Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #21
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
One for today Ed Konetchy, see attached for what he has and is doing in my league.
ED KONETCHY

The La Crosse, Wisconsin native signed with the St Louis Cardinals as 20 year old when he imported in 1906. He spent all of his first season on the Cards 15-man reserve roster but in 1907 Konetchy took over as the Cards everyday first baseman, replacing 35 year old Fred Tenney. Konetchy would hold the position for 13 years and play 1956 major league games, all in a St Louis uniform.

Konetchy was a lifetime .291 hitter and won 7 Gold Gloves in his career. He was also named National League rookie of the year in 1907 when hit hit .300 with a league leading 20 triples. He would lead the NL in triples 3 times in his career and twice won a silver slugger award.

Konetchy made the post-season twice with the Cardinals, hitting .320 in 5 games in 1912 when they lost to the Athletics and going 0-for-2 as a pinch-hitter in 1921 when St Louis beat the A's for the franchise's first World Championship.

The '21 series was the end of his days in St Louis as he had lost his starting job to High Pockets Kelly for the 1920 season. The Cardinals released him in spring training 1922 and he signed with the International League's Montreal Royals, where he would play his final 3 seasons of pro ball. He hit .373 in 3 seasons with the Royals before retiring after the 1924 campaign at the age of 38.

He is still ranked 3rd all-time in games played in a St Louis uniform behind Jimmy Dykes and Rogers Hornsby and his 2086 hits are the 5th most by a Cardinal. His 159 triples are the most ever by a Cardinal and place him 36th in three-baggers all-time.
Attached Images
Tiger Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #22
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I don't think i have never had Christy Mathewson go over 400 wins.
He always seems to have a few bad injury years that keep him between 350-400 wins for me.
Nice to see him do it.
CHRISTY MATHEWSON

I think this is the most games he has ever won for me as well. It's too bad the Giants weren't that good for much of his tenure as I can just imagine what he could have done had he pitched for one of the Philadelphia teams instead.

He spent 23 years in the major leagues and was healthy the entire time except for an arm injury after age 40. With the Giants Mathewson never starting less than 30 games in a season. He won 4 pitcher of the year awards (1903,1906,1907,1910) along with 3 gold gloves and 3 silver sluggers. He leads the major leagues in both career wins (425) and losses (336) as well as games played by pitcher, games started, shutouts and innings pitched. He is also one of just 3 men with over 3000 strikeouts. His 3037 trail Walter Johnson (3260) and Rube Waddell (3201).

Mathewson's only World Series appearance came in 1909. He made 3 starts and was 1-2 with a 2.08 era as the Giants lost to the Philadelphia Athletics in 7 games. He lost game one 3-0 to Chief Bender despite pitching very well but rebounded with a 5-4 10 inning win in Game three to get the Giants on the board. New York would also win games four and five to take a 3-2 series lead and gave the ball to Mathewson for Game Six. Noodles Hahn outduelled him as both went the distance in a 3-2 Philadelphia win at the Polo Grounds. The A's wrapped up the series the next day with a 4-1 win as the road team won all 7 games in the series.

The Giants released him after the 1921 season and he signed with the Cubs that winter at the age of 41 but a spring training arm injury ended his season. He had a brief stint in the PCL with Los Angeles in 1923 but had more arm troubles that forced him to retire.

Surprisingly, Mathewson was not a first ballot Hall of Famer, It was tough to get in during the early years as the Hall opened in my replay in 1932 and there were a ton of players eligible. Rube Waddell, Nap Lajoie and Honus Wagner went in the first year as Mathewson was included on just 60.2% of the ballots. He was finally inducted along with Harry Heilmann in the fifth Hall of Fame class, getting 75.4% of the votes to just sneak through in 1936.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-21-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:52 AM   #23
Fenway
Minors (Triple A)

What a great dynasty! I'm looking forward to reading more.

I haven't played a historical league since a 19th-century league a few years ago (alas, the commissioner poofed and we never finished). So I'm a little clueless about how it works. How does your dynasty handle trades? Do players get traded when they were traded historically?

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:59 AM   #24
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Let's get back to 1965 for a moment. I have played through the weekend to the point to where there are just 2 games remaining in the season for the Yankees and Red Sox. Boston will need to sweep the series in order to force a playoff to decide the American League pennant winner. The Yankees are 98-62 with the Red Sox at 96-64. New York has won 6 straight games and 15 of their last 17 contests. In contrast, Boston was just 9-8 over the same period.

Recapping the last few days that I simmed:

Wednesday September 15th - With the improved 3d graphics in OOTP19 I have started watching a lot more games than I did in previous years and my plan is to watch all of the World Series games going forward plus key matchups down the stretch.

The choice today comes down to seeing Whitey Ford go for win #19 as the Yankees host the White Sox or take in the Red Sox game in Kansas City. The Sox offense looks very impressive so I decide to head to Kansas City and watch that game.

Must be tough for fans in Kansas City as they got the A's in 1955 and have watched them lose over 90 games every season and over 100 nine of the 11 years including this season where they sit last in the American League at 55-100. It wasn't always this way as the Kansas City Blues were a very successful minor league team until being forced to move to Denver when the Athletics arrived.

The Blues history goes back to the beginning of the American Association, which formed in 1899. The Blues first title came in 1925 and they would win 6 more while a farm team of the Yankees between 1939 and 1952. Whitey Ford actually spent parts of three seasons with the club in the early fifties.

I watched the Red Sox rally to win in Kansas City by an 8-5 score thanks to a ninth inning grand slam off the bat of Tony Conigliaro. Rico Petrocelli and Orlando Cepeda also homered for the Sox. Dave Morehead got the win in relief of Dennis Bennett. Tough loss for young Tony Pierce of Kansas City. The 19 year old rookie struck out 9 Red Sox over 6 and a third, allowing 6 hits but included in those were a pair of homers.

In New York, Whitey Ford improved his record to 19-7 after allowing just 1 earned run and 5 hits over 7 innings as the Yankees doubled Chicago 4-2. Dick Hall notched his league leading 27th save.

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 17
Thursday was an off-day for both the Yankees and Red Sox.

I went to Cleveland for the opener of New York's 2-game set with the Indians. Jim Bunning dominated the Tribe, scattering 5-hits in throwing a complete game shutout. New York won 2-0 with both runs coming on Bobby Murcer's 7th inning pinch-hit homer off of Cleveland starter Jim Perry (11-15).

The Yankees lead increased to 2 games on Boston as the Red Sox fell 6-1 at home to California. Veteran first baseman Bill White drove in two runs and scored twice for the winners, spoiling 3-hit games from both Carl Yastremski and Tony Conigliaro. Joe Nuxhall (13-15) went the distance for the win while Boston's Fred Newman (17-10) was tagged with the loss.

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 18
Don Buford (.310,10,55) homered twice while Tony Conigliaro (.323,43,147) and Wayne Causey (.308,8,76) each went deep once to pace the Red Sox to a 6-2 win over California. Boston starter Al Jackson (14-9) was outstanding in going the distance, fanning 10 while allowing just 1 walk.

Boston failed to gain ground on the Yankees as New York outslugged Cleveland 11-8. The Yankees built a 4-0 lead in the first inning but were trailing 8-5 entering the ninth. New York bats came alive with 6 runs in the top of the ninth. Norm Siebern (.278,10,59) was the offensive hero for New York with a pair of doubles and 5 rbi's. Cleveland catcher Jim Pagliaroni (.237,16,71) went deep twice for the losers.

New York and Boston both had Sunday and Monday off setting the stage for their season ending and pennant deciding two game showdown starting Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Saturday in Los Angeles the visiting Cincinnati Reds blanked the Dodgers for their 114th win of the season, setting a new major league record. The old mark of 113 was held by the 1905 Philadelphia Phillies but they accomplished it in a 154 game schedule, unlike the Reds which came in game #158 of a 162.

Here are the standings with 2 days remaining.
Attached Images
Old 04-22-2018, 02:04 AM   #25
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
What a great dynasty! I'm looking forward to reading more.

I haven't played a historical league since a 19th-century league a few years ago (alas, the commissioner poofed and we never finished). So I'm a little clueless about how it works. How does your dynasty handle trades? Do players get traded when they were traded historically?
You have plenty of options in the historical game setup with one of them being using as-played lineups which would force all of the real trades to happen automatically as they did in real life.

However, In this sim I am not doing that though. I am instead letting the game AI run all of the teams (I am not managing any of them as I prefer in most historical sims to act as the league commissioner and let it play out) so all trades are done by the computer. I like playing this way as it creates many different scenarios such as Clemente remaining a Dodger as has been the case in this sim.

Sometimes it is close to real life as in this sim the Red Sox dealt Ruth to the Yankees, however it did not occur until 1921 in this universe.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:56 AM   #26
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1910 National League - What a finish

Just looking through old standings and found this for the 1910 National League. Thesecond last day of the season had just 3 games on the docket with the standings looking like this:
Code:

TEAM	  	W  L  GB
Brooklyn	82 71  -
Cincinnati 	82 72  0.5
Pittsburgh	82 72  0.5
New York        81 72  1.0
Chicago	        79 73  2.5
The Reds and Pirates were done for the year so the three remaining games were:
Boston at Brooklyn
Philadelphia at New York
St Louis at Chicago.

The Cards and Cubs would also play the next day, the only game on the schedule to end the regular season.

The Cubs game was meaningless as they could not win the pennant but if Brooklyn lost there would be a three-way tie for first and if the Superbas lost and the Giants won it would be a four way tie.

New York did it's part as Christy Mathewson came on to pitch the final two innings as the Giants scored the games only run on a 10th inning rbi single off the bat of Jimmy Austin. The 1-0 victory moved the Giants even with Cincinnati and Pittsburgh at 82-72. The Phillies lost meant they ended up 7 games off the pace.

The Superbas were home at Washington Park to face the last place Boston Doves. Brooklyn started 24 year old rookie Larry Cheney (6-4, 2.95) while the Doves countered with a 19 year old rookie named Charlie Schmutz (16-22, 2.49), who in real life played just a few MLB games - but all were with Brooklyn.

The Doves took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first but Brooklyn got runs in the second and third to go up 2-1. Boston would tie it in the 5th and it would remain 2-2 heading into the bottom of the 8th inning. It looked like the Superbas had the game wrapped up when Schmutz uncorked a wild pitch with Frank Baker perched on third. Baker trotted home and Brooklyn was 3-outs away from a trip to the World Series.

However, Cheney allowed a lead-off single to John Hummel and then walked Boss Schmidt. With runners on first and second Steve Evans hit a deep fly ball to centerfield. Shano Collins made the catch for the first out but as Hummel tagged and headed for third Collins uncorked a wild throw that was no where near Brooklyn third baseman Baker. As the Superbas tracked down the ball Hummel trotted home and the game was tied at 3. Cheney got out of the inning with no further damage.

So we go to the bottom of th ninth with a very real possibility of a 4-way tie for the National League pennant. It did not happen as Stuffy McIness, the Brooklyn infielder who hit .303 on the season ripped a ball down the left field line that got over the head of Doves outfielder Birdie Cree and bounced around. As Cree was desperately trying to track the ball down McIness was racing around the bases and when the dust settled it was an inside the park homerun for McIness, his 6th homerun of the season, and a 4-3 victory for Brooklyn.

The Superbas finished a game ahead of Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and New York and advanced to the World Series for the first time since 1898 when they were known as the Bridegrooms. The Series did not go well for them as they fell in 5 games to the mighty Philadelphia Athletics.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-22-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #27
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

First MLB three-way tie for Pennant

With Boston having a chance to win two games at home and push the New York Yankees to a tie-breaking game for the American League Pennant I thought I would take a look at previous playoff games.

In real life there were 5 tiebreakers needed to decide a pennant prior to where I currently sit in 1965 with 4 of them being in the National League. In my sim there have been 8 times so far including a pair of three-way ties.

Here is a complete list and over the next few posts I will look at each of the tiebreaking games.

Code:
1925 AL   Cleveland over St Louis
1933 NL   3 way tie with Pirates over Cardinals and Cubs
1937 NL   Cubs over Giants
1939 NL   Cardinals over Giants
1942 NL   Cardinals over Pittsburgh
1943 AL   Yankees over Cleveland
1957 AL   3 way tie Tigers beat Boston and Yankees
1961 NL   Los Angeles over Cincinnati

1933 THREE WAY NATIONAL LEAGUE TIE

On the morning of Tuesday September 19, 1933 there were 2 days of games remaining in the season and the National League standings looked like this:

Code:

Standings Sept 19am 
Chicago  	86 65
Pittsburgh	86 66
St Louis	85 66
The Cubs and Cardinals had a doubleheader scheduled in St Louis for that day and then a single game the next day while Pittsburgh was in Cincinnati for a game each of the next two days.

Pittsburgh needed an rbi double in the top of the ninth inning from Gee Walker to beat the Reds 3-2 and give Paul Derringer (19-11) the victory over Red Ruffing (16-17) of Cincinnati. Meanwhile in St Louis the visiting Cubs took the opener 8-1 as Earl Averill homered and drove in a pair of runs. Chicago was very confident going into the second game with Guy Bush (26-7, 2.58) on the mound but their ace got into trouble early as the Cardinals jumped out to a 4-0 lead thanks in big part to Dale Alexander's 2-run double. St Louis starter Earl Whitehill (15-15) was cruising along until the 8th inning when Averill hit an rbi double and Wally Berger followed with his 20th homer of the season to cut the Cardinals lead to 4-3. Whitehill would regroup and get the final 5 outs to earn the complete game victory and set the stage for a very dramatic final day of the regular season.

Here are the standings after Tuesday's action with 1 game remaining for each club.
Code:
Chicago  	87 66
Pittsburgh	87 66
St Louis	86 67
While the Philadelphia Athletics, who had long clinched the American League title, were enjoying a 9-0 season ending victory over Washington they had no idea who their opponent in the 1933 World Series would be. That all came down to the results of two games on Wednesday September 20th.

The Pittsburgh Pirates scored 5 times in the top of the second at Cincinnati and looked to be on track to earn at least a tie for the National League pennant. However the host Cincinnati Reds, at 55-98 and dead last in the league, wouldn't quit. Cincinnati nibbled back with a run in each of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th innings including solo homers from Phil Weintraub and Tony Piet to cut the Pirates lead to 5-3 after five. When Pittsburgh added another run on Shanty Hogan's 6th inning rbi single the Pirates went up 6-3 but the Reds chased Pittsburgh starter Monte Pearson in the bottom of the 7th, scoring 4 runs to take a 7-6 lead. Jim Bottomley doubled in two runs and Phil Weintraub hit a two-run triple to give him 4 rbi's on the day. Cincinnati added another run in the bottom of the 8th and beat the Pirates 8-6.

The Pittsburgh loss meant a Chicago win would give the Cubs the pennant, while a St Louis win meant we had a 3-way tie for first.

In St Louis, you could not blame the faithful at Sportsman's Park for feeling their season was over after the Cubs took a 6-0 lead in the fifth thanks to a Wally Berger 2-run double. George Pipgras seemed to be cruising along on the hill for the Cubs allowing just 1 hit thru five. Pie Traynor got a pinch-hit single in the home half of the sixth but the Cardinals failed to take advantage.

In the bottom of the seventh the Cards finally strung some hits together. Lou Finney led off with a single and moved to second when Rick Ferrell worked Pipgras for a free pass. Dale Alexander hit a sharp single and Finney got the green light to round third and try to score.....but he was thrown out at the plate. St Louis did get one run as Charlie Gelbert delivered a 2-out single to cut the Cubs lead to 6-1. However, it seemed like a huge opportunity wasted by the Cardinals.

They would get another one, and take advantage fully this time. George Watkins led off the home 8th with a double and after singles from Jimmy Dykes, Sam West and Finney the score was 6-3 with runners on the corners. When the dust settled the Cardinals scored five times and the game was tied at 6.

It would stay that way until the bottom of the 12th inning when, with one out, Sam West reached on an error to give the Cardinals a base runner. Lou Finney then strolled to the plate to face Cubs reliever Whit Wyatt. Finney, a 23 year old outfielder who was acquired from the Athletics in the spring in a much criticized deal that sent 30 year old fan favourite Chick Hafey to Philadelphia, had a chance to prolong the Cardinals season. Finney had only started 63 games this season, batting .257 with 1 homer and 17 rbi's but those numbers changed in an instant as he connected on a 1-1 pitch and deposited it over the left field wall to give the Cardinals an 8-6 victory and force a 3-way tie.

That moment would be the peak of Finney's career as he would bounce back and forth between St Louis and the minors for the next decade, playing in just 329 career games. Although he would later be on the Cards roster for 4 World Series titles the only World Series action he ever got was with the A's in 1932.

THE PLAYOFF

With the three way tie it was decided Chicago would play again at St Louis with the winner facing Pittsburgh for the crown. The Cubs selected Johnny Allen (17-13) to start the game against 37 year old Tom Zachary (7-11) of St Louis. Chicago took a 3-2 lead thanks to Wally Berger's 21st homer of the season in the 4th inning to chase Zachary. Lon Warneke (21-11) took over on 2 days rest and combined with reliever Jim Peterson to hold the Cubs bats in check.

Rick Ferrell doubled in Sam West in the bottom of the 7th to tie the game and Lou Finney, who had reached on a error, would score the eventual game winner on a pinch-hit single from veteran Pie Traynor. The Cardinals would add an insurance run and then give the ball to Peterson who shut down the Cubs for his 10th save of the season.

ST LOUIS VS PITTSBURGH

With a trip to the World Series on the line the Pittsburgh Pirates and St Louis Cardinals met at Forbes Field. The Pirates had never won a pennant before dating all the way back to 1894. The Cardinals had good success in the twenties with 5 pennants and 3 World Series.

Paul Derringer (19-11) started for the Bucs in search of his 20th victory of the season. The 27 year old Derringer stalled on 19 wins each of the two previous years. His opponent would be Flint Rhem, a 32 year old who bounced around the minors for a decade before becoming a part of the Cardinals rotation last year. Rhem is 11-7 in 21 starts this season.

Both teams had a couple of baserunners in the early innings but Derringer and Rhem kept the game scoreless through three. An error from Cardinals 3B Dutch Holland would prove costly in the bottom of the fourth as that, combined with 2 walks, loaded the bases for Pittsburgh with one out. Don Hurst did the job for the Pirates, delivering a sacrifice fly to put Pittsburgh on the board. Rhem got out of the inning with no further damage but trailed 1-0 after four.

Another error, this time from St Louis shortstop Charlie Gelbert cost the Cardinals a run in the bottom of the fifth. Pittsburgh pitcher Paul Derringer was the beneficiary of Gelbert's gaffe, and he would score on a Gus Dugas single after Gee Walker had singled him to third. St Louis did get a key defensive play in that inning as Gee Walker, who had stolen second, tried to score on the Dugas hit as well but he was gunned down at the plate by leftfielder George Watkins. The Pirates led 2-0 after five innings.

In the seventh inning the Cardinals finally got some offense against Pittsburgh starter Derringer. With one out, St Louis catcher Rick Ferrell singled and moved to second on a single from Ab Wright. The Cardinals daringly executed a double steal successfully and pinch-hitter Ballplayer Schilling delivered a 2-run single to tie the game.

Pittsburgh would answer quickly as Gus Dugas smacked a one-out triple in the bottom of the seventh and he would score when Dick Bartell followed with a single making it 3-2 Pirates.

St Louis threatened in the 8th inning with 2 runners on and two out but Rick Ferrell was unable to deliver a clutch hit. Derringer retired the Cardinals in order in the 9th and Pittsburgh celebrated it's first-ever National League Pennant.

The Pirates would take game one of the series against Philadelphia but then lose the next four in a row. Pittsburgh would win the pennant again the following year but lose the World Series in 6 to the Boston Red Sox. The Pirates have never won a National League pennant since.

Here is Lou Finney, the hero of the game that forced baseball's first three-way tie. His real-life career was much better than what he accomplished in the sim.
Attached Images
Old 04-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #28
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1961 NATIONAL LEAGUE PLAYOFF GAME

The most recent tie-breaker took place just 4 years ago and the game between the Dodgers and Reds will go down as most dramatic 1-game playoff to date. The Dodgers would prevail 3-2 in the game to upset the defending champion Reds but the celebration would be shortlived as Los Angeles lost the World Series in 5 games to the New York Yankees. That series was a rematch of 1955, when the Yankees swept the then-Brooklyn Dodgers in the first and only Subway Series.

The 1961 Dodgers and Reds battled all season for top spot and each was outstanding down the stretch, with Cincinnati winning 14 of their last 17 games while Los Angeles won 18 of it's last 22 contests.

Each had an outstanding rotation with Cy Young winner Don Drysdale (19-6, 2.35), joining Stan Williams (19-4, 2.66), Sandy Koufax (16-8, 2.58) and Johnny Podres (16-8, 3.64) in the Dodgers rotation. The only weak link was fifth starter Pete Richert (6-12, 5.19 in 24 starts). The Reds had the only 20 game winner in the National League in 32 year old Curt Simmons (20-7, 2.69) along with Jim O'Toole (19-7, 2.71) and Jack Sanford (16-8, 2.89).

Both clubs were comparable offensively with the Los Angeles standouts being batting champ Willie Davis (.339), league homerun leader Jim Gentile (49HR, 122 rbis) along with Don Demeter (40HR 115 RBI), Roberto Clemente (.324,12,76) and Maury Wills (.334, 46 SB). The Reds were led by NL MVP Frank Robinson (.333,43,143), along with Vada Pinson (.316,26,96), Rocky Colavito (.243,24,89), 20 year old Tommy Harper (.272,19,59) and rookie of the year Leo Cardenas (.293,10,64).

Both clubs won their final 3 games of the season to force the playoff. The Dodgers would host the game and the Reds had to fly in from Cincinnati after wrapping up the season with a 7-6 win over San Francisco at home the night before.

Don Drysdale and Jim O'Toole, each pitching on 3 days rest, were the starters. Cincinnati would start the game with a lead-off double from Tommy Harper followed by an infield single off the bat of Leo Cardenas to give them runners on the corners with nobody out before many of the nearly 27,000 in attendance had found their seats. Drysdale beared down and got Vada Pinson to hit a short fly ball to centerfield that was not deep enough for Harper to try and tag. After Frank Robinson worked Drysdale for a walk, the Dodgers star fanned Rocky Colavito and Ed Bailey to end the inning and escape without any damage.

Meanwhile O'Toole allowed a 1-out single to Willie Davis in the home half but nothing came of it for the Dodgers. Both pitchers settled down in the second and each retired the side in order, with Drysdale only throwing 7 pitches.

Harper got a lead-off single to start the third for his second hit of the game, but Drysdale got the next 3 batters including Frank Robinson on a strikeout to end the inning. In the bottom of the third the Dodgers got a lead-off single from their number 8 hitter, Bob Lysen. The 25 year old rookie had spent most of the season in Omaha but hit a respectable .269 and played decent defense at shortstop after being called up in late July. Drysdale sacrificed Lysen to second and he moved to third on a single by Maury Wills. Willie Davis then delivered a sacrifice fly deep enough to score Lysen with the game's first run. The Dodgers could have had more but Reds centerfielder Vada Pinson made a perfect throw to nail Wills at the plate and end the inning after a Jim Gentile hit. After three the Dodgers had a 1-0 lead.

The lead was short-lived as Drysdale got into trouble again in the fourth. Colavito singled and moved to second when Don Zimmer hit a 1-out single. Ed Charles then loaded the bases with an infield single bringing pitcher O'Toole to the plate for Cincinnati with one out. O'Toole hit a ground ball at Dodgers second baseman Maury Wills, who quickly fired the ball home for the force out of Colavito. With two out, Dodger fans were hoping Drysdale could get out of another jam unscathed but not this time as Tommy Harper rapped his third hit of the game, a single that plated two runs and gave the Reds the lead. Drysdale struck out Leo Cardenas to end the inning but the Reds had a 2-1 lead.

Clemente got a lead-off single for the Dodgers in the bottom of the fourth but he was erased by a doubleplay. Drysdale gave up a single to Robinson in the fifth but nothing else. Both teams would go down in order through the 7th inning stretch.

In the bottom of the 7th with both starters still in the game, Tommy Davis hit a 1-out triple for Los Angeles off of O'Toole. Cincinnati would bring in 39 year old Hoyt Wilhelm, who had 27 saves this season in 67 appearances for the Reds. Wilhelm was facing Dodgers catcher John Roseboro and Roseboro tied the game with the first pitch he saw - by hitting a single up the middle. Wilhelm got out of the inning but the game was now tied at 2 heading to the 8th.

Larry Sherry took over for Drysdale, who was pinch-hit for the previous inning. Sherry, a 25 year old second year major leaguer, was 11-9 with 15 saves in 60 appearances for the Dodgers this season, all in relief. He gave up a single to Frank Robinson to lead off the inning and Rocky Colavito hit a deep fly ball that was caught on the warning track. A few feet further and the Reds would have been up by two but instead the game remained tied as Ed Bailey hit in to a double play to end the inning.

Wilhelm took the mound in the bottom of the 8th and the first batter he would face was Willie Davis, who had led the National League in hitting this year. The 21 year old Davis, who was in his first full major league season after seeing September action each of the previous two years, turned on the second pitch he saw, hitting it 406 feet for a solo homerun - his 12th of the year - and putting the Dodgers up 3-2. Ron Fairly followed with a walk but Wilhelm got Jim Gentile to hit a foul pop up and Roberto Clemente to ground into a doubleplay and end the inning.

We go to the bottom of the ninth inning with the Dodgers 3 outs away from the World Series. Larry Sherry remains on the mound and the first hitter he will face is 20 year old rookie pinch-hitter Pete Rose. Rose split most of the season between AA Topeka and AAA Jersey City before being called up in July. In 43 games he batted .286. In this at bat Sherry got the better of the rookie, inducing a fly ball to center for the first out. Ed Charles gave the Reds hope when he hit a line drive single to put the tying runner on base. Curt Flood came up as a pinch-hitter for Wilhelm with the goal of moving Charles over to second. It didn't happen as Flood's bunt was easily scooped up by Sherry, who turned and fired to second retiring Charles. There was no chance for a doubleplay so the Reds still had hope with the lead-off spot coming up.

Terry Harper was the lead-off man and had 3 hits in 4 trips to the plate. Unfortunately, he would not get a chance at hit number four as he was replaced in the bottom of the 7th by Elio Chacon for defensive purposes. Instead, pinch-hitter Art Shamsky came to the plate. The 19 year old Shamsky was 9-for-30 in his major league career and had just 5 at bats this season before today. After taking the first two pitches for balls, Shamsky swang at the 2-0 offering from Sherry. Shamsky hit a long fly ball but it was easily playable for Dodger leftfielder Clemente, who hauled it in and immediately began celebrating a World Series berth with his teammates.

Don Drysdale, who did not have his best stuff but still managed to fan 6 and walk just 1 while surrendering 8 hits over 7 innings, was named player of the game.

No need to cry for the Reds as they would be back in the Series each of the next two season and beat the Yankees in the 1962 Fall Classic. The Dodgers would lose to New York this time but would beat the Yankees in a rematch that would occur in 1964.
Attached Images
Old 04-25-2018, 01:11 AM   #29
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

September 21, 1965

YANKEES CLINCH AL PENNANT
Just watched an amazing game between New York and Boston with the AL pennant on the line. With 2 games to play the Red Sox trailed the Yankees by 2 and the two clubs were ending the year with a pair at Fenway.

Today's opener saw Whitey Ford face Dennis Bennett. Neither pitcher was at his best and Bennett got chased early as the Yankees built a 7-0 lead. I was thinking time to quick sim the rest of this one because it is over but I kept with it and so did the Red Sox, battling back to tie the game at 7 in the 8th inning.

Then Bobby Murcer leads off the top of the 9th with a homerun and I figure it is over but Yastremski counters with a homer of his own to re-tie the game in the bottom of the 9th.

New York scores again in the 10th but the Red Sox answer in the home half and keep their pennant hopes alive.

To the 11th we got and New York scores 3 more times. Boston can't overcome this and the game ends 12-9 Yankees allowing New York to clinch it's 5th pennant in the last six years.

I never used to watch many games play out but the animation improvements drew me in and seeing games like this just seals the deal.
Attached Images
Old 04-26-2018, 11:51 PM   #30
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Before I get to the 1965 World Series I thought I would take a look at some players I regularly like to check on in my historical sims.

OSCAR CHARLESTON

Charleston had a tremendous career last year in my replay that had the Federal League continue past 1915 and allowed Negro Leaguers to play, forcing MLB to eliminate the color barrier in the early 1920's.

This sim I left the color barrier on for the major leagues but my independant minor league clubs were fully intergrated meaning Charleston was able to start and end his pro career in Indianapolis, the city of his birth.

He signed with the American Association's Indianapolis Indians as a 21 year old in 1915 and would remain with them for 16 and a half seasons. To this day Charleston remains the American Association's all-time leader in career doubles,homeruns and rbi's. He is also second in games played and hits. The only player in the league to finish with more in those two categories was Al Bridwell, who spent his entire 23 year career with Columbus.

Charleston had a .325 career batting average in 1973 games in the league games and hit .422 in 35 post-season games for the Indians, helping them to 4 American Association titles. In 1931, the Indians traded him mid-season to the Little Rock Travelers of the Southern Association and he helped Little Rock reach the Southern Series that year by hitting .404 in 37 games.

At the end of the year the Southern Association became an affiliated minor league of the MLB and Charleston was released. With the independant minor leagues all gone, he signed with the Pittsburgh Crawfords of the Negro National League and he would help them win 2 league championships. He would stay with the franchise for 9 seasons, remaining when it moved to Toledo and then split the final season of Charleston's career between playing out of Toledo and Indianapolis.

WALT LERIAN

Walt Lerian played two seasons for the Phillies in real life but died at the age of 26 after being hit by a car. He had a great career in one of my early History of Baseball replays (thinking OOTP5 or 6) so I always like to look at see how things went for him when I do a long term sim.

The Baltimore native debuted in my sim with the International League Orioles in 1921. He spent six years with the team, winning 4 International League titles, but was always the second string catcher. As an 18 year old he did get to start all 5 games of the IL Series, batting .333 although his Orioles lost to Newark that year.

In 1927 he moved to Chattanooga of the Southern Association and played a career high (to that point) 108 games, batting .259. He would spend 4 seasons with the Lookouts but that would be his only year as a starter. Championships seemed to follow Walt as he won a pair of Southern Association Series crowns during that time.

The Chicago Cubs signed him prior to the 1931 season but he spent the entire year on their reserve roster and did not play a game. That changed in 1932 when the Cubs assigned him to Los Angeles of the Pacific Coast League and Lerian started 124 games while batting .279 for the Angels.

In 1933 he returned to Los Angeles, where he hit .310 in 98 games before getting called up by the Cubs on July 31st of that year. Lerian made his major league debut as a pinch-hitter in the 9th inning of a 10-2 loss to the Giants. He flew out to right field off of Giants pitcher Curt Davis. His first major league hit came in a 15-9 loss to St Louis at Wrigley Field. He went 1-for-3 that game with an rbi single off of Cards starter Flint Rhem. It would be one of just 4 hits Lerian would get in 22 at bats during the season and the Cubs would finish in a 3-way tie for the pennant but would be eliminated.

Lerian would get just 1 more hit in his major league career and finish with a lifetime .192 batting average in 26 at bats. He played 2 games for the Cubs in 1934, one in 1935 and 2 each in 1937 and 1938. He would see minor league action with Albany, the PCL Angels and the Atlanta Crackers and would win two more titles - both with the Angels in 1935 and 1937.

RALPH KINER

I always like to see Kiner do well despite the fact he always seems to be on such a bad series of Pirates teams. This sim his Pirates were just dreadful, finishing last in 8 of his 13 years with the team. Despite that, Kiner hit 366 homers and led the National League in round-trippers 5 times. I mentioned it earlier in this thread but in 1950 Kiner hit more homeruns (50) than the Pirates had wins (49) that year.

The only taste of post-season Kiner ever had in his career came as a 19 year old with Harrisburg of the Interstate League in 1942. He hit .385 with 4 rbi's in 4 games as the Senators swept the Allentown Wings to win the league playoff.

Kiner spent 4 seasons in the Pirates system before becoming a major league regular in 1945 at the age of 22. He did get a brief taste of the big leagues 2 year prior, going 2-for-3 as a pinch-hitter. His first major league hit was an 11th inning single in a game the Pirates would eventually win over St Louis in 12 innings. His first major league homer did not come until nearly two years later when on May 11, 1945 he hit a solo shot off of Guy Fletcher of the Boston Braves in an 8-4 Pirates loss at Forbes Field. Kiner would hit just 8 round-trippers as a rookie but his total ballooned to 34 the following season when he lead the National League.

Kiner would break the major league single season homerun record in 1948 when he belted a career high 55 round trippers. The record would last just 6 years as Ernie Banks hit 60 in 1956 and Banks was surpassed by Joe Adcock's 64 in 1959.

For nearly a decade he was considered one of the most feared sluggers in the game, making 7 all-star teams and winning the National League MVP award twice (1947 & 48). In 1956 at the age of 33 he suddenly lost his power and was demoted to Columbus of the International League. The Pirates released him in spring training 1959 and he was signed to a minor league contract by the St Louis Cardinals. Kiner spent most of the '59 season in the minors but got two pinch-hit appearances for the Cardinals in August of that year. He was retired both times, and although he was not on their post-season roster, Kiner is credited as being on a World Series winner that year as St Louis swept the White Sox in the World Series.

After spending all of 1960 with the Rochester Red Wings and hitting just .216 with 11 homers, Kiner was released from the Cardinals organization. He retired from the game that off-season.

Kiner was on the Hall of Fame ballot for the first time in 1965 but finished sixth in the voting with 51.1% of the vote. No one was elected that year as Joe Gordon led with just under 72%.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 04-27-2018, 12:15 AM   #31
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1965 FINAL STANDINGS

Next up will be the 1965 World Series as the Cincinnati Reds, fresh off setting a major league record for victories in a season with 115, prepare to face the American League champion New York Yankees in a rematch of the 1960 and 1962 series - which were both won by the Reds. Cincinnati is making it's 5th appearance in the Series in the past 8 years and their 8th appearance overall. The Reds only two wins came in the '60 and '62 series matchups with the Yankees. New York is the Series for the 11th time in franchise history and the 7th time in the past 11 years. The Yankees only two Series wins both came against the Dodgers - in 1955 and 1961.

Pete Rose of the Reds narrowly won the National League batting title over Pittsburgh's Willie Stargell. Rose finished with an average of .34286 while Stargell hit at a .34281 clip. I have not looked but I have to guess that is the tightest batting race in league history and it cost Stargell a triple crown as he led the NL in rbi's with 133 and the majors with 54 homeruns.

Here are the batters to win the triple crown since 1901
Code:

TRIPLE CROWN WINNERS
1901 Nap Lajoie  	Phillies
1922 Rogers Hornsby	Cardinals
1923 Rogers Hornsby	Cardinals
1926 Hack Wilson	Phillies
1927 Hack Wilson	Phillies
1928 Hack Wilson	Phillies
1932 Jimmie Foxx	Cleveland
1939 Johnny Mize	Washington
1942 Ted Williams	Red Sox
1946 Ted Williams	Red Sox
1954 Ted Williams	Red Sox
1957 Mickey Mantle	Yankees
Attached Images
Old 04-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #32
JaBurns
All Star Starter

How do you enable trades between unaffiliated minor league teams? I have AAA leagues and think it would be a good idea if the teams could trade between leagues.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #33
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How do you enable trades between unaffiliated minor league teams? I have AAA leagues and think it would be a good idea if the teams could trade between leagues.
Not at my laptop now but there is an option in league setup that says something like allow trades between major leagues. If enabled it works for mlb and the unaffiliated minors. If I remember correctly it is on same setup screen as the one where you disable the amateur draft for the unaffiliated leagues.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #34
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I know where the settings is, Major Leagues is what messed me up; should I checked for all 4 leagues or just the 3 AAA leagues?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #35
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know where the settings is, Major Leagues is what messed me up; should I checked for all 4 leagues or just the 3 AAA leagues?
I always check the major league as well because if so it makes deals with the unaffiliated minors, which is another way beside contract purchases to get talent to the MLB league but it will work either way. Trades will only be made between leagues that are checked.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #36
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1965 World Series Game 1

Game one of the 1965 World Series: Reds win 5-1 behind a 4-hit complete game from Jim Maloney. The 25 year old Maloney was dominant this season, going 22-4 with a 1.95 era.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-27-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:52 PM   #37
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1965 World Series Game 2

21 year old reliever Frank McCool and 30 year old Frank Robinson were the heroes in Game Two as the Reds once again scored in the first inning and beat the Yankees. Full recap is in the story below:

I will add Robinson's 2 homers in a single World Series game are 1 shy of the record 3 hit by the Phillies Gus Zernial in 1952. Two homers in a World Series game has happened 14 times before Robinson including twice by Zernial and once by current Yankee Mickey Mantle. Mantle is struggling so far this series as he is 0-for-7.
Attached Images
Old 04-27-2018, 11:31 PM   #38
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Gus Zernial

With the off-day as the World Series moves from Cincinnati to New York for Game Three I thought I would take a look at the World Series career leaders in homeruns. After seeing Frank Robinson hit a pair in Game Two I discovered that Gus Zernial has 3 multi-homerun World Series games but surprisingly Zernial is not the all-time World Series Home Run leader. Here are the top five:
Code:

CAREER WORLD SERIES HOME RUNS
Mickey Mantle*		13
Gus Zernial		12
Ted Williams		 6
Earl Averill		 5
Frank Robinson*		 5
Jackie Robinson		 5
Hack Wilson		 5
Mantle and Frank Robinson are the only active players on this list and both are participating in the current World Series. Mantle, who has played in 44 World Series games including the two so far this year, is also the all-time postseason RBI leader with 39.

Zernial only played in 30 post-season games over 5 seasons with the Philadelphia Phillies between 1948-52, and started just 25 games. He was a 2-time World Series MVP: in 1949 when he hit .320 with 3 homers and in 1952 when he batted .333 with 4 homers and 11 rbi's.

The greatest game of his career was unquestionably Game Six of the 1952 World Series when his Phillies beat the Yankees to win their 4th consecutive World Championship. Up three games to two but coming off a 6-4 loss at home in Game Five, the Phillies had lost the momentum a pair of 1 run victories in games three and four had given them. There was a sold out crowd of over 57,000 at Yankee Stadium as veteran lefthander Howie Pollet (15-6) looked to pull the Yankees even.

Zernial would be a one man wrecking crew on this day as he gave the Phillies an early lead with a 2-run homer in the top of the first inning. In the fifth with the Yankees up 4-3, Zernial would launch another two-run bomb that ended Pollet's day. He would then hit a record third homer in a single World Series game by smashing a 3-run shot in the 7th inning that propelled the Phillies to an 8-5 series clinching victory. Zernial was 3-for-4 on the day with 3 homers, 3 runs scored, 7 rbi's and a walk.

I should note that Phillies club of the late 40s-early 50s needs it's own writeup as they were loaded with Warren Spahn, Robin Roberts, Curt Simmons, Yogi Berra, Phil Rizzuto, Jackie Robinson, Richie Ashburn and Del Ennis.

As for Zernial, he was a two-time all-star and led the National League in homers and rbi's twice but Zernial's major league career was really quite ordinary - playoff heroics aside. Despite a four year span when he hit 145 regular season homeruns, Zernial finished with just 212 round-trippers in a career that lasted just 1157 games. He was only an everyday player for 4 years with Philadelphia and one with the Cardinals.

Zernial made his major league debut in 1945 at the age of 21. He had just 6 at bats that season but his only hit was a dramatic 3-run pinch-hit homerun in the top of the 10th inning of a 9-6 win over the Boston Braves. He would spend most of the next 3 years in the minors before finally making the Phillies as a bench player in 1948. The following year he was a starter in the Philadelphia outfield and led the National League in homeruns (38) and rbi's (125). That would be the first of four outstanding years and four straight World Series titles.

In 1953 he got off to slow start and the Phillies replaced him in the outfield with Jackie Robinson, who shifted from second base. Zernial started just 49 games that year and in the off-season was dealt to St Louis for 30 year old second baseman Red Schoendienst. Zernial would hit 50 homers over 4 seasons in St Louis but be a starter for just 1 year. The Cardinals released him just prior to the start of the 1958 season and, except for a brief comeback with the Phoenix Giants in 1959, his career was over.

Aside from his playoff success in the sim, Zernial's sim regular season totals compare very well with what he accomplished in real life.
Attached Images
Old 04-28-2018, 12:42 AM   #39
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1965 World Series: Game Three

Once again the Cincinnati Reds only needed the first inning to score enough runs to beat the New York Yankees. The Reds scored three times in the opening inning of game one and followed that up with 2 runs in the first inning of game two and now did the same today in game three.

Those two runs were enough for Jim O'Toole and reliever Billy McCool to beat the Yankees and give Cincinnati a commanding 3 games to none lead in the series. The Reds can wrap things up at Yankee Stadium tomorrow afternoon. Cincinnati and the Yankees had previously met twice in World Series play - in 1960 and 1962 with the Reds prevailing each time although both of those series went the full seven games.

Cincinnati's pitching has the heart of the Yankees lineup just baffled. Mickey Mantle, who hit .309 with 37 homers and 112 rbi's during the regular season, is 0-for-11 in the series. It continues a recent trend of tough post-seasons for Mantle, who went 3-for-21 last year against the Dodgers and was 4-for-27 in 1962 against the Reds. It is a far cry from Mantle's early World Series exploits including 1960 when he hit .280 with 4 homers and 13 rbi's in his first taste of action against the Reds.

The problem for New York is it is not just Mantle who is struggling. As a team the Yankees are batting just .181 (17-for-94) and when you remove the first two hitters in the lineup, lead-off man Dick Howser and #2 hole hitter Tom Tresh, who are each 5-for-11 in the series and take the pitchers out of the equation the batting average from #3 through 8 hitters in the Yankee lineup is .076.

Here is the Game Three story.
Attached Images
Old 04-28-2018, 07:05 AM   #40
Edster007
All Star Starter

This is a great read. Thanks for sharing it.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote