Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #1
Xogo
Minors (Triple A)

thoughts on desktop v laptop

Thinking about getting a new PC for many reasons. But when it comes to this game Id like to hear what people think about laptop v desktop.

Ive had desktop for years. But for this game, since I see myself playing in 3D mode almost exclusively, Im concerned a laptop screen may be too small.

Thoughts?

PS will not buy mac
Xogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #2
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xogo View Post
Thinking about getting a new PC for many reasons. But when it comes to this game Id like to hear what people think about laptop v desktop.

Ive had desktop for years. But for this game, since I see myself playing in 3D mode almost exclusively, Im concerned a laptop screen may be too small.

Thoughts?

PS will not buy mac
You can always hook a monitor up to your laptop (this is what I do).

Laptop v desktop comes down to portability to me. Do you want to take your game with you? Then laptop. Just playing at home? Then desktop, which will likely be the cheaper option as well.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Mat
All Star Reserve

definitely laptop for me. I could play on the couch for hours!
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
definitely laptop for me. I could play on the couch for hours!
This. Laptop more comfortable. Plus two things:
  • You can buy a laptop these days with a relatively large screen. I think mine is 1920 x 1080, something like that (I am typing this on my desktop at work which I hate for a number of reasons )
  • With a laptop, you tend to have the screen a bit closer to your face anyway so that 1920 x 1080 is just fine; any larger on a laptop and you would start getting eye fatigue from having to look up, down, and sideways to see everything.
Other guys will weigh in here saying that a desktop with a jumbotron, or two jumbotrons, is the way to go. I salute them but I can tell you that I have enjoyed OOTPB on said laptop for the past several seasons and my heinie thanks me regularly for my thoughtfulness.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I have only played OOTP on laptop ... can take game with you everywhere as I do and even on plane when traveling. Desktop too limiting
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
32koufax
Minors (Single A)

I have my complete game on a USB stick. Play at home on my laptop, which I hook up to my 55 inch TV. Play at work on my desktop using a smaller tv monitor of 35 inches or so.
Perfect for me.
Jack
32koufax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

how big is the USB stick as I have always wanted to do that and be able to move it to one laptop to another ?? What zip program if any did you use ... Bottomline is how did you get the game on the stick???
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
OOTP runs on anything built in the last decade. Just get what is most comfortable/fits your budget.

Just be careful with some laptops running high DPI displays since OOTP has not figured out how to scale properly and ends up looking very off.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #9
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

I played OOTP on a desktop for years. Been retired for 14 years and about 3 years ago I bought myself a high-end Asus laptop with a 17 inch screen and ever since then I have been playing OOTP on my laptop sitting in my La-Z-Boy recliner while watching television. Life doesn't get any better then that. I play all my games out in 3D mode, it plays very well and I never had any issues.

Last edited by BusterKing; 03-06-2018 at 10:50 AM.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
Reggie
Major Leagues

I played on desktop for years and thought it would be the way I always played. Then I inherited my kids laptop when I got him a new one. The day I played OOTP in the waiting room when my kid had his wisdom teeth removed is when I realized the mobility of the laptop far outweighed anything I thought was a benefit of the desktop.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
Reggie
Major Leagues

Also, I had a major major operation that had me in the hospital for a week. The first thing I asked for was someone to bring my laptop.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #12
Xogo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
OOTP runs on anything built in the last decade. Just get what is most comfortable/fits your budget.

Just be careful with some laptops running high DPI displays since OOTP has not figured out how to scale properly and ends up looking very off.
Since im kind of a laptop noob, can you tell me what is considered high DPI and how it would be noted on the description of the laptop. So i know what NOT to buy. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #13
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Since im kind of a laptop noob, can you tell me what is considered high DPI and how it would be noted on the description of the laptop. So i know what NOT to buy. Thanks.

Its hard to define. But if you try and fit a 1920x1080 screen on a 15.4" screen then Windows has to scale it up by say 200% so make everything readable.
Windows and some games handle it well.
OOTP handles it terribly and Markus has indicated it is not being addressed this version.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #14
Xogo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Its hard to define. But if you try and fit a 1920x1080 screen on a 15.4" screen then Windows has to scale it up by say 200% so make everything readable.
Windows and some games handle it well.
OOTP handles it terribly and Markus has indicated it is not being addressed this version.
So wouldnt that be every laptop and youre saying the game wont look right regardless of what laptop?

Or is it just having to get a 17" screen?
Old 03-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #15
T-Bone
Minors (Double A)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
I played OOTP on a desktop for years. Been retired for 14 years and about 3 years ago I bought myself a high-end Asus laptop with a 17 inch screen and ever since then I have been playing OOTP on my laptop sitting in my La-Z-Boy recliner while watching television. Life doesn't get any better then that. I play all my games out in 3D mode, it plays very well and I never had any issues.
That sounds like a cool retirement!!
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #16
BlueSkull
Minors (Single A)

I would add that while last year's version ran on older machines, there was a massive difference in things like simming an entire season on the new desktop I built last year vs a 2 year old laptop (a MacBook pro). Obviously you can get a laptop that has great specs these days, but simming a season or multiple seasons was so much better on the desktop. So this is obvious, but if you're on a fixed budget, then there is definitely a performance vs. portability tradeoff.
BlueSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:20 PM   #17
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I use a laptop or a 2 in 1 when i am watching tv but if im running a lot of seasons i prefer my desktop.
Maybe its just bad luck but every laptop, 2 in 1, tablet seems to get hot when running multiple seasons. It may be normal but i had to have my Surface 3 replaced when it shut down while playing Civ 6. Never would come back on.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #18
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Best device I have ever used for ootp was a surface pro. The portability and pen added a lot to the game for me. This time around I have the surface book 2 so i'm expecting even better results.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #19
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Everybody has different needs. I played on a laptop for years. I'm retired now, only play at home, and most importantly, the eyes are showing their wear and tear, so playing on a desktop with a large monitor suits me. I can't focus well enough on a laptop anymore.

Don't even mention tablets to me - my wife bought one, my thumb covers half the screen - ya sure, I'm gonna play ootp on that
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #20
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
So wouldnt that be every laptop and youre saying the game wont look right regardless of what laptop?

Or is it just having to get a 17" screen?
I don't think that's what's being said, but it would be good to know for sure. I haven't been able to get 3D to work on my older laptop and was considering buying a new one soon. Was told it has something to do with my video card. Obviously, I'm not overly computer hardware literate.

So, what are the minimum specs? Minimum screen size? Can you find a laptop under $800 that would work?
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote