for the record neither does Covelli "Coco" Crisp
ssmith1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #46
battists
Hall Of Famer

Well, can't please everyone. I've been pretty pleased with the name generation myself. I think the frequencies could use tweaking, but honestly, in the grand scheme of the testing for OOTPB, that just didn't seem as urgent as testing the other areas of the game. (Speaking only for myself.)

Luckily, the name generation is one of the most purely customizable areas of the game. You can customize:

-which name sets are used for which nationalities, in which percentages
-what names go in each nameset
-what frequency is used for each name
-the frequency with which certain nations are chosen for foreign players

I'm sure some intrepid adventurer will come up with a different variation on the namesets and nations in short order, and that's a good thing!

Hope over here for more information:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...lay.php?f=3641

Or sit tight for the customization guide that will be coming, probably in a few weeks.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #47
84CubsFan
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo
My name is Nemisio Inigo. You beaned my father.

Prepare to die!

ROFL.

Guys, IMO this actually sounds like a great addition to the game. If you don't like a name, EDIT! Better yet, do what has been done for many, many years with foreign stars with difficult (for Americans) to pronounce names: give them a good nickname.
84CubsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #48
GBS
Minors (Triple A)

These are good examples. Just good old down home American boys.
GBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #49
Can of Corn
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian2004
Milton Bradley came up in one of mine, now I have an attorney wanting me to put a stupid TM after his name or he is threatening to sue me.
so what does the outfielder with that name do?
Can of Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #50
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith1938
No chance...and Milton Bradley doesn't sound weird to me at all

edit: and for the record neither does Covelli "Coco" Crisp
The FIRST time you heard Milton Bradley and Coco Crisp, they sounded perfectly normal? Surprising. How about names like Dick Trickle, Biff Pocoroba, Rollie Fingers, Urban Shocker, Razor Shines? No? Then I wouldn't think you'd have trouble with Quglielmo.

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #51
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan915
I haven't seen any "unusual" names yet, (as opposed to say, Guillermo Matsushi, like I've seen in the past) but I have seen spellings like Gonezales and Hernandiz...

Has anyone ever heard of the first name "Conrado"? I've got a Conrado Ramircz (sic) as well. Conrado sounds funny to me...
Quote:
Clenfuegos
There are some serious issues with the Spanish surname file, as demonstrated above. I'm working on it and have been for awhile, as well as adding proper accent marks and tildes.

It was census data, but as we all know, that can be flawed. And I've got a sneaking suspicion that some of the last names in that data were collected either over the phone, or orally dictated to someone, versus the actual named individual writing it (if they could) themselves.

There was also some terrible data input in regards to typos and tranposition of letters.

I'm trying to weed that all out and submit it to Steve, who can either recommend it go in a patch, or just release it to the public here.

Researching thousands of these names one-by-one has been, um, tedious, to say the least.

-E

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."
enuttage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #52
trapper
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper
In the very first game of my first season after a fantasy draft the opposing starting pitcher was Liang-hsi Qu, a 7'0" 230lb pitcher from Toronto, Canada. And then he got tired after throwing 65 pitches and was taken out in the 5th inning while pitching a shutout. Ok...
I'm not saying that a chinese person could not be 7 feet tall. Like you say, we have all seen Yao Ming and he could be like that. It was just somewhat upsetting to play your first game and have about 5 things occur that have never happened before in normal baseball. No team has ever had a 7 foot ace pitcher, and no team has ever pulled their ace pitcher when they were pitchnig a 65 pitch shutout in the 5th, and it also seems strange that a guy could be 7 feet tall and only 230 lbs.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #53
Mr.Opinion
All Star Reserve

You forgot all about our good ol' pal Boof Bonser.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #54
BPS
All Star Reserve

You'd expect more unbaseball-like names from the census based name files for a couple of reasons.

First, as already mentioned, the ethnic makeup of baseball players will differ from the ethnic makeup of a country's population. For instance I would guess that the % of baseball players in the US who are of Vietnamese heritage is less than the % of the US population who are Vietnamese.

Second, parents don't randomly select a name from column 1 to combine with a name from column 2 but the game does.

Third, often a person will go by a nickname, a shortened form of the name, or might use a middle name particularly if the real first name is unusual or seems too formal. The real first name might only be seen in legal documents or in census forms. But for every other use the person might use his nickname or shortened version of his name. For instance consider Sanford Koufax, Fredric Lynn, Theodore Williams, Denton Young, Montford Irvin which are the real names of Sandy Foufax, Fred Lynn, Ted Williams, Cy Young, Monte Irwin.

A census-based name list can't necessarily mimic such things.
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #55
Mr.Opinion
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper
I'm not saying that a chinese person could not be 7 feet tall. Like you say, we have all seen Yao Ming and he could be like that. It was just somewhat upsetting to play your first game and have about 5 things occur that have never happened before in normal baseball. No team has ever had a 7 foot ace pitcher, and no team has ever pulled their ace pitcher when they were pitchnig a 65 pitch shutout in the 5th, and it also seems strange that a guy could be 7 feet tall and only 230 lbs.
dola,

Randy Johnson is an ace (or was), and is listed at 6'10", 230. Your call.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #56
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Opinion
You forgot all about our good ol' pal Boof Bonser.
Boof!

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."
enuttage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #57
Luis_Rivera
Hall Of Famer

What about Rusty Kuntz?
Luis_Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #58
GabeRivers
Minors (Single A)

I'm getting a lot of players with the last name of "Nobody".

Surely that was not intended. Did I click the wrong button somewhere?
GabeRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #59
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

You guys are out of your minds.

MD created the name files. They are perfect.

N00b$!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #60
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

In-sue Me

Lee Nobody

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote