Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #21
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMaysHayes View Post
Just a quick example of an online league where a 10x price just outdistances everyone. I am the Cubs owner and my team currently has a .455 record.

League Financial Report for National Baseball League

Note my gate revenue and attendance level.

There has to be a better cap to this. 10x max is way too high. I'd argue the max should be between 1.25-1.5x
Nicely done. if your market can support those price this is cool. Why are other markets not doing the same thing?
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #22
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I am hoping this is fixed for v15...any word?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #23
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
Nicely done. if your market can support those price this is cool. Why are other markets not doing the same thing?
solution= AI owners set prices.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #24
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

There's nothing that needs to be fixed.

When something is controlled by humans and is being abused by humans, it's not a game problem.

The AI does not abuse this. Humans do.

I have been in many leagues over the years, and a simple fix is a league rule that sets a ticket price cap.

It's very easy for the Commish to check, without going through each team one at a time. That was explained in this thread in a couple replies.

If you set a league rule, and your owners aren't following the league rule, that is a League problem, not a game problem.

Also, if your owners are abusing league rules, why do you keep them in the league? Sounds to me like they're not concerned with the best interest of the league.

Being in an online league is supposed to be fun for all owners, not just build a winner by any means possible and to bad for anyone else. Owners who seek and find loopholes aren't interested in the well being of the league and have no business being in it.

The OP claimed this is happening in lots of online leagues. I ask for some examples. No reply of course. Because it's just not true.

Anyone who runs an online league or participates in one should be more concerned with the overall well being and fairness of the league ahead of his team.

By no means am I suggesting to anyone how to run their league, but seriously, the solution to your problem is very simple. Do what most other online leagues do, set a ticket price cap and enforce it.

Fine owners for abusing it, and if they continue to abuse it, boot them from the league and find owners who are willing to respect other owners and work within the rules of the league.

Online leagues are supposed to be about having fun, creating camaraderie, respecting the other owners, and respecting the league rules.

The only way this could be considered a bug and need fixing would be if the AI was abusing it. The AI does not abuse this.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-12-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #25
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

why not adjust this in the game? Caps do not hold true for solo play. How much is too much of an increase? Where should the threshold be? I don't know...why not let the owners determine the prices based on market size and fan interest? This can be an exploit. i don't want to have to police myself because as I said, there is no way to know what is fair, and what is not. So, this does need fixing.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #26
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
why not adjust this in the game? Caps do not hold true for solo play. How much is too much of an increase? Where should the threshold be? I don't know...why not let the owners determine the prices based on market size and fan interest? This can be an exploit. i don't want to have to police myself because as I said, there is no way to know what is fair, and what is not. So, this does need fixing.
You can adjust this in game. Go to your financial page and set the average ticket price. The AI does not abuse this.

Where is the exploit?

You say you don't want to police yourself? If you abuse it, then that's on you, not the game. You're going to tell me you don't have enough self control when you're playing to not set very high ticket prices while the AI is staying close to the league average?

That's on you, not the game. The AI will NOT abuse this, only human owners will. So exercise some self control and don't abuse it.

As for knowing what is fair and what is not fair. That's subjective, and always will be. Go look at real world data if you want a starting point. Then adjust your average ticket price upwards by a certain percentage as you see fit. Set your ticket prices within your guidelines. The AI will NOT abuse it.

And yes, Caps do hold true for solo play when it comes to ticket prices. The AI will not wander far from the avg you set. Try it if you don't believe me. The AI does NOT abuse ticket pricing.

In my solo leagues, I adjust ticket prices once every 5 years. Usually in the neighborhood of 3 - 5%.

Takes about 2 minutes to effect the change.

I don't jack my ticket prices way up. I exercise self control and try not to take advantage of the AI, because I know it's not abusing the setting I choose.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-12-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #27
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I am raising mine to $37.42 from $32.25. Is that abusing the system? I also increased the average ticket price from $25.00 to $27.46 (actual MLB) I still have a feeling I will out perform every team in the league at the gate. What do you think?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #28
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I am raising mine to $37.42 from $32.25. Is that abusing the system? I also increased the average ticket price from $25.00 to $27.46 (actual MLB) I still have a feeling I will out perform every team in the league at the gate. What do you think?
With your avg at $27.46, and you charging $10 higher, you're probably going to do a lot better. I find the AI generally stays within $2 - $3 of the avg. That would give you a pretty big advantage.

I do my changes during the pre-season, and then check once the season begins. The AI usually adjusts theirs when the season begins.

Irl I know ticket prices can vary a lot, especially depending on the market. But if your league is set to have different market sizes, then having all the teams within $2 - $3 is ok, because bigger markets with good fan interest draws bigger crowds. This imo is what offsets that disparity that we see irl. So even if say The Yankees and Rays both charged around $27.46 in OOTP, the Yankees would still generate far more revenue in ticket sales because of market size.

Another thing I've done to help make a difference is edit a teams merchandise revenue. If you have a Yankee type team, give them a much larger revenue from merchandise than a Tampa type team. Again, this is realistic.

Myself, I only play fictional, and in my fictional worlds, market sizes are close to the same, that is, if my smallest market team is set to Avg, I won't have any team more than very big. But that's just me. I like to keep my leagues/teams close when it comes to finances. I'm not a fan of 2 or 3 teams having mega $$$ to spend and 2 or 3 having little or nothing to spend. I like every team to have close to an equal chance to sign good FA's.

If you like having Yankee/Red Sox/Phillies/Dodgers type teams though, that dominate the financial part of the league, then you can do things to make that happen too.

But yes, if you're charging $10 more than anyone else, you're going to rake in a lot more money.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #29
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

I don't see anything wrong. In my league I have not once messed with my ticket prices The whole league is in the same ball park.
Attached Images

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #30
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If your ticket prices are 5x or 10x the league average, no one should show up. But they still do.
Apparently reality is unrealistic. Speaking as a Red Sox fan, I know how it feels to have jacked up ticket prices. Over 100 bucks and you still get a crappy view.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #31
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If your ticket prices are 5x or 10x the league average, no one should show up. But they still do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Apparently reality is unrealistic. Speaking as a Red Sox fan, I know how it feels to have jacked up ticket prices. Over 100 bucks and you still get a crappy view.
Well, we have to be specific about what kind of tickets we are talking about. Looking at the Fan Cost Index for the 2013 season, in terms of average ticket price (which excludes premium seats) the Red Sox were at $53.38 compared to a MLB figure of $27.73; that's just under twice the major league average. If you look at premium tickets exclusively, the Red Sox average was $172.51; the Yankees, on the other hand, were at $305.11. The MLB average was $90.92. That means Boston was at less than twice the league average while New York was at over three times the league average.

I think what needs to be looked at in OOTP is not the actual dollar value of the tickets compared to other clubs but rather the ratio of the highest ticket prices compared to the league average ticket price (as well as the lowest ticket price compared to the average).

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 02-16-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #32
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I've tried to establish a bit of a seasonal routine. Rightly or wrongly, I assume a large market team with genuine fan interest will be enjoying better ticket prices and the low interest teams with meager audiences would lower prices to increase attendance, and I tweak them slightly to reflect that disparity. I don't think that kind of intervention will amount to any earth shattering effect, but it makes me feel a bit more comfortable if I view the financial page comparisons.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #33
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Any way...is there any word on this from Markus? How will it be handled in 15?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #34
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1964 View Post
The whole league is in the same ball park.
That must make scheduling very difficult.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #35
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
That must make scheduling very difficult.
Figuratively speaking

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #36
Huckleberry
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
There's nothing that needs to be fixed.
That's simply not true. OOTP clearly considers ticket price in its attendance model (look at his Cubs example) but doesn't do it well enough. And online commissioners shouldn't have to police everyone that closely. It is not a gamebreaker but it's an issue that should be fixed.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #37
Gator
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf054 View Post
I'd be happy if they just made ticket price viewable to everyone. It's not like it is not public knowledge IRL. In my online league I wanted to change my ticket price but to figure out what everyone else was charging I had to divide gate revenue by attendance for everyone just to get an idea. If you could just go look it would be really easy to see if anyone is cheating and it would be easier for new GM's to know if theirs is set to a reasonable price of if the previous owner was as big of an idiot as their payroll looks like they were.

Agreed, this is an important change
Baseball will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set, Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us.
Walt Whitman
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #38
Gator
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
With your avg at $27.46, and you charging $10 higher, you're probably going to do a lot better. I find the AI generally stays within $2 - $3 of the avg. That would give you a pretty big advantage.

I do my changes during the pre-season, and then check once the season begins. The AI usually adjusts theirs when the season begins.

Irl I know ticket prices can vary a lot, especially depending on the market. But if your league is set to have different market sizes, then having all the teams within $2 - $3 is ok, because bigger markets with good fan interest draws bigger crowds. This imo is what offsets that disparity that we see irl. So even if say The Yankees and Rays both charged around $27.46 in OOTP, the Yankees would still generate far more revenue in ticket sales because of market size.

Another thing I've done to help make a difference is edit a teams merchandise revenue. If you have a Yankee type team, give them a much larger revenue from merchandise than a Tampa type team. Again, this is realistic, which would be vastly different for the Yanks and Rays, but not so mush so as one might think.

My understanding is that licensed merchandise revenue in baseball is actually shared equally by all teams, with the exception of merchandise sold at the stadium.
Baseball will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set, Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us.
Walt Whitman

Last edited by Gator; 04-01-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote