Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
richmadky
Bat Boy

Anyone Play OOTP Just For Season Replay?

Other games use last year’s stats or this year’s projected stats to play a past or current season without GM work or trades. Does anyone play OOTP that way? Just to use the engine to play the games, without all the other stuff. Is that even possible?
richmadky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
Dr.K
Major Leagues

I have played that way once but then I want to be GM. So I think in all the years I've played this game I do career with OOTP development on. I do think that any combination is now possible so customizable is the game.
Dr.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmadky View Post
Other games use last year’s stats or this year’s projected stats to play a past or current season without GM work or trades. Does anyone play OOTP that way? Just to use the engine to play the games, without all the other stuff. Is that even possible?
This is my preferred play mode. Manage-only.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

yes.
I have played a number of seasons
1986, 1919, 1969, 1968, 1997, 2003, 1977 and many others.
always a blast just to re-play a season and play the games out and see if you could do better with a certain team.

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
richmadky
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
This is my preferred play mode. Manage-only.
And there’s a way to do this without having trades, call ups and demotions?
Old 03-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Yes.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #7
Hooray Saturday
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
And there’s a way to do this without having trades, call ups and demotions?
you can turn off trades, turn off injuries, etc...

or if you want to do a super realistic season replay you can play with as-played lineups and transactions. Trades, call ups, demotions, injuries, etc happen exactly as they did in real life.

Also, when setting up a season for season replay, you can have the game optimize everything for a single season replay. You can turn off development so that none of the player ratings will change or "develop".
Hooray Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:04 AM   #8
richmadky
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooray Saturday View Post

or if you want to do a super realistic season replay you can play with as-played lineups and transactions. Trades, call ups, demotions, injuries, etc happen exactly as they did in real life.

Also, when setting up a season for season replay, you can have the game optimize everything for a single season replay. You can turn off development so that none of the player ratings will change or "develop".
This sounds good. Can you preset lineups vs lefty and righty for all teams? Can you set rotations and have them used exactly as setup? I've seen games that skip the 5th starter or even the 4th if the #1 starter has recovered fatigue-wise early for some reason. Also, how difficult is it to put players on this year's teams? Tough to "draft" them there?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:50 AM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooray Saturday View Post

Call ups, demotions and injuries are not part of real lineups at this time. Hopefully in the near future. With real lineups, you get the actual lineups for each game. If Ty Cobb was hurt that day in history, he won't be in the starting lineup, but he will be available off the bench.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:54 AM   #10
richmadky
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Call ups, demotions and injuries are not part of real lineups at this time. Hopefully in the near future. With real lineups, you get the actual lineups for each game. If Ty Cobb was hurt that day in history, he won't be in the starting lineup, but he will be available off the bench.
That sounds like "as played". I'm not interested in that. I just want current rosters (without people on the DL) to play the current season.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:05 AM   #11
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

No offence intended but why play a 'stripped down' version of the game when there are other games that play just like that but don't have all the other stuff that OOTP can offer?
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:31 AM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry58 View Post
No offence intended but why play a 'stripped down' version of the game when there are other games that play just like that but don't have all the other stuff that OOTP can offer?
With OOTP you pay for the game and you get access to every season baseball has to offer. I think that's a pretty big deal. I have no clue what that would cost playing those other games, but I imagine it would be quite expensive.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #13
Reed
All Star Starter

I don’t play single seasons on other games for several reasons but a big reason is cost. If I were to play several seasons on other games it would potentially cost hundreds of dollars since you buy the seasons individually.
I don’t believe their stat accuracy is much (if any) better than OOTP.
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #14
Clavette
Major Leagues

Thats the best part of ootp. You have unlimited options and can play how you please.
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:39 AM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That sounds like "as played". I'm not interested in that. I just want current rosters (without people on the DL) to play the current season.
You can also play using just real transactions. The real life trades, signings, cuts will be made, but otherwise you are in charge. If you "manage only" you make all the in game decisions, lineups, subs, pitching changes etc. If you combo gm/manage you can promote and demote as well. Or you can just GM. So many ways to play.

Earlier you asked about setting pitching rotations. OOTP offers 3 options
Always start highest rested...which does what you brought up in that it will skip a 5th starter if the number one guy is rested

Strict, occasionally start the highest rested

Strict
Old 03-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #16
richmadky
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry58 View Post
Fair question. With SOM, the cards are based on last season's stats only, so a player who was injured all or part of the season would have a card of a very small sample size or none at all. It's my understanding that OOTP players have ratings based on their career, not just a single season. That seems more realistic to me.

Also, SOM doesn't offer pitch by pitch mode. OOTP does. SOM's graphics are extremely rudimentary. OOTP appears to have taken a huge leap forward.

The SOM pitcher fatigue rules are far too simple, in my opinion. Going a different direction seems interesting to me.

So, although I have no interest in fictitious progression of minor leaguers nor trades that would never happen in real life, OOTP has my attention.

Last edited by richmadky; 03-25-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #17
KenOC
Bat Boy

I like doing the "as played" season replays and playing the games out. It certainly takes a long time but it gives you a feel for the era and a knowledge of the players. I just imported a Cleveland Indians 1954 replay that I started with OOTP 18 in Challenge mode. I'm in the middle of August and a game out of first.
KenOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #18
Victor
Minors (Single A)

I started a 1985 replay today, and all the facegens seem to be there except for Cal Ripken. Any reason this would be?
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:46 PM   #19
Mota
Minors (Single A)

I play the "season replay" game for totally different reasons. I like the fact that the game engine is on full display, and that you know when the fielder made a catch that would've been a hit for most other players. The game is designed to replay a past season and I think does a great job with that.

OOTP19 is a much more versatile game, and to me is about building your own future, not replaying the past (although it does a good job of that as well). In terms of technology, OOTP is a million years ahead, this year in particular took a huge jump forward, while the other game is basically the same as it was 10 years ago.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:14 PM   #20
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
It's my understanding that OOTP players have ratings based on their career, not just a single season. That seems more realistic to me.
You can do both in OOTP.
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote