Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
JoBoxer
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Championship of the States? Can I?

Here is the "League" I would love to create:

A true United States Championship league. All 50 states will have one team each in the league. I will work the Division setup later. I will actually tinker with it from year to year. Maybe one year have 5 10 team Divisions. Maybe another year have 10 5 team Divisions. That will be fluid from year to year.

BUT here is the kicker -

I would like to use REAL players. Can this be done?
I want to set it up and dump all real life MLB and MiLB players into the inaugural draft pool. Can this be done? Where I have all current professional baseball players to draft from to assemble these 50 teams?
I would also have two levels of minors (AAA and AA) for each team (two cities from each state). Then probably some college feeder teams to create new meat.

Yes there would be some massive overmatches with minor league quality Pitchers facing Ordonez, Pujols, etc. Then again Kershaw and Verlander against a AAA or AA level Catcher with a .173 avg would be a no contest as well. There would be a lot of dynamics involved and creating a team through the draft would be a lot of fun with some big decisions to be made.

If OOTP14 can do this, I'd love to know. Also, what about making a decision to start it historically at any year in the past? Are there enough minor leaguers represented in the past. I know I can do a Fictional one and that would be fun too, but using REAL players would be the cat's ass.

Can OOTP13 do this as well?

Could Cano and Mauer lead Vermont to the Championship, even with the 42nd ranked pitching staff?

Please let me know if this can be done with either version of this game.
JoBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
JoBoxer
Minors (Rookie Ball)

So...50 people have looked at this post an NOBODY knows the answer to my question. Can this be done with this game?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

I believe it can be done with a modern setup. Since OOTP doesn't import historical minor leaguers, you'd probably only be able to get away with this by using the MLB quickstart. You can have a random debut of historical players each season and draft them but having 50 teams is really going to stretch the talent pool thin. Although if you do use the random debuts of historical players, then you could almost do a geographical draft where each team only drafts players from their home state. That would be pretty cool. But I think your biggest problem will be scheduling games. If you do interleague play, you could almost have a full 162 game if each team played every other team once in a three game series. That would give you a 147 game season for each team. I guess the other 15 games could come from within divisions but good luck making up that schedule!
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Create the 50 teams template. Load the MLB quickstart. Delete the MLB and all the minors, then schedule a fantasy draft.

Maybe look up at the schedules thread and find one that'll work.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
JoBoxer
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks OBSL...Still sounds like a maybe though.

I'm not worried about the schedule at all. I already have an idea what I am going to do there. My sched is going to be closer to 100 games, with maybe an expanded playoff format similar to hockey. That's one idea.

I still need to know if I start an MLB quickstart say, can I rearrange/expand all the Leagues and Divisions to my liking (or am I stuck with the traditional setup) and have all professional players including minor leaguers dropped into a draft pool to be drafted by all the teams?

Is there any way to do this?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
JoBoxer
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Man United Football Club 1878? Nice!
Just watched Oldham Draw with Everton on a last minute header in the FA Cup.

So when you say delete the MLB and all the minors. How is this done? And it can be done before anything begins?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBoxer View Post
Man United Football Club 1878? Nice!
Just watched Oldham Draw with Everton on a last minute header in the FA Cup.
Yes. I'll be watching that replay later. I stopped watching after Oldham's opener.

Quote:
So when you say delete the MLB and all the minors. How is this done? And it can be done before anything begins?

Thanks in advance
League Setup > Delete this League. It deletes the league and releases every player into the free agent pool. Yes, you do it right away during pre-season.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBoxer View Post
I still need to know if I start an MLB quickstart say, can I rearrange/expand all the Leagues and Divisions to my liking (or am I stuck with the traditional setup) and have all professional players including minor leaguers dropped into a draft pool to be drafted by all the teams?

Is there any way to do this?
Yeah go to League Setup then Names & Affiliations then click the Functions button in the lower right corner. Click on Edit League Structure and that will let you add divisions and teams and edit the existing structure to your liking.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
JoBoxer
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Awesome...thanks and sorry about the spoiler there...
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
Erik
All Star Reserve

Would be interesting to have a fictional league with all 50 states where the players can only play in the state in which they were born...obviously this would do away with free agency and trades, so maybe not too exciting. But maybe you could have association leagues within each state that you can pull players from to be on the Major league team. So each year you have to hand pick which players make your team based on their independent league results. Sounds like a lot of work.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
JoBoxer
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Erik,
I thought of that fictional league as well, exactly how you described it. I think it'd be fun. Not sure what year I would want to start it though. Maybe back in 1871 and add states as they entered the union? HMM...or maybe the first year all 50 states existed. So many options...
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
StratMan
Minors (Single A)

I've actually set up a fictional league of States as you mentioned in version 11. 10 divisions of 5 teams where each player had to play in his birth state.

To make it work half way decent, however, I had to export the cities and change the city populations, increasing the small states and reducing the large a bit. Without this, your drafts would include 100 California players for every Wyoming player which was way too skewed.

I never really played through the whole league, however, so I can't comment on how "fun" it was, but I enjoyed setting it up.

Afterward, I was thinking that the best way to make it work would be to set up each state as a nation, however, so you could force teams to draft players from their own state rather than manually drafting for them all.
StratMan is offline   Reply With Quote