Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 11-25-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

New To OOTP & New To Baseball In General

Hey guys,

I stumbled onto the forums here yesterday looking for information on BTS as I'm a big football fan (from England) but with not much in the offing for the time being atleast, I started snooping around the OOTP15 forums and I'm hooked, almost, and very interested in purchasing the game and giving it a go, even though I have a very, very limited knowledge of baseball, if any at all.

That said I am a huge sports management sim fan (mainly soccer & football) and if it counts for anything I've seen Moneyball and Major League so I'm looking for some direction to any newbie style walkthroughs and knowledge bases, so that I can get immersed in the game and pick up a little more understanding of baseball in general.

I saw a few threads yesterday and will try and revisit them today but I guess general tips on team building, strategy and gameplay would be helpful. Strong spine right? Invest in P, 2B, SS & CF?

Also, any tips on who to start with? The temptation is to go with the A's but why the hell would they fire Billy Bean and hire a rookie from the UK? I'm a Liverpool FC fan so maybe Mr Henry would give me a shot with the Red Sox? Doubtful... I'm a big Bears fan too so maybe the Cubs? I'd probably have a shot there.

Anyway... Any help, guidance and advice is greatly appreciated in advance.
davehibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehibb View Post
.. I'm a big Bears fan too so maybe the Cubs? I'd probably have a shot there.
Forget the Cubs and go with the White Sox, Cubs are pitiful.

There are some Youtube tutorials for OOTP and how to setup leagues and how to play a bit. It will take some time as you are not used to baseball to get going. Be patient and ask any questions you might have, everyone is really helpful here even when they are not being helpful.
Maybe start with a small fictional UK league since you are more familiar with the team names. Maybe take the Premier League names and turn them into baseball. Justafan should have all the logos and I am sure someone has all the jerseys. Several people on here play Regulation leagues.
Create a dynasty thread to get totally immersed into your league and draw the rest of us in as well.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Forget the Cubs and go with the White Sox, Cubs are pitiful.

There are some Youtube tutorials for OOTP and how to setup leagues and how to play a bit. It will take some time as you are not used to baseball to get going. Be patient and ask any questions you might have, everyone is really helpful here even when they are not being helpful.
Maybe start with a small fictional UK league since you are more familiar with the team names. Maybe take the Premier League names and turn them into baseball. Justafan should have all the logos and I am sure someone has all the jerseys. Several people on here play Regulation leagues.
Create a dynasty thread to get totally immersed into your league and draw the rest of us in as well.
I watched a few tutorials on youtube last night

I guess it doesn't really matter where I start as I have so little knowledge of players etc. so I guess my judgement wont be clouded by sentimentality... Atleast until after the first season.

The main questions I have and I'm sure they are very newbie-ish... there's no salary cap in the MLB? So basically the more money you make the more you can spend? Are there any OOTP15 strategies for achieving that?

Is there a definitive all in one mod bundle that includes everything, logos, facegen etc. that's easy to install... when i actually get the game, which is likely to be tomorrow.

And wouldn't I be better starting with someone like the Cubs to learn the game, where there should be less pressure to win now?

I used to create dynasty threads for my FOF online leagues but alas time is short for such things these days but never say never.

Thanks for the response.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Boozie1580
All Star Starter

As far as the financials, you're right, it's basically spend what you can afford (with the exception of some terrible owners who spend much less than they can afford). I believe there is an all-in-one mod, but someone else will probably have to point you in that direction, I mainly do historical and fictional so I'm not 100% sure where it's located.

Boozie1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
The Game
Hall Of Famer

[QUOTE=davehibb;3778364
The main questions I have and I'm sure they are very newbie-ish... there's no salary cap in the MLB? So basically the more money you make the more you can spend? Are there any OOTP15 strategies for achieving that?[/QUOTE]
You want to make $$ play as the Yankees. Fans + winning = $$

Quote:
Is there a definitive all in one mod bundle that includes everything, logos, facegen etc. that's easy to install... when i actually get the game, which is likely to be tomorrow.
Under File you will see add ons Central (It shoudl load automatically, if it does not PM Bigrod for the solution as i forgot if this has been fixed or not.) Form there you will see facegens, logos and perhaps an older version of the all in one. I personally recommend downloading these manually and keeping them separate from OOTP files. Having the historical logos in the OOTP logos folder will mess up logos if you play modern and a historical league.
Put the Fg files in the fg folder other then that i keep them all in different folders on my PC.
No Pepper/Ashante Warrior have a great historical uniform set. Reds 1 has the best 2014 uniform set goes back to 1969ish. He also has logos. Look fort both files in those forum members sigs or in their threads.
ootpmods.com has many other files you will want to use. Namely stadium pic/graphic sets and accurate .prk files which has dimensions and such but that is more for historical.
Pwal has the coolest uniform set as of now which was created by David Miller on another forum. see more of it here.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...niforms-2.html

"Stay Strong"

Old 11-26-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks guys.

Hopefully I'll be purchasing the game this evening after work and spend a little times getting accustomed to it. Then I guess the questions will really start.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:45 AM   #7
Izz
Hall Of Famer

I'd recommend diving into some of the dynasty reports, too. You can pick up some good tips and get a feel for the game through them. I'd recommend any dynasty that Orcin has written. Here's one if you're interested: Orcin's story

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:41 AM   #8
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have had my nose in a few of Dynasty Reports and have been trawling one or two other newbie and knowledge base threads. There's a lot to take in but I did purchase the game last night so I was able to have a little hands on time too.

After starting an MLB save I quickly set up an Italian league save and played that as for a total newbie the MLB and all the minor leagues and just the sheer scale seemed a little daunting to me.

I have played up to the playoffs with Rimini, one of the top sides, who have lost in the last 3 real life championships I think. Just getting a feel for things and mainly playing as a GM in Commish mode, though I have done a few games as manager, rather than quick simming them all.

I haven't made too many moves, just signed one FA and selected our draft class, though I can't figure out how the hell to sign them. Hah. I click on the sign draftees and it's just a blank page.

I've pretty much left line ups to managers etc and I plan to sim a few seasons in this league to get to grips with the everyday roster management etc. that a GM handles and get a feel for the ratings and the type of teams I want to put together.

I know people will play the game different ways but do most guys get their teams/lineups in place and sim weeks/months at a time? How much simming is too much? The Italian league regular season is only about 40 games long or something so albeit mostly quick playing, I've simmed days/weeks at a time.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:11 AM   #9
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I haven't made too many moves, just signed one FA and selected our draft class, though I can't figure out how the hell to sign them. Hah. I click on the sign draftees and it's just a blank page.
Maybe they're already signed? Not sure what the default settings are for the Italian league, but it could be that you don't need to go through the process of offering/signing. Have you checked your minor leagues/reserve roster (again, not sure how that league is set up) to see if they're there?

Quote:
I know people will play the game different ways but do most guys get their teams/lineups in place and sim weeks/months at a time? How much simming is too much? The Italian league regular season is only about 40 games long or something so albeit mostly quick playing, I've simmed days/weeks at a time.
Yeah, all really depends on how in-depth you want to play, how much immersion you want, how much time you have, whether you're a big picture guy or a details man. Personally, if i'm running a team, i tend to tinker with the lineups every week, and sim day-by-day (i also tend to play out every game if i'm managing, pitch-by-pitch, too, so take from that what you will ). Some players sim week-by-week, or month-by-month, or even a whole season, letting their manager do all the heavy lifting. I know it sounds vague, but experimenting and finding what works best for you is really the way to go

If i'm watching a league i've created, i tend to sim week-by-week during the offseason, reading all the news stories in between sims. During the season i'll sim the first 3/4 week-by-week, then day-by-day for the last quarter so i can watch tight division races, HR-races, etc. Of course, this usually takes me a lot longer than it sounds like it should, as i get distracted looking at player stats and team histories and the like.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
Old 11-27-2014, 05:22 AM   #10
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'll double check the reserve roster tonight. There's only the first team and reserve roster in the Italian league. The sign Draftees option is highlighted red still in the league menu though but I'll double check the rosters tonight.

I think for starters I'll sim week to week in the Italian league and probably month to month when I start an MLB save whilst I hone my team building skills and just micro manage games in the playoffs (hopefully) or key divisional matchups.

I've played the Football Manager/Championship Manager since it began and more recently Front Office Football and whilst I'm still new to OOTP the depth is still a little daunting/impressive. Though I do only have a few hours game time so far.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #11
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

Welcome to the community davehibb - feel free to ask any questions you come across. As far as the salary cap, you can set your league to a variety of financial options once you get more familiar, but basically there isn't one. Instead in-game your owner sets a budget and that pretty much limits your spending - you'll still have to do a good bit of salary finagling to get everything you want, even with no cap in place. In real baseball it's more of a spend what you can afford to/what the ownership will allow.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

ahhhh...the mother land. Welcome to the Forums.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #13
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I watched a few tutorials on youtube last night

I guess it doesn't really matter where I start as I have so little knowledge of players etc. so I guess my judgement wont be clouded by sentimentality... Atleast until after the first season.

The main questions I have and I'm sure they are very newbie-ish... there's no salary cap in the MLB? So basically the more money you make the more you can spend? Are there any OOTP15 strategies for achieving that?

And wouldn't I be better starting with someone like the Cubs to learn the game, where there should be less pressure to win now?

I used to create dynasty threads for my FOF online leagues but alas time is short for such things these days but never say never.

Thanks for the response.
You may find that some sort of salary cap helps in OOTP. A soft cap with tax and revenue sharing helps IMO

Edit

Welcome on board.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:20 AM   #14
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

A question about staff for the minors. I have tried to get the best staff I can in place for the Cubs and the AAA team and the AA team but is it really worth getting the best staff I can in place for the lower teams? Or just fillers? Will spending more money on better staff pay off in terms of player development in the single A and rookie minor league teams or aren't they worth the hassle?

I also just completed my first season. 70-92 with the Cubs who are indeed sucky as was I with a score of 6 out of 100 but hey, I had awful pitchers, crappy batters and no money and still getting used to things. :P I was actually surprised I didn't get fired.

I have managed to bring in a good pitcher in FA albeit for $140m over 8 years, though he did ask for $176 and a lot of the younger guys got game time towards the end of the season and developed well so hopeful season 2 will be an improvement.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #15
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A question about staff for the minors. I have tried to get the best staff I can in place for the Cubs and the AAA team and the AA team but is it really worth getting the best staff I can in place for the lower teams? Or just fillers? Will spending more money on better staff pay off in terms of player development in the single A and rookie minor league teams or aren't they worth the hassle?
Coaching staff do help development (how much exactly Marcus won't say, but they do have an effect). For your lower levels you want coaching staff who are good at handling rookies, as well as being good at whatever they're teaching.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:11 AM   #16
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Well, we improved in season 2 and were in the playoff hunt for much of the year but fell away badly in the last 3rd of the season. Haven't simmed the offseason yet, so don't know what score i'll get but we improved from 70 wins to 85.

That said, I haven't really got into the team/coach strategies and how they align and how best to use them as I'm still learning the sport. Does it hurt teams to have a manager who's strategies don't match the team strategy or indeed the players at his disposal?

I mean, I guess it will hurt some but just how much?
Old 12-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

A couple more questions...

Player Dev - My head of scouting keeps signing international amateurs that are 20/20 or 21/21 are these guys going to develop or is he just signing a lot of duds and does that stand for any guy in the minors? If some dudes is 20 rated can he improve above apparent expectations if enough cash is put into player dev?

As I'm just learning the game, I currently have scouting set to 100% accurate.

Do players have hidden potential ability or can anyone be developed?

And how the heck do I force start guys? Is it in the player screen or lineup screen?

I plane to sim weeks/month at a time as pretty much a GM only but I want to have reasonable control over lineups.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #18
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A couple more questions...

Player Dev - My head of scouting keeps signing international amateurs that are 20/20 or 21/21 are these guys going to develop or is he just signing a lot of duds and does that stand for any guy in the minors? If some dudes is 20 rated can he improve above apparent expectations if enough cash is put into player dev?

Yes but you do not have any influence over which ones or how many or when.

As I'm just learning the game, I currently have scouting set to 100% accurate.

Do players have hidden potential ability or can anyone be developed?

No hidden rating, any player can receive potential boosts that are then grown into with actual ratings. The odds of this happening decrease around age 25 (in my opinion), others may have done research on this, if so listen to them. I do not think I have seen a player receive a Potential increase after age 27.

And how the heck do I force start guys? Is it in the player screen or lineup screen?

Right click the players name, select Player Strategy, lower left box about 1/2 way down you will see Force Start with a drop down menu on the right of it.

I plane to sim weeks/month at a time as pretty much a GM only but I want to have reasonable control over lineups.

I use my manager to set the depth chart and line up. Then I use force start to put players where I want in the depth chart. I end up without much control over lineups, I consider it a trade off for how little micro management I want to do. If you want complete control you can use 7-day lineups.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:35 AM   #19
The Game
Hall Of Famer

TGH i never knew you could set player strategy by right-clicking. Thanx. Would have saved me sometime for doing guys in the minors on my 40 man. i always went to the level/team - strategy - player strategy.

"Stay Strong"

Old 12-03-2014, 03:45 AM   #20
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks TGH.

I'd just about figured the force start thing out by the time you replied but thanks for the other info too!

With the 7 day lineups, do you have to set them every 7 days? And why do they offer more control in terms of making sure the guys you want to start actually start?

Also, back to player dev. Theoretically then, any young 20 rated guy could be signed blind and there's a chance he could become a stud? Are there any tells at all as to which guys might become top players in the future?