Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 10-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
mking55
All Star Starter

I'm sorry to post this here, but a post in "quick questions" is a waste of typing

I started by posting in "quick questions". Cole tried to help (seems like a nice guy) but he's not a developer so that went no where.

I have a MAC and anyone on staff at OOTP who wrote anything was basically saying, "I don't use a MAC". Listen guys, you're selling software on a MAC so you should be able to answer questions.

I tried Private Messages. Jeff (who doesn't use a MAC) said he would let Sebastian know about my problem. Sebastian answered a couple of questions and then fell off the face of the earth. (Not really because I see he answers other questions and as he tells me, he's not a MAC guy.

There's a user on here named Duraniam who is not a MAC guy but tries to help, and he has a bit. I appreciate his help. I appreciate Cole's efforts. I won't say what I really think of the OOTP staff who is "supposed" to help. I think it's obvious anyway.

Okay, my problem is to do with photo's. If I create a game I get some default cartoon pictures. If I go back in after to "saved_games/graphics/player_pics" and replace all with the real photo's they show up. I don't think I should have to do that to get pictures to show so I'm doing something wrong or there is a bug. I don't know what it is because there is no one who knows about a MAC on staff at OOTP (or so it seems).

How do the real pictures get loaded when a league is created? I have put the real pictures in the 4 quoickstarts (/graphics/player_pics) as advised. I even put them in photos (/graphics/player_pics) but I keep getting the cartoon guys when creating a league.

I am obviously missing something or something doesn't work. The manual on this topic is useless (or I'm blind). Can anyone help me please? If you use photos on a Windows computer, perhaps you can tell me where your defaults lie. Maybe from that I can figure out the MAC because if I don't do it myself, then it appears at this moment no one at OOTP is going to help me (after all they don't know about MAC's).

I appreciate any help that may come my way.

Thank you,
Martin
mking55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:36 AM   #2
TheAdamBn
Minors (Triple A)

I believe this question has been answered numerous times in the forums already.

You seem to be saving images into your saved game folders. That's great if you want to adjust a game in process, however if you want them to be there automatically when you start a new game, you need to do something a little different.

Go into the game, and go into preferences, tab to troubleshooting, open the customizable data folder, quick start games, majors, graphics put folders there.

This should then make your images load when you start a new game
TheAdamBn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:20 AM   #3
mking55
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdamBn View Post
I believe this question has been answered numerous times in the forums already.

You seem to be saving images into your saved game folders. That's great if you want to adjust a game in process, however if you want them to be there automatically when you start a new game, you need to do something a little different.

Go into the game, and go into preferences, tab to troubleshooting, open the customizable data folder, quick start games, majors, graphics put folders there.

This should then make your images load when you start a new game
I did. I put them in all 4 quick start game folders. However, I put them in /graphics/player_pics. Are you saying I should just put them in /graphics and ignore player_pics? Because if you're saying I'm putting them in the right place, I'm saying it doesn't work.

And I've searched and searched for answers on the forum and I don't find anything. Not one thing. I use "photo" as my search term and although things come up I check every one and not one of them relates to my issue. If you know of a thread that answers this question, please let me know.

Thank you.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:42 AM   #4
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

If you speak openly, let me speak openly: you are the only guy who asks something and then, when you don't get an immediate answer, start to get angry, write PM's that we should look into your posts, then send PM's again that we still did not look into your posts. We (Jeff, Malte, Cole and me) try to answer as many questions as possible (not only here but everywhere) and also work no-stop on the first patch to have it out in time for the weekend. Your problem, which we of course try to help you out, is "only" that you don't get the player pics automatically into your new games (we already helped you out with getting them into saves).

As with your first problem, I can't say what the problem is, because from your description ithe way you do iit sounds right. Best would be if you could post a screenshot from your data folder, so I can take a look if e.g. the naming conventions are correct.

Btw, you talk about cartoon guys, can you show me a pic from that, it sounds strange. Thx!

Last edited by Sebastian Palkowski; 10-02-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Sebastian Palkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Btw, you talk about cartoon guys, can you show me a pic from that, it sounds strange. Thx!
I believe he's referring to the player pictures from FHM 2014, which would come into FHM 2 once Facegen is disabled.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I believe he's referring to the player pictures from FHM 2014, which would come into FHM 2 once Facegen is disabled.
Thats why I'm confused, they are not part of the game anymore.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thats why I'm confused, they are not part of the game anymore.
The one build we had in beta where Facegen was disabled by default, they were there at that point in the game, anyway.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
Cole
Hall Of Famer

I just wanted to add onto what Sebastian said.

We are all more than happy to help you and anyone with various questions to assist your enjoyment of the game, but it's totally unnecessary and out of line for you to make posts that begin with big diatribes about what you think of each member of OOTP Developments and how you feel you've been wronged or we have it out for you because a question wasn't answered within a specific timeframe.

Your initial frustration seemed to be with the fact that after nine or 10 hours you hadn't received an answer in the quick questions thread. We are trying to answer as quickly as possible in that thread and dozens of questions have been successfully asked and answered, but some are going to fall through the cracks. Often I'll answer quick ones that are easy to answer or that I know of, but others I don't know, I might leave in hopes that Jeff or Sebastian or Malte will answer. If I circle back after sleeping or being away from the forums for a while and see they still aren't answered, then I may go digging further to try to provide help.

That can at times lead to downtimes in responding.

A simple quoting of your initial post with a bump and "Does anyone know the answer to this one, I think it got lost it the shuffle?" will do a lot more to getting people keen to help you than posts like the ones you've made.

Or, just go ahead and make individual threads with a specific question if you think that's better after not having heard an answer in "quick questions."

But overall, I would say the level of communication and troubleshooting post-release has been pretty top notch. We have all three developers on the forum answering questions, as well as myself and some beta testers. I doubt there's a similar level of direct contact to the creators of some other games out there.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
mking55
All Star Starter

Quote:
If you speak openly, let me speak openly: you are the only guy who asks something and then, when you don't get an immediate answer, start to get angry, write PM's that we should look into your posts, then send PM's again that we still did not look into your posts. We (Jeff, Malte, Cole and me) try to answer as many questions as possible (not only here but everywhere) and also work no-stop on the first patch to have it out in time for the weekend. Your problem, which we of course try to help you out, is "only" that you don't get the player pics automatically into your new games (we already helped you out with getting them into saves).

As with your first problem, I can't say what the problem is, because from your description ithe way you do iit sounds right. Best would be if you could post a screenshot from your data folder, so I can take a look if e.g. the naming conventions are correct.

Yes, please speak openly. I don't mind. I don't agree with your "immediate answer" comment, but let us differ. The PM's are just to let you know that I have information there to be read.

Yes, I know you are busy with a lot of questions. However, I'm the paying customer who uses a MAC, which you sell your games for, who has all the support people tell him, "they are not MAC people". (Allow me to be perfectly clear. I have not had any correspondence with Malte). You should be if you are selling to the MAC population. However, we can disagree on that too.

The cartoon guys are the facegen pictures (or I think they are).

Forget the screenshot because I don't know how to put one on here with linking it from a website somewhere (which I don't have). However, this copy and paste from the "Get Info" selection within finder should tell you exactly where my photos are.

They are in the following 5 places: /Users/martinking/Library/Containers/com.ootpdevelopments.fhm2macappstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Out of the Park Developments/Franchise Hockey Manager 2/quickstart_games/Historical.quick/graphics/player_pics

/Users/martinking/Library/Containers/com.ootpdevelopments.fhm2macappstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Out of the Park Developments/Franchise Hockey Manager 2/quickstart_games/Majors.quick/graphics/player_pics

/Users/martinking/Library/Containers/com.ootpdevelopments.fhm2macappstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Out of the Park Developments/Franchise Hockey Manager 2/quickstart_games/Majors2014.quick/graphics/player_pics

/Users/martinking/Library/Containers/com.ootpdevelopments.fhm2macappstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Out of the Park Developments/Franchise Hockey Manager 2/quickstart_games/OpeningDay.quick/graphics/player_pics

/Users/martinking/Library/Containers/com.ootpdevelopments.fhm2macappstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Out of the Park Developments/Franchise Hockey Manager 2/photos

That's where they are now. This is what you told me in a previous annoying thread of mine:
Quote:
You can copy the pics to the quickstarts (historical and/or modern) and the game will copy them to the saves when starting a new game.

Just use the troubleshooting menu to go to the data folder and then:

.../data/quickstart_games/Historical.quicks/graphics/
Now your quote above does not mention the /graphics/player_pics folder, only that I should put my pictures in /graphics and don't say anything about the player_pics folder. If that's my mistake then I can fix that and why is the /player_pics folder there?

You can have whatever opinion you want of me. That is your prerogative. However as a paying customer I believe I'm entitled to an answer to my question and if you create a thread that has in it's title "quick questions" then it implies that a quick response will follow. I waiting 9 hours and seeing that other's questions were answered so I don't think I was out of line to complain about waiting so long for an answer. I would suggest you get rid of the word "quick" so as to not be confusing, and I also suggest that if you bypass someone's question you post that it's been noted and being worked on and will be answered in as soon a time as possible.

Of course, you don't have to use any of my suggestions. I'll be satisfied with an answer to this question. But to be perfectly honest, I'm not a happy customer and I think you could have done a better job in this instance. And you might not be a happy question-answerer dealing with a pain in the ass such as myself.

And just to throw in that I don't think I'm a total idiot (only a partial one). I worked in software development for over 20 years and I have some idea of the kind of questions that come in, and how to deal with question-askers in a prompt and courteous way.

Thanks if you help. If not, so be it.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

You are right, you are a paying customer. Please take my apology.

The path you posted looks right, so it has to be something else. I just tested it on my Mac Book, put a pic of Patrick Kane into the quickstart, generated a new game and had the pic show up on his page.

So please confirm the following:

1. After you copied the pics into the quickstarts, you did start a NEW game (not loaded a save)?

2. FaceGen is really disabled? It is suspicious to me that you see cartoonish pics. IF FaceGen is disabled and it finds no rightly named pic, it will show a black silhouette instead, which does not cartoonish.

3. Your player pics are rightly named?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #11
mking55
All Star Starter

Quote:
You are right, you are a paying customer. Please take my apology.

The path you posted looks right, so it has to be something else. I just tested it on my Mac Book, put a pic of Patrick Kane into the quickstart, generated a new game and had the pic show up on his page.

So please confirm the following:

1. After you copied the pics into the quickstarts, you did start a NEW game (not loaded a save)?

2. FaceGen is really disabled? It is suspicious to me that you see cartoonish pics. IF FaceGen is disabled and it finds no rightly named pic, it will show a black silhouette instead, which does not cartoonish.

3. Your player pics are rightly named?
No apology necessary but thank you.

Yes, I started a new game. I just did it again and got the cartoon pictures. My players are correctly named because if I copy the quick start photos to the saved_games folder then the real faces show up.

You can't disable facegen until after the game has started (I believe). I disabled it after quitting and going back in, and the cartoon guys are still there for the guys I looked at, but everyone else was blank.

I did start a game from the "new game" setup. The real player photos showed up. (This is just to make us crazier but they really did).

I then deleted the graphics folder from the historical quick start and copied the Majors quick start graphics folder to the historical folder. I then created a new historical game and I had the same problem, the cartoon faces.

I then copied the historical player_pics folder (that didn't work) into the saved games folder for the game I just created and voila, the real pictures appeared.

Why am I so blessed (if you can answer that)? If it works for you, then it should work for me. You say I have everything in the right place and I believe you.

What now?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #12
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

You can disable FaceGen globally from the Start Screen:

Preferences -> FaceGen

Please do the following (assuming your player pics are still in the quickstart folder under player_pics):

Close the game
Start the game
Go to Preferences -> FaceGen and disable FaceGen
Close game
Start game
Start a NEW game

What does it show?
Old 10-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #13
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Actually, I'll say this is one of the rare Questions threads that actually does bring about responses, and even private messages addressing issues.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #14
mking55
All Star Starter

Quote:
You can disable FaceGen globally from the Start Screen:

Preferences -> FaceGen

Please do the following (assuming your player pics are still in the quickstart folder under player_pics):

Close the game
Start the game
Go to Preferences -> FaceGen and disable FaceGen
Close game
Start game
Start a NEW game

What does it show?
I deleted the game (and it's associated folders) and then installed it again. I noticed in the quick start folder for historical, there is no graphics folder. The other quick start folders do have a graphics folder.

I copied the graphics folder from one of the other ones and then loaded up the pictures again in player_pics.

I then did all that you asked. No difference. It didn't help. I got the same cartoon picture for every player I looked at. The coach image was a different cartoon character.

I looked at the game settings for the league I was in. It showed that facegen was enabled. I looked at the settings in preferences (the one I changed as per your instructions), and facegen was disabled. That sounds kind of funky too.

And on top of all that, I forgot to unlicensed my game before I deleted it so I'm short one license now. How do I get a new license to replace the one I deleted?

Now, what do you suggest I do?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #15
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Without seeing screenshots I can't help you. For example, the cartoonish player pics are not part of the game anymore but still you have them.

What I need is a screenshot from Finder with the player_pics open (and the folder structure visible on the left side as well). Please send it to sebastian@ootpdevelopments.com

I need a second screenshot from any player with the cartoonish pic, so I know we are on the same page.

We will take it from there.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #16
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Actually, I'll say this is one of the rare Questions threads that actually does bring about responses, and even private messages addressing issues.
AFAIK Malte did answer all your PM's as soon as possible. If that is not the case, please let me know.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #17
mking55
All Star Starter

The email with the requested screen shots has been sent to you.

I anxiously await your reply.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #18
seven
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mking55 View Post
The email with the requested screen shots has been sent to you.

I anxiously await your reply.

Thanks.
Just trying to help here. But in the instructions about starting and quitting the game, I believe that some of those references to the game refer to the FHM2 application, not just the game you started within the application. Preference changes often do not take effect until you exit and restart the application.
seven is offline   Reply With Quote