Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 11-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
butsam
Minors (Single A)

Summarizing Drafts and Contracts?

I am starting to learn enough about MLB drafts and contracts to be dangerous because sometimes I think I know what I'm doing, but then I forget some silly things..

For example, I know the Rule 5 draft exists to ensure players don't get stuck in the minors under a very strong MLB team and are able to go to the majors on another team...and the International Draft tends to be where you pick up a very small number (frequently 0) players...the Rookie draft is where you pick up a lot of enter-level minor league talent...and so forth.

But then I forget basic things, like:
* Why would I ever sign a player to a contract during the $500K years before they are Rule 5 eligible (or if they are on my 40-man)?
* If a player won't be a free agent and yet will be arbitration-eligible, why would I ever agree to a contract that significantly exceeds the estimated arbitration amount?
* Am I forgetting about a major draft that is coming up? (Since they are multiple times a year) And how many players roughly end up getting drafted in each draft? (I know this is dependent on needs, but just a rough gauge, like "this is your chance at getting someone AAA-level into your majors" as with the rule-5, versus "this is your primary mechanism for the entry-level ballpalyers in the minors" for the rookie draft, versus others I may be forgetting? I don't want to spend all of my money before time is up; having a rough idea of how many players and of what quality I can expect will help me gauge how much money I should keep around for that time of year.)

And other such questions that enter your mind while going through drafting and contracting phases....

I am sure these questions have been addressed already. Can you point me in the right direction for these questions that aren't exactly the entry-level basics (or at least not just the entry-level basics), but are the next-level "you should really know this down pat about drafts and contracts" details?

Last edited by butsam; 11-09-2014 at 09:06 PM.
butsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsam View Post
I am starting to learn enough about MLB drafts and contracts to be dangerous because sometimes I think I know what I'm doing, but then I forget some silly things..

For example, I know the Rule 5 draft exists to ensure players don't get stuck in the minors under a very strong MLB team and are able to go to the majors on another team...and the International Draft tends to be where you pick up a very small number (frequently 0) players...the Rookie draft is where you pick up a lot of enter-level minor league talent...and so forth.

But then I forget basic things, like:
* Why would I ever sign a player to a contract during the $500K years before they are Rule 5 eligible (or if they are on my 40-man)?
* If a player won't be a free agent and yet will be arbitration-eligible, why would I ever agree to a contract that significantly exceeds the estimated arbitration amount?
* Am I forgetting about a major draft that is coming up? (Since they are multiple times a year) And how many players roughly end up getting drafted in each draft? (I know this is dependent on needs, but just a rough gauge, like "this is your chance at getting someone AAA-level into your majors" as with the rule-5, versus "this is your primary mechanism for the entry-level ballpalyers in the minors" for the rookie draft, versus others I may be forgetting? I don't want to spend all of my money before time is up; having a rough idea of how many players and of what quality I can expect will help me gauge how much money I should keep around for that time of year.)

And other such questions that enter your mind while going through drafting and contracting phases....

I am sure these questions have been addressed already. Can you point me in the right direction for these questions that aren't exactly the entry-level basics (or at least not just the entry-level basics), but are the next-level "you should really know this down pat about drafts and contracts" details?
Are you asking questions here? Because the ones you included above are easily answered by: Get organized and pay attention. "Why would you ever . . .?" The answer is, of course, you would not.

OOPTB requires organization and attention to be paid to details in order to be successful (and enjoy the game). In that regard, Manager Notes can be very helpful, especially with reminders set. But of course, you must take the time to write the notes and read the email that is sent to you when the time comes.

Not meaning to be harsh by any means here, but ask yourself what kind of game player are you? If you think you have what it takes to be successful (and enjoy this game), then you need to buckle down.

Good luck!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote