Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by '94 EXPOS View Post
" Make sure to turn historical off, or it'll foul stuff up when you add non-historical expansion teams."

I most often play with the current roster set and then add 2 expansion teams at the start of the game. I do not change many settings. Just curious as to what historical messes up? And is it usually "on" as a default setting?
You dont need to turn this off post 2013. If you have it on prior to that it will move a team back to it's previous location. I tired this back on OOTP 12 by trying to keep Montreal from moving.

Hockey I have uniforms and logos for New Orleans Voodoo and Indianapolis Speed & 500's. Look for Gerhig's Request thread that also has great Voodoo uniforms.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Okay, good to know for future reference.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #23
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
The Astros already played the White Sox in the World Series.
and the Brewers played the Cardinals, but no two expansion teams have ever met in the World Series.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #24
Crowbar
Minors (Rookie Ball)

After being distracted by other games, I came back to finish the job with inspiration from this thread's replies. I changed a few things, and am quite happy with it, maybe not the best, but okay .

Crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #25
nyy26wc
All Star Reserve

I'm also planning on having some expansion. I'm considering expanded one of my worlds to 32 teams for 2014. I also hate the wild card and having 8 divisions of 4 lets me get rid of that monstrosity.

I'm also starting a 2nd league where, in order to not have a problem with talent overflow, I plan on expansion from 30 teams in 2013 to 40 teams over the course of a decade. I plan on adding 2 teams for 2014, then 4 to the AL in 2017 and 4 to the NL in 2020. At least that's my tentative plan. I have to run tests to see exactly how things work out before I let the league go live.

My question is the expansion draft. When you went from 30 to 32, how many players did you let each team protect? Did you set any limits on how many players each team can lose?

It just feels to me that limiting teams to protecting 15 players is just too few. Did you change that?

Also, what was the projected W-L records for the expansion teams, in the preseason picks, under whichever expansion draft settings you chose?
nyy26wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Looks good! I was planning on a 32-team MLB by 1998, but unfortunately my saved game got fried right after I finished the 1989 World Series...
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #27
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy26wc View Post
I'm also planning on having some expansion. I'm considering expanded one of my worlds to 32 teams for 2014. I also hate the wild card and having 8 divisions of 4 lets me get rid of that monstrosity.
Personally, I think 4-team divisions are a bigger monstrosity than the wild card. A 4-team division is fine for the minors, but this is the majors we're talking about. A 4-team division is too small: it doesn't provide enough variety of opponents, it's too easy for one team to dominate, and finding the right balance of games between divisional and non-divisional opponents is problematic.

For me, the perfect division size is 6 teams. Not too large, and not too small. (Unfortunately, 6 does not divide evenly into 32.)
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #28
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Personally, I think 4-team divisions are a bigger monstrosity than the wild card. A 4-team division is fine for the minors, but this is the majors we're talking about. A 4-team division is too small: it doesn't provide enough variety of opponents, it's too easy for one team to dominate, and finding the right balance of games between divisional and non-divisional opponents is problematic.

For me, the perfect division size is 6 teams. Not too large, and not too small. (Unfortunately, 6 does not divide evenly into 32.)
Tell that to the NFL.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Tell that to the NFL.
The NFL is different. That's football, not baseball. The entire regular season is only 16 games long.

(Interesting side note: if the NFL regular season lasted as long as does MLB's or the NHL's - 26 weeks - even allowing for 4 bye weeks the NFL regular season would be 22 games long. At the NBA regular season length - 24 weeks - the NFL could easily play 20 regular season games.)
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #30
Crowbar
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy26wc View Post
My question is the expansion draft. When you went from 30 to 32, how many players did you let each team protect? Did you set any limits on how many players each team can lose?

It just feels to me that limiting teams to protecting 15 players is just too few. Did you change that?

Also, what was the projected W-L records for the expansion teams, in the preseason picks, under whichever expansion draft settings you chose?
I went with 18 protected players in the draft, I got it from another thread:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...uickstart.html

"2. Set expansion draft for two new teams. I set it at 18 protected, less than three years of service, max players lost at 3. I tried to make it like the MLB Expansion Draft of 1998 that had 15, 18, and 21 protected players in the 1st, second, and third rounds respectively by setting to the average of 18."

About your second question:

Pre-season 2014 prediction in my game after expansion draft

Current ML standings after 85 games.

New Jersey Jackals first season team (which I manage):

I decided to keep the wild card, for now.

Last edited by Crowbar; 09-27-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #31
nyy26wc
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post

For me, the perfect division size is 6 teams. Not too large, and no
I'm not sold on the 4 team divisions either. But, for my new league, it's a stopgap. I'm planning on having 3 rounds of expansion.
2014 season--2 teams added, 32 total, 8 divisions of 4
2017 season--4 teams added, 36 total, AL will have 4 divisions of 5, NL will have 4 divisions of 4
2020 season--4 teams added, 40 total, 8 divisions of 5
nyy26wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #32
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

I only play the game as an expansion team.

I enjoy the look of the 32 team league. I too used to have four divisions in each league. I have since moved to just four divisions of eight teams each. Top two from each division make the play-offs.

I found (for me) that this works best for getting the teams with the best records in to the post-season. It is not perfect but seems to be far better then having eight divisions. Over time in the eight division mode, I often found one division ending up with a .500 or less team going to the play-offs.

I also use the large four division format because it gives a little more semblance to the geographical locations of the teams with-in each division.

Finally, I like it because each division looks old school 1940's, 1950's style when there was the American League and the National League with no divisions!

For me, playing with an expansion team is the most challenging way to go. If playing with a smaller market team and keeping trades with-in reason (no rip offs) it can take quite a while to build a winner. OOTP 14 has made significant AI improvements in relation to roster management (no more 4 star puppies passing through the waiver wire). I currently have the Expos back in Montreal. I am at the end of year 3 and looking at another 60-70 win season. Some of my 'great' moves I made have not panned out which has really pissed me off and is why I love this game. Year 5 is when I expect to contend.
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:54 AM   #33
Fiendfyre
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Think NL. In another five years or so we could have the Astros vs the Dodgers in the World Series.
Just looking at old posts for expansion ideas, and I see this. Are you a wizard?
Fiendfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:07 AM   #34
eck.nicholas
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Think NL. In another five years or so we could have the Astros vs the Dodgers in the World Series.

I hope you see this... You were very close... Four years for the Dodgers and Astros WS.

Chop On: Atlanta Braves
eck.nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote