Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 12-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Hernandez at short?

I have a player in my league who starts Keith Hernandez at SS. Now I know he has good fielding atributes but he is left handed. Does the game account for this? Probably not but it just seems weird that we could do this. Would he end up a top SS like he is a first baseman? Has anyone else ever done this?....
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

A left handed thrower will always be rated 0 at SS.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Are we in the same league, Zorro, or is this happening in more than one?
[EDIT: Just saw in another thread that you are in a different league. The NY Magpies in AE have also been doing this, with a LOT of success]

I was wondering if the change was going to persist or if Hernandez was being trained up to eventually become a multi-purpose backup option.

Last edited by Dogberry99; 12-07-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Thalion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
WHAT?!!! Does that mean I have to give up my dream of playing shortstop in the Majors at the age of 60?
Thalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
WHAT?!!! Does that mean I have to give up my dream of playing shortstop in the Majors at the age of 60?
Of course not. It just means you'll have to learn how to throw right-handed.
Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #6
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
I was assuming this was a joke. The Hernandez in AE has a positional rating of 63 now at SS, and I presume its continuing to rise.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does that mean he will commit more errors? Or have a bad range ? I like the idea of 0 but will it mean anything? I am not saying this sarcastically just curious.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Are we in the same league, Zorro, or is this happening in more than one?
[EDIT: Just saw in another thread that you are in a different league. The NY Magpies in AE have also been doing this, with a LOT of success]

I was wondering if the change was going to persist or if Hernandez was being trained up to eventually become a multi-purpose backup option.
I wish we were in the same league. I only had one response in this new league.. In the beta it was great. We had a family atmosphere going on.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
Lol
Old 12-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #10
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was assuming this was a joke. The Hernandez in AE has a positional rating of 63 now at SS, and I presume its continuing to rise.
I guess it should not matter to me but if that is the truth I do not like that at all. Next will be left handed catchers to juke the system.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #11
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Hmm, will have to look into that. Pretty sure that we shouldn't allow lefty throwing players to play the left side of the infield. At least, no modern lefties - times were different in the 1800s and very early 1900s.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #12
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Hmm, will have to look into that. Pretty sure that we shouldn't allow lefty throwing players to play the left side of the infield. At least, no modern lefties - times were different in the 1800s and very early 1900s.
There are no lefty 2B either. And almost no catchers. Don't remember the last one.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #13
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Personally, I think it is ridiculous that Keith Hernandez could be rated 60+ at shortstop. This again points out that position learning should be disabled in PT, or at least it should be very hard to learn a position that is harder on the defensive spectrum than the player's current position. There is no value to utility players if every player can learn every position.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #14
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
I wish we were in the same league. I only had one response in this new league.. In the beta it was great. We had a family atmosphere going on.
I'm in AE and falling further behind the damn Magpies with another loss.....playing them right now in a four game series....
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #15
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Personally, I think it is ridiculous that Keith Hernandez could be rated 60+ at shortstop. This again points out that position learning should be disabled in PT, or at least it should be very hard to learn a position that is harder on the defensive spectrum than the player's current position. There is no value to utility players if every player can learn every position.
Generally speaking, our ratings handle that. Goldschmidt is one of the best defensive 1B in the modern game, and he's only got an infield range rating of 39. Freeman, who did try to play 3B, is only a 40. If a guy like Keith Hernandez threw right-handed, there's a good chance he could have been a SS. In the current game, pretty much any other 1B though is going to have terrible range if you tried to train them at another position.

Now, that does bring up an interesting point, of how much we should allow players to play "out of position" and learn a new position. Should a guy be allowed to learn a position he never played in real life? But what about a guy like Jim Wynn (1969 card). His card only has a CF rating, but I can easily train him to play LF or RF. In some ways maybe we shouldn't be allowed to, but on the other hand, he did play 300 games each at those spots in his career. I think in general I like the fact that guys can shift over - the whole thing is a what-if game, so I like dreaming of a DiMaggio-Trout-Mantle OF. But it does somewhat diminish the value of the actual utility players in the game if you can train anyone to be a super-sub. Like I'm training a Tulo card to play all the infield positions, even if he's never played another position in MLB other than SS.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #16
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Generally speaking, our ratings handle that. Goldschmidt is one of the best defensive 1B in the modern game, and he's only got an infield range rating of 39. Freeman, who did try to play 3B, is only a 40. If a guy like Keith Hernandez threw right-handed, there's a good chance he could have been a SS. In the current game, pretty much any other 1B though is going to have terrible range if you tried to train them at another position.

Now, that does bring up an interesting point, of how much we should allow players to play "out of position" and learn a new position. Should a guy be allowed to learn a position he never played in real life? But what about a guy like Jim Wynn (1969 card). His card only has a CF rating, but I can easily train him to play LF or RF. In some ways maybe we shouldn't be allowed to, but on the other hand, he did play 300 games each at those spots in his career. I think in general I like the fact that guys can shift over - the whole thing is a what-if game, so I like dreaming of a DiMaggio-Trout-Mantle OF. But it does somewhat diminish the value of the actual utility players in the game if you can train anyone to be a super-sub. Like I'm training a Tulo card to play all the infield positions, even if he's never played another position in MLB other than SS.
I understand Matt but a left handed SS is hard to get my head around. Also like Orcin says, It makes utility players not as valuable but that aside I think catchers and SS should be right handed. Not a gripe just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #17
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I agree with everything said here.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #18
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
I understand Matt but a left handed SS is hard to get my head around. Also like Orcin says, It makes utility players not as valuable but that aside I think catchers and SS should be right handed. Not a gripe just my opinion.
I agree. I believe my current impression is that Hernandez having a rating at SS is a bug, not a feature
Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #19
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
There are no lefty 2B either. And almost no catchers. Don't remember the last one.
Agreed.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #20
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Another question to consider is whether or not ratings should change when a player is out of position. I know Stuff changes for starters forced into a relief role, but I am not aware of any other examples of this in PT. Allowing ratings to change for positional shifts could act as an appropriate nerf to Hernandez if his range dropped some with the move to SS while not affecting his range or overall play at 1B.

I'm not sure that this is keeping in the spirit of the mode of play though, nor do I think that I, personally, would like this.

Last edited by Dogberry99; 12-07-2018 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Clarity (Hopefully)