Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
Geoff Rey
Bat Boy

Need some help with my decision to buy OOTP 20

Before I ask my 20 questions, a little background.

I last owned OOTP back in its single-digit days. But, perversely, I’ve spent the last two years playing only tabletop baseball and (lately) boxing. That time away has convinced me that: (1) any return to PC baseball will be to run a league of fictional players and (2) I need flight-of-ball graphics and park sounds.

Two other games satisfy my fast-declining interest in real players, but they might never get dusted off if OOTP does what I need.

Sure, I could do a lot of work to make one of those games fit my dreams, but OOTP can give me that experience with a few clicks. But I need to ask the following questions to be sure.

This is the project I want to conduct:

Structure
- 1 league
- 8 made-up teams of fictional players
- 42-game schedule (each team plays 6 games against each rival, one 3-game series at home, one 3-game series away).
- 2nd place team would host Wild Card Game against 3rd place, and winner would play 1st-place team for the league championship.
- Every season the schedule would change, so that different matchups would occur every Opening Day.

Rules
No DH
20-man rosters (obviously, NO INJURIES)
8 pitchers — 4 SP, 1 CL, 3 RP
12 batters — 8 in starting lineup, bench* of 1 catcher, 1 outfielder who can play LF, CF, RF, 1 middle infielder who can play 2B, SS, 1 corner infielder who can play 1B,3B.
* The question is whether the game will require me to “train” the backups in extra positions or can I just edit the players to add positions and ratings without "training" them?

Future
After every season, I want to import 16 batters and 8 pitchers from the real-life world champion team and:
- Change their names.
- Make them all age 22 (and they would “age” as though the program had created them as 22-year-olds).
- Hold a three-round, straight draft, with last-place team choosing first every round, champion picking last.
- If 3rd place team happens to win the championship, the last three draft slots would be 2nd place (selecting 6th each round), 1st place (7th), 3rd place (8th/last).
- I would want to spectate one game per scheduled day — whether I’m the manager of one of those teams or not — and catch the other contests on the out-of-town scoreboard.
- If I get a mid-game urge to start managing but I’m in spectator mode, does OOTP allow me to parachute in?

Which of those things are doable with OOTP 20?

Thanks.
Geoff Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:10 AM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

you can do all of that. mostly all of that is hands-off after setup too -- except randomly selecting historic players to import and custom draft order... simply export, edit and re-import draft order any way you want it to be.... can have all 30picsk by 1 team if you wanted.

you canmanage or watch any game... you can 'act as' any gm... with comissioner mode you can do any of that easily too. many things won't require 'act as' function.

the graphics are not mlb the show, but there is a ball flying around and players moving etc etc... pawns or figures.. i haven't really looked in a while to describe anymore than that. sure there are screenshots on the main ootp web site.

the only thing that may need amending, depending, is the draft.

if it provides enough player or not may trump your wishes. can always use 'ghost platers' in minors too.

how you'd randomly select historic players would be upto you., but you can easily import and even add directly to draft pool, if that is intention, or the FA list etc... you can make a list with their bbref ID from url... usually something akin to robinsonj33 or something. just made that up... and you put in year you want them from for age... see other threads for more details on steps. quick google search will find multiple threads on it.

the schedule you point out is doable... balanced and 6*7=42 gp. as long as the math adds up, the in-game generator canmake a balanced schedule no problem for you.

you shouldn't need a custom schedule, but one likely exists in the mods forum. as long as it's 1 league and not multiple divisions, the autogenerator for the schedule can do a balanced schedule for that configuration without problems.

even with same schedule file, it will randomize matchups. the only way it won't automatically do this for you is if there are multiple matching schedule files that will work with league... it will use them in succession and repeat -- with original, first-time matchups.

if that occurs, simply delete the ones you don't want to use. (they are not lost permanently, no worries) -- you will have to do his after any update, since it re-installs default data each time -- including schedules. after an update, the league will 'see' multiple matching schedule files and do as it always does -- use them.

rules -- those are drop downs and settings unders Stats and AI or possibly some miscellaneous settings under options and rules tabs -- right next door on screen.

if you change rotation from 5sp, you do need to adjust starters fatigue -- drop down on left and not the LTM (league total modifier) on right of Stats and AI. both are similary named, and i may be typing the wrong one... so, drop-down on left will help you control size of rotation, as long as drop down specifically labels # of SP

about SPA fatigue -- each settings will relate from bottom up to 5sp, 4.5sp, 4sp, then maybe jumps to good for 3sp if not 5 settings from very low to high etc. by "4.5" i mean some of the higher stamina guys will be fully recovered after 3 days of rest instead of 4, as long as they didn't overpitch in last start relative to stamina. the guys closer and below ~100/200 stamina will still require 4 days off to recover. so, this drop down affects their recovery rate... make sure it matches rotation size, regardless of what i said above... verify it. otherwise you'll have SP pitching tired every single start with a reduced rotation and very low stamina. you likely need 2 up from bottom... very low- low- normal? or standard? etc... that "one" after 'low'

you will see and it will be obvious how to go about changing roster makeup -- I.E. by setting one factor you determine another automatically in some cases. you control the size of bench and bullpen with those various values and settigns. remember to change active roster size too. think that's in rules.

for mil -- select mil from drop down to change those roster rules as you do with MLB, if you use an MiL

you could use just an active reserve too -- wouldn't need a large draft, 3 rds likely would be overkill possibly? may need trial and error. anyway, before FA the game can handle that stuff -- the players don't decrapitate on reserve list -- likely similar to AAA or better in retention... they are 'working out' and ready if no rust on them to start. (i.e. still have to knock rust off in ST after an offseason, but once you do that and inseason, they don't gain rust on reserve list from what i know... would just be alogistical nightmare if so)

with commissioner mode you can add 200/200 experience for any and all positions. if they don't have the required skillset, you'd have to improve those too.

e.g. if turn dp < about 50, second base won't show on profile even with 200/200 exp. he will however be used there when manager and other factors determine he's the best fit. experience does matter, even if it's not visible on profile... just impossible to know without going into editor, or watching how he is used in game logs etc.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-24-2019 at 12:14 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:18 AM   #3
discodude5
Major Leagues

NoOne,
You are pretty amazing with your ability to help people out.

Don't know how you do it though. A reply like yours would take me so long just to put down in a way that makes sense with probably tons of edits that by the time I posted it you would have posted a reply that was better anyways.

I've used a lot of things you posted for others to make my game better.
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
Geoff Rey
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
you can do all of that. Mostly all of that is hands-off after setup too -- except randomly selecting historic players to import and custom draft order... Simply export, edit and re-import draft order any way you want it to be.... Can have all 30picsk by 1 team if you wanted.

You canmanage or watch any game... You can 'act as' any gm... With comissioner mode you can do any of that easily too. Many things won't require 'act as' function.

The graphics are not mlb the show, but there is a ball flying around and players moving etc etc... Pawns or figures.. I haven't really looked in a while to describe anymore than that. Sure there are screenshots on the main ootp web site.

The only thing that may need amending, depending, is the draft.

If it provides enough player or not may trump your wishes. Can always use 'ghost platers' in minors too.

How you'd randomly select historic players would be upto you., but you can easily import and even add directly to draft pool, if that is intention, or the fa list etc... You can make a list with their bbref id from url... Usually something akin to robinsonj33 or something. Just made that up... And you put in year you want them from for age... See other threads for more details on steps. Quick google search will find multiple threads on it.

The schedule you point out is doable... Balanced and 6*7=42 gp. As long as the math adds up, the in-game generator canmake a balanced schedule no problem for you.

You shouldn't need a custom schedule, but one likely exists in the mods forum. As long as it's 1 league and not multiple divisions, the autogenerator for the schedule can do a balanced schedule for that configuration without problems.

Even with same schedule file, it will randomize matchups. The only way it won't automatically do this for you is if there are multiple matching schedule files that will work with league... It will use them in succession and repeat -- with original, first-time matchups.

If that occurs, simply delete the ones you don't want to use. (they are not lost permanently, no worries) -- you will have to do his after any update, since it re-installs default data each time -- including schedules. After an update, the league will 'see' multiple matching schedule files and do as it always does -- use them.

Rules -- those are drop downs and settings unders stats and ai or possibly some miscellaneous settings under options and rules tabs -- right next door on screen.

If you change rotation from 5sp, you do need to adjust starters fatigue -- drop down on left and not the ltm (league total modifier) on right of stats and ai. Both are similary named, and i may be typing the wrong one... So, drop-down on left will help you control size of rotation, as long as drop down specifically labels # of sp

about spa fatigue -- each settings will relate from bottom up to 5sp, 4.5sp, 4sp, then maybe jumps to good for 3sp if not 5 settings from very low to high etc. By "4.5" i mean some of the higher stamina guys will be fully recovered after 3 days of rest instead of 4, as long as they didn't overpitch in last start relative to stamina. The guys closer and below ~100/200 stamina will still require 4 days off to recover. So, this drop down affects their recovery rate... Make sure it matches rotation size, regardless of what i said above... Verify it. Otherwise you'll have sp pitching tired every single start with a reduced rotation and very low stamina. You likely need 2 up from bottom... Very low- low- normal? Or standard? Etc... That "one" after 'low'

you will see and it will be obvious how to go about changing roster makeup -- i.e. By setting one factor you determine another automatically in some cases. You control the size of bench and bullpen with those various values and settigns. Remember to change active roster size too. Think that's in rules.

For mil -- select mil from drop down to change those roster rules as you do with mlb, if you use an mil

you could use just an active reserve too -- wouldn't need a large draft, 3 rds likely would be overkill possibly? May need trial and error. Anyway, before fa the game can handle that stuff -- the players don't decrapitate on reserve list -- likely similar to aaa or better in retention... They are 'working out' and ready if no rust on them to start. (i.e. Still have to knock rust off in st after an offseason, but once you do that and inseason, they don't gain rust on reserve list from what i know... Would just be alogistical nightmare if so)

with commissioner mode you can add 200/200 experience for any and all positions. If they don't have the required skillset, you'd have to improve those too.

E.g. If turn dp < about 50, second base won't show on profile even with 200/200 exp. He will however be used there when manager and other factors determine he's the best fit. Experience does matter, even if it's not visible on profile... Just impossible to know without going into editor, or watching how he is used in game logs etc.
thankyouthankyouthankyou! At last I can be J. Hemnry Waugh ...without the mental illness and paperwork!

Last edited by Geoff Rey; 03-24-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
nielsoncp
All Star Reserve

There are also now a couple hundred fictional stadiums for you to choose from in the 3d models forum, so you don't have to stare at the same default model when you play out your games. Silvam has a good tutorial on installing and using the stadiums.
nielsoncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
Geoff Rey
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsoncp View Post
There are also now a couple hundred fictional stadiums for you to choose from in the 3d models forum, so you don't have to stare at the same default model when you play out your games. Silvam has a good tutorial on installing and using the stadiums.
Terrific. Part of me wants to do my favorite old-time stadiums like Forbes Field, Crosley Field, Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Comiskey Park, but eight of those 200 fictional 3D parks are likely to get the nod.

Thank you!
Old 03-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
Geoff Rey
Bat Boy

Judging from other posts I've read, I'm better off allowing a 25-man roster, so that when guys in the starting lineup get demoted to the bench, they won't have to "learn" a position for which they are not rated.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:50 AM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if you reduced player fatigue, you wouldn't even need a bench except for injury replacements during an actual game being played. can just call them up inbetween, otherwise.

i htink the ai takes a different strategy to pickign a bench player. i'd assume the ai considers defense and covering what needs to be covered under normal circumstances.. the game is at least that robust for sure... i hope.

if you try a lower roster size, just zoom out 10 years and spot check.. then restore backup to original point.

this is a good idea anytime you fiddle with roster sizes or minor league rules or the draft etc etc... see if you run out of players... see if a 24-man roster causes oddities on the bench and other related decisions..

if it's not integral to what you want to accomplish, i'd just stick to default as much as you can. it will ikely run smoother, and require less adjustments elsewhere when it doesn't run smoothly due to that deviation from default.

while i still change quite a few things from default, i change fewer things now than i nthe past. i also don't get as creative as you in creation, though. a lot of what you want to do may be required, whereas where i deviate is just whimsical for the most part.

e.g. i don't want a .250BA and 6k home run league with ~40k SO... that's what reality is now, so ootp mimics it, correctly so. a bunch of 200+ SO guys and a few more home runs, lol... not entertaining for me. a total lack of sophistication, imo. baseball is getting smarter in evaluation, but the players are getting dumber -- not their intellect, but rather their understanding how to maximize wins as a team is a totally foreign concept to the majority.

if cranking home runs gets you a better contract, then that's what you do even if you are a lesser player because of that strategy, relative to winning games, which is all that should ever matter.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:12 AM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodude5 View Post
NoOne,
You are pretty amazing with your ability to help people out.

Don't know how you do it though. A reply like yours would take me so long just to put down in a way that makes sense with probably tons of edits that by the time I posted it you would have posted a reply that was better anyways.

I've used a lot of things you posted for others to make my game better.
thanks, guy... (south park fan?)

i just think it through... if oyu look you can sometimes see me spending way more time than i'd care to admit. in this case above, the "edit" time is only 4 minutes after the posting time... this is not always the case and typically will tell you if i spent an inordinate amount of time on a post. so, this time it was just as long as it takes to type the letters out. which doesn't take long for me.

i type as fast as i can think a sentence and, it helps to ignore capitalization, lol. i wish it would do that for me like on a word processor. it would correct my little type-os too. "teh" is my favorite. or, just some random "E" at the end of a word, most likely because an upcoming word has an e at end or it is a long vowel sound, and i am on autopilot.

i accidentally took a weed-out english major writing course. it filled some general core requirement -- i.e. profit maker. anyway, typing out a 2-page or 5-page essay is a very easy thing for me to do in a couple hours. i have the whole outline worked out in my head before i start typing. i don't put in that much effort for an ootp forum post, though. i wing it a bit more.

not everything i type is true. i've been terribly wrong about a couple things lately. for the most part, there's at least something beside just a whimsical feeling or a preferred perception for me to believe something about a game like ootp. whether me or anyone else, i'd always dig a bit deeper and verify whatever is said on your own.

ffs, i read an old post of mine in first couple years of owning ootp and it's quite scary the things i thought were true but are not, lol. my ego makes me say i probably do better than average on that rate of 'wrongness', lol, but wrong is as wrong does.