Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:55 AM   #1
mars001
All Star Reserve

I like the in-game spray chart, but it's hard to read

Maybe it is a screen resolution issue, but so many dots in such a small pane, make it hard to read. Maybe a zone chart instead?
Attached Images
mars001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
andyhdz
All Star Starter

zone chart is brilliant. Having that as an option in addition to the spray chart would be great. I suggest you post that in the feedback.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
cbbl
All Star Starter

I concur that the zone chart option is a good idea, but as for the hard to read you can click on the player and see the spray chart there more easily. It's not in game, but easier to read.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbl View Post
I concur that the zone chart option is a good idea, but as for the hard to read you can click on the player and see the spray chart there more easily. It's not in game, but easier to read.
Yeah, the one in-game is more intended to give a quick feel for where he hits things, and the fact that it lines up with the current fielders you can get a better sense of whether you want a hard shift or a soft shift, potentially.

If you want to dig deeper to tendencies obviously the player page is better. We can think about the summary idea, though.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yeah, the one in-game is more intended to give a quick feel for where he hits things, and the fact that it lines up with the current fielders you can get a better sense of whether you want a hard shift or a soft shift, potentially.

If you want to dig deeper to tendencies obviously the player page is better. We can think about the summary idea, though.
I think I like the idea of the summary zone chart precisely because of what you said above, that it is intended to give a quick feel. The chart idea as shown above does exactly that and is such an easy read visually. Though I see what you mean about the current one lining up with the fielders positioning.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
Yarideki
Minors (Double A)

I would like it if the fielder positions widget could be made a size or two larger.
Yarideki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:40 PM   #7
seven
All Star Reserve

One hitch with this display is that if you leave it on, although the spray chart changes when the batter changes, the shift display does not change reliably. Often it will just stay the same (e.g., no shift indicated, even though the players on the field clearly are in a shift).
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:00 AM   #8
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

I love the idea of a zone chart. It would give us more useful information and be much easier to read.
5-4-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:59 AM   #9
seven
All Star Reserve

The example below shows what I meant by the problem with the display that shows the defensive alignment. Clearly there is a shift on, but the defensive display says there is no shift.
Attached Images
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:10 AM   #10
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

I have yet to see the spray chart, I assume because I play with low-level stats. Obviously, it hasn't been a high-priority for me, but would like to know if the stats level is the reason I don't see the dots.

(I can see the field display when I choose spray chart when looking at player pages, there just aren't any "dots." Yes, games have been played.)
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #11
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasta la vista pelota View Post
I have yet to see the spray chart, I assume because I play with low-level stats. Obviously, it hasn't been a high-priority for me, but would like to know if the stats level is the reason I don't see the dots.

(I can see the field display when I choose spray chart when looking at player pages, there just aren't any "dots." Yes, games have been played.)
Yes, on lower stats levels we do not store the information needed to generate the spray charts.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #12
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I love the spray charts...it’s something I had been suggesting for years. Great job guys!!

My next recommendation is maybe heat maps. This would require pitch location to somehow be introduced to OOTP. Scouting for MLB players should be different than scouting at the minor league level. Prospects are obviously graded on the 5 tools...but major league scouting should be more production based. Part of it is pitch location...certain hitters have certain pitches they can hit better and also depending on location. So at the MLB it really becomes about matchups between certain types of hitters and certain types of pitchers.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote