Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #861
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
Actually, apparently it was the owners that backed Spanos into the corner. He wanted to pair with the Raiders.

If anyone has 10 minutes and the interest to read a long article about the NFL's move back into Los Angeles, this article is a fantastic read, even if it's written by Seth Wickersham: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ts-los-angeles
I've read that article before and I am familiar with the situation.

Spanos could still have gone back to SanDiego & tried to work a deal or he could have just bided his time for another opportunity. But he didn't want to walk back to SD w/his tail between his legs. The fact is more and more municipalities are reluctant to give billionaires billion dollar palaces so that they can become multi-billionaires while getting very little input and even less guarantees they wont be going thru the same cycle a decade or so later. Spanos was going to have to put up more of his fortune to get his building and he doesn't have it. He was going to have to relinquish more incentives and he didn't want to do it. So in his mind he may think he was forced into this situation, but the reality is he wasn't. SD called his bluff, he didn't have the hand he thought, so he left the table w/what chips he had before the next cards could be dealt.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #862
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I've read that article before and I am familiar with the situation.

Spanos could still have gone back to SanDiego & tried to work a deal or he could have just bided his time for another opportunity. But he didn't want to walk back to SD w/his tail between his legs. The fact is more and more municipalities are reluctant to give billionaires billion dollar palaces so that they can become multi-billionaires while getting very little input and even less guarantees they wont be going thru the same cycle a decade or so later. Spanos was going to have to put up more of his fortune to get his building and he doesn't have it. He was going to have to relinquish more incentives and he didn't want to do it. So in his mind he may think he was forced into this situation, but the reality is he wasn't. SD called his bluff, he didn't have the hand he thought, so he left the table w/what chips he had before the next cards could be dealt.
He was already in a holding pattern with San Diego for years. Considering the proposition was entirely thrust upon him, I highly doubt he could have just bided his time without retribution from the league in the form of pulling revenue sharing or the like (which I'm sure the Chargers relied upon to a degree considering the lack of support the team had in San Diego). He also spent $15 million on a fruitless last-ditch effort to keep the team in San Diego; while that may be nothing to him, billionaires don't stay billionaires by throwing away money like that so I'm sure he felt it was the substantial sum that it is.

I understand your point of view and I agree with it (I'm happy my team built their stadium entirely with private funds), but I just don't think things are as cut-and-dry black-and-white as you make them out to be.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #863
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Retribution from the league? What retribution?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #864
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Josh Gordon not having a good day

Josh Gordon suspended indefinitely for violating NFL's policy against performance-enhancing drugs
Old 12-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #865
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Retribution from the league? What retribution?

Like I said, the league could've pulled revenue sharing from the team, which I'm sure they relied upon to a degree. Considering the team was last in attendance in their final season in San Diego it definitely helps and I could see the league pulling that if they remained in a holding pattern against their wishes.

On the other hand, I've found through searching around that the Chargers, from relocation fees and lease-ending fees and all that, have had to pay around $700 million, while the league pledged $300 million to help build a new stadium in San Diego if they were so inclined. So that's $1 billion towards what was expected to be a $1.2 billion proposal for a San Diego stadium; considering the team was able to borrow to pay that franchise relocation fee (they made less revenue in their last season in San Diego than Cleveland did that year, after all), and considering it would be a fully privatized stadium, I'm sure they could have borrowed that last $200 million if they needed to. So I don't feel as bad for Spanos and the Chargers as I may have before.

More than anything I feel for the diehard fans of the team that are watching their team be mismanaged by someone whose financial conservatism has allowed him to be bullied around and has cost the team multiple opportunities to take control of their own destiny. The Chargers will continue to be a joke under Dean Spanos.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #866
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
Like I said, the league could've pulled revenue sharing from the team, which I'm sure they relied upon to a degree. Considering the team was last in attendance in their final season in San Diego it definitely helps and I could see the league pulling that if they remained in a holding pattern against their wishes.
Where did you get that? Was that in the article? I don;t remember that.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #867
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

NFLPA vs the Jaguars Tom Coughlin once more being Mr. Sunshine.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #868
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I find this to be SOP with any business with a union. A business typically doesn't like the restrictions put on them by a contract, MOA, or any other agreement and will sometimes make things up as they go along.. The hope is no one complains out of fear or ignorance.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #869
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Is anyone surprised? I was glad when the Browns got rid of him....all that talent....what a waste.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:48 PM   #870
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Lost my first ever paid fantasy football league playoff game as the #4 seed against the #1 seed 138.4 to 137.4 was up by 23 points going into MNF against Michael Thomas.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:22 AM   #871
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:

The idea that Coughlin still has his job in Jax is ludicrous
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #872
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

The thought that the Jags make up less than a 30th of the league, but a fourth of the complaints speaks volumes.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #873
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

I have to admit, as an incredibly skeptical Chiefs fan, I like the claim on Terrell Suggs. I think I would tell him "You might have a great chance at Brady again!" and let him pin his ears back the rest of the year. He may not be what he once was, but I think he will put it in 5th gear to get at Brady again!
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:49 PM   #874
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Coughlan suffered the wrath of Khan today.

I think the reason why Khan took so long to let Ramsey be traded was because he was going to fire Coughlin once the season ended and hoped that would solve the problem. I hope this ends Coughlan's career in football. In fact, I hope he stays unemployed no matter what the occupation. This is an uncaring grouch, dictator & bully who should never be put in charge of any human being unless you're looking to inflict mental trauma on somebody. I couldn't even fully enjoy the Giants upsetting the Pats in the SB because that sorry excuse for a butt wipe got the victory. When he dies, they probably should keep his gravesite a secret less they risk his former players marching one by one to kick his gravestone.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #875
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think the reason why Khan took so long to let Ramsey be traded was because he was going to fire Coughlin once the season ended and hoped that would solve the problem. I hope this ends Coughlan's career in football. In fact, I hope he stays unemployed no matter what the occupation. This is an uncaring grouch, dictator & bully who should never be put in charge of any human being unless you're looking to inflict mental trauma on somebody. I couldn't even fully enjoy the Giants upsetting the Pats in the SB because that sorry excuse for a butt wipe got the victory. When he dies, they probably should keep his gravesite a secret less they risk his former players marching one by one to kick his gravestone.
Agreed 100%. Unfortunately Tom doesn't need to extend his career and can sit back in his rocking chair and terrorize long tailed cats for the rest of his life. He's set. But it's about time he's out.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #876
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Now tell us how you really feel.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #877
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
Now tell us how you really feel.
He sorta rubs me the wrong way.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #878
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He sorta rubs me the wrong way.
Strange to read that "the NFL Players Association warned players of potentially signing with the franchise because of excessive fines and player grievances." He had turned into such a sweetie pie in his final seasons with the Giants. Seems he reverted back to form in Jax.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #879
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

After the Cowboys loss to the Eagles, Jason Garrett's job is still safe. There's no reason for him to be fired. They can still make the playoffs and go on a championship run. There is no reason to fire him now. There is a good chance they can still rebound.

And I have some ocean front property in the middle of Missouri.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #880
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Some are in the NFL to play football games. Some to win football games. Dallas, ya'll got a bunch of players, not winners.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance