Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
KWhit
Major Leagues

Expansion

I have a 24 team fictional league that I want to expand. Are there any good threads that give a breakdown of what to do, what not to do, etc?

I currently have 2 leagues, with 3 divisions of 4 teams each. I like symmetry, so I would like to add a team to each division if possible, but I'm afraid that might be too many new teams at once. So I'm looking for suggestions. Specifically, how many teams is it reasonable to add each year? How many protected players should I choose? And when is the best time of the offseason to initiate the expansion.

Note, I'm playing Challenge mode so I can't do anything that would need me to play as commissioner.

I've searched the forums and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:19 AM   #2
KWhit
Major Leagues

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:33 AM   #3
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Realign to two 6 team divisions per league. Expand by four teams. There's a good schedule for this available with higher equal in division games and lower equal out of division games.

Protect 24 players per team. Schedule the expansion draft early so the new teams also participate in the first year player draft.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #4
KWhit
Major Leagues

Ok. Thanks for the suggestion. I may give that a shot!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:15 AM   #5
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Recently I did a 4 team expansion 24 to 28 in an historical league. I protected 25 players per existing team. Expansion teams combined played .413 the first year. I would have liked them to do a bit better, hence recommendation for 24 protected.

There's a thread elsewhere recommending 12 to 14 protected. Can't see that. What really matters is not the number of protected players per existing team but the number of decent quality players unprotected per expansion team. Thus for a given number of expansion teams a larger league should protect more players per team than a smaller one. Unless you like the Vegas Golden Knights outcome.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #6
discodude5
Major Leagues

Something I did to decide what looked good in my league for protected players was save the game as a quickstart just before the expansion process.
Then try different numbers of protected players so you can see if too many good players are left unprotected.I don't know if challenge mode will allow you to see their lists.

I've found scheduling the draft after free agency begins works well, used this after going through threads about expansion suggested it.
Because of the timing I know I used less than 20 protected in my drafts.
One difference is I only had two team expansions.

Last edited by discodude5; 01-16-2019 at 10:42 PM.
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #7
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

20ish after a team has lost its free agents... sounds like a decent number.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #8
KWhit
Major Leagues

Good suggestion to create a quickstart. I have played OOTP since v4 and I'm realizing that this is the first time I've ever tried to expand.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #9
Blackjack
Minors (Double A)

I've always used 15 protected players as well as all players with less then 3 years service. It's always worked fine for me. Usually though I only add 2 teams at a time.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #10
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Fifth year one of the four expansion teams won its division. I have 7 team divisions. Combined they're just a few games below .500