Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 11-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
joehart
All Star Starter

Impressions, Question, and Concerns

Warning…this message ended up longer than I wanted it to be but it has some impressions and concerns about Perfect team.

Having multiple cards for the same player is a very nice touch and adds some new strategy to the game.
Example: Do I want to start the 69R Rookie Sensation Ichiro or do I prefer the 2004 Record Breaker 69R version. Or skip using him in RF and look for the CF Ichiro version 70R.

I hope we will find more of this multiple card model applied to other players, especially players that had ok years (not All-Star level) but have not been able to transition it to 2018-Live cards.
Example: Kyle Seager 2016 year. He had improved stats but was not an AllStar.
I would love to see a way for OOTP players to request cards from within the game, especially for certain players and years that may not justify the automatic card creation by the OOTP DEV team.
Example: Fernando Rodney 2014 year. My 8 year old (already hooked on OOTP) asked if he is available as a Mariners card that he remembers watching live at Safeco. I don't know if he is and how to let him request it.

Concerns:
Power Creep
While it is great to have lots of players in the higher ratings (80s and 90s), I find myself missing the enjoyment of using players in the 50s and 60s.

I think power creep sets in very quickly and a large majority of cards and players get abandoned too quickly. We are barely a few days/weeks into the game and many cards will never be touched or played again.
I already forgot what it was to have an OOTP team made up with just lower level players.
I find it sad that I never build a close association with the lower level players.
I moved on too quickly and never found joy of using my favorite real life players that have lower stats.

I don’t think there is a panacea solution here since there are so many baseball cards and the auction system will quickly lead to a reduction in price and then to a power creep.

I fear the days that my team becomes stagnant and I don’t want to comeback every day because I have very little interest in upgrading positions and strategy and get bored of the same thing over and over.

Some other games handle the daily game and whale problem slightly better. Example, in the Marvel Puzzle Quest game, I can whale myself from 1star to 5star characters, but it takes a lot longer and 1000s of dollars. It also forces me to have and use 2* and 3* characters daily to continue my progress.

I would love to be able to select my league and lock myself into a lower level competition for the entire year while staying focused on lower level players.

Question: Maybe a league that only allows players up to Rating of 69 (Black/Bronze league vs Silver/Gold league) or maybe a league that only allows the starting team to have a combined Ratings value of N?
I like the strategy of maybe selecting a player with a rating of 80 but then having to sacrifice some points in other areas to make up the team and stay within a certain threshold.

I would love to hear more ideas and comments from the developers on future plans to maximize the lower level cards.
Maybe the yearly release cycle of OOTP version will help alleviate some of my concerns and reset the joys that many of us get from searching for better players and upgrading positions and game strategies.

Other Questions:
Can I select American vs National league? For some reason, every team in our family ended up in the NL.

Can I select my league and end up in the same league with my friends?
Example, I would love to be able to compete against other friends and family members in the same league.

Again, a big thank you to the entire development team and folks involved in the new game mode and ongoing OOTP development. So many other better funded teams out there fail doing what you did.
I think OOTP19 will go down as one of the more memorable releases.

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for your comments.

One thing to suggest regarding power creep:

You are allowed to have up to three accounts per license. (The second and third accounts do require unique email addresses.) I took advantage of this to start a second team comprised of only players from my favorite team. I had to transition to this from the starter set, but it did not take long to accomplish. Now I am working on converting it to only historical (i.e. not 2018 MLB) players from this franchise.

I don't care how long this takes or how well the team does (although it is doing quite well at the moment). The beauty of this endeavor is that the team must contain lesser players in key roles because there just aren't enough star players to fill the team. Plus I have enjoyed collecting the common players that go along with the team.

You might consider trying this as a way to enjoy your lesser cards.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #3
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
You are allowed to have up to three accounts per license. (The second and third accounts do require unique email addresses.) I took advantage of this to start a second team comprised of only players from my favorite team.
I am going to try this but not until it goes live. One more season does not really give me much time otherwise
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #4
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
Question: Maybe a league that only allows players up to Rating of 69 (Black/Bronze league vs Silver/Gold league) or maybe a league that only allows the starting team to have a combined Ratings value of N?

I like the strategy of maybe selecting a player with a rating of 80 but then having to sacrifice some points in other areas to make up the team and stay within a certain threshold.
Love this idea!
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

When we introduce tournaments in OOTP 20 we will have several uniqueones daily which have certain restrictions, eg. "only players from the Braves" or "only players from 1940 to 1960" or "only players with a value of < 60" etc. This will take care of many concerns and will be tons of fun!
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
joehart
All Star Starter

Thank you for the comments.

I established an additional team with a self imposed bronze or below rating roster.
As expected, selling some of the Silver-Gold players quickly produced enough points to build out the team.
I posted the team progress to the Dynasty Perfect Team forum.

Let's see if the team can compete with bigger and better teams.
So far, this has been the most fun team.

Markus, really appreciate your OOTP20 plans. All the additional tournaments could be challenging and helpful to avoid grind boredom.

Have you already decided on the length of the tournaments?
Is this a season or much smaller sub-event?
Old 11-17-2018, 05:53 AM   #7
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
Markus, really appreciate your OOTP20 plans. All the additional tournaments could be challenging and helpful to avoid grind boredom.

Have you already decided on the length of the tournaments?
Is this a season or much smaller sub-event?
There will be various sizes, some as large as 1024 teams, others just 8 teams, for some quick fun in-between. We'll also reduce the sim cycle between these, so sims are run every 10 minutes. This is still to be decided, though.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
joehart
All Star Starter

I did not expect to see tournaments with that many teams but this is absolutely great.

I assume you refer to tournaments as giant leagues with lots of teams or are you suggesting a March Madness-type tournament as well? This may drive some additional investments into overall rosters as well hence more free donuts at the office.

Both have their pros and cons.

Large leagues with lots of teams playing an entire season will most likely separate the stronger teams (like the NBA playoffs. The better teams usually win in the long run) but single game eliminations give weaker teams a chance to pull upsets (like fantasy football playoffs).

It would be great to have both styles. A longer season long large tournament with lots of teams while also having a quicker 5-6 hour March madness event.